Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I hope The Master is the bad guy again and he's just moved on from mutants to androids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Here's hoping cooking is more useful/easier than in Skyrim

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If the guitar flamethrower from Fury Road is in Fallout 4 as a usable weapon then I will take back everything negative I've ever said.

Also I know Todd Howard is a known liar but didn't he say you could walk away or even attack people during conversations in the demonstration? So you technically have 6 options during dialogue.

Seven if you count Alt-F4'ing out of the game, and eight if you pull out the system's power cable!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

"Hey conjuror, how's about conjuring me up some food?"... after putting a single point into conjuring and summoning a single atronach.

The official point at which they start doing it is when your skill rank is 30 in Skryim, which is definitely absurd. It was 70 in Oblivion, which was more reasonable.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Filthy Casual posted:

Since you're bringing me into this, yeah, I would like to see the world react to me a lot more. It just doesn't require a voiced protagonist to achieve that. If I get caught being a douchebag to people, I expect to be treated as such. I always felt like that was a missed opportunity with all the unique clothing in the game that people didn't react to anything but partial nudity. Naughty Nightwear/Sexy Sleepwear could elicit cat calls, certain Power Armors might warrant some hushed whispers. Stealth armor gets "can't be much of a ninja if I can see you".

Maybe they could talk about the location, for instance what patrolling the Mojave feels like, or what the Legion can count on? Would be exciting.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Patrolling Boston feels like a nuclear winter

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The best was the dude who was like "profligates like you belong on the cross" when I'm idolized by the legion and loving single handedly wrecked the ncr. Then if I killed him the legion would get mad. Disrespectful fucks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

frajaq posted:

Patrolling Boston feels like a nuclear winter

Ave, true to Fieri.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So we know also for a fact that each press of a conversation button doesn't take you to four other options, meaning the total number of different things you can say is probably more than exactly four?

I'm imagining it being more like, you can pick one of four things and one of those options might give you four more options. You can still walk away or shoot the person, but you just have another dialogue branch with four additional options. I imagine if you walk away at that point and come back it'll reset or something.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Volkerball posted:

The best was the dude who was like "profligates like you belong on the cross" when I'm idolized by the legion and loving single handedly wrecked the ncr. Then if I killed him the legion would get mad. Disrespectful fucks.

Clearly then you should start your own goddamn faction in which you are always the boss and best person ever. Between the Brotherhood, the NCR and the Legion, you're always some sort of useful tool and never even really much of a friend.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fallout 4 >> Gameplay Effects and Changes >> new equipment

v.1.1

This mod adds a Yankees cap which, when worn, makes all NPCs become immediately hostile toward the player, as well as all mutants and some mole rats.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

It would be a nice change of pace if there was a sect of the Enclave that were the relatively good guys (maybe at the expense of someone else). And the Brotherhood were assholes just trying to steal the Enclaves tech who were using it to help people.

Like the Enclave builds a water pump in a village and the brotherhood comes in and takes it, leaving them to die of thirst.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 18, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

So we know also for a fact that each press of a conversation button doesn't take you to four other options, meaning the total number of different things you can say is probably more than exactly four?

I'm imagining it being more like, you can pick one of four things and one of those options might give you four more options. You can still walk away or shoot the person, but you just have another dialogue branch with four additional options. I imagine if you walk away at that point and come back it'll reset or something.

this is called a dialog tree and has been in every single bethesda game since Morrowind, I cannot imagine they would remove it for Fallout 4.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Hihohe posted:

It would be a nice change of pace if there was a sect of the Enclave that were the relatively good guys (maybe at the expense of someone else). And the Brotherhood were assholes just trying to steal the Enclaves tech who were using it to help people.

Like the Enclave builds a water pump in a village and the brotherhood comes in and takes it, leaving them to die of thirst.

I said before that the Brotherhood should become villains. New Vegas showed that they become less and less relevant as civilization starts to recover, to the point where even they acknowledge that they're dying out. It wouldn't be too big a stretch to have someone try to organize them into stopping the emerging nations to revert things to the lawless wasteland full of barely functional scavengers where they flourished. Going to great extremes to do so because things have reached a tipping point and they will lose all remaining power unless it's done soon.

The Enclave could do the opposite, siding with whoever they see as the inheritor of America and try to keep the renewal going.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

"Hey conjuror, how's about conjuring me up some food?"... after putting a single point into conjuring and summoning a single atronach.

Admittedly, in real life everyone would start bugging you and making fun of you and demanding that you make them money and food as soon as you demonstrated conjuring ability.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

chitoryu12 posted:

Admittedly, in real life everyone would start bugging you and making fun of you and demanding that you make them money and food as soon as you demonstrated conjuring ability.

You'd think the ability to summon powerful ethereal swords and vicious spirits would put a stop to that quickly.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Considering half the stuff you summon is demonic, I'd be worried about someone summoning food that would result in some Daedric chest burster.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

""Favor the bow, eh? I'm a sword man, myself," a remark that lends itself to sexual innuendo easily enough that many guards have probably died uttering the phrase.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Grinning Goblin posted:

Considering half the stuff you summon is demonic, I'd be worried about someone summoning food that would result in some Daedric chest burster.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'd be more worried that since everything else you summon disappears after a while, eating conjured food means you're in best case filling your stomach for a few minutes, worst case you will die after a certain time since a not insignificant part of your body's cells will suddenly disappear.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I thought a cool story thing for the Enclave empire would be if they start trying to bring America back, but still think wastelanders arnt true citizens. So wastelanders are allowed in the enclave towns but are second class citizens. What kind of america would be complete without rights advocates?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wonder if the bug parts someone found earlier are part of some kind of cooking craft thing that sort of functions like alchemy.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Hihohe posted:

I thought a cool story thing for the Enclave empire would be if they start trying to bring America back, but still think wastelanders arnt true citizens. So wastelanders are allowed in the enclave towns but are second class citizens. What kind of america would be complete without rights advocates?

No better way to start an American empire than displacing its native population and declaring yourself superior to them.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Enclave WASPs be like " Oh, you live in the wastelands? But you're so well spoken!"

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

frajaq posted:

Here's hoping cooking is more useful/easier than in Skyrim

now im hoping theres an option to eat dogmeat

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

Anyway, here's the 2nd of that thing by Twenty Sided, discussing how dumb Megaton and Dad are in Fallout 3.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27091#more-27091

Not without it's flaws but ultimately a good dissection of some of the stupidity of fallout 3. Given Skyrim only improved on areas that didn't even need much improvement I'm not optimistic regarding these facets of fallout 4.

PervertedLogic
Aug 14, 2003

bitcoin bastard posted:

now im hoping theres an option to eat dogmeat

Sadly, no romance options.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I Am A Robot posted:

Not without it's flaws but ultimately a good dissection of some of the stupidity of fallout 3. Given Skyrim only improved on areas that didn't even need much improvement I'm not optimistic regarding these facets of fallout 4.

Some of his logic is fairly specious though. Like the idea for giving everyone Mr Handy robots for water; it takes a full day to fill up a single bottle of water. Basically 3 cups every 24 hours. That is not enough to live off of, and even if it was, there aren't 2000+ Mr Handy robots left in the wastelands. I'm not even sure if there's 50 of them (Enough for all of Megaton).

The food argument I'll give him, and as for the enclave and the water purifier he's ignoring the Enclave's stated goal of using the clean water as leverage over the rest of the wasteland in their bid to take over. I'm not convinced his Nazi/Polio analogy is without flaws.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
That man cares more about Fallout 3 than I care about anything. If you slit my throat and left me to bleed out, I would not be able to summon an emotional attachment to my life that would equal the loathing that man has for a stupid video game. I could almost envy that, if I were retarded and it wasn't directed toward a loving silly video game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

khy posted:

Some of his logic is fairly specious though. Like the idea for giving everyone Mr Handy robots for water; it takes a full day to fill up a single bottle of water. Basically 3 cups every 24 hours. That is not enough to live off of, and even if it was, there aren't 2000+ Mr Handy robots left in the wastelands. I'm not even sure if there's 50 of them (Enough for all of Megaton).

The food argument I'll give him, and as for the enclave and the water purifier he's ignoring the Enclave's stated goal of using the clean water as leverage over the rest of the wasteland in their bid to take over. I'm not convinced his Nazi/Polio analogy is without flaws.

He'd probably be able to pick up on that if the game actually tried to present Autumn's side like the competent force it should be. What you mostly get to see, as far as the game goes, is the AI's stupid plan, which is probably only a result of the Enclave being insane enough to put Dick Richardson into his database.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Just that the story isn't good, which is a valid argument, but also one I don't care about at all because even in rpgs I care more about the core gameplay.

But the gameplay isn't good either

I like Bethesda games too, it's just that you can't think about them too much.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

But the gameplay isn't good either

I like Bethesda games too, it's just that you can't think about them too much.

Fallout 3 was a fun game that I didn't get tired of and hiring iD and Bungie personnel to work on the core combat is a good thing to look forward to.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hihohe posted:

*Todd Howard reclines in his seat, furrows his brow for a moment*

You're hired.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

khy posted:

Some of his logic is fairly specious though.

His comparisons are sometimes flawed, too. People in the Western world did not marry at 14 years old 200 years ago.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Hihohe posted:

So, Vault City?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Y'know I think people give fallout 3 way too much poo poo retroactively considering it came out in 2008.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

No. They came from a vault. My guys come from an oil rig.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Y'know I think people give fallout 3 way too much poo poo retroactively considering it came out in 2008.

I'm wondering why that nerd waited 7 years to write "THIS IS WHY FALLOUT 3 IS RETARDED" stuff

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

hes been writing it for 7 years

this is it, his life's work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
If you really want to show how dumb Fallout 3's plot was, you don't need to write a massive 3 part essay or anything, just this

• Locked thread