Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: also, it's a rental vacation home, not our own. Not sure how much of a difference that makes. And yes, I'm making sure they allow events.

Look for some day-of insurance. Shouldn't be too expensive. Dram Shop liability is a thing and it's .05 in CO to get popped on a DUI.

Last I remember from my modest law studies it is a lease at that point and you have the right to peaceably and freely enjoy the premises. This is - of course - subject to any covenants prohibiting certain acts such as smoking, violating HOA rules, excessive guest count, etc. Nothing should get in the way of you enjoying drinks with friends to celebrate your wedding. Also: I am not a lawyer.

Where are you getting married again? It's been really rainy up here in Breckenridge so far this season. All of my ceremonies have been rained out and I lost a speaker two weeks ago to excessive rain. Just be sure you have a rain-or-shine plan in place. We need the rain to keep our water table intact and stave off wildfire, but I've never seen so many ceremonies squashed as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Up in the Estes/Allenspark area. Part of what we are looking for in a vacation home is a big enough house to cram everyone in if weather gets nasty. We found one amazing one, but I don't think it will work. Somebody booked it Sunday-Sunday the day after our date before we could get together the deposit.

I'm not getting married until next July, I'm just having my fiancee call caterers while I'm at work to get estimates, and I figured I should know whether I needed to plan on catered liquor as well. It looks like I won't have to, which is good.

Good to know about the legal limit. I thought I had read it was .08.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Anybody have guidance on surnames? At the moment my fiance and I want to swap our surnames since we think a double-barreled surname isn't right for us but like the idea of changing our names to reflect our marriage. Neither of us bank on name recognition in our field (I'm 25 years old, let's get real here) so I don't see any issues there, but I can't help but have this nagging feeling I'm missing some obvious downside of us not actually having the same last name as a married couple.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Xibanya posted:

Anybody have guidance on surnames? At the moment my fiance and I want to swap our surnames since we think a double-barreled surname isn't right for us but like the idea of changing our names to reflect our marriage. Neither of us bank on name recognition in our field (I'm 25 years old, let's get real here) so I don't see any issues there, but I can't help but have this nagging feeling I'm missing some obvious downside of us not actually having the same last name as a married couple.

So you want to take each other's names? You'd probably run into the same issues as when one person just doesn't take the others, mostly it's an ~issue~ when it comes to kids. If that is what you're thinking of doing, would you consider just making a new name together (either a Mashup of your current names or a new one entirely)? In NY, where I am, they allow both parties to change their names with the marriage certificate as long as it's a name one party already uses, previously used, or is a mush of both names. So now entirely new name without going to court, but still a few good options. Thay would allow you to both change your names but have the same name.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ilysespieces posted:

So you want to take each other's names? You'd probably run into the same issues as when one person just doesn't take the others, mostly it's an ~issue~ when it comes to kids. If that is what you're thinking of doing, would you consider just making a new name together (either a Mashup of your current names or a new one entirely)? In NY, where I am, they allow both parties to change their names with the marriage certificate as long as it's a name one party already uses, previously used, or is a mush of both names. So now entirely new name without going to court, but still a few good options. Thay would allow you to both change your names but have the same name.

As far as kids go, I was actually thinking double barreled without a hyphen, Spanish style, but I don't want to have a kid for at least 10 years so I do have some time to think about it. A new name entirely though...I hadn't considered it but that's an interesting idea.

E: removed personal info

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 2, 2015

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Would it be a workable idea to go with AirBnb over a hotel for a two week honeymoon in Hawaii? We are early in the planning stage and had a great experience for a few days in Portland at an AirBnb, so we are considering booking for one week at one AirBnb, and one week at another close by. It looks like there are some nice rentals available, or is the hotel experience worth the extra cost?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Which island? We honeymooned on Oahu and stayed in a hotel on Waikiki. Driving in Hawaii is a nightmare, so unless you get a place within walking distance of most things you want to do I'd rather book a hotel.

What are you referring to with "hotel experience" exactly?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Which island? We honeymooned on Oahu and stayed in a hotel on Waikiki. Driving in Hawaii is a nightmare, so unless you get a place within walking distance of most things you want to do I'd rather book a hotel.

What are you referring to with "hotel experience" exactly?

Was looking at Kauai, but nothing confirmed yet. That's good to know driving is a hassle, and to look at walking distance. In your opinion would it be worth renting a car at all, or would it not get used? (we mostly would want to visit beach and restaurants, probably no big hikes). For "hotel experience" I guess having access to cleaning and hotel tourist activities (sorry for vague description, I need to research more)? Would you recommend Oahu?

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 18, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've heard that motorcycles are much easier to get around with in Hawaii, although the people who told me that lived on the big island. And Hawaii drivers are crazy, so you'd want to wear full gear. And have fun wearing leathers and a full helmet in Hawaii.

It might just be better to go with a car / have everything in walking distance.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'll look at that PDF when I'm on a pc, my phone will only open downloaded PDFs.

I'll also look into the special event insurance. None of the people we are inviting tend to be big drinkers, but given how much a wedding costs, it probably won't be all that much by comparison. Honestly the more I plan this the more I want to elope.

E: also, it's a rental vacation home, not our own. Not sure how much of a difference that makes. And yes, I'm making sure they allow events.

I am an insurance agent in OH, and day of Special Event Insurance (do this a month in advance...it is paperwork and money) runs like $250-400 for $1,000,000 in Liability when Alcohol is served. I know you said there aren't many big drinkers, but remember it only takes ONE person to drink heavily and leave to cause a problem. Better safe than sorry.

At a rental vacation home I think the same rules apply. You can serve alcohol on a premises that you are legally in control of.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Was looking at Kauai, but nothing confirmed yet. That's good to know driving is a hassle, and to look at walking distance. In your opinion would it be worth renting a car at all, or would it not get used? (we mostly would want to visit beach and restaurants, probably no big hikes). For "hotel experience" I guess having access to cleaning and hotel tourist activities (sorry for vague description, I need to research more)? Would you recommend Oahu?

Kauai is drivable and not as much of a nightmare as the other islands, and also less touristy than the main island, if that means anything to you.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

gtkor posted:

Destination wedding question.

We are going to Costa Rica for our wedding with a group totaling 26 (including us). Everyone is staying at the same hotel and the ceremony and reception will both be there. We are staying 3 nights, so I am figuring I would probably leave a tip for the hotel staff at the end of everything.

I have no idea what to base the tip off of or how much would be appropriate. Google says yeah tip for good service which is kind of a given.

It is not an all inclusive if that matters, so we are kind of taking over the place to some extent.

What part of Costa Rica? My friend moved down there recently for six months, and we're thinking about coming down for a visit. If you do anything awesome near San Jose, would you shoot me a PM and let me know about it? Have fun!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Mojo Threepwood posted:

We only stayed on Oahu because there's a military-only resort there that we could stay at for cheap. We rented a car and used it maybe half the days we were on the island, I'd recommend getting a car just to be able to do stuff more spontaneously without having to call cabs or wait for hotel shuttles.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Skutter posted:

What part of Costa Rica? My friend moved down there recently for six months, and we're thinking about coming down for a visit. If you do anything awesome near San Jose, would you shoot me a PM and let me know about it? Have fun!

We are actually going to Tamarindo which is on the pacific coast. A bit of a ways out from San Jose. I have been a few times to Costa Rica but have never spent too much time in San Jose.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xibanya posted:

I like the idea of a mashup in principle, but it tends to only work well with names that have multiple syllables, and, well, my last name is :smith: (:haw:) and his last name is a Spanish name for an animal because his ancestors were crypto-jews. Let's say it's "conejo" (it's not). Smonejo is dumb, not to mention the "sm-" phoneme is unnatural in Spanish. Conejoth is dumber. It just ain't gonna work. As far as kids go, I was actually thinking double barreled without a hyphen, Spanish style, but I don't want to have a kid for at least 10 years so I do have some time to think about it. A new name entirely though...I hadn't considered it but that's an interesting idea.

Spanish style would be coolest. Bonus points if you change your part to Herrera.

Chessna
Dec 24, 2008
What resources did you all use when you started looking for wedding venues? I recently moved up to Seattle and I really don't know the area yet but most of my fiances' large family currently lives in WA so we figured it be easier (and prettier...) to have the wedding here. I'd rather it not be in a hotel/convention center/etc so Googling wedding venues isn't giving me the results I want.

For reference, we're looking at about 60 guests and we'd like it to be indoor/outdoor in the early summer. We've been engaged for 3 months and we just now made a guest list, so I feel a little behind. I just don't know where to start, especially since neither of us ever really thought about a wedding before!

Also, what are people's thoughts on hiring a wedding planner? Are they worth the extra money?

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Chessna posted:

What resources did you all use when you started looking for wedding venues? I recently moved up to Seattle and I really don't know the area yet but most of my fiances' large family currently lives in WA so we figured it be easier (and prettier...) to have the wedding here. I'd rather it not be in a hotel/convention center/etc so Googling wedding venues isn't giving me the results I want.

For reference, we're looking at about 60 guests and we'd like it to be indoor/outdoor in the early summer. We've been engaged for 3 months and we just now made a guest list, so I feel a little behind. I just don't know where to start, especially since neither of us ever really thought about a wedding before!

Also, what are people's thoughts on hiring a wedding planner? Are they worth the extra money?

I just got married on Whidbey Island. It has a fun "destination" feel, even for the locals. Also check out Snohomish, Bainbridge Island, southeast by Snoqualmie (but NOT the Falls).... I think we found most of our options on The Knot.

PM me. I can send links to vendors we liked.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Unless you're exceptionally disorganized or work 80+ hours a week I wouldn't bother with a wedding planner. They're a tremendous waste of money. I planned our wedding from halfway across the country with four date changes and I never once felt the need to hire a planner fwiw.

As for finding venues, The Knot, Wedding Wire, and just plain ole Google are probably your best bets.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

As for finding venues, The Knot, Wedding Wire, and just plain ole Google are probably your best bets.

Just be careful with The Knot. They tend to not understand what "The [insert your town name] area" means. I put in Memphis, and it gives me pages and pages of suggestions for Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, etc. That's "in the area" in the same way that Boston is "in the area" of NYC. Be sure to set your filters properly and ignore the "Featured page" options at the top.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Do you think we should include a stamp with each of our invitations for the response card, or do people not get bent out of shape over $0.50 of postage anymore (or at worst, paying $10 to get a new book of stamps)?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 19, 2015

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

C-Euro posted:

Do you think we should include a stamp with each of our invitations for the response card, or do people not get bent out of shape over $0.50 of postage anymore (or at worst, paying $10 to get a new book of stamps)?

Make it easy; you already run the risk of lazy relatives not responding in a timely fashion. Stamp the cards unless the recipient lives in another country.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Definitely make it as fool-proof as possible. We went with postcards for the response so that people didn't even have to reseal it after they were done.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I recently got an invitation with no RSVP postage, and as a result I sent it late because I didn't have any stamps on hand and I kept forgetting to get some. People so rarely send physical mail anymore it's not a good idea to assume everyone's going to have stamps.

We didn't give stamps to people who were returning the RSVPs internationally because we had no idea on how to deal with the postage for that one and it was very likely they weren't going to come anyway, but all the domestic invites got stamped RSVPs. If you really don't want to buy a poo poo ton of postage you can always set up an RSVP site online (most wedding website templates have them that are pretty easy to set up and use) if your guests are computer-savvy, and even simpler a friend of mine set up a gmail account for their wedding and just stuck a card in their invites telling people to RSVP by emailing them at that address or giving them a call.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
We didn't do stamps on our RSVPs, but we also did the optional website RSVP. Now i'm curious if we hosed up. Just get the stamps.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Get the stamps. It's like $40, and you can get pretty roses and such :3

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Get the stamps. It's like $40, and you can get pretty roses and such :3

We used these, they were the least barf-y but still wedding-y: Sealed with Love

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Max posted:

Definitely make it as fool-proof as possible. We went with postcards for the response so that people didn't even have to reseal it after they were done.

Postcards have the additionally benefit of being cheaper.

Although we did two things that were free and electronic:

1) Website RSVP
2) Google Voice phone number and voicemail, for those older relatives without the internet and/or not net savvy.

Actually the Google Voice account for the wedding is an all around great idea. That way you're not handing out your number to any vendors/sales people who will haunt you with ultra annoying requests. Once we had finalized all our vendors we gave them our real numbers.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too

daggerdragon posted:

We used these, they were the least barf-y but still wedding-y: Sealed with Love

I used these Vintage Rose stamps. I really liked the woodcut style they had at Christmas time when I sent out my save the dates, but alas.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Why is there a line through the word 'forever' on these stamps? Seems ominous.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We used the Vintage Rose stamp on our invites. The line is just on their website for forgery reasons (even though the zoom view doesn't have it :downs:)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

You can also check out Paperless, depending on how many people you are inviting. The only drawback to that is if you have any elderly people who don't do email, or if there are sticklers who will think it's not a formal enough invitation.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

Be careful what post office you take your invites to for mailing. We got ours hand canceled at a satellite office, but the main hub ran them through their machines for canceling anyways. Bummer when you find out your $7 a piece invites arrived with torn edges and smudging. The satellite post office lady said they were known for that, but didn't offer up that advice before we sent them.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

bathhouse posted:

Be careful what post office you take your invites to for mailing. We got ours hand canceled at a satellite office, but the main hub ran them through their machines for canceling anyways. Bummer when you find out your $7 a piece invites arrived with torn edges and smudging. The satellite post office lady said they were known for that, but didn't offer up that advice before we sent them.

Isn't that the entire point of having inner and outer envelopes though? The outer envelope is going to to get beaten to hell and ripped apart and thrown away, but the inner envelope stays nice.

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

rot in hell, wonderbread.
Last week, my fiancé and I decided it would be better to get married before our trip to meet her family in Kyrgyzstan. We leave in 2 weeks. Luckily Vegas has an entire industry around last-minute wedding planning. I had 29 out of 32 guest accept and things are starting to look like they'll actually come together! Costs aren't crazy either. ~$6k for the wedding and the reception. Both at really nice locations.

Any other Vegas weddings here?

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Isn't that the entire point of having inner and outer envelopes though? The outer envelope is going to to get beaten to hell and ripped apart and thrown away, but the inner envelope stays nice.

Can't protect your card stock completely when they squeeze it through their sorting machines. Stuffing the inserts in a different order might have prevented some things. I wish we would have done a test run with some spares to see the best approach.

bathhouse fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 22, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of invites, what are the good sites out there? We have been looking at Minted, which seems to be nice quality and reasonably priced, but we only really like one of their designs.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We are going purely electronic with our invites. In the grand scheme of things, invitations rank about #24 out of the top #30 things we want, so we're fine going cheap and knowing I'll still have to track down people to get them to RSVP.

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
To jump in on stampchat, I went with these song bird stamps for our invites:

https://store.usps.com/store/browse...=book-of-stamps

They're pretty and classy without being sappy and now that all the invites, RSVPs and Thank You cards have been sent I don't feel weird about using the leftovers to pay bills.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

We went with weddingpaperdivas, kind of pricey but they were really nice quality and their customer service is great, especially with tweaking proofs to get them just right.

They've also got sales and coupons all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We went with weddingpaperdivas, kind of pricey but they were really nice quality and their customer service is great, especially with tweaking proofs to get them just right.

They've also got sales and coupons all the time.

We did this too, and even though we had some trouble with the interface they turned out exactly like we wanted them to, thanks to a special "designer requests" field.

Just got a call from my mom that my sister was confused because her RSVP didn't say "C-Euro's Sister and Guest", even though there are two separate names for lines on the actual RSVP. It's not my fault* I haven't seen a wedding invitation since 2010, I thought it was obvious! :negative: I can't wait to have this conversation fifty times over the next month. Also no inner/outer envelopes, but I haven't heard complaints about that yet.

*it probably is

E: Oh God no one knows where to send their RSVPs, despite our return address being right there on the loving envelope. My mom texted me saying "there are wedding rules on theknot.com you know", as if the FBI is going to kick down my door any day now.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 26, 2015