Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Vassal ai seems different. Neither Normandy or guyenne lift a finger in my aggressive wars.

Is their liberty desire over 50%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasingFungus posted:

Is their liberty desire over 50%?

Also don't forget to set them to siege or supportive. I've noticed that if you leave them on the default, if they have lovely income or manpower they'll just stay at home. Same with your allies who are poor but join anyway.

You should probably always subsidize vassals if you don't desperately need their taxes for money anyway.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I think you have to take 1 province from scotland to get the mission, at least i did

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm very sad that the same patch that finally buffed Scotland also massively buffed England. I haven't tried it myself though. Maybe it's easy to jump England when they're down or have all their troops on the mainland fighting France for their cores like they seem to do in the first 10 years no matter what.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Taking 2 provinces and I get a giant coalition against me...sigh...that's what I get for letting my only ally Austria get pwned to death in never ending HRE wars for my own gain.

Reminds me of my current Venice game, where I was using a swole, hyper aggressive burgundy to limit Austria's power pretty effectively

Until they got about 15 countries in a coalition war against them. I just laughed then took the 25 prestige hit, but now I'm just hoping it screwed over any chance of Austria inheriting them via event.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Turns out Scotland is way, way easier to survive with now that England gets cockier than ever before. They are straight up stronger early on, so as long as they don't attack you first, you're fine. They tried to fight Burgundy for their core, lost horribly, had to cede their northern mainland provinces to Burgundy, who later died to a coalition and is now a weak piece of poo poo. Then they got War of the Roses and Lollard Uprising at the same time. Castile and Portugal never ever sent troops to the Isles, so it was pretty easy to just let the rebels kill their army and then occupy them once the rebels enforced demands.

Anyway, the second war was easy as poo poo since now France bordered Castile, hated their guts from the last war, and the Wedding hadn't fired yet. England's force limit was lower than mine without vassals so I just rolled them and took a bunch of land. The only question is, does Great Britain get the mission to PU France? If they do, I should give France those southern cores back that England still has, and if they don't, I should take them for myself and murder France next. Tough choice.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Turns out Scotland is way, way easier to survive with now that England gets cockier than ever before. They are straight up stronger early on, so as long as they don't attack you first, you're fine. They tried to fight Burgundy for their core, lost horribly, had to cede their northern mainland provinces to Burgundy, who later died to a coalition and is now a weak piece of poo poo. Then they got War of the Roses and Lollard Uprising at the same time. Castile and Portugal never ever sent troops to the Isles, so it was pretty easy to just let the rebels kill their army and then occupy them once the rebels enforced demands.

Anyway, the second war was easy as poo poo since now France bordered Castile, hated their guts from the last war, and the Wedding hadn't fired yet. England's force limit was lower than mine without vassals so I just rolled them and took a bunch of land. The only question is, does Great Britain get the mission to PU France? If they do, I should give France those southern cores back that England still has, and if they don't, I should take them for myself and murder France next. Tough choice.

No, it has to be... I think! before 1475 so I don't think you can get that PU mission

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreyPowerVan posted:

No, it has to be... I think! before 1475 so I don't think you can get that PU mission

Darn. I think it'll be easier in the long run to just return the cores and then betray France some other time. Since the Inheritance never fired France doesn't really have anything besides 3 extra cores from Burgundy/England, so I'm gonna be roughly even on force limit soon once my autonomy drops. They dont have any other allies so betrayal should be p easy. I'm the same dynasty so I could always keep prestige bumped to 100 and pray for a PU i guess.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
It rweally bums me out how lovely ck2 is. I've been getting the bug to play it recently and I really know I shouldn't but dang it, there's got to be a mod that's still fun/playable

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MindSet posted:

It rweally bums me out how lovely ck2 is. I've been getting the bug to play it recently and I really know I shouldn't but dang it, there's got to be a mod that's still fun/playable

that post apocalyptic one set in the USA and the game of thrones mod are probably better starts than actual vanilla at this point

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
is the game of thrones one ok if you don't really care for the show or books?

e:I'll probably give it a shot. might actually try out the japan one too. anything's better than vanilla anymore.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

after the end is tight. game of thrones is probably the least janky of the big, janky overhaul mods (warhammer, elderscrolls, etc) but jank is jank and it may not fare very well if you don't have any existing attachment to the characters. It's pretty fun if you do, though.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
How to have fun past 1700

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

How to have fun past 1700

The new mechanics make it easier than ever to have a bunch of OPM client states in the middle of your territory existing solely to give you IA per month. Just release them, increase relations, and voila. Free city states/electors that most likely won't ever ally anyone else.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

All the CK overhaul maps destroy my computer cause they add 5000000000 provinces and make the map bigger than EU and the game isnt designed for that

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Don't play Ck2 conversion mods, their all pretty bad. CK2 is actually going down the pipes as well with Groogy in dev

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Getting to mil tech 8 years before anyone else is so good.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My awesome support independence for Sweden to beat the poo poo out of France and get another GP ally so I can safely fight Scotland without France getting in the way because I want to save them for later gambit paid off handsomely.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

England kicks way too much rear end now. Between the auto naval transport and how weak France and Burgundy are now, you can do whatever you like continental side.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I realized that England isn't a fake ally anymore when I DOWed venice in my byz game... and england kicked my rear end.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm glad, it's better than england collapsing into a colonial power that sometimes doesn't even conquer ireland until the 1600s, lol.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

I'm glad, it's better than england collapsing into a colonial power that sometimes doesn't even conquer ireland until the 1600s, lol.

I just waited for one of the Irish guys to take over Ireland and then diplo vassalised them.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I just waited for one of the Irish guys to take over Ireland and then diplo vassalised them.

I usually just force-vassal one and feed them the rest.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I usually just force-vassal one and feed them the rest.

That sounds way easier...NOT.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That sounds way easier...NOT.

You get a lot of gold this way since you can annex and take gold at the same time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I don't really understand looting, but it doesn't matter because I'm too busy beating up Europe and stealing everyone's trade.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i wonder what i should do for trade as france now since your node isn't an end-node

do i move into english channel and just swap my trading port there or do i go for genoa?

or just own both and collect???

too hard for me, i'm just going to spam temples and roll in the tax income

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I don't really understand looting, but it doesn't matter because I'm too busy beating up Europe and stealing everyone's trade.

It's a bar thats like 1 ducat per development. You drain like 0.10 per stack, roughly.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreyPowerVan posted:

i wonder what i should do for trade as france now since your node isn't an end-node

do i move into english channel and just swap my trading port there or do i go for genoa?

or just own both and collect???

too hard for me, i'm just going to spam temples and roll in the tax income

You should have always conquered English Channel ebcause almost nothing feeds into Bordeaux.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

It's a bar thats like 1 ducat per development. You drain like 0.10 per stack, roughly.

.1 for infantry, .3 for cav, .05 for arty

per month

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

You should have always conquered English Channel ebcause almost nothing feeds into Bordeaux.

i have never played a game as france before.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I did France ages ago to get their vanilla achieve. There's so many new cool ones I want to try, that I shan't be playing them again any time soon.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The best achievement in eu4 is Venetian sea. I learned more about trade in that one game than I did in all my previous games. It was hella fun too.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Looting is the free money you get by standing on enemy provinces. You can keep army's on provinces you occupy too. When it empties, move to a province with loot until it refills. You get more per month depending on how many units you have on a province.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I like how hordes work now. Stupid rear end Poland grabs provinces across Lithuania? Too bad the Golden Horde takes it back because they couldn't hold em

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

heads up if you're playing england: the english civil war disaster is badly bugged and the beginning/end events will fire at the same time. if you let time run eventually the end event will automatically be accepted and the civil war with resolve with the current ruler becoming king of an english monarchy even if you chose the parliamentarians. basically paradox doing its usual poo poo again.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
*friend of the family wiz makes 2000 word post about how they knew about the bug but fixing bugs is harrrrd*

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

MAnpower seems really easy to deplete. I used to be able to circumvent with mercs, but even with half my army as inf merc I still lost all my manpower in 2 wars where I partook in 3 battles that I won overwhelmingly. I think it's the forts requiring large amounts of troops to siege down.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

yeah now that you need a fairly large army to siege and they always take attrition it's really easy to lose all your manpower without noticing. i feel like upping manpower recovery in peace would be a good idea because as it is if it bottoms it out it takes something ridiculous like 25 years to recover to max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

BBJoey posted:

yeah now that you need a fairly large army to siege and they always take attrition it's really easy to lose all your manpower without noticing. i feel like upping manpower recovery in peace would be a good idea because as it is if it bottoms it out it takes something ridiculous like 25 years to recover to max.

if you roll a natural 1 during a siege you lose 5% of your army's max strength to disease outbreak