Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hey thread, brand new rider here. I have a couple of questions about my bike, a 1989 Honda CB-1

After I start it and kick it down to first gear, the bike sort of tries to lurch forward a bit. This is with the clutch level fully depressed. Not enough to really move me (even without brakes applied) but I was wondering if the clutch cable needs to be adjusted, like it seems like it might not be fully separated from the engine or something. Does it need to be adjusted?

When I put the bike in steering lock mode and remove the key, the rear light comes on. No other lights are on though. Is this an electrical issue that can be remedied easily? I don't want to run the battery down just because I have the steering lock on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

After I start it and kick it down to first gear, the bike sort of tries to lurch forward a bit. This is with the clutch level fully depressed. Not enough to really move me (even without brakes applied) but I was wondering if the clutch cable needs to be adjusted, like it seems like it might not be fully separated from the engine or something. Does it need to be adjusted?

This is normal. When you release the clutch, a spring presses the clutch plates together. When you pull the clutch, it simply relieves that spring pressure but doesn't actually pull the plates back apart. The plates stick together a little bit, and the lurching is from a little bit of friction/sticktion as the plates unstick and separate slightly.

A MIRACLE posted:

When I put the bike in steering lock mode and remove the key, the rear light comes on. No other lights are on though. Is this an electrical issue that can be remedied easily? I don't want to run the battery down just because I have the steering lock on

I'm not sure here but my bike has four key positions, On, Off, Lock, and Park. Park leaves the lights on. I often accidentally overshoot Lock and turn the key all the way to Park when I'm leaving the bike. Maybe that's what's going on?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Okay, thanks. The thing is pretty worn down so its a little hard to read haha

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Where do you find star washers?

Not ENERGY STAR WASHERS (thanks, Lowes) but more like https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/11510924

Been to Lowes, Home Depot, Autozone, O'Reilly, and in desperation a Radioshack. No luck. I want some today, not in a week.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is there an Ace hardware near you? Mine has those.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

There's a Fastenal near me, they're pretty great. Look for dedicated fastener supply stores?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Do these fork seals need replaced?

This is my first biek and I've only had it a few years, so if it's painfully obvious to you, yes I'm asking seriously.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They aren't leaking, leave them alone. That's just the dust seal, the fork seal sits under that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

But it looks like something bad is happening under there. The steel circlip might be rusting, if it gets too bad it will be impossible to get out and/or cause damage to the lowers when the seals do need replacement.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

That's a relief, thanks! Yeah, I've been checking closely for leaks (spots of oil on the fork after it goes down and comes back up). Didn't realize those were just the dust seals.

Just found this helpful image to help me understand wtf is going on in there:

e:

Ola posted:

But it looks like something bad is happening under there. The steel circlip might be rusting, if it gets too bad it will be impossible to get out and/or cause damage to the lowers when the seals do need replacement.

:ohdear:
What makes you say that, the spots of rust around the bottom of the dust seal?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

alnilam posted:

That's a relief, thanks! Yeah, I've been checking closely for leaks (spots of oil on the fork after it goes down and comes back up). Didn't realize those were just the dust seals.

Just found this helpful image to help me understand wtf is going on in there:

e:

:ohdear:
What makes you say that, the spots of rust around the bottom of the dust seal?

Here is a better picture for you to see - this is from my Duc.

Dust Seal
Fork Seal Retaining Clip
Fork Seal
Fork Seal Washer
Fork Slider Bushing
Fork Tube Bushing

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

M42 posted:

Is there an Ace hardware near you? Mine has those.

Hell yes there is and hell yes they do. Dude knew right where they were and didn't think I was talking about a washing machine.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

clutchpuck posted:

Hell yes there is and hell yes they do. Dude knew right where they were and didn't think I was talking about a washing machine.

Ace really is the place with the helpful hardware man folks.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Marv Hushman posted:

Ace really is the place with the helpful hardware man folks.

All this time I thought it was "ace is the place where the helpful hardware goes" and it never made sense.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

hot sauce posted:

All this time I thought it was "ace is the place where the helpful hardware goes" and it never made sense.

You and me both. For years, I've been wondering what the hell they're singing. Not the result you want with a jingle, really.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
So I have a silly question.

I have a topcase, with a rack. (Givi 1121FZ Top Case Support Brackets Honda CB500X 2013-2015 AND Givi B37 Tech Monolock Top Case)

I want to get side cases, but I have zero idea how they'd fit with the top case as well. Givi doesn't seem to have any real documentation that I can find (which could be my google-fu-fail) but i need to figure out if I can put the Givi V35 cases or Givi Trekker Outback on at the same time (or even something cheaper that doesn't look like poo poo)

I see pictures of a top case and side case, but I can't tell what is compatible with what. If anyone has any ideas of what works and what doesnt, that'd be helpful

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Marv Hushman posted:

Not the result you want with a jingle, really.

Well, you're discussing it. So, net win.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BlackMK4 posted:

They aren't leaking, leave them alone. That's just the dust seal, the fork seal sits under that.

unless there's no oil left to leak out :ohdear:

Ola posted:

Yeah removing the circlips when they're rusted in place is a bitch and a half.

Buy a couple new ones and a couple new dust caps to start. Plan on replacing those and check the seals out while you're in there.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

unless there's no oil left to leak out :ohdear:

Yeah removing the circlips when they're rusted in place is a bitch and a half.

Buy a couple new ones and a couple new dust caps to start. Plan on replacing those and check the seals out while you're in there.

If I'm not replacing the seals, how easy is this? Are we talking "pop off the dust seal and circlip, pop the new ones back in, bada bing bada boom," or does this involve taking the fork apart?

Again this is my first biek so I'm learning everything for the first time, but I hope to slowly accumulate all of the biek maintenance knowledges.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's very simple. Pry out the old dust seal with a screwdriver (from the outside, NOT from the stanchion side or you'll scratch the chrome), then flick out the circlip using a pick or small screwdriver or similar. You don't need to take the fork apart, you just need to take it off the bike, and just avoid scratching the stanchion.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

It's very simple. Pry out the old dust seal with a screwdriver (from the outside, NOT from the stanchion side or you'll scratch the chrome), then flick out the circlip using a pick or small screwdriver or similar. You don't need to take the fork apart, you just need to take it off the bike, and just avoid scratching the stanchion.

So to check, the parts I'm looking for are, as per bike bandit,

92093: SEAL,FORK OUTER TUBE <-- this is what y'all are calling the "dust seal"?
92033: CIRCLIP

And the item that you're calling the actual fork seal, which I DON"T want to remove (unless it looks like poo poo), is
92049: SEAL-OIL,FORK OUTER T

How do I get the new circular parts onto the fork without taking it off the bike?
Oh damnit, when you say "take it off the bike" do you mean remove the whole fork from the triple tree? That sounds a little more involved, and like I'll have to borrow a front-stand.

e: if it's pertinent, it's a 2007 kawasaki vulcan 500

alnilam fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 16, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Center stand (or stacked 4x4s) and a cinder block or two near the back, along with a ratchet strap, works wonders for when you're poor and a redneck.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

alnilam posted:

So to check, the parts I'm looking for are, as per bike bandit,

92093: SEAL,FORK OUTER TUBE <-- this is what y'all are calling the "dust seal"?
92033: CIRCLIP

And the item that you're calling the actual fork seal, which I DON"T want to remove (unless it looks like poo poo), is
92049: SEAL-OIL,FORK OUTER T

Yes for the 92093. You're not going to remove the fork seal by accident, they don't come out easily or without taking the fork further apart. :)
(You unbolt 44029, dump the contents of the fork out, ,unbolt44041 with an impact gun, remove 92033, and basically slide hammer the loving fork apart)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 16, 2015

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

How do I take the seat off of my CM400A?

I'm terminally incompetent and underconfident so I'll probably have a lot of dumb questions like these for a while. I want to get to the air filter to blast it out. After that, I can't wait to figure out how to oil change. Oh, and chain lube!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

nitrogen posted:

So I have a silly question.

I have a topcase, with a rack. (Givi 1121FZ Top Case Support Brackets Honda CB500X 2013-2015 AND Givi B37 Tech Monolock Top Case)

I want to get side cases, but I have zero idea how they'd fit with the top case as well. Givi doesn't seem to have any real documentation that I can find (which could be my google-fu-fail) but i need to figure out if I can put the Givi V35 cases or Givi Trekker Outback on at the same time (or even something cheaper that doesn't look like poo poo)

I see pictures of a top case and side case, but I can't tell what is compatible with what. If anyone has any ideas of what works and what doesnt, that'd be helpful

I still don't quite understand how the Givi system works. But you'll need to add some side case racks, there are three to choose from here, depending on which cases you want to use:

http://www.sporttour.com/products/c505-Honda-CB-500-X-Motorcycle-Accessories/

They are all compatible with the top case rack.

I don't know if any/all those cases allow you to use the same key across all cases, but it'll no doubt be asked and answered on some googl-able forum.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

N is for Nipples posted:

I'm terminally incompetent and underconfident so I'll probably have a lot of dumb questions like these for a while. I want to get to the air filter to blast it out. After that, I can't wait to figure out how to oil change. Oh, and chain lube!

There should be a latch on both sides of the seat near the back, should be right behind the upper shock mounts. They look sort of like the latch on the hood of a car. Pull both latches back, that should release the back end of the seat. Then pull back and up on the seat, there is a lip on the front that slides in to lock the front of the seat down.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

N is for Nipples posted:

The chain is the easiest part - I just did this last weekend and it doesn't take much. Get yourself a Grunge Brush and some kerosene, or alternately, some Simple Green Motosports Degreaser (I am super pleased with how well it works) and some good quality chain lube. It's practically therapeutic.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
When you get "bad gas" and it fouls up your carb and you have to take it apart and clean the jets etc, what happens in that same situation for a FI bike? Do you just clean the injectors? Is that any easier/harder? Do FI bikes deal with bad gas better? What exactly is "bad" about bad gas? In places like Peru, for example.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Depends what you mean by bad. If it's bad as in old gas which is breaking down and turning into jello as ethanol gas does, FI pumps usually just chew through it without issues. I think injectors can get clogged by really old non-ethanol gas but I've hardly ever seen it. If there's some kind of debris, it could do different things. Could damage the pump, or get pushed right through the pump and caught in the filter and clog the filter and cause low fuel pressure at the injectors. If it gets past the filter it can clog the injectors, I've only seen that once. If there's something in the gas that isn't gas, like water, you just gotta get the non-gas out of there because water won't combust obviously.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
Some fucker dropped my bike during the night. There's no scratch so I believe he sat on it and layed it gently on its side.

The bike was laying on it's left side and won't start. I get the starter going but that's about it. The stand kick switch is fine, and I'm late for work. It's a dr650.
What should I check? :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Grimarest posted:

Some fucker dropped my bike during the night. There's no scratch so I believe he sat on it and layed it gently on its side.

The bike was laying on it's left side and won't start. I get the starter going but that's about it. The stand kick switch is fine, and I'm late for work. It's a dr650.

It's probably flooded, just let it stand upright for a minute. Maybe pull the spark plug and crank it over one time. I have no idea if the DR650 has a tilt sensor.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
I let it sit upright for about 30 mins. No luck and left for work by bus. I'll try again when I get back. Thanks!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Grimarest posted:

Check that he didn't gently caress with the ignition. Also, that the killswitch is in the run position...sorry if that sounds like stupid advice, but it's easy to miss.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
Well I found a lot of fuel in my airbox, my carburetor flooded and there's probably gas in the oil.
Ignition is fine I got sparks from both plugs.

I suspect it's the same fucker who moved my bike earlier last week to park his van. Since then I bought a disk lock and he probably panicked when he couldn't move it and dropped it.

Grimarest fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 19, 2015

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Update on my valve problems from several pages ago:

I found a mechanic to come and look at my bike and help me figure out what's wrong and how to fix it etc. We disassembled the engine top end and found that indeed one of the rocker arms had a damaged 'ear' on the underside.

The mechanic said that that the cam shaft and other rocker arms seem fine, but he said we should polish the cam shafts anyway to be sure. I'll have to order a replacement rocker arm, and then I can get the same guy to come out and direct me as I try to find the bit of material that broke off the rocker arm in the engine and reassemble everything.

I think next time I mess around in the engine I'll get this same guy to come and keep me from breaking things. Cost was very reasonable, and he had a million entertaining old man stories about teaching new mechanics in a Marine motor pool and stuff.

Thanks for all the assistance everybody :)

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
That is super cool. I need that! I want to learn all this stuff but I don't want to gently caress up my daily rider/only bike.

Maybe next year I'll get a new daily and keep the Ninjer for a work-on bike.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What are some comfier-than-stock 125mm grips? I used to use ourys, but it turns out they're too long for the SV (127mm vs the 125 I need).

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
I have a sv problem as well! I'm trying to change my brake pads and the front went fine but I can't get anywhere on the rear since the brake pad pin is stuck. No amount of penetrating oil seems to help and I'm worried I'm going to strip the screw completely and not have a way to get it out. I'm not sure what else to try.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

What are some comfier-than-stock 125mm grips? I used to use ourys, but it turns out they're too long for the SV (127mm vs the 125 I need).

Just cut the last 2mm off. Might not even need to do that, 2mm is like nothing at all.

brotastrophe posted:

I have a sv problem as well! I'm trying to change my brake pads and the front went fine but I can't get anywhere on the rear since the brake pad pin is stuck. No amount of penetrating oil seems to help and I'm worried I'm going to strip the screw completely and not have a way to get it out. I'm not sure what else to try.

Do you have a hand impact driver? Very useful in situations like this.

Worst case you order another rear caliper off ebay for 25 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Z3n posted:

Just cut the last 2mm off. Might not even need to do that, 2mm is like nothing at all.

Thought about it, seemed like a visually large amount though. Gets ride of the little notch that grips the far end of the throttle tube, too.