Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The only thing that bugged me about the weapons is that their animations need to be exaggerated. It's like a year from release so they could be tweaked a bunch until then.

I want to say this is one of my favorite video game tropes but now I can't actually think of when that has happened. :psyduck:

The jetpack soldiers in SIN Emergence do it if you kill them the right way. Shooting the flame tank on someone using the flamethrower in the UT2K4 mod Ballistic Weapons will make them fly straight up and spin around, then explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The only thing that bugged me about the weapons is that their animations need to be exaggerated. It's like a year from release so they could be tweaked a bunch until then.

I want to say this is one of my favorite video game tropes but now I can't actually think of when that has happened. :psyduck:

Metroid Prime flying space pirates. Quake 2 Icarus strogg.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I think lizard captain in DNF also does this

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The Atlas Rocketeers in Borderlands' Secret Armory of General Knoxx DLC do it.

Also in Monday Night Combat if you kill a jetpack-equipped player while they're flying.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
How the hell did I forget about all those? Those are awesome. Lizardtrooper is probably my favorite. So satisfying.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

My favorite are the cacodemons from the BURL TUMD gameplay mod, which fly around the level like a punctured balloon making deflating noises when killed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Woolie Wool posted:

My favorite are the cacodemons from the BURL TUMD gameplay mod, which fly around the level like a punctured balloon making deflating noises when killed.

I need to play this :stare:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35458

Here you go.

the readme posted:

you no am BRUTAL DOOM you am BURL TUMD

you must KILL DEMNS with GNUS

go now BURL TUMD and become ru DNESTIY

Unfortunately you can't beat a demon to death with a gnu and someone should come up with some gnu sprites and mooing noises to make it happen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

czg posted:

Castlevania: Lord Of Shadow had parts near the end of the game that looked exactly like a Beksinski painting. That game had amazing art direction overall, well worth playing through for the visuals.
In my opinion neither Beksinski nor Barlowe are very Doom, but they're hella cool anyway!

Ugh I got halfway through that game and got stuck on a lovely boss fight. I guess I should soldier on through. I was enjoying it up until that part, but I really really just want to skip that fight, I'm so sick of having to play the whole thing over again...

Turin Turambar posted:

It's a balance issue.

The weapons do 2-3 times less damage because there will be 2-3 times less enemies, so the enemies need to be 2-3 times tougher, that's why the weapons seem to do less damage.

Yeah, but this is like admitting inherently that Doom 4 is lovely. The enemy count should determine the enemy model polycount, not the other way around!
I'm so sick of FPS games with bullet sponge enemies.
We need to go back to the Doom days where there were no tougher enemies, your only option was MORE AND MORE of them.

I miss sprites :smith:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

closeted republican posted:

The new 3DR and iD are two different things. 3DR is much smaller, which gives them wiggle room to do more experimental things like make new 2.5 FPSD games. iD is just a branch of a very large and public corporation, which has shareholders putting pressure on them to make the most money possible. A new and modern Doom game has far larger sales potential than a new Doom engine game meant to appeal to grognards.
Well, yeah, realistically id wouldn't be making anything else. I was just saying those grognards thirsting for a new 2.5 FPS might actually be getting one, from the sounds of things - it just won't be from id, and it certainly wouldn't ever have been the new Doom game.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Echoing earlier posts that Sunlust is really good and you should play it

I've been running through it with Smooth Doom and the Doom64 weapon sprites and varied enemies and it's a ton of fun

I did discover that Smooth Doom and the pistol start wad that pops up in here are incompatible though, so idclev it is for my pistol starts

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

my bony fealty posted:

Echoing earlier posts that Sunlust is really good and you should play it

I've been running through it with Smooth Doom and the Doom64 weapon sprites and varied enemies and it's a ton of fun

I did discover that Smooth Doom and the pistol start wad that pops up in here are incompatible though, so idclev it is for my pistol starts

There's a smooth doom compatible pistol start wad in the op.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

closeted republican posted:

The new 3DR and iD are two different things. 3DR is much smaller, which gives them wiggle room to do more experimental things like make new 2.5 FPSD games. iD is just a branch of a very large and public corporation, which has shareholders putting pressure on them to make the most money possible. A new and modern Doom game has far larger sales potential than a new Doom engine game meant to appeal to grognards.

Zenimax isn't public.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
Doom4 looks good in screenshots. I don't quite understand why you'd design a fast paced shooter then populate it with slow melee only zombies, or laser wielding bulletsponges with a reluctance to shoot. There's very little threat . Although the monsties react physically to being shot there's only blood splatter on the scenery when they die* and no bullet holes, F.E.A.R had this nailed a decade ago and it adds so much. The monsties are also pretty quiet, arms being chainsawed off? no problem

I'd trade a smaller (potentially uglier) visible area for the chance of more action, and the more enemies you can display the more varied the gameplay you can create.I suppose we'll find out when the beta drops.

*unless they get stomped with a kill move, which is clean somehow

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Szymanski posted:

Doom4 looks good in screenshots. I don't quite understand why you'd design a fast paced shooter then populate it with slow melee only zombies, or laser wielding bulletsponges with a reluctance to shoot. There's very little threat ...

All of the monsters in the original Doom games are much slower than your player character.

Here's a list:
Imp, Baron of Hell, Cacodemon, Heavy weapon dude, Hell Knight, Lost Soul (normal), Mancubus, Pain Elemental, Shotgun Guy, Zombieman, Wolfenstein SS: 8 map units per frame
Demon, Revenant, Spectre: 10 map units per frame
Arachnotron, Spiderdemon: 12 map units per frame
Arch-Vile: 15 map units per frame
Cyberdemon: 16 map units per frame
Lost Soul (attacking): 20 map units per frame

And here's the player:
24 map units per frame (walking)
50 map units per frame (running)
64 map units per frame (SR40)
70.7 map units per frame (SR50)

You can outrun any monster in the game just by walking. While running you're more than triple the speed of any enemy except an attacking Lost Soul.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Not gonna lie, the game itself may look basic but the engine looks sweet as gently caress. Wish I had money for upgrading :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I kind of hate Map 01 from Doom 2. It's like everything they got right with E1M1 isn't there. It's WAY too small, even for an intro map.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Szymanski posted:

Doom4 looks good in screenshots. I don't quite understand why you'd design a fast paced shooter then populate it with slow melee only zombies, or laser wielding bulletsponges with a reluctance to shoot. There's very little threat . Although the monsties react physically to being shot there's only blood splatter on the scenery when they die* and no bullet holes, F.E.A.R had this nailed a decade ago and it adds so much. The monsties are also pretty quiet, arms being chainsawed off? no problem

I'd trade a smaller (potentially uglier) visible area for the chance of more action, and the more enemies you can display the more varied the gameplay you can create.I suppose we'll find out when the beta drops.

*unless they get stomped with a kill move, which is clean somehow

That's almost all because this is the second time they showed this game and it's still more than a year out. They probably only have the Revanants, imps, and Zombiemen/plasmamen as working enemies right now.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Elliotw2 posted:

That's almost all because this is the second time they showed this game and it's still more than a year out. They probably only have the Revanants, imps, and Zombiemen/plasmamen as working enemies right now.
This is kind of offtopic, but I've never really liked this excuse. The whole point of them showing us the game at E3 is to get us excited, right? So if it's not working, the "it's still in development" excuse seems like a cop-out. I mean, Doom 4 didn't even have one of those "ALPHA GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE SUBJECT TO CHANGE" disclaimers you usually see on early games.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

arcsig posted:

This is kind of offtopic, but I've never really liked this excuse. The whole point of them showing us the game at E3 is to get us excited, right? So if it's not working, the "it's still in development" excuse seems like a cop-out. I mean, Doom 4 didn't even have one of those "ALPHA GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE SUBJECT TO CHANGE" disclaimers you usually see on early games.

It's working for a lot of people dude.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I kind of hate Map 01 from Doom 2. It's like everything they got right with E1M1 isn't there. It's WAY too small, even for an intro map.

Use maps of chaos?

Unrelated, are there any classic shadow warrior mods worth checking out?

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Nintendo Kid posted:

I know, and I'm one of them. The game looks cool. I was just throwing out some thoughts.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

arcsig posted:

Yeah but they didn't have that disclaimer on the old trailers before it got reworked either (just did a quick check on one trailer that i could find on yt)

Until it's out everything is subject to change

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Nintendo Kid posted:

All of the monsters in the original Doom games are much slower than your player character.

Of those only the Demon/Spectre and lost soul won't deal projectile damage, and you'd place Demons with other monsters to create time pressure. That doesn't happen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiinO9JPUGw at 8:25 onwards, obviously it's just a showcase but those enemies look remarkably limited.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Klaus88 posted:

Unrelated, are there any classic shadow warrior mods worth checking out?

there are very few mods (or TC's) at all, every one of them collected here: http://swcentral.weebly.com/maps--codes.html

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

site posted:

Yeah but they didn't have that disclaimer on the old trailers before it got reworked either (just did a quick check on one trailer that i could find on yt)

Until it's out everything is subject to change

There were no old trailers before it got reworked, just some unofficially leaked footage uploaded by a former id employee(s).

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Nintendo Kid posted:

And here's the player:
24 map units per frame (walking)
50 map units per frame (running)
64 map units per frame (SR40)
70.7 map units per frame (SR50)

You can outrun any monster in the game just by walking. While running you're more than triple the speed of any enemy except an attacking Lost Soul.
Yeah, no. You think the player moves 840 units/sec when walking?

The player walks at about 8 units/tic. The absolute max the player can run (without wallrunning), using SR50, is ~23.3 units per tic.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

He forgot to divide monster speeds by the length of each animation frame--e.g. the zombieman moves 8 tics every time it calls A_Chase but only calls it every 4 tics so the total is 2 units/tic or 70 units/second.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

How is this a defense of anything.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Can eDuke32 do Shadow Warrior's tilting floor thing? Just curious.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Groovelord Neato posted:

How is this a defense of anything.
Because arcsig posted

arcsig posted:

The whole point of them showing us the game at E3 is to get us excited, right? So if it's not working,
But like, it is working. For the vast majority of the viewing audience.

I guess it's not as much a defense as a rebuttal? The point is that "it's not working" isn't true outside of like, 50% of this thread maybe and some other niche places on the internet.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

"It's not working" wasn't a point I was trying to make, just a theoretical scenario. I was just trying to say that if someone isn't excited for Doom 4, I don't think "well it's still in development" is a good excuse.

arcsig fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 18, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's fair. I don't really believe it's early enough in development that that's much of an excuse.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The majority of the enemies are probably going to be slow-moving melee-only zombies and the Doom 3-style imps.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
And I'm okay with that. Other than the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind, were any of the enemies in the originals really an individual threat? And once you learn to manage those even they're not too bad.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Individual threats? :confused:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Linguica posted:

Yeah, no. You think the player moves 840 units/sec when walking?
Green is really frickin' Turbo!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Keiya posted:

And I'm okay with that. Other than the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind, were any of the enemies in the originals really an individual threat?

Yes.

I don't know how you're okay with what he said anyway because the threat most of the time was dodging projectiles being spewed from the enemies (aren't demons/spectres the only melee enemy?).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 18, 2015

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I've heard Hard Reset is a pretty good Doom clone. Anyone played it?

E;
Wrack also

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Keiya posted:

And I'm okay with that. Other than the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind, were any of the enemies in the originals really an individual threat? And once you learn to manage those even they're not too bad.

Chaingunners and revenants, definitely. A single Archvile can be an absolutely dire threat in the right circumstances.