Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

How does Geralt store mugs of beer in his pants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

etalian posted:

How does Geralt store mugs of beer in his pants?

I'd be more worried about the 20 pitchers of milk and the 30 swords. I like to think his saddle is a mini Iron Throne.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

OAquinas posted:

The secret to witcher mutations is homeopathy.

Actually it's brewing a highly-concentrated base and then diluting to the appropriate concentration for the application, just like in real life chemistry!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OAquinas posted:

I'd be more worried about the 20 pitchers of milk and the 30 swords. I like to think his saddle is a mini Iron Throne.

All the monsters attack him not because they are evil but because he has a whole pantry in his pants.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The Witcher Wild Hunt - Like Real Life Chemistry, Just With Way More Hard Alcohol

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

dyzzy posted:

The Witcher Wild Hunt - Like Real Life Chemistry, Just With Way More Hard Alcohol

You haven't met some of the organic chemists I know...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

some of the chicken legs I brought from white orchard are starting to smell funny....but hp is hp

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

OAquinas posted:

You haven't met some of the organic chemists I know...

Everything is made better with Ethanol!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Actually it's brewing a highly-concentrated base and then diluting to the appropriate concentration for the application, just like in real life chemistry!

:goonsay:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

That's indeed how chemistry is done and it makes perfectly good, pragmatic sense in-game. It is also a fuckload more convenient than having to farm reagents to refill your consumables, so I don't really get what bothers you about it.

Like, take many vaccines as an example. Often they come powdered, frozen for long-term storage and you mix it with saline or whatever immediately before use. You mix a batch of highly concentrated stuff and probably preserve it in some way so it doesn't go bad. Then when you're actually going to use it you make a dilution to whatever strength you need, bang presto.

Burns
May 10, 2008

What are the stats for wolf school armor? Are there also weapons??

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Burns posted:

What are the stats for wolf school armor? Are there also weapons??

Don't know the stats but yes, there are swords. Basically just another set like the other 3.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Pellisworth posted:

That's indeed how chemistry is done and it makes perfectly good, pragmatic sense in-game. It is also a fuckload more convenient than having to farm reagents to refill your consumables, so I don't really get what bothers you about it.

Like, take many vaccines as an example. Often they come powdered, frozen for long-term storage and you mix it with saline or whatever immediately before use. You mix a batch of highly concentrated stuff and probably preserve it in some way so it doesn't go bad. Then when you're actually going to use it you make a dilution to whatever strength you need, bang presto.

It doesn't bother me. Goonsay isn't always used negatively.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Levantine posted:

I'm missing cards and I don't know who to play for them. I'm near the end game (Final Preparations). I've beaten the Gwent quests, I did High Stakes, I took the cards on Zoltan's quests. I've played every shopkeeper around as far as I know. I guess I'm going to have to go down the list on gwentcards.com and try re-playing everyone who gives random cards. Everyone I play right now gives me materials or nothing.

There's a bunch of merchants that sell them, including non-innkeepers in places like claywich, lindenvale, mudcopse, etc. You beat the guy in Vizima? You will run out of random cards to get before you run out of shopkeepers.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

It doesn't bother me. Goonsay isn't always used negatively.

Sorry reading comprehension can be hard through my blinding autism

Your posts seem to alternate between "wow this is the dumbest most worthless bullshit" and "this game is amazing" which is pretty fair about 3 and 97% of the time, respectively.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Stop loving crashing on me game, what the gently caress :negative:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Pellisworth posted:

Sorry reading comprehension can be hard through my blinding autism

Your posts seem to alternate between "wow this is the dumbest most worthless bullshit" and "this game is amazing" which is pretty fair about 3 and 97% of the time, respectively.

My bipolar autism could be weaponized.

My level two wolves school armor set makes me look like a back up dancer in Thriller.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

some of the chicken legs I brought from white orchard are starting to smell funny....but hp is hp

nekker is the other white meat

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Witcher mutations have made Geralt into a human garbage disposal.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How hard is it to buckle the straps on your armor Geralt?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

cmon bro next you'll expect him to wear doublets

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ravenfood posted:

From what I've seen in this game, The Witcher universe is one where man as a species has not yet figured out how to tie belts.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I remember playing a little bit of Witcher 2 back in the day. Was Ciri mentioned then?

Reading some spoilers

Ciri was Geralt's ward since back in W1. And the events from prior of W1. Due to the events of W1, Geralt has Amnesia and looks to restore his memory and Yennefer. Was Yennefer and Triss featured in W1? Was Ciri's story fully mentioned in W1 and W2?

I heard this is the last game with Geralt. Does this mean no more Witcher games?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

jerichojx posted:

I remember playing a little bit of Witcher 2 back in the day. Was Ciri mentioned then?

Reading some spoilers

Ciri was Geralt's ward since back in W1. And the events from prior of W1. Due to the events of W1, Geralt has Amnesia and looks to restore his memory and Yennefer. Was Yennefer and Triss featured in W1? Was Ciri's story fully mentioned in W1 and W2?

I heard this is the last game with Geralt. Does this mean no more Witcher games?

Ciri and Yennefer predate W1. They're the books, and hardly exist in the games. I can't remember (haven't read) if the Amnesia comes about at the end of the final book or as a result of what happens between the book and W1, but it's not because of W1 - Geralt has amnesia there too.
Triss was in W1.

Not necessarily, just the last one directly related to Sapkowski's books.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well I'm just retarded apparently:

Ciri wasn't dead, Geralt was just telling Emhyr that. Seems a shame that a woman with Ultimate Cosmic Power is going to wander around killing monsters for cash, but otherwise the world seemed to turn out alright. Emhyr got murdered, Djikstra is in power, and everything's okay on the personal front. While I feel bad for Thaler and Roche, I was never really a Temerian patriot. Giving away Temeria and Aedirn was indeed a bad peace deal with the Nilfgaardians about to implode, and there's nothing about the status quo ante political situation in the North worth protecting.

Did notice a pretty major conversation bug towards the end: Geralt will explain to Philippa and Djikstra that Emhyr wants to abdicate and put Ciri on the throne, and that he heard it from Emhyr personally, even if you never have that conversation with Emhyr.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 19, 2015

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
loving gently caress me.

I've now got an infinite loading bug during the Great Escape main questline I can't get around or rid of. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, non-DLC'd, DLC'd, restarted the main quest line from a previous save and played it back through all to get the same stupid loading bug.

My life : :smithicide:

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

jerichojx posted:

Reading some spoilers

In Witcher 1, instead of Triss, Yennefer, and Ciri, you had Triss, Shani, and Alvin.

Triss = Yennefer
Shani = Triss
Alvin = Ciri

I don't know why CDPR made these changes, but they decided to revert them in Witcher 2. Alvin - who has Ciri powers - has never been mentioned again, for instance, neither has Shani, and Triss' personality also became more like she is in the books in W2. In W1, she acted a lot more like Yennefer. Amnesia was just a convenient excuse for Geralt to ask questions without sounding stupid, and for non-book-readers to get to know more about the game world in a more organic method.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Ciri wasn't dead, Geralt was just telling Emhyr that. Seems a shame that a woman with Ultimate Cosmic Power is going to wander around killing monsters for cash, but otherwise the world seemed to turn out alright. Emhyr got murdered, Djikstra is in power, and everything's okay on the personal front. While I feel bad for Thaler and Roche, I was never really a Temerian patriot. Giving away Temeria and Aedirn was indeed a bad peace deal with the Nilfgaardians about to implode, and there's nothing about the status quo ante political situation in the North worth protecting.

Did notice a pretty major conversation bug towards the end: Geralt will explain to Philippa and Djikstra that Emhyr wants to abdicate and put Ciri on the throne, and that he heard it from Emhyr personally, even if you never have that conversation with Emhyr.

I'm pretty sure that Geralt hears it from Emhyr during his second visit to Vizima (with Uma). Otherwise, he could be lying his rear end off, or just making an educated guess.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Haha I had the same reaction, the ending sequence was pretty well done. But like much of the end-game questing stuff it just never ends and keeps teasing you that the climax and ending is gonna trigger when I finish this quest, but noooope lol.

When you were posting this morning I was thinking you goddamn doofus she's alive and it's heavily hinted at with the sword thing, play for literally two more minutes and get some closure :v:

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So technically, without reading the books, how did the game expect us to realise that we never had Ciri in W1 and W2?

I spent like the past 30 game hours scratching at my head why Ciri wasn't with me.

Like I get that she's important to Geralt because of the initial scene at KM. But I was really wondering why I haven't seen Yennefer in two years and suddenly we are in search of her.

Also, that throughout the past two games, if I remember correctly, Ciri wasn't a focus. Like, W1 I can understand because he has Amnesia, but why doesn't in W2 Geralt care about Foltest but instead go after Ciri?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Best not to think too hard about a video game plotline involving amnesia and multiple dimensions.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

jerichojx posted:

So technically, without reading the books, how did the game expect us to realise that we never had Ciri in W1 and W2?

I spent like the past 30 game hours scratching at my head why Ciri wasn't with me.

Like I get that she's important to Geralt because of the initial scene at KM. But I was really wondering why I haven't seen Yennefer in two years and suddenly we are in search of her.

Also, that throughout the past two games, if I remember correctly, Ciri wasn't a focus. Like, W1 I can understand because he has Amnesia, but why doesn't in W2 Geralt care about Foltest but instead go after Ciri?

You're in search of Yenn because she sent you a letter.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're in search of Yenn because Geralt wants his drat unicorn back. Even if he refuses to admit it.

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014

Zakmonster posted:

... has never been mentioned again, for instance, neither has Shani...

She gets a brief mention in a dialogue choice in Witcher 3 during the Carnal Sins quest.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Nova Odin posted:

She gets a brief mention in a dialogue choice in Witcher 3 during the Carnal Sins quest.

Alvin also leaves a letter in a book for us to read. He's still trying to convince us that making mutants will save the world.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lareine posted:

Alvin also leaves a letter in a book for us to read. He's still trying to convince us that making mutants will save the world.

Alvin is dead, you killed him at the end of Witcher 1. That note was left a long time ago.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lareine posted:

Was I the only one that got a really :godwin: vibe from the whole Witcher 1 Flaming Rose / Jacque plot?

Edit: also after doing some reflecting upon finishing a 115 hour W3 game last week, I think the Witcher series is most comparable to Mass Effect. I'm gonna be extremely :can: and say they're pretty close in overall quality but W3 is absolutely heads and shoulders above any of the other individual games in the trilogies. I can overlook the lovely inventory, divisive combat targeting and movement, and weird XP/item/mainplot pacing because the world-building and dialogue are just so fuckin amazing byootifoo

For me personally it'd be something like W3 > ME2 > W2, ME1 > ME3, W1

except ME3 multiplayer is pretty fun hah I shouldn't even have started down this path

somebody botchling me

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 19, 2015

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Arglebargle III posted:

Alvin is dead, you killed him at the end of Witcher 1. That note was left a long time ago.

Yeah, I know.

"That sword.... is for monsters!"

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Sort of, I mean Witchers aren't exactly normal men. They were basically taken in or just taken away to be forced through grueling training for years, often killing many, before being subject to pretty horrible mutations which killed even more to produce Übermensch.

Alvin/Jacque can see the writing on the wall and knows that its going to take a freak to save the world. Which is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Jacques is dead, but is Alvin? Couldn't Alvin still be teleporting around space and time Ciri style, growing up to be Jacques