Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Checks box for Primer.

Okay.

Goes to find a guide to explain it.

I liked it a lot. I read the basic reviews here saying it's confusing so I tried to put everything I had into deciphering what happened as it did and still failed pretty bad.

The soundtrack kinda reminded me of Trent Reznor's from The Social Network. Neat that the one guy did it, along with literally everything else in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Transformers Age of Extinction is worth watching to see just how low Michael Bay can sink. There is not a single thing that man won't shill for.

Not just painfully bad product placement. Clunky, terrible political propaganda. A Hong Kong security officer actually shouts, “We gotta call the central government for help.”

This is followed up a quick cut to Beijing, where the defense minister confidently states, "The Central Government will protect Hong Kong at all costs. We have fighter jets on the way.”

Just. Yuck.

Hey, at least its a tight, streamlined TWO HOURS AND 45 GODDAMN MINUTES. I seriously thought that was a typo when I saw the listing on Netflix.

Also I watched the entire thing and I must have missed the explanation of what the hell the dino-bots were, and why they were on that ship. Prime just finds them and is like "oh poo poo yea, ancient warriors!", and that's all the information I remember being given. I probably had a few mini-strokes during this grand epic though, so I may have missed some exposition.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 19, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Basebf555 posted:

Hey, at least its a tight, streamlined TWO HOURS AND 45 GODDAMN MINUTES. I seriously thought that was a typo when I saw the listing on Netflix.

Also I watched the entire thing and I must have missed the explanation of what the hell the dino-bots were, and why they were on that ship. Prime just finds them and is like "oh poo poo yea, ancient warriors!", and that's all the information I remember being given. I probably had a few mini-strokes during this grand epic though, so I may have missed some exposition.

Considering the ship used to belong to Prime it seems like he captured and enslaved them at some point. Michael Bay is kind of like Gene Wolfe in that. It's your job as a viewer to fit together the pieces he presents.

Edit
I haven't seen it since it was out in theaters. Might check it out again this weekend to see if I can try to puzzle it out again.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have literally hit the point multiple times where Netflix won't let me add stuff to my list anymore. I can't even comprehend not having triple digits in my Netflix queue.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't really bother with a list because it's a lot of hassle to look at stuff, add it, then remove it later and most of what I watch are (long running) TV shows so I'm usually content for days/weeks.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Chichevache posted:

Considering the ship used to belong to Prime it seems like he captured and enslaved them at some point. Michael Bay is kind of like Gene Wolfe in that. It's your job as a viewer to fit together the pieces he presents.

Edit
I haven't seen it since it was out in theaters. Might check it out again this weekend to see if I can try to puzzle it out again.

Prime being able to fly when convenient with no explanation was probably my favorite movie moment from that year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

I like how the big bad guy (The Never? Was that his loving name?) says "Welp, peace out humans, enjoy your lovely planet" and then there's still over NINETY MINUTES left

e: Age of Extinction literally makes less sense than Primer, I think

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

I like how the big bad guy (The Never? Was that his loving name?) says "Welp, peace out humans, enjoy your lovely planet" and then there's still over NINETY MINUTES left

I've only seen pieces out of order of the Transformers movie. I went to a friends house, and he has the worst ADD possible, and he basically fastfowarded and rewound through the movie skipping to all the parts he liked. I haven't watched it after that on purpose, because I like it better that way.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

precision posted:

Primer is short and good though

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I remember trying to watch the third Transformers movie after cocksuckers said it was the best one. They lied. It was rancid. The first one is still okay.

The Lost Boys is still a fun time.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

morestuff posted:

Prime being able to fly when convenient with no explanation was probably my favorite movie moment from that year.

Did they ever establish that he couldn't fly? :godwin:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Check out Bruiser with Jason Flemyng and Peter Stomare. A George Romero movie about a man who wakes up to find his face is missing and has been replaced by a white featureless mask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zg3FCQLRWE

Granted the trailer is pretty awful.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 19, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The film is pretty awful too.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Just watched season 1 of The 100, and it's passable TV sci fi. If you like Continuum and shows like that, a lot of the same actors are on it. Basically about 2000 members of humanity are all that's left after a global nuclear apocalypse, floating on the world's merged space stations. They're waiting for the world to become habitable, and after 100 or so years send 100 juvie convicts down to test. There's some story inconsistency, like they discover people on the supposed barren planet, and their first instinct isn't to ask them questions about the earth, just to kill them. But again, it reminds me of Lost, Star Trek or Heroes and is about the same quality. I'll watch season 2 when it comes out.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Allyn posted:

Because I haven't had time to until the past 10 days, since when I've cut it down by at least 10

Heh i was only messing sorry friend.

I've not used Netflix for ages til yesterday when I started that sense 8 show. Up to the end of episode two and I like it so far, but I'm thinking once the mystery goes it might be like heroes was (remember heroes?! )

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Pander posted:

Checks box for Primer.

Okay.

Goes to find a guide to explain it.

I liked it a lot. I read the basic reviews here saying it's confusing so I tried to put everything I had into deciphering what happened as it did and still failed pretty bad.

The soundtrack kinda reminded me of Trent Reznor's from The Social Network. Neat that the one guy did it, along with literally everything else in the film.

I watched it after seeing posts here thinking 'fuckin Goons making it seem hard to understand' but none of it made sense

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I watched it after seeing posts here thinking 'fuckin Goons making it seem hard to understand' but none of it made sense

This will probably not help

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I've only seen pieces out of order of the Transformers movie. I went to a friends house, and he has the worst ADD possible, and he basically fastfowarded and rewound through the movie skipping to all the parts he liked. I haven't watched it after that on purpose, because I like it better that way.

Oh my god just imagining this is driving me up a wall.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

I'm serious, this video guide is the best way to understand the Primer timeline.

Also very entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntxa9x45gs0

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

LloydDobler posted:

Just watched season 1 of The 100, and it's passable TV sci fi. If you like Continuum and shows like that, a lot of the same actors are on it. Basically about 2000 members of humanity are all that's left after a global nuclear apocalypse, floating on the world's merged space stations. They're waiting for the world to become habitable, and after 100 or so years send 100 juvie convicts down to test. There's some story inconsistency, like they discover people on the supposed barren planet, and their first instinct isn't to ask them questions about the earth, just to kill them. But again, it reminds me of Lost, Star Trek or Heroes and is about the same quality. I'll watch season 2 when it comes out.

If you can change your Netflix region, Season 2 is on Canadian Netflix.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Age of Extinction is a typically over self-indulgent, overwrought psychotic Bay film, but it's really not horrendous by any stretch of the imagination. It's not Transformers or Armageddon or anything, and it's even a step down from Dark of the Moon, but I was still thoroughly entertained by the two-fisted, foul-mouthed madness of it all.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

K. Waste posted:

Age of Extinction is a typically over self-indulgent, overwrought psychotic Bay film, but it's really not horrendous by any stretch of the imagination. It's not Transformers or Armageddon or anything, and it's even a step down from Dark of the Moon, but I was still thoroughly entertained by the two-fisted, foul-mouthed madness of it all.

Is it actually possible to see what the hell is happening during any action scene in this one?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Vosgian Beast posted:

When someone posted 2chan's reaction to the first Godzilla trailer, there were some people basically calling him this.

I'm honestly really curious about how 2ch reacts to Western movies now. I wonder if they'll have a similar reaction to Fury Road to ours (though I guess the amount of pixiv fanart will be a better gauge of that).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 19, 2015

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Is it actually possible to see what the hell is happening during any action scene in this one?

I've grown a lot more accustomed to the 'logic' of Bay's action sequences, so I really couldn't say. Like, the climax in Hong Kong is probably the most cluster-fucky thing Bay has ever made. Over time, I've grown to find Bay's cinematography and editing not at all difficult to follow, as long as I'm not trying to, like, figure out the blueprint of the battle and accept that it's supposed to be at least partially incomprehensible because it's largely from the perspective of scrambling, tiny people.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I always thought the the transformers were just plain hard to make out during any action scene. Their bodies (or whatever) look so busy and intricate that my brain can only see a mostly formless mass.

edit
I've only seen the 1st one and part of the 2nd though.

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 20, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

I always thought the the transformers were just plain hard to make out during any action scene. Their bodies (or whatever) look so busy and intricate that my brain can only see a mostly formless mass.

This was the big problem I remember having with the first one and why I had zero interest in the others. Anytime there was a transformer on screen, especially if there was any kind of movement going on, it may as well have been static with "Giant Robot" written across the middle of the screen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

girth brooks part 2 posted:

This was the big problem I remember having with the first one and why I had zero interest in the others. Anytime there was a transformer on screen, especially if there was any kind of movement going on, it may as well have been static with "Giant Robot" written across the middle of the screen.

They toned down a bunch of the animations for the later series (partially because it was literally causing their rendering machines to melt).

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

edit

Fair enough. Again, I think it's just a thing relative to how well you respond to being discombobulated and confused. I also didn't really like Transformers the first and a half times I saw it. More recently, though, I just find the whole series fascinating.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

computer parts posted:

Wow, even 100 years ago films ended with a dance party.
Actually, the second novel ended in a dance party. The movies just tried to be faithful.

precision posted:

The Japanese actor voices a robot Samurai! It's not racist, just historically accurate!
I dunno about this, considering that most of the robots' voices came from medai which they intercepted and digested, didn't it? By that metric you would pretty much assume they would only talk in voice clips from popular films. (which would probably be way cool - if all of them communicated essentially like Bumblebee's gimmick - except they were stuck in a certain theme or actor's catalog). :laugh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

coyo7e posted:

Actually, the second novel ended in a dance party. The movies just tried to be faithful.
I dunno about this, considering that most of the robots' voices came from medai which they intercepted and digested, didn't it? By that metric you would pretty much assume they would only talk in voice clips from popular films. (which would probably be way cool - if all of them communicated essentially like Bumblebee's gimmick - except they were stuck in a certain theme or actor's catalog). :laugh:

Actually yes if they all talked in cliche sound clips it would probably improve the films immensely. It would also be nice if each film didn't feature Optimus Prime dying and coming back and giving a speech about how we all have to work together.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Adding to the Nightcrawler white noise here, but whoo boy was it a great film all around. Lou is a TRUE Randian superman.
(This is from a few pages back but I just watched the movie)
At first I thought Lou was autistic, then maybe a psychopath, but around halfway with that grotesque dinner conversation I realized that he's really a true-blue Objectivist. I think a diehard Randian would consider this an aspirational film, just like how certain people somehow think Scarface is a character to look up to. The self above all! Altruism is for parasites. Rick had to be eliminated for the higher good; it was the only rational option. Chilling how by the end Nina was worn down and seduced by it - she wasn't exactly a moral champion when we first meet her, but by the end... "I think Lou is inspiring all of us to reach a little higher" - delivered as poor Mr Ethics can only stare in wide-eyed despair at the cynical discarding of substance. Was this a metaphor for how news media has fallen in love with pandering to the basest scare stories in a self-serving quest for the all powerful dollar, truth or community concerns be damned? I think so.
I can sympathize with the earlier concern someone had of overselling the film with too much hype though; I thought it was very good and Gyllenhaal was exceptional, but I'm not sure it was more than that. I'm not in a hurry to re watch it.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
So after Netflix recommended that I watch Pontypool for like two years straight, we broke down and watched it last night. Good idea. I went in cold not knowing much beyond the Netflix description, so I won't go into too much detail. Best way I can describe it is like you're in the studio with a shlocky radio jock version of Orson Wells as he's reading the War of the Worlds broadcast, and instead of a martian invasion, it's "disturbing events in a small town". It's obviously a lower budget movie but with the limited scope it does a good job keeping the suspense up and the right amount of comic relief.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

edit

You can pretty accurately describe the transformers movies as "noise". Their robot designs are noisy and fall to pieces visually the moment they start moving, they are loud and bombastic and not in a cool way, the dialogue is so poo poo it's just white noise, the plots are pointless and you can recap them with a gif of michael bay fanning himself with a wad of cash while farting loudy, etc

Every so often people like to act like there's something brilliant going on under the surface in those movies which I will never understand, as far as I'm concerned anything brilliant in those movies were there entirely by accident.

We're in a post Fury Road world, there's no excuse for those movies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I actually just got around to seeing Transformers 4 last night and I think overall it was fine but there's a point at about the 100 minute mark (when they rescue Optimus) that you could've just stopped the movie and said "Everything else is good for a sequel".

Also that last fight was very long and didn't do much.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

computer parts posted:

Also that last fight was very long and didn't do much.

That just means that it's stylistically consistent with the rest of the franchise.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

cat doter posted:

You can pretty accurately describe the transformers movies as "noise". Their robot designs are noisy and fall to pieces visually the moment they start moving, they are loud and bombastic and not in a cool way, the dialogue is so poo poo it's just white noise, the plots are pointless and you can recap them with a gif of michael bay fanning himself with a wad of cash while farting loudy, etc

Every so often people like to act like there's something brilliant going on under the surface in those movies which I will never understand, as far as I'm concerned anything brilliant in those movies were there entirely by accident.

There's no excuse for walking into a movie with such large blinders on that you can't even see the screen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cat doter posted:

Unfortunately...

I've been in Greeneville TN visiting my fiance's parents for a while. I'll save you a Google: it's the whitest, shittiest town possible while also being adjacent to two towns that actually have things in them (Knoxville and Asheville). Both are about an hour away.

One of the only things in this town is a large theater. Mad Max: Fury Road played there for exactly two weeks, and only had two showings a day (4 and 7, not even a late showing!) We went to see it the other day to find it was gone. They weren't busy so I asked the manager if it had performed poorly or what, because Avengers is STILL PLAYING! He said that literally less than 50 tickets were sold, total. TOTAL. He was a nice nerdy kinda guy who was a big fan of Fury Road and so he let us see Jurassic World for free.

So yeah. :(

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
There's hope for a Fury Road sequel. Pacific Rim got one with a less stellar performance.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

There's hope for a Fury Road sequel. Pacific Rim got one with a less stellar performance.

I thought that was because the Chinese loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

Unfortunately...

I've been in Greeneville TN visiting my fiance's parents for a while. I'll save you a Google: it's the whitest, shittiest town possible while also being adjacent to two towns that actually have things in them (Knoxville and Asheville). Both are about an hour away.

One of the only things in this town is a large theater. Mad Max: Fury Road played there for exactly two weeks, and only had two showings a day (4 and 7, not even a late showing!) We went to see it the other day to find it was gone. They weren't busy so I asked the manager if it had performed poorly or what, because Avengers is STILL PLAYING! He said that literally less than 50 tickets were sold, total. TOTAL. He was a nice nerdy kinda guy who was a big fan of Fury Road and so he let us see Jurassic World for free.

So yeah. :(

Fury Road did really well though and it's still playing in every theater near me.

Sorry you are going to have to rent it, it's one of the few movies I'd consider a must see in theaters. Not that it won't be great on video too.