Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

poty posted:

Someone buy Sepp an account so we can learn trolling from the absolute master

Sepp Blatter is banned from this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

sassassin posted:

Sepp Blatter is banned from this forum.

OP is right

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I think the ban should be lifted until evidence of wrong doing is presented. Free the FIFA one!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Hefe posted:

during Korea/Japan matches were always during the early morning ever here in the Americas, it sucked.

the timezone and the referees were loving awful. that was possibly the worst world cup i ever saw

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well there goes Blatter's Nobel Peace Prize!

quote:

In a move that will be a bitter pill for Sepp Blatter, who once harboured improbable ambitions to win the Nobel Peace Prize, the board behind the award is poised to terminate its relationship with Fifa.

In light of the chaos that has enveloped world football’s governing body since US prosecutors accused Fifa executives of a “World Cup of fraud”, the Norwegian magazine Josimar reported on Monday night that the Nobel Peace Centre had decided to end its involvement in its joint Handshake for Peace initiative.

The director of the Nobel Peace Centre, Bente Erichsen, said it would end its co-operation with Fifa “as soon as the conditions are right for it”.

Blatter had long coveted the Nobel Peace Prize, believing that his work to spread football around the globe made it a realistic goal, and his delusional quest was said by some close to the 79-year-old to be one of the reasons he could not bring himself to stand down as president.

The chairman of the Nobel Peace Centre, Olav Njolstad, said that it continued to believe the Handshake for Peace was a worthwhile project and it would endeavour to hand it over to Fifa and the Norwegian Football Association in a “good and orderly” fashion. A statement from the board for the Nobel Peace Centre read: “The board asks the administration to terminate the cooperation with Fifa as soon as circumstances allow. The board also asks the administration to start a dialogue with the Norwegian Football Association for the Handshake for Peace initiative to continue in the future.”

The idea, which includes players trading handshakes at the World Cup and other Fifa tournaments, was first unveiled at Fifa’s 2012 congress and was officially launched at the Club World Cup in Morocco in 2013.

Fifa agreed to contribute €800,000 to the Nobel Peace Centre and Blatter said “a crucial pillar of Fifa’s mission is to build a better future for all through the power and popularity of football”.

There were regular references to the Handshake for Peace even throughout Fifa’s most recent congress in May, when the organisation was mired in scandal. Blatter was re-elected as president only to promise to stand down four days later.

In Săo Paulo last year the Nobel Peace Centre and Fifa held a joint press conference before the opening game of the World Cup even as protests at the event’s cost raged outside and Blatter came under renewed pressure over corruption claims.

The move by the Nobel Peace Centre follows Interpol’s decision to suspend its relationship with Fifa, which was worth $20m to the international police liaison service over 10 years.

Fifa said on Monday night it had not received any communications from the Nobel Peace Centre.

Chuck Blazer was facing as much as 75 years in prison:

quote:

Former Fifa executive Chuck Blazer agreed to go “undercover” to help the US government expose widespread corruption across world football in order to avoid spending the rest of his life in prison, according to details of his plea bargain made public on Monday.

Blazer, 70, pleaded guilty to 10 charges, including bribery, money laundering and tax evasion, in 2013. The charges carried a maximum concurrent imprisonment term of 75 years, but Blazer agreed to become an informant for the FBI and US justice department – and collect evidence implicating other Fifa executives – in return for immunity from prosecution.

The plea bargain agreement reveals that Blazer, who was general secretary of the North and Central American Concacaf governing body, began providing information to the authorities in December 2011 – more than three years before the US government charged 14 current and former Fifa officials with “hijacking” international football to run “a World Cup of fraud” to line their pockets by $150m.

Blazer, who was a Fifa executive committee member from 1997 to 2013, secretly pleaded guilty in November 2013 in a closed Brooklyn courtroom. According to his plea bargain, which was redacted in parts, Blazer admitted that he, along with other Fifa officials, accepted bribes for voting for South Africa’s bid for the 2010 World Cup and a bribe related to the 1998 World Cup in France.

“I and others on the Fifa executive committee agreed to accept bribes in conjunction with the selection of South Africa as the host nation for the 2010 World Cup,” he told the judge in the secret court session in November 2013.

He told the judge his involvement in the acceptance of bribes in connection with the South African bid began “in or around 2004 and continuing through 2011”. In a nod to a wider top-level conspiracy at Fifa, Blazer added: “My actions described above had common participants and results.”

South Africa won the right to stage the 2010 World Cup in 2004, after missing out on the 2006 tournament to Germany in controversial circumstances.

Blazer also admitted to accepting bribes related to five Concacaf Gold Cup tournaments between 1996 and 2003.

In exchange for avoiding jail time, Blazer agreed to “provide truthful, complete and accurate information” to prosecutors and to “participate in undercover activities pursuant to the specific instructions of law enforcement agents”. Blazer also agreed to testify at future trials of his former Fifa colleagues and pay back more than $11m in taxes he avoided.

The fallout from the US investigation into Fifa has led to an unprecedented crisis for the governance of world football, forcing the dramatic resignation of Fifa’s longtime president, Sepp Blatter.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Chuck Blazer made the correct decision.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know the status of Chuck Blazer's cat apartment?

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

TheBigAristotle posted:

Does anyone know the status of Chuck Blazer's cat apartment?

With NY real estate values skyrocketting, right about meow is the purrfect time to make on offer on it!

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
(There's a significant typo in that article. Glazer was facing 75 years imprisonment maximum on consecutive sentences, not concurrent. His realistic sentence would be something like 7-12 years on the counts, concurrent to one another, and he'd serve between 15 and 80% of that depending on a range of factors.)

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Like usual the US finds a way to let the rich white man go free while dropping the hammer on everyone else.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Byolante posted:

Like usual the US finds a way to let the rich white man go free while dropping the hammer on everyone else.

Actually he's Jewish

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Actually he's Jewish
Still alright as long as he's not in Baptist country.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Reprisal posted:

(There's a significant typo in that article. Glazer was facing 75 years imprisonment maximum on consecutive sentences, not concurrent. His realistic sentence would be something like 7-12 years on the counts, concurrent to one another, and he'd serve between 15 and 80% of that depending on a range of factors.)

I doubt he will be alive in 7-12 years time. I guess he didn't want to spend the rest of his actual life in prison.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I know this is old news, but these quotes from Tim Roth are great:

'Tim Roth declined repeated requests to speak about United Passions, but in a stunning confession in May, before the scandal broke, to German newspaper Die Welt, the actor lamented playing Blatter. "Yeah, I apologize I didn't question the director, I didn't question the script," he said. "This is a role that will have my father turning in his grave."

Roth admitted he took the job for the money, saying it helped him out of a "financial hole," adding, "but you know what? The hole FIFA has dug for itself is so deep, they'll never get out of it."'

e: but wait there's more

"FIFA originally had wanted to call the movie Men of Legend. “Can you imagine such a title? It’s nonsense,” the director says. “Then The Dreammakers. Come on.” Auburtin successfully fought for the United Passions title, an ironic play on the fact that FIFA has more member states than the United Nations."

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 17, 2015

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I'm surprised they didn't just submit "Greatest Men of Our Age"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bad Moon posted:

I'm surprised they didn't just submit "Greatest Men of Our Age"
Think bigger

Greatest Men of Human History

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

FIFA presents: Oscar Winner

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Swiss prosecutors are investigating 53 cases of possible money laundering in their inquiry into bidding for the 2018 and 2022 Fifa World Cups.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33163918

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

All they had to do is not award the 2022 to the worst possible bid and all these fuckers would have kept their jobs and expensive lifestyles.

Also lol Xavi. You complete and utter shill. http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/2493976/xavi-hernandez-qatar-has-conditions-for-great-world-cup

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crazy Ted posted:

Think bigger

Greatest Men of Human History

The Champions League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

"Mes que un club" indeed.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

All they had to do is not award the 2022 to the worst possible bid and all these fuckers would have kept their jobs and expensive lifestyles.

Also lol Xavi. You complete and utter shill. http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/2493976/xavi-hernandez-qatar-has-conditions-for-great-world-cup

That makes me sad.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Messi is a tax fraud, Neymar orchestrated a rule breaking, money laundering transfer and Xavi is a spokesman for an oppressive totalitarian regime.

Next you'll tell me that Suarez is actually a racist who bites people.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Yeah, that risk assessment chart I once posted made me think the same thing, they could have chosen one lovely corrupt country, but two was "arro-ghant" to quote Jerome Valcke

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

Yeah, that risk assessment chart I once posted made me think the same thing, they could have chosen one lovely corrupt country, but two was "arro-ghant" to quote Jerome Valcke

They pretty drat clearly thought they were untouchable, the idea of 'risk' or that they shouldn't do whatever they wanted didn't even cross their mind.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MikeJF posted:

They pretty drat clearly thought they were untouchable, the idea of 'risk' or that they shouldn't do whatever they wanted didn't even cross their mind.
Wasn't there an article that came out - either earlier this year or late last year - that stated that once the World Cup in South Africa proved to not be an utter disaster Blatter and company thought they could just put the fucker literally anywhere they wanted to and nobody would do anything about it?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Wasn't there an article that came out - either earlier this year or late last year - that stated that once the World Cup in South Africa proved to not be an utter disaster Blatter and company thought they could just put the fucker literally anywhere they wanted to and nobody would do anything about it?

I feel like they probably should have noticed the difference between a large country with Nelson Mandela as its figurehead leader and a microstate with slavery as its biggest industry.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Xavi and ISIS have a common benefactor. Good times for Catalonian nationalism to stand in solidarity with the caliphate.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Suqit posted:

That makes me sad.

Same, op. Same.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They should make a film about it

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Twat le Piss posted:

They should make a film about it

Men of Legend(ary Hubris)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
United Baksheesh

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

i would just like to say: i told you so re: Xavi. He's a sell out little prick.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

opus111 posted:

i would just like to say: i told you so re: Xavi. He's a sell out little prick.

In a way I am shocked people are surprised he did this, especially since his boyhood club literally whored themselves out to qatar to support the world cup bid.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Byolante posted:

In a way I am shocked people are surprised he did this, especially since his boyhood club literally whored themselves out to qatar to support the world cup bid.

read the pep book; the whole barca side during the pep manager years sounds like it was some gruesome little cult.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Qatar did nothing wrong

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

opus111 posted:

read the pep book; the whole barca side during the pep manager years sounds like it was some gruesome little cult.

Death cult even, RIP Tito and Abidal and who knows how many others.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

United Passions is officially the lowest grossing movie in US film history.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/18/fifas-united-passions-lowest-grossing-film-us-history

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Everything about this movie is hilarious: Gerard Depardieu pressured the Cannes festival to show the movie: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/16/depardieu-insisted-show-fifa-film-united-passions-cannes-head

I'm pretty sure he's the only person who's not apologetic about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Everything about this movie is hilarious: Gerard Depardieu pressured the Cannes festival to show the movie: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/16/depardieu-insisted-show-fifa-film-united-passions-cannes-head

I'm pretty sure he's the only person who's not apologetic about it

Gerard Depardieu is unapologetic about anything that makes him money.