Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

mushi posted:

Also unrelated to the game part, I like how indoor facilities/leagues are at the same place every week. Some of the outdoor leagues here (and in Seattle) sending you to pitches an hour away during rush hour traffic is annoying as poo poo. Indoor does suck in summer when it's like 90 degrees with no air conditioning though.

I'll be honest, I absolutely love indoor football and futsal but playing on courts gently caress up your knees even more and, imo, it's easier to pick up injuries. I did both my MCL and Achilles on a court (the same court in the exact same place crazily enough) so I'm pretty hesitant to get back into it. Admittedly it might be the way I play as I do have a propensity to turn quickly which is obviously hard on your ligaments etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Ewar Woowar posted:

I'll be honest, I absolutely love indoor football and futsal but playing on courts gently caress up your knees even more
Is there research to support this? I don't mean this in a snarky way, I'm genuinely curious about joint injury rates on artificial grass vs real grass, and stats on indoor/futsal would be interesting too. I injured my knee on artificial grass playing indoor too, but it was the same surface that outdoor fields use with the rubber pellets. edit: also I attribute my knee injury far more to failing to warm-up properly than the surface, since like a true dumbass I used to not warm up at all but whoops it turns out I'm not 18 anymore. p.s. always warm up and do the fifa 11 exercises

Any time I search google I generally get poo poo like "YOUR KNEES WILL DIE AND ALSO THE RUBBER PELLETS GIVE YOU CANCER!" Like I don't know if Thierry Henry's aversion to artificial turf was based on evidence or just paranoid since like half of NFL teams use some form of turf. I'm generally in the camp of "at least I know I won't snap my ankle in a gopher hole on this poo poo" since on the rare occasion I play on grass it's like 3 inches long and uneven as poo poo.

mushi fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 26, 2015

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I think Ewar's talking about the hardwood or similar hard surface courts that a lot of futsal is played on. Just like basketball, it is hell on your joints just because of the constant impact on a hard surface.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
Yeah that makes sense. It's definitely running and cutting on a hard surface.

I did a bit more looking and now I remember why I'm never satisfied with studies about artificial vs. grass, and most of it is due to not clearly distinguishing between injuries like pulled hammies, rolled ankles, and completely blown acl type injuries, or just data sets being sort of unreliable (not distinguishing between astroturf from the 80's and the state of the art stuff that NFL teams are probably using). It's probably hard to get quality data with the variation of every pitch and style of grass and turf out there in general.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Vinestalk posted:

I think Ewar's talking about the hardwood or similar hard surface courts that a lot of futsal is played on. Just like basketball, it is hell on your joints just because of the constant impact on a hard surface.

Yeah it's this. Both serious injuries have come from planting my left leg and pushing off on it to turn. I went back after the first injury but after my knee went I'm not prepared to risk my outdoor football.

I work with a former international basketballer and his knee and ankle are absolutely destroyed because of it.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Futsal is 100 times more fun than playing outdoor, but I'm also in 'had a knee reconstruction after ruining it playing on a bad court' crew. The place I play at now has a sort of rubberised surface similar to a running track though, and it's bloody lovely to play on.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I'll nth the physical therapy thing. I was told no physical therapy for my legs and it was hard to get back in the groove. A better example is my arm. I have two plates and 16 screws in my left forearm after suffering a 5 compound fracture. I opted not to do physical therapy and now I can't lift much with my left arm due to tension. Like with bench press, or curls. I also lost about 25-30 degree rotation on my arm. So I can hold my right arm palm up, but my left palm is at an angle and will never be able to be flat again.

This on top of the fact that I've lost the majority of feeling in my arm, and near the arches of my feet after the surgeries points that PT might be the best move.

I get my second test for compartment syndrome in a few minutes which means more needles being shoved into my muscle cavities.

edit: Test proved negative, so it might be an issue with my back or vascular.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 26, 2015

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Ugh in the first five mins of the game, I went to tackle a girl and somehow got my leg jammed between her legs and she fell over, taking me with her

Apparently severe ligament damage but nothing is broken. Two days later its feeling better but I think I'll be out for the next few months :(

It could have been so much worse though, that's how smashed legs happen

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Pro tip for anyone playing on field turf/artificial grass: find some wrestling kneepads. They're lightweight, don't restrict movement, and they've saved me from countless tire-pellet burns.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Argyle posted:

Pro tip for anyone playing on field turf/artificial grass: find some wrestling kneepads. They're lightweight, don't restrict movement, and they've saved me from countless tire-pellet burns.

Your mom was kind enough to lend me hers.

Knee pads ffs

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I think if you're going to ground that much, you got other issues.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Vinestalk posted:

I think if you're going to ground that much, you got other issues.

I wear them when I'm in goal, but other than that, lol.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Tbf 3g turf is horrible if you slide on it but pads, lmao.

I prefer tampons.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Parody Threads posted:

I prefer tampons.

lol

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Parody Threads posted:

I prefer tampons.

hahaha

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Parody Threads posted:

I prefer tampons.

And scene.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I wear tights under my shorts when I play on turf sometimes, especially if it's not too hot out. It looks like hell but I am old and don't give a poo poo.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

pangstrom posted:

I wear tights under my shorts when I play on turf sometimes, especially if it's not too hot out. It looks like hell but I am old and don't give a poo poo.

This is acceptable, so is just wearing pants imo

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

thats what I've been doing lately when playing goal on turf, tights are good enuogh to not destroy your knees

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Drogadon posted:

thats what I've been doing lately when playing goal on turf, tights are good enuogh to not destroy your knees

Gabor Kiraly used to wear pants in goal when he was in the Premier League.

Also I would make fun of someone wearing knee pads in a football game.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Parody Threads posted:

I prefer tampons.

nice

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Well, hopefully my robot leg saga is almost over. After being tested for Compartment syndrome a second time, I was told that they were going to check my veins, and if they found nothing, would medically retire me from the military. I got the ultrasound for my legs and they immediately noticed an anomaly. I apparently have Popliteal Artery Entrapment Syndrome which I guess is rare or something, rare enough for me to try to look up surgical procedures and find nothing.

In a nutshell PAES means he artery that goes from my thigh to my lower legs keeps getting squeezed by my muscles to the point where blood flow has been affected. This would explain the pain, numbness, and everything.

I'm really hoping this is finally goi to be over. I can't wait to play again. lovely fake pitch or not.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

What's the treatment? And are they still retiring you?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

It's surgery, but I don't know what it's called or what they do yet. Also, not retiring me yet, only if this surgery doesn't work.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Soulex posted:

It's surgery, but I don't know what it's called or what they do yet. Also, not retiring me yet, only if this surgery doesn't work.
Depending on how much info you'd like to know, I found an article you may be interested in if you'd like more details about the possible procedures: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2464757/

That should be free and without a paywall, but let me know if not and I'll see if I can't procure you a copy once I'm at work. It's a fairly interesting article, talks about the main risk factors of being male of around mid 20s, into exercise, and being a smoker - but even then it is still rare.

There are also a number of surgical options depending on your particular case; the majority of the time it looks like they free the artery and are done with it, and less frequently they have other options such as resectioning the artery or grafting. The good news is that the surgery generally looks very promising and seems to have a good prognosis :)

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Lol I received on the left side of the area back to goal, dragged the ball behind and dinked a backheel outside around the defender, turned inside and ran around him to gather the ball and hit a toepoke into the right sidenet. Their entire team was dumbfounded. I could never do that again in a million years lmao.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Parody Threads posted:

Lol I received on the left side of the area back to goal, dragged the ball behind and dinked a backheel outside around the defender, turned inside and ran around him to gather the ball and hit a toepoke into the right sidenet. Their entire team was dumbfounded. I could never do that again in a million years lmao.

Congratulations and well done

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Bogan Krkic posted:

Congratulations and well done

Thanks. The best part was the gaggle of Ghanaians and Mexicans or w/e having a kickabout next to the match were watching went full "And-1 crowd" and that felt real nice.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Parody Threads posted:

Thanks. The best part was the gaggle of Ghanaians and Mexicans or w/e having a kickabout next to the match were watching went full "And-1 crowd" and that felt real nice.

What boots were you wearing

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Bogan Krkic posted:

What boots were you wearing

Nike mercurial superflys, jet black ones so I'm not easily identifiable as a total doucher

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Parody Threads posted:

Nike mercurial superflys, jet black ones so I'm not easily identifiable as a total doucher

I've got those boots haha. j/k I wear metallic gold hypervenoms

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Parody Threads posted:

gently caress i want superflys, i'm so tired of getting blisters on my heel

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
I suggest having a good friend who works for Nike snag you a pair, that's what I did

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Parody Threads posted:

I suggest having a good friend who works for Nike snag you a pair, that's what I did

o yea, the employee store is like 10 minutes away from me but i refuse to buy another pair until my Hypervenoms wear out

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So Wednesday I should find about surgery and how long etc. hopefully soon.

When I was in Oz there was a small kick about. Someone passed me the ball cause I was just watching and it felt good to have that poo poo at my feet. Though I hosed up the pass because boots are loving hard to play foot in. I did make the ball sleep which was nice and did a weird elastico, but again, combat boots are loving weird to play in.

Also Parody, if your celebration wasn't you miming pulling down your pants and making GBS threads on the ground, you've failed me.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
When you're decent but not good and do something that awesome its really hard to think of a good celebration on the spot, I'm sorry.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Parody Threads posted:

When you're decent but not good and do something that awesome its really hard to think of a good celebration on the spot, I'm sorry.

Cantona smug shoulder shrug ftw

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Parody Threads posted:

Balotelli "why always me?"
:boom:
Salute the keeper
Run away from your teammates who want to celebrate with you

And there is always the classy pole dance that can be done on the goal post or corner flag

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I like to do that Robben celebration where he does the finger wag, the 'its hot', the cupping your ear and the aeroplane all at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

As a goalie I score pretty infrequently so for my two goals a year I generally find myself doing plane wings all the way back to half way whilst keeping an eye on the ref for the inevitable whistle I assume is coming to disallow the goal :v: