Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
007 Game Boy is just a random hodgepodge of characters and vaguely Bond-esque stuff. I seem to recall there being a MI6 agent posing as a yeti in the Tibet stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

FIRST TIME posted:

Can anyone tell me how to identify which Genesis Model 2 is the "good" one?

I have 3 of them and I only want to keep one so I'd like to know which one I should keep.

I think it's somewhat complex, but for the better video encoder check underneath. The motherboard is smaller which should be visible through the fins on the bottom. There should be mostly empty space in view (not mostly rf shield)

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Use this thread

FIRST TIME posted:

I have 3 of them and I only want to keep one so I'd like to know which one I should keep.

Try this: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?7796-GUIDE-Telling-apart-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Random Stranger how far did you make it on that game? I own a complete nstc n64 collection and make it a effort to play each game as much as I can. I only made it to a pyramid level in Armorines and it had a bullshit goal that you had to destroy every single egg. However you can leave the level with one egg undestroyed and it fails you.

Oh and you probably have no clue where the end of the level is so the first time you will likely fail this.

That's where I went, "Nope! This isn't getting any better!" though I gave up before I hit that problem. I was more frustrated by things like walking off the edges of cliffs because you just can't tell there's anything there.

Why are we getting Shenmue 3 instead of Zombie Dinos 2?!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

Why are we getting Shenmue 3 instead of Zombie Dinos 2?!

Because we wanted it more, and don't you dare try and take it away from us now we have it :toughguy:.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

pairofdimes posted:

Cats like Everdrives too:

(Parent's cat guarding the Everdrive I had shipped to their house since I was moving at the time.)

Handsome kitty! :swoon:

Tyson Tomko posted:

"Grab that PS2 memory card man it's cool, I won't attack your hand or anything if you get near my belly...c'mon man do it"

All 4 cats I've lived with in my lifetime were belly traps, but this one's a reel angler fish. Use tongs. Then tong him.

Tyson Tomko posted:

I thank you with this really old picture of my cat Spice going after John Goodman (Rosanne) on an old CRT a co-worker gave to me that's long since dead. :rip: That sucker was 31+ inches and is the heaviest CRT I've lifted to date. I've got a split level house, so hauling that mother fucker up a few steps, turning, then up a few more steps was torture. Dumbass me had to have my plasma setup downstairs.

That doesn't really look like a 30-32 incher, more like 20. Is Spice a large kitty? Also post Spice in the YOSPOS cat thread, he and his namesake will fit in thematically with a couple of the current residents.

I wish I could share pics, but I have neither retro games nor cats anymore. :(

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Ofecks posted:

That doesn't really look like a 30-32 incher, more like 20. Is Spice a large kitty? Also post Spice in the YOSPOS cat thread, he and his namesake will fit in thematically with a couple of the current residents.

I'm in the mood to cat pic it up so I may do that sure. Which thread was that? I must be blind.

Everyone first reaction when they see him is "man that's a big cat!" but it's all muscle, dude is large and in charge. It's been a few years back and I could be slippin, but it was definitely at least a 27". I had a 20" for a long time so I can confidently say it was way bigger than that. It's a wide rear end coffee table too. I could always go hog wild when I get home and measure those picture/dvds/candle/etc so I could get some good scale and figure out how big it was based on that picture or maybe I'm crazy who knows. One final cat picture for now. Spice enjoying the box my new hedge trimmers came in:

It was a sad day when that thing died though. One day it just turned to Predator (without the mask) vision and was redder than red. It was all good though, because when it died it finally gave me a justifable excuse to get a plasma for the living room too. No regrets! (I've got a 25" Sanyo in the game room and a 13" Trinitron in guest room now)

Oh oh and quick story about Spice. Originally he and his sister were dropped off at the shelter at around 6 months of age. One was really nice and one was really mean, so they named them Sugar and Spice. Sugar was adopted instantly, Spice sat there for over a year. We started volunteering there one summer (before we had a cat, to get our animal fix) and this one cat just kept following the wife and I around loving us to death. This lead to that, and Spice became ours. I've had several great cats over my 31 years but this cat just owns. He's the only cat I've ever had that obeys voice commmands pretty much all the time. My first orange catte too!

VVVV And seriously, people online sperg about Genesis audio all the time, but if you actually have them setup side by side and listen to I think most versions are very tolerable, just a little different from each other. YMMV but try to listen to what you can on youtube or what not beforehand to decide for yourself.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 18, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FIRST TIME posted:

Genesis pro-tip: Any Genesis has great video encoder output if it's run through the 32X's pass through, regardless of playing 32X games or not!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aren't all Genesis models (except for 3) RGB-capable? I thought the main sticking point for a Genesis was the audio quality? At least, that's what I'm getting off this guide.

http://retrorgb.com/genesisversions.html

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm sure everyone's aware of the recently-announced Rare Replay compilation for Xbone but I wanna mention it again because I'm shocked that it's happening at all, let alone that they seem to be doing a great job with it. I'm not even a huge Rare fan but if you own a bone and don't buy Rare Replay you're insanely hosed up.

Yeah, that's an insane compilation, and it's especially nice to see Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini come out of purgatory, not to mention Battletoads Arcade. I don't have an Xbox One, but I do have access to one, so I will probably be picking it up. Also, that's nearly every non-XBLA 360 game I had a passing interest in on one disc!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Comparisons of genesis sounds for all four variations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn2-K8TkXCs

I think the only one that really sounds awful is the Genny2.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Yeah, that's an insane compilation, and it's especially nice to see Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini come out of purgatory, not to mention Battletoads Arcade. I don't have an Xbox One, but I do have access to one, so I will probably be picking it up. Also, that's nearly every non-XBLA 360 game I had a passing interest in on one disc!

I was more interested in the Spectrum ports myself since there's some well regarded games that never came out in the US in there. I'll have to get a Xbone for $20 ten years from now just for that collection! :v:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ChaosArgate posted:

Aren't all Genesis models (except for 3) RGB-capable? I thought the main sticking point for a Genesis was the audio quality? At least, that's what I'm getting off this guide.

http://retrorgb.com/genesisversions.html

They are, but if you're stuck with Composite or S-Video, you want to try and find a Sony encoder since they have less color bleed and are sharper. There's not really any way to see what encoder you have without just opening the console or hooking it up though.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

I was more interested in the Spectrum ports myself since there's some well regarded games that never came out in the US in there. I'll have to get a Xbone for $20 ten years from now just for that collection! :v:

Yeah, those interest me a lot, too. Jetpac is a lot of fun. I still wonder what the legal situation was in not having to tear that out of DK64 on the Wii U Virtual Console.

My only mild disappointment with the collection–and it is very mild–is the lack of a handful of games like Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, Monster Max, and Conker's Pocket Tales, but the reasons for their absence are obvious.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm still mad that the Goldeneye re-release never happened all down to Nintendo being dicks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm still mad that the Goldeneye re-release never happened all down to Nintendo being dicks.

It did happen, didn't you play the Wii version? :v:

Seriously though, the Wii version's actually pretty good.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I was just reading the Goldeneye issue of Nintendo Power which also featured part 3 of the Blast Corps comic so wonderful timing! Now all I need is an xbone.

That video makes model 2s sound way worse than I think they do but who knows everyone is different. I still use my X'Eye for most Genesis gaming so maybe that's why who knows (that thing has incredible sound)

I also think the game you play makes a huge difference. Some really Genesis guitar-ish audio is way more noticeable than other sounds/music. Anyways though there are so many model 2s out there for mega cheap give them a good home (in addition to a model 1 of course)

This video is also pretty good, and it shows a caption at the bottom of which model/type of Genesis it is at all times making it easy to compare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-KsaGBUVz4
(using Sonic music)

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 18, 2015

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I haven't had a chance to take new pictures, but I hate to not contribute to the cats and games party, so : cats and games

ok also cats and Windy Gaming but hey why not

he's sitting on Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing (and a bunch of other stuff but hey)

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 18, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Tyson Tomko posted:

I was just reading the Goldeneye issue of Nintendo Power which also featured part 3 of the Blast Corps comic so wonderful timing! Now all I need is an xbone.

That video makes model 2s sound way worse than I think they do but who knows everyone is different. I still use my X'Eye for most Genesis gaming so maybe that's why who knows (that thing has incredible sound)

I also think the game you play makes a huge difference. Some really Genesis guitar-ish audio is way more noticeable than other sounds/music. Anyways though there are so many model 2s out there for mega cheap give them a good home (in addition to a model 1 of course)

This video is also pretty good, and it shows a caption at the bottom of which model/type of Genesis it is at all times making it easy to compare

(using Sonic music)

It's a bit hard to directly compare Genesis sound chips without showing the scan of the motherboard since Sega did like 30 revisions of the audio circuit in the Model 2 alone.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Elliotw2 posted:

It's a bit hard to directly compare Genesis sound chips without showing the scan of the motherboard since Sega did like 30 revisions of the audio circuit in the Model 2 alone.

Totally agreed but while that youtube video I linked doesn't show every possible variant, they do show short motherboard variants and show many more than I thought they would. They even whip out an X'eye woohoo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It did happen, didn't you play the Wii version? :v:

Seriously though, the Wii version's actually pretty good.

No I played that and it was awful and not actually Goldeneye at all.

There was to be a full HD rerelease of Goldeneye from N64 on the Xbox 360, just like the Perfect Dark rerelease. Rare and Microsoft had gotten licensing signoffs from the James Bond people and whichever company held the console James Bond license at the time (I think it was EA) and the only barrier standing in the way was Nintendo who just needed to agree due to their part-ownership. Nintendo refused, even though the release of the game would have brought them royalty payments for no investment from them. Total dicks.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So this is kind of a first-world-problems question, but I'll ask anyway: is there a particular reason Mega Man Legacy Collection won't have shoulder-button weapon-switching? I can only assume it's to make the games play exactly like they did on the NES, which lacked shoulder buttons in the first place, but the feature was a pretty big QoL improvement for some of my friends when it was added into later games and ports, and they're not exactly thrilled.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
^^ buncha babies

Nintendo's business model is that their games stay on their systems and it's been working out for them pretty loving well.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

So this is kind of a first-world-problems question, but I'll ask anyway: is there a particular reason Mega Man Legacy Collection won't have shoulder-button weapon-switching? I can only assume it's to make the games play exactly like they did on the NES, which lacked shoulder buttons in the first place, but the feature was a pretty big QoL improvement for some of my friends when it was added into later games and ports, and they're not exactly thrilled.

Has this been confirmed? Funnily enough, if memory serves the Mega Man Anniversary Collection from the PS2/Gamecube does does have these QoL improvements.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

univbee posted:

Has this been confirmed? Funnily enough, if memory serves the Mega Man Anniversary Collection from the PS2/Gamecube does does have these QoL improvements.
Second bullet under "And a few new details from the stream commentary:".

quote:

• No shoulder button weapon switching

And yes, it does! Of course, it also has jump on B on GameCube, so that's kind of a one-step-forward-two-steps-back situation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caitlin posted:

^^ buncha babies

Nintendo's business model is that their games stay on their systems and it's been working out for them pretty loving well.

Yeah there's no way Nintendo would sign off on a game for another console they don't own, even if it's making them money in the process.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah there's no way Nintendo would sign off on a game for another console they don't own, even if it's making them money in the process.

Just like there was no way that Microsoft was going to sign off on virtual console releases even for things they wouldn't have directly competing products for like Battletoads and Blast Corps. It's not 1983 anymore, no one is going to license their stuff for a competing platform.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Posting this video again because after watching it in full on my lunch break and learned a bunch. I never even thought about throwing a Nomad in the mix and listening to it (which I have :hellyeah:)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Caitlin posted:

The story goes that Nintendo of America was down for it, but NCL got a whiff and welp.

Random Stranger posted:

Just like there was no way that Microsoft was going to sign off on virtual console releases even for things they wouldn't have directly competing products for like Battletoads and Blast Corps. It's not 1983 anymore, no one is going to license their stuff for a competing platform.
Microsoft have worked with Nintendo in regards to Rare stuff in the past, most notably in the GBA and DS era, and apparently aren't against doing it again. Stranger things have happened in the past week alone, I guess...

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Tyson Tomko posted:

I'm in the mood to cat pic it up so I may do that sure. Which thread was that? I must be blind.

Everyone first reaction when they see him is "man that's a big cat!" but it's all muscle, dude is large and in charge. It's been a few years back and I could be slippin, but it was definitely at least a 27". I had a 20" for a long time so I can confidently say it was way bigger than that. It's a wide rear end coffee table too. I could always go hog wild when I get home and measure those picture/dvds/candle/etc so I could get some good scale and figure out how big it was based on that picture or maybe I'm crazy who knows. One final cat picture for now. Spice enjoying the box my new hedge trimmers came in:

YOSPOS cat thread is here. Started in 2009 (!), but if you wanted to read the whole thing like I've been doing (you crazy), skip until 2011 when Imgur replaced WaffleImages as the go-to hoster. Anyway, Spice is a gigantic cat because that TV you posted really doesn't look that big.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Oh oh and quick story about Spice. Originally he and his sister were dropped off at the shelter at around 6 months of age. One was really nice and one was really mean, so they named them Sugar and Spice. Sugar was adopted instantly, Spice sat there for over a year. We started volunteering there one summer (before we had a cat, to get our animal fix) and this one cat just kept following the wife and I around loving us to death. This lead to that, and Spice became ours. I've had several great cats over my 31 years but this cat just owns. He's the only cat I've ever had that obeys voice commmands pretty much all the time. My first orange catte too!

That's awesome. He chose you, as many a rescue cat does. And you got to skip a portion of his teenage shithead years. :3:

Caitlin posted:

I haven't had a chance to take new pictures, but I hate to not contribute to the cats and games party, so : cats and games

ok also cats and Windy Gaming but hey why not

he's sitting on Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing (and a bunch of other stuff but hey)

Eeeeee stripies! :kimchi: These are good cattes. You forgot their names, though, silly.

What's that FDS game with the cat on the cover?

I'm surprised Wizards & Warriors isn't on that Rare compilation. Seems like everyone I knew who had a NES in the late 80's had it, so I assumed it was super-popular.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Tyson Tomko posted:

Posting this video again because after watching it in full on my lunch break and learned a bunch. I never even thought about throwing a Nomad in the mix and listening to it (which I have :hellyeah:)

So... which one had the better sound? The CDX didn't sound too bad to me.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

RadicalR posted:

So... which one had the better sound? The CDX didn't sound too bad to me.

Generally the Model 1 non-TMSS is the top choice for a lot of people. After listening to the entire video, I'm content with the X'Eye as that's what I have.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Ofecks posted:

Eeeeee stripies! :kimchi: These are good cattes. You forgot their names, though, silly.

What's that FDS game with the cat on the cover?

The cat in those pictures is Ness, that's just him cuddling with me in sunlight vs. indoor light. My other cat is Danzig but I have no pictures of him with games. Perhaps I will be able to harass them both for amusing things soon.

FDS game is a complete copy of Koneko Monogatari - The Adventures of Chatran. More colloquially known as The Adventures of Milo & Otis. Scooped from Windy, of course.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Caitlin posted:

Ness ... Danzig

Excellent catte names.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Caitlin posted:

FDS game is a complete copy of Koneko Monogatari - The Adventures of Chatran. More colloquially known as The Adventures of Milo & Otis. Scooped from Windy, of course.

:aaa: As a youngster, I was lucky enough to have had access to the Disney channel when it was a premium subscription thing. I remember when I first saw the movie on there and thought it was the greatest thing, probably 1990-ish. No idea they made a game about it.

Cute cats, btw. They look like quite the pair. Did you adopt them together or separately?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Silhouette posted:

Excellent catte names.

Thank you :3:

Ofecks posted:

:aaa: As a youngster, I was lucky enough to have had access to the Disney channel when it was a premium subscription thing. I remember when I first saw the movie on there and thought it was the greatest thing, probably 1990-ish. No idea they made a game about it.

Cute cats, btw. They look like quite the pair. Did you adopt them together or separately?

Yeah, I saw it in theaters as a kid. I also have a working FDS and am a crazy cat lady, so it was really a no-brainer. It's nothing special, it's a very easy platformer in which you play as a cat. Clearly a children's level game. But it's cute. I'm happy I have it.

Separately - Danzig is 14 and Ness is 4. They're also fruits for each other. :kimchi: I went to the store to buy new food dishes for Danzig with rubber feet because they slip around a lot since he likes to move them. I came home with a cat too. :ohdear: He cried every time I walked by his plexiglass cage and only at me. He was 7 months old when I got him and already weighed 12 lbs. He is a huge cat. Adopted to me at the rate for adult cats because he spent 7 months in a cage (they had his birth date).

vv things I tried not to bring up in the thread, but good job :smith:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 18, 2015

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Ofecks posted:

I first watched it in my mid 20s, and it absolutely horrified me. Like, holy poo poo, they seriously shoved a kitten into a pack of sea birds to get attacked?

And then I heard they went through 30 kittens to get that scene of the cat falling off a cliff.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Codiekitty posted:

I first watched it in my mid 20s, and it absolutely horrified me. Like, holy poo poo, they seriously shoved a kitten into a pack of sea birds to get attacked?

And then I heard they went through 30 kittens to get that scene of the cat falling off a cliff.

Well this just ruined that movie for me :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quidnose posted:

Well this just ruined that movie for me :(

It gets worse than that. While no one has been ever able to confirm anything officially, the stories of the treatment the animals received on that film are horrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Man I am so glad this thread got derailed to talk about stories of mutilating animals when discussing an FDS game with pictures of my cats.

You guys suck.

• Locked thread