Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CVagts posted:

You mean the guy in the cage in the giant's lair? That's simple, just get him out of the cage without waking the giant.

That's the guy I mean, but he shows up with Hjalmar at Kaer Morhen and after the fight if you read his journal entry it says he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
So, question about Yenn vs Triss (I'm up to Bald Mountain)

Rejected Yen at the Last Wish quest, got Triss to stay in Velen by telling her to try again, and neither of them seem to be mentioning this up until now, other than Yen having a fit in Kaer Morhan over being dumped. Have I screwed up somewhere?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Silentgoldfish posted:

Rejected Yen at the Last Wish quest, got Triss to stay in Velen by telling her to try again, and neither of them seem to be mentioning this up until now, other than Yen having a fit in Kaer Morhan over being dumped. Have I screwed up somewhere?

I believe everything is in order.

Nosebleed
Jun 14, 2007

Silentgoldfish posted:

I finished the game yesterday and it was the same for me, so I don't think you screwed up anywhere. It's more that the Triss romance is just really underwhelming and rarely gets mentioned at all save for one or two scenes up until the game is over. Don't know if Yen is any better, but that was one of the (minor) aspects I found to be a bit disappointing about the game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Azazell0 posted:

Well how can you expect Ciri to become an empress if you don't tell her about the fact that the emperor wishes to meet her and pretty much enlisted you to find her. She won't find out that Emhyr wants her as his successor.

I found the timing of that to be pretty weird, though. The only chance you get to present her to Emhyr is when you're in the process of sneaking out of Kaer Morhen to confront giant mace dude on the bald mountain. That whole thing was presented as being pretty time-critical, since it's a long ride from Kaer Morhen and the guy would only be there for a single night, so I figured if I told Ciri we'd have to drop by Emhyr she'd just tell me to get hosed because that's too far out of the way. It would have made more sense for that option to have been available while you're loving around in Novigrad during the very last stretch of preparations, or possibly on the Nilfgaardian fleet in Skellige.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Silentgoldfish posted:

It's only natural that there would be less content for the inferior choice.
But seriously though, this game definitely has a problem with major decisions not having too much of an impact and a rushed last third.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

this has probably been asked before but, the millions of paper scraps and books and whatnot Geralt keeps collecting aren't necessary to keep after I read them, right? Like if I drop a note with a contract on it, the quest won't dissapear or anything as long as i've read it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Attitude Indicator posted:

this has probably been asked before but, the millions of paper scraps and books and whatnot Geralt keeps collecting aren't necessary to keep after I read them, right? Like if I drop a note with a contract on it, the quest won't dissapear or anything as long as i've read it?

Nope.
If it's moved from quest items to usable items, you can throw/sell it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Attitude Indicator posted:

No need to keep it unless you really really want to reread them. Just sell them to the nearest general merchant

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

great. thanks.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Man I really wish the ambient music tracks were included in the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw-ND8eT7I4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWbE5sgL8bc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-1xO-R_JpA

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The first thing I did was turn off the music. I do that for every videogame.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Turn off the music and go into some woods. The ambient sounds of the forest make me feel like i'm in a real forest.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Automatic Slim posted:

So about real bad ending with the Crone... If you get that one, do you appear at Kaer Morhen after the credits? Seems canonical that he lives after all three endings. I didn't get that ending so I'm curious.

After 150 hours, doing all side quests, discovering all the loving question marks (yep, even those rear end pointless ones in Skellige), RPing like a champ, that is the exact ending I got. I kept telling myself get the gently caress up geralt, you emotionless gently caress. Don't let it end like this! you are loving level 35! what the fuuuucccckkkkk! I do not know where I hosed up so badly to have it end like that. And, yes, you "wake up" back at Kaer Morhen, but the game states that events have been reset to a time before you leave for Skillege for the final battle you are free to run around and do side quests, but that Geralt's story is now irrevocably over, and you can't "redo" any story quests .

Planning another play through when all the DLC comes out and hoping for a New game +.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I think skipping the witcher equipment is the way to go for replays. It is just too good in comparison.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is there a way to quickly switch through signs in the Witcher 3?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Riso posted:

I think skipping the witcher equipment is the way to go for replays. It is just too good in comparison.

Honestly I don't think itemization is very good in this - I'd rather just have easy to get good armor and not think about switching.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

mousewheel

e: quote is not edit

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Hold L1 for the quick select menu? I dunno what the keyboard equivalent would be. what he said.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I believe just tapping L1 in combat instead of holding cycles to the next one on the list.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Re: Music, I was a tad disappointed that Priscilla's song from the Kingfisher wasn't on the game's soundtrack. It was actually rather pleasant to listen to.

At least until Elsa decided to start making trouble.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Someone should talk to Vivaldi about safety deposit boxes. I don't think he'd be a hard sell.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Riso posted:

on the other hand, most of the other armor you can find looks weirder than the griffin armor. Wolf armor is super sleek, I also like the Ursine for its badassery. I didn't find any other armor that compared, looks-wise.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Darth Ballz posted:

on the other hand, most of the other armor you can find looks weirder than the griffin armor. Wolf armor is super sleek, I also like the Ursine for its badassery. I didn't find any other armor that compared, looks-wise.

The starting armour. :colbert:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RatHat posted:

So I just started the Bald Mountain quest. Am I able to leave it and go gently caress around? I went up like 6 levels in the questline before it and want to go mastercraft my gear.

Does anyone know?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

RatHat posted:

Does anyone know?

You're not gonna gently caress anything up - the only real consequence I've found for peacing out in the middle of a quest is like, 30 minutes later you'll get teleported when there's a cutscene for some reason. (This happened to me with both lords of undvikk and king's gambit at different times.)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RatHat posted:

Does anyone know?

Have to finish it, I think, then you get your freedom back.

You can't teleport out, anyway. I suppose you could try and run to Novigrad on Roach, but I never tried it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

About to finish the game soon, I think, but I'm still missing at least one gwent card. I've gotten all the ones from special characters, I think, so what might I be missing?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

You get the Iorveth card from a quest with a silent druid in Skellige. Also check the merchant in distress who goes to... Claywich I think?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

evilmiera posted:

About to finish the game soon, I think, but I'm still missing at least one gwent card. I've gotten all the ones from special characters, I think, so what might I be missing?

I think the most commonly missed vendor is the guy in Claywich Village, since he won't be there until you free him from bandits and there's nothing else of interest in the village. Easy to overlook unless you're specifically trying to find him. He sells a Nilfgaard Black Archer, healer archer, and a Crinfrid Reavers so if you're missing any of those.

Are you still getting random cards from playing merchants? There are a fair few more vendors than random cards so you don't need to beat all the merchants in the game, just check that you're no longer getting new random cards from beating new merchants.

Otherwise double check innkeepers and the few merchants in central Velen who sell cards.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Aurain posted:

Have to finish it, I think, then you get your freedom back.

You can't teleport out, anyway. I suppose you could try and run to Novigrad on Roach, but I never tried it.

Yeah, I would just go ahead and finish it, then you're free to do whatever afterwards.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Maybe we can get something in the OP about finding Gwent cards?

-Play merchants, I'm going to ballpark you need to play all but ten or so?
-Buy from innkeepers, most innkeepers have a couple cards.
-Traders in central Velen towns of Midcopse, Lindenvale, Crow's Perch, Claywich Village (rescue him from nearby island first)
-Gwent quests
-The quest involving the silent druid on Ard Skellige, I think it's the only non-Gwent related quest that rewards a card

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You gotta do all the novigrad quests that are main-character related iirc.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You gotta do all the novigrad quests that are main-character related iirc.

Yeah you do have to advance the Novigrad main quest stuff to do the rare cards quest with Zoltan, but that's obviously Gwent-related, and you need to advance the main plot to play various characters for the Gwent quests. But I think the druid is the only odd man out where you don't have a "Gwent: play these dudes" quest pointing you there.

Edit: the Claywich vendor and silent druid quest are probably the two easiest to miss, the vendor is held captive in a pretty out of the way place and easy to overlook unless you're specifically looking for him. The druid doesn't play Gwent and I think is the only completely not-Gwent-related quest that rewards a card.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 20, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah you do have to advance the Novigrad main quest stuff to do the rare cards quest with Zoltan, but that's obviously Gwent-related, and you need to advance the main plot to play various characters for the Gwent quests. But I think the druid is the only odd man out where you don't have a "Gwent: play these dudes" quest pointing you there.

One of Triss's quests has a random series of gwent matches in it like that.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

I think the most commonly missed vendor is the guy in Claywich Village, since he won't be there until you free him from bandits and there's nothing else of interest in the village. Easy to overlook unless you're specifically trying to find him. He sells a Nilfgaard Black Archer, healer archer, and a Crinfrid Reavers so if you're missing any of those.

Are you still getting random cards from playing merchants? There are a fair few more vendors than random cards so you don't need to beat all the merchants in the game, just check that you're no longer getting new random cards from beating new merchants.

Otherwise double check innkeepers and the few merchants in central Velen who sell cards.

I've checked almost every innkeeper in the known world, I think. Still missing one, somehow. Even after checking the rescued merchants. Would be so much easier if I could just have a list in-game with an empty slot in it to check.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The quest Final Preparations is not the final umbrella quest, the one after it is.

It's a strange oversight, really.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

One of Triss's quests has a random series of gwent matches in it like that.

Oh yeah the ball at the Vegelbud place right? Good point. So would this cover the general locations for cards then:

-Play merchants, I'm going to ballpark you need to play all but ten or so?
-Buy from innkeepers, most innkeepers have a couple cards.
-Traders in central Velen towns of Midcopse, Lindenvale, Crow's Perch, Claywich Village (rescue him from nearby island first)
-Gwent quests
-The quest involving the silent druid on Ard Skellige, I think it's the only non-Gwent related quest that rewards a card
-You can play three guys at a ball in Novigrad, part of Triss questline

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I want an animated gif of the look of terror washing over Geralt's face when faced with the prospect he might have to wear a doublet to the masquerade.

It was amazing. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ahah! Found out I hadn't actually bought all the cards from Harviken's innkeeper, and he had a load of Monster cards to offload on me that completed my set. Except now I've not a single NPC to play Gwent against that I don't completely stomp :(