Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SpaceAceJase posted:

Guys, please make sure your cat pics aren't off topic. For example, mine:

I actually said to myself, "Self, don't post pictures of your cats and just throw controllers at them or something. Then this happened when my camera was in arm's reach:

He's miffed because I won't let him out in the flooding.

Also, I swear this time I'm actually going to finish Majora's mask. I'm already as far in it as I've ever gotten (the snow area).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, all the games that were previously released on X360 (Banjo 1/2/3, Perfect Dark 1/2, Viva Pinata 1/2, Kameo, Jetpac Refueled) aren't ports, they run in backwards compatibility mode. You can transfer your cloud saves/gamerscore from the X360 versions, too.

Grabbed By The Ghoulies is a 1080p/60fps port with widescreen, apparently. They're not showing off the other N64 games just yet (Conker BFD, Blast Corps, Jet Fprce Gemini) but the Rare reps are saying they'll be talking about them soon and they do look to be upscaled, at the very least.

More importantly, the 360-released ones are probably on decent game engines that won't up and poo poo the bed by being migrated to a new console. The N64 games are the only real question depending on if they still actually have the source code. Wouldn't the Xbox version of Conker be more likely than the N64 one though?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

FIRST TIME posted:

Can anyone tell me how to identify which Genesis Model 2 is the "good" one?

I have 3 of them and I only want to keep one so I'd like to know which one I should keep.

I've followed the online guides and found consoles that should have been VA 2.3 and when I got home it turned out to be VA 1. If you already own them I'd just take the top cover and shielding off and look at the revision number on the board. Then you can also see which sound and video encoder chips your system has, which is the real indicator of if you got a good one or not.

There's also the Mega Amp if you want Genesis 1 sound on a Genesis 2 (or you could just pick up a Genesis 1 VA1-6):
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?27348-F-S-Mega-AMP-for-Sega-Genesis

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

More importantly, the 360-released ones are probably on decent game engines that won't up and poo poo the bed by being migrated to a new console. The N64 games are the only real question depending on if they still actually have the source code. Wouldn't the Xbox version of Conker be more likely than the N64 one though?
Rare reps at E3 have confirmed that Conker is the N64 version.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's definitely the N64 version. I guess you can look forward to playing Live & Reloaded on Rare Replay 2.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Go visit a rescue shelter, even without the intention of adopting. Just being around furballs gets you infected with :3: and also maybe :toxogond:

I do this sometimes. The local SPCA has since closed the sattellite cattery, so I go to the main shelter. It's not as nice (and neither are the cats, ha), but I pop over when I'm in the neighborhood. There's this sanctuary place a county over from where I live that apparently has 100+ cats, and they say people get swarmed when they come to visit. That must be... something. :3:

Codiekitty posted:

I had to have a cat put to sleep because his bladder got clogged and he couldn't get surgery because (if I understood correctly) part of his heart was fused to his chest cavity, and I watched another slowly die of a facial tumor which, again, couldn't be operated on because the cat had a heart murmur. It hurts like hell, but don't shut down the idea of owning another cat. There are other fuzzies out there who need love and it sounds like you could use their love too.

I'm sorry for your losses. All you said is true. Unfortunately, I'm not in a place I can take care of one again and I don't know when I will be.

Codiekitty posted:

Oh fine, I'll post a shelfie along with more cats.

Yes, that is a fuckton of Japanese cat manga under the toys.

Woa woa woa, back up. Cat manga? Like actual cats or anthropomorphised stuff? I'm not much of an otaku but I would probably read the hell out of some catte manga. Secretly. In private.

Mega Drive shmups, yusssss. I can't play the arcade version of Zero Wing 'cause the background flashes red every time you destroy something and it wigs me out.

Codiekitty posted:

And now, MORE CATS.

Adopt me I want to live in your cat paradise.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Speaking of cats

Quotin' to see it. A fine catte, would boop nose!

SpaceAceJase posted:

Guys, please make sure your cat pics aren't off topic. For example, mine:

A cyclops creamsicle! :aaaaa:

This thread delivers the goods.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Ofecks posted:

Woa woa woa, back up. Cat manga? Like actual cats or anthropomorphised stuff? I'm not much of an otaku but I would probably read the hell out of some catte manga. Secretly. In private.
It varies. Some of the comics feature anthropomorphic cats...

... some feature talking, but otherwise normal cats...

... and some are just cats being cats.

I, uh, don't know why the SA forums rotated them horizontally.

The magazine is called Neko Panchi, or Neko Punch, and you can find them on Amazon.jp. I kinda stopped importing them and a lot of other Japanese goods ever since the service I used tacked on too many fees.

(If anyone's wondering, I can read hiragana but I'm not fluent in Japanese. I've been slacking my studies too long)

And to bring this back to retro games, here's some other stuff I imported through them years ago when they were still reasonably priced.

I imported Last Story when it was still uncertain it was going to be localized, and I just love Blaster Master poo poo, okay? Hence this beauty.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Not retro games related, but this is the best cat manga.
http://www.mangareader.net/ito-junjis-cat-diary/1

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Cubey posted:

please stop talking about animal torture in a thread about old video games

Sometimes my dog is stuck with me when I play CDi games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bel Monte posted:

Sometimes my dog is stuck with me when I play CDi games.

Ban.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

In Japan I picked up a giant book of manga that was just short four to ten page stories that people sent in about their cats. Sometimes there were accompanying photographs.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Our foster kitty named Zelda (named Chaní when we got her, but seriously wtf) is not impressed.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Fixed my cat pic. Posted from phone so didn't realize how giant it was. Also you can totally sort of see a blurry wii game box in the background. So it's totally on topic.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I miss my cat. RIP Nellie.

I started to play Chrono Trigger on the DS and it's the first time I have ever experienced this game. I can't believe what I've missed growing up without a SNES. This is the first RPG outside of Stick of Truth that I've actually enjoyed. I hope this game is long because I don't want it to end.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Housh posted:

I started to play Chrono Trigger on the DS and it's the first time I have ever experienced this game. I can't believe what I've missed growing up without a SNES. This is the first RPG outside of Stick of Truth that I've actually enjoyed. I hope this game is long because I don't want it to end.

You're lucky since it's long and New Game+ is a hoot.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MS is sending these buttons to Gamestop employees in preparation for Rare Replay:

Also, if you preorder on the MS store you get a $10 Xbone or X360 gift card, pretty decent for a $30 release:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...001d3445f88ce5b

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Housh posted:

It's about 20 hours if you do most sidequests through a normal playthrough. New Game+ extends that by quite a bit, but it is, IIRC, technically short by RPG standards.

I mean, it's not like it's Panzer Dragoon Saga short (I beat that in 12 hours, although I missed a sidequest or two), but still.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MS is sending these buttons to Gamestop employees in preparation for Rare Replay:

Also, if you preorder on the MS store you get a $10 Xbone or X360 gift card, pretty decent for a $30 release:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...001d3445f88ce5b

Holy poo poo :drat:. The only way this could be better is if it did have a WiiU eShop release.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Shadow Hog posted:

I mean, it's not like it's Panzer Dragoon Saga short (I beat that in 12 hours, although I missed a sidequest or two), but still.

Isn't that, like, both of them?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Housh posted:

I miss my cat. RIP Nellie.

If only I could forget my time with Chrono Trigger and experience it all over again :allears: It's long enough and there's multiple endings with a New Game + mode. The term was coined from Chrono Trigger, I believe.

Keep us updated. Maybe I could live vicariously through your posts :)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I recall really liking Chrono Cross when it came out. Though, I haven't played it in years. My favorite old school RPG is Wild Arms (remake or vanilla). If I had to break it up by bits I'd pick Phantasy Star(8) and Shadowrun(16). Console only, of course. Otherwise this might be a different post. Also, I'm not considering ARPG's such as Zelda.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

evobatman posted:

Our foster kitty named Zelda (named Chaní when we got her, but seriously wtf) is not impressed.

I know that look all too well...and love it!

Caitlin posted:

This is my favorite picture so far. :3: She's a looker! Nice catte too (I kid, I would hug both).

Forget this, the cats posted are ALL lookers and I would hug them all. And yes I'd hug those dogs while I'm at it too.

There are no games in this cat pic but I was sorting through Genesis games when I took it if that counts. 80s double glider rocker rocks if you were curious:

VVV and yes Chrono Cross has been on my list of games to play for a very long time. I feel your pain brotha!

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 19, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Kazvall posted:

I recall really liking Chrono Cross when it came out. Though, I haven't played it in years. My favorite old school RPG is Wild Arms (remake or vanilla). If I had to break it up by bits I'd pick Phantasy Star(8) and Shadowrun(16). Console only, of course. Otherwise this might be a different post. Also, I'm not considering ARPG's such as Zelda.

I've never played either of them, but I do know that Cross has a rad loving soundtrack.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I haven't had a cat since I was in eighth grade, but she was a great catte. I do, however, have a two-year-old Maltese named Timothy, who is best parts dogge and catte. Observe:

Soft and petteable like a catte, but energetic and excitable as a dog.

In other news, tonight I dine on F-Zero MSU1 just because.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

As a former Funcoland counter monkey: :perfect:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Codiekitty posted:

Isn't that, like, both of them?
Well, I explicitly recall failing to save the little kid from his debilitating illness, although I did unlock the Light and Solo Wings.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Robo is pretty awesome and I was in shock when I first met him because I swear to god I thought "Never Gonna Give You Up" was playing. It blew my mind because I thought I was getting Rick Rolled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqHGi4C6gTw

I finished the Mad Max future and now I just entered The End of Time (that's so cool). I'm circling the room trying to learn magic from Spekkio but it's not working.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, I explicitly recall failing to save the little kid from his debilitating illness, although I did unlock the Light and Solo Wings.

I forgot about that first one. The only sidequests I remembered was finding the baby dragon, finding all the parts for that hideous blue dragon, and opening the temple that fuses the baby and blue dragons.

EDIT: Crap, I've gone two posts without cattes? What is wrong with me!

Codiekitty fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 19, 2015

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

In other news, tonight I dine on F-Zero MSU1 just because.

Thanks for this, I liked the Kurrono soundtrack better as it was closer to the original instrumentation, just remixed. Someone should release a patch to put the Mario Kart 8 F-Zero music in the game at some point.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Not a cat, but I finally got better pictures of the Pac Man Battle Royale. :kimchi: Click for full.

:neckbeard:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

It varies. Some of the comics feature anthropomorphic cats...

Check out a manga called Cat poo poo One AKA Apocalypse Meow.

Also a Super Famicom game called Asameshimae Nyanko which is Othello with cats and weird cat duel combat??

e: hoooooooly shiiiiiiit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wncS6tO59M

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

al-azad posted:

Check out a manga called Cat poo poo One AKA Apocalypse Meow.

Also a Super Famicom game called Asameshimae Nyanko which is Othello with cats and weird cat duel combat??

e: hoooooooly shiiiiiiit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wncS6tO59M

Why is it called Cat poo poo One when it's about rabbits fighting camels?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

Why is it called Cat poo poo One when it's about rabbits fighting camels?

The original story takes place in Vietnam and all the Vietnamese are depicted as cats. Each nationality are depicted as different animals like Americans are rabbits. Why it's named Cat poo poo One I don't know, probably a Vietnam War joke/pun that some hardcore grognard would get. Renaming it Apocalypse Meow in America was brilliant.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Although the inherent bilingual pun with making all the Americans rabbits was pretty ingenious. (Rabbit = usagi (ウサギ) = USA G.I.)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Caitlin posted:

Not a cat, but I finally got better pictures of the Pac Man Battle Royale. :kimchi: Click for full.

Oh my god that suit! :911:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

mikeycp posted:

Not retro games related, but this is the best cat manga.
http://www.mangareader.net/ito-junjis-cat-diary/1

Was planning on posting this, not disappointed.

Also, here are the household cattes. Luke on the left (rip tiny sadcat) and Meyer on the right, dignified as ever.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

That is the look of a man plotting revenge. Watch out for Pac-Man machines to drop out of the sky onto your head...

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Shenmue prices. :aaaaa:

Even for the xbox! :aaaaa:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kazvall posted:

The Shenmue prices. :aaaaa:

Even for the xbox! :aaaaa:

One of these days I'm gonna play this game and see what all the fuss is about. At least farther than 5 minutes of gameplay at the beginning. Actually, that goes for at least 1/3rd of my collection. The backlog struggle is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Looks like it's time to sell my DC and Xbox copies of Shenmue 2 before the bubble bursts

• Locked thread