Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Is Fire Emblem any good? I mean, they usually are, but I haven't played one since the first GBA one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
New Leaf is the best Animal Crossing game available and you will love it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

hadji murad posted:

If I played AC:WW 3 or 4 years ago too much will I enjoy New Leaf or have I probably experienced everything the series has to offer.

New Leaf has a ton of new stuff added over Wild World and is the definitive Animal Crossing game. Mosey on over to ye olde Animal Crossing thread. The OP has details about what's changed over previous versions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Honestly I don't even know why people are so eager for a console AC game..I mean, I'd buy it and play it...but handheld seems like the perfect home for a game like this; check in every couple days, play for 20 minutes and be done. AC isn't a series you generally sit down and out several hours into at a time.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Is Fire Emblem any good? I mean, they usually are, but I haven't played one since the first GBA one.

Yes.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

jivjov posted:

Honestly I don't even know why people are so eager for a console AC game..I mean, I'd buy it and play it...but handheld seems like the perfect home for a game like this; check in every couple days, play for 20 minutes and be done. AC isn't a series you generally sit down and out several hours into at a time.

They want the cutest game on the cutest console.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

Many people just don't like playing on handhelds.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't particularly want a console animal crossing game, but a console animal crossing board game is a waste of time, there's already plenty of them on the console and this one looks lame in comparison, when the other board games weren't that hot in the first place anyway.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Playing AC on a Wii U would be horrible.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fuzz posted:

It's also on sale on the Eshop right now so it's the best time to pick it up

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

jivjov posted:

It is if you gently caress with the clock :unsmigghh: I've been playing the Animal Crossing series by binge-playing and resetting the clock forward one day at a time for like an ingame month straight ever since the Gamecube, no matter what console it was played on. (They really should implement a Rune Factory style "sleep in bed = new day" thing for people who like to play like this)

That said both have their advantages and disadvantages, I love curling up to play it in bed with the 3DS but hunting for the smaller bugs on the 3DS screen is a nightmare. I never see them before they fly off unless they're the fuckoff huge tropical bugs on the island.

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 18, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I guess I'm just worried about having another situation where the console version is a glorified port that doesn't bring anything new to the table.

As for time passage...I like that animal crossing operates in real time, but there really needs to be some more official support for players who have a non-standard schedule. Early bird and night owl ordinances help, but I think there's more that can be done.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You could just change your clock to be PM when it's AM and vice versa. Outside of that, those two ordinances are as good as it gets.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I played a lot of AC Wild World, to the point of paying off my debt, and haven't really felt compelled to open it back up or play another one.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Well well well, looks like there's a big (and I mean BIG!) spoiler for Fire Emblem Fates right now:

Child units are back. Unlike Awakening, this apparently happens because of a timeskip, not because of time/dimensional travels.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

soupcan58 posted:

Need a recommendation, goons. I'm wavering between A Link Between Worlds and Star Fox 3D on the E-shop. One you would point me towards over the other?

LBW is really good

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Star Fox 64 takes about 30 minutes to beat. There is a lot of replayability and branching paths, but it is short.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

LBW is really good

Seriously, if you haven't played it yet and you liked LTTP at all, you owe it to yourself to play this one.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

the truth posted:

Star Fox 64 takes about 30 minutes to beat. There is a lot of replayability and branching paths, but it is short.

That's a good thing

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Zonekeeper posted:

Seriously, if you haven't played it yet and you liked LTTP at all, you owe it to yourself to play this one.

This is going to sound like Nintendo Blasphemy but I never really got into LTTP. Granted I picked it up for the first time ever in like 2008 on a ROM, but it never made me jizz my pants like some other people. I liked OoT way more. I don't mind top down RPGs and am not sure if the game is just too dated to appeal to me without any nostalgia whatsoever, or if I just have terrible taste.

Does the new Zelda game still have something to offer for someone like me?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cuckoo posted:

This is going to sound like Nintendo Blasphemy but I never really got into LTTP. Granted I picked it up for the first time ever in like 2008 on a ROM, but it never made me jizz my pants like some other people. I liked OoT way more. I don't mind top down RPGs and am not sure if the game is just too dated to appeal to me without any nostalgia whatsoever, or if I just have terrible taste.

Well movement speed is a lot faster than previous overhead Zelda games and it has better pacing, there are far fewer road blocks.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Cuckoo posted:

I need to give LTTP another shot, because I felt the same way, but I loved LBW.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Animal Crossing on a home console by itself doesn't sound great, but it is a prime candidate for the pipedream "Handheld with a docking station that uoscales to 1080p with improved performance" that some people want NX to be. gently caress around and do chores in short bursts on the handheld, play around on your tv when you have more time and feel like redecorating your house/landscaping/etc.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Back when FE Awakening came out I picked it up to give the FE series a try, but I burnt out on it pretty quick and didn't end up playing much, but with all the new FE stuff getting talked up recently, I want to give it a shot again. Just to clarify some things:

-"Hard" is the series standard and "Normal" is basically Easy Mode, right?
-How vital is Pair Up? I read some stuff where people complained about it being massively overpowered, so I ended up avoiding using it a little bit, but I recall having a lot of trouble as early as Chapter 2 Hard, finding difficulty looking for things to do with my units that didn't get them murdered once my turn ended.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Normal is Easy and Hard is pretty Normal, maybe slightly above it.

Use Pair Up. It's fine, just don't grind to keep the difficulty curve sane.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Motto posted:

Back when FE Awakening came out I picked it up to give the FE series a try, but I burnt out on it pretty quick and didn't end up playing much, but with all the new FE stuff getting talked up recently, I want to give it a shot again. Just to clarify some things:

-"Hard" is the series standard and "Normal" is basically Easy Mode, right?
-How vital is Pair Up? I read some stuff where people complained about it being massively overpowered, so I ended up avoiding using it a little bit, but I recall having a lot of trouble as early as Chapter 2 Hard, finding difficulty looking for things to do with my units that didn't get them murdered once my turn ended.

- Yes.
- It's probably not vital, but it really helps in keeping your units alive, whether it is because the back unit is squishy, you want the stat boosts the back unit gives to the main unit of the pair, or because the units support each other which lets you get even more attacks out of them. If you don't grind, then Pair-Up isn't all that broken.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bravely Second at Treehouse in some 13 minutes.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Cant' wait for the apple fighting simulator of 2015!

EDIT:

"Dear mom, I killed some apples today." :allears:

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 18, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cuckoo posted:

it's almost completely nonlinear, more so than any zelda has been since the first one, so that's kind of neat. you can do the light dungeons in whatever order, and then do the dark world ones in any order (apart from one specific exception). it's cool.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
One thing I really liked about LBW compared to other recent Zeldas is that for a change the gameplay gimmick (turning into a drawing to walk along walls) worked extremely well, fitting into various puzzles in a very organic manner.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

Well well well, looks like there's a big (and I mean BIG!) spoiler for Fire Emblem Fates right now:

Child units are back. Unlike Awakening, this apparently happens because of a timeskip, not because of time/dimensional travels.

Oh good, I'm excited for Nintendo and IntSys to try to tell me that in a world of magic and dragons and time shenanigans and poo poo gay people can't have children.

I really want to be excited for Fire Emblem Fates but they're making it very difficult :argh:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

majormonotone posted:

Oh good, I'm excited for Nintendo and IntSys to try to tell me that in a world of magic and dragons and time shenanigans and poo poo gay people can't have children.

I really want to be excited for Fire Emblem Fates but they're making it very difficult :argh:

Is that confirmed? They seemed to take the criticism of Tomodachi life quite seriously.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

majormonotone posted:

Looking at the screenshot again, it seems that the child comes from the father this time, while the mother decides the hair color.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

majormonotone posted:

Lmao

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

greatn posted:

Is that confirmed? They seemed to take the criticism of Tomodachi life quite seriously.

I'm just guessing, but it wouldn't surprise me

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

MTE. There are not enough facepalms in the world.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

less laughter posted:

MTE. There are not enough facepalms in the world.

how dare i want to be gay in this video game about personal relationships

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I sure hope the next Tomodachi Life has same-sex relationships. The first one looked really cool but I have no interest in playing a life simulation that excludes them.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
The next Tomodachi Life allows same-sex couples to move together but they need to campaign the island government to change legislature to approve same-sex marriage. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tomodachi life is cool for about four hours