Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Octopi, Octopuses and octopodes are all considered valid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Smiles posted:

I love inklings they're so adorable

Here I doodled this today I hope it makes you smile :)

(special thanks to the goon who hosted the Splatoon fonts)

Team Dad forever.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Underpass is the worst map, it just has the biggest tendancy to go one side the whole way. urgh

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Smiles posted:

I love inklings they're so adorable

Here I doodled this today I hope it makes you smile :)

(special thanks to the goon who hosted the Splatoon fonts)

This is so good

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

I'd like to think everyone who plays the game for the first time notices water in some of the maps and makes the connection that they can go in the water since, of course they can they're squids!

And then they're sent back to the respawn point, because Inklings can't survive in water dummy.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

This means US will only get to play it for 8 hours before Splatfest, yeah?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This means US will only get to play it for 8 hours before Splatfest, yeah?

All the other updates have gone live at like 7 pst so thats actually 11 hours? Also every new map has been forced onto rotation for like four cycles so NA splatfest might only take place on Bluefin and one new map every four hours.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

zolthorg posted:

All the other updates have gone live at like 7 pst so thats actually 11 hours? Also every new map has been forced onto rotation for like four cycles so NA splatfest might only take place on Bluefin and one new map every four hours.

In Japan, the maps did not rotate for Splatfest.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

zolthorg posted:

From what I've seen of Japan's Splatfest, they actually use three maps.

...Though this doesn't bode well for hope that there will be more than two maps in the regular rotation, which it really needs.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

They should remove mall from being a playable map altogether

this is a team dog supporter btw.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

SL the Pyro posted:

From what I've seen of Japan's Splatfest, they actually use three maps.

...Though this doesn't bode well for hope that there will be more than two maps in the regular rotation, which it really needs.

Three maps, no rotation. No idea if they will be the same for all three splatfests :shrug:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Anime Curator posted:

Please do not lump all team dog members with Noistronaut.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Anime Curator posted:

The first right thing that Team Dog has said in this entire topic.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What's with this games inkopolis. I joined team cat and my plaza is filled with GO TEAM DOG. Meanwhile friends on team Dog and his plaza is filled with GO CATS GO.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What's with this games inkopolis. I joined team cat and my plaza is filled with GO TEAM DOG. Meanwhile friends on team Dog and his plaza is filled with GO CATS GO.

They want you to feel like the undercat in the fight so you try your hardest for team cat

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What's with this games inkopolis. I joined team cat and my plaza is filled with GO TEAM DOG.

So I'm not the only one that this nonsense is happening to.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Little_wh0re posted:

Underpass is the worst map, it just has the biggest tendancy to go one side the whole way. urgh

Seconded. Chokepoints are bad on Arowana but I think they're even worse on Underpass. The only way out of your own territory is three narrow passageways that are all really clearly visible from the center area. At least on Arowana the whole middle is open and you can move around a bit.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I found a lot of love in the ink brush all the sudden. It really supports my sneaky bastard style of play. Really gotta watch the other players though and I have to remember it's better to hold the brush down to run than trying to swim away like other weapons

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Randumb Thots posted:

Seconded. Chokepoints are bad on Arowana but I think they're even worse on Underpass. The only way out of your own territory is three narrow passageways that are all really clearly visible from the center area. At least on Arowana the whole middle is open and you can move around a bit.

The weird thing that always messes with my mind is the right path on your side. It feels like a sneaky path when you are taking it, but when you look at the one the enemy is using it always seems like they're pouring out of there and are easy to target. Anyone else get that confusing feeling when you're in enemy base territory and it feels like an entirely different area from your own, even though it's exactly the same layout wise?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Internet Kraken posted:

:byodood: NO OCTOPI IS NOT A PROPER PLURALIZATION DON'T DO THIS! :byodood:

Its just octopuses :spergin:

The plural of octopus is hexidecapus.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Someone made a site that tells when the map changes occur. I don't know where they get the info, but at least it's accurate - so far.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Bruceski posted:

The plural of octopus is hexidecapus.

And the plural of Octoling is "Oh, gently caress!"

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Rexroom posted:

Someone made a site that tells when the map changes occur. I don't know where they get the info, but at least it's accurate - so far.

It's on a four hour cycle :ms:

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Thanks for the advice guys!

Bean posted:

For the Splatoon birthday party, I'd let them finger paint. Way less mess and they'll totally be into it. For bonus points, buy/make a gently caress ton of vanilla pudding and add food coloring. That way they can eat their own ink as well as paint with it. You can use shaving cream to a similar effect, but it, uh, doesn't taste as good.

This sounds amazing fun and they can eat any left over 'paint' that way, bonus!

Zaphod42 posted:

Food coloring in water should do you just fine. Or honestly just get like some orange and blue supersoakers and the kids can imagine the ink. They're kids. They have imaginations.

Bean posted:

I'm trying to come up with poo poo that will keep you out of trouble with whoever does laundry. If you just had to color the water in the water guns, buy a pack of crayola washable markers, break them open, and leave them soaking in some water to leech the ink. That might at least wash out.

This'd be cool, we may do the coloring but just leave it as a grand finale so we dont have to stop and wash shirts between bouts to 'reset' the colors. They can just have intermittent water gun battles until then.

Zaphod42 posted:

Get some water balloons (ideally of bright color balloons, the water color doesn't matter at that point)

I love water balloons so I assure you this was always going to be a thing that was gonna happen

Bean posted:

EDIT: Holy hell you have to play Pin Moe on Annie's Hair.

Since he's really the only kid with a Wii u in his circle of friends he's the only one who would know who Annie is let alone that Moe goes in her hair (plus mostly boys, so you know, random girl picture that the don't know will likely leave them cold). However a 'Pin the tentacle on the squid' does sound like it'd go down well, maybe each kid gets a different colored tentacle. Thanks for the Idea!

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe give the kids all colored goggles as squid-gear (and to protect their eyes from squirt guns)

That sounds adorable and a good way to reduce crying, thanks!

Something we're going to do is make giant splatoon drawings on a1 size paper and get them to coulor it in as fast as possible (with brushes and mini paint rollers) with bonus points for keeping in the lines. No big complicated stuff but like the Squid shape or a Squid kid head. That combined with the other ideas I think we'll have a pretty good time for em.

Thanks again!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SL the Pyro posted:

... more than two maps in the regular rotation, which it really needs.

I've seen a lot of comments of this sort, but I think the game is pretty darn well thought-out the way it is. Sure we want more modes and stages and guns and gear and all that, but the design decisions seem pretty drat good. Most of the so-called needed improvements are minor quibbles and personal preferences.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

New amiibo approaching!

:stare: I need the source on this right now. I'd love to make a couple for myself.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Pro tip: if you raise your gamepad in the air in a 'Why God why!?' manner you can really mess up the motion sensing and subsequently lose the match

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

You could have just repositioned yourself and pressed Y.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

Fix posted:

I'm looking at two 3-packs on a store shelf. Anybody looking for those still at cost plus shipping in the U.S.?

um, yes please!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

New amiibo approaching!

This is so perfect T_T Who made it?!

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Blaisedell posted:

Pro tip: if you raise your gamepad in the air in a 'Why God why!?' manner you can really mess up the motion sensing and subsequently lose the match

Is the motion sensing worth playing with? I turnrd that off quickly.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Blaisedell posted:

Shouldn't it reset the motion controls if you press "Y"?

Hypha posted:

I originally had it off too but turned it back on and after you get use to using that and the motion sticks it works really well for snap aiming and fine aiming. I don't even think about it now and naturally use it while I'm moving.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hypha posted:

It's better than analog stick aiming in every single way.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Locking out the Vertical axis makes it a no sell for me. Just doesn't click for me.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Motion controls are actually super good. At the beginning of every match and every respawn I just press y a bunch and I'm fine. Idk how anyone can play a charger without it.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!
Just had maybe my best match ever. 1334 points, 7 kills, 2 deaths on Arowana Mall. The highest score from anyone else on either team was 800-something points. I blanketed the enemy base and was just mercilessly charging ahead the whole time and using Bomb Rush. I'm not usually very aggressive, but it worked well.

also, I use the motion controls. I just remember to reset them with Y every once in a while, and it works very well for me.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Motion controls are actually super good. At the beginning of every match and every respawn I just press y a bunch and I'm fine. Idk how anyone can play a charger without it.

If they allowed for vertical it'd work.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oxxidation posted:

Lot of Catdog pics going up on Miiverse lately.

This game really is the revenge of the 90's.

Too much Catdog, not enough Ren & Stimpy imo

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

If they allowed for vertical it'd work.
You mean verticals adjustment with the stick right

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Idk how anyone can play a charger without it.

Splatterscopes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zolthorg posted:

I assumed Splatfest being 6am-6am was based on EST, because the 3am PST map rotation corresponds to a 6am EST rotation.

• Locked thread