Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

unpacked robinhood posted:

You'll never be 8 and discover vidya games again guys

I'm almost 30 and can replay Doom II and it's still funner than pretty much any single player FPS.

Sometimes future things are just inferior and it has nothing to do with rose-tinted glasses/nostalgia/other bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

haveblue posted:

That spec-fic was supposed to tie into the studio's next game, Duality, which was never finished.

Anyone know what exactly happened with Double-Aught? I was really looking forward to Duality, way back when, and when it went *poof* it really seemed like it might as well have vanished off the face of the earth with barely any evidence that it even existed. No statements or comments from any developers at all. Most I heard was that the head guy just up and decided to become a teacher one day.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Probably turned out that being leased out by Bungie for a Mac game didn't pay the bills as well as they had hoped.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm almost 30 and can replay Doom II and it's still funner than pretty much any single player FPS.

Sometimes future things are just inferior and it has nothing to do with rose-tinted glasses/nostalgia/other bullshit.

I can say honestly that no game will surprise me as much as Doom did back in the days, mostly because I was 10 when it got released and because the modding community extends its life like no other with quality content via awesome maps or gameplay mods. Unreal didn't surprise me as much as Doom but is hands down my favourite FPS because somehow the way the world was displayed was amazing, along with non-combat nps and more stuff. Doom 3 wasn't what I wanted back in the days and I still rate it lower than Quake 4 (wich isn't great but serviceable) but somehow time is making me look it less of a Doom I/II sequel that has nothing to do with them, but more of an alternative Doom closer to an Alone in the Dark with doom stuff in it. That way I'm not as harsh as I was 11 years ago.

At this point, Doom 4 (I refuse to call it just DOOM), looks pretty decent to me considering today's FPS standards and the wider playerbase it'll reach compared to Doom. I feel that, 90% of said playerbase don't even know about Brutal Doom because they mostly played Doom I/II due to getting it on steam sales, BFG editions or Xbox Live/Playstation Store (hell, last summer while on vacation, I replayed both doom games on my 360 and No Rest for the Living and had a loving blast with a controller) while people more deep into the classic, that play often community-made content are aware of the existence of Brutal Doom, and that plays a big role on what to think about Doom 4.

Just my opinion, someone that played doom casually since 1993, loves mods, new maps and adding spice to the game sometimes. I think a lot, not all of course, of the players that throw poo poo to Doom 4 is because they hate Brutal Doom because it's obvious and quite official that they took stuff from it.

I love vanilla gameplay (note bold letters). I liked brutal doom (earlier versions that were mere cosmetic releases and little tweaking), I love to bits Samsara, Reelism, Demonsteele, Project MSX and sometimes like to throw Russian Overkill and have a laugh.

I understand that purists will not like Doom 4 even while they're throwing a built-in level editor, arena multiplayer and releasing a moddable game out of the box wich is quite hard to see nowadays but hell, I'm gonna buy it. I'm gonna buy a psychal copy to place on my shelf next to the Doom trilogy (that awesome win95 CD release :q:), Doom 3 and its expansion pack, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2004 because hell, why not. And after all that, I'll keep playing the good old Doom.

Also, I'm gonna get some more wang because for once, a reboot (SW 2013) was superior to the classic and this new Wang looks even better. gently caress it, those demon bastards are gonna get wang for cutting in half my ride.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Speaking earlier of Marathon though, Aleph One updated to 1.2.

It has a very marginally more convenient saving system, as well as an online leaderboard for multiplayer, in case you want to compete against the other four people that still play Marathon online.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

It has a very marginally more convenient saving system, as well as an online leaderboard for multiplayer, in case you want to compete against the other four people that still play Marathon online.
I like how "online leaderboards for a game mode only people still using System 7 play" came before "ESC menu behavior that doesn't lower property values".

Yes, yes, I know, they'd probably have to rewrite the entire game engine to do it because 90s cowboy coding, but dammit man!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's time to come to terms with the fact that Aleph One will never have proper escape menu behavior, nor will it ever exceed 30 FPS or smooth mousing. :(

But now when you hit a pattern buffer, the game automatically generates a new save with a snapshot of the level when you load a save from the menu!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Someone break into that one hosed up extra-haunted mausoleum where they put all the really dead stuff and leak the Marathon XBLA code. It might cause everyone to uncontrollably projectile vomit forever from the crazy FOV, but at least you can pause in it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You can pause in Aleph One with Alt-P.

You can't do anything except unpause, but you don't need to use escape to pause.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Guillermus posted:

I understand that purists will not like Doom 4 even while they're throwing a built-in level editor, arena multiplayer and releasing a moddable game out of the box wich is quite hard to see nowadays but hell, I'm gonna buy it.

Fair enough. Mod support and map making is gud + cul and will lead to great things hopefully

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Doom 4 looks hella boring (:haw:) but SnapMap could still be fun and good.

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

Humans Among Us posted:

Fair enough. Mod support and map making is gud + cul and will lead to great things hopefully
The very second thing the community is gonna make is Brutal Doom 4. :v:

The first is, of course, a remake of Doom 1's E1.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Bread Pudding posted:

The very second thing the community is gonna make is Brutal Doom 4. :v:

The first is, of course, a remake of Doom 1's E1.

I support this and if Demonsteele also gets made for it ill buy the game :madmax:
tho i also really love brutal dooms

E;

I saw something about Strife in bd v20 but when i select the strife1.wad in the latest Gzdoom it throws me this brutal error:

Anyone know whats up ?

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 20, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RyokoTK posted:

But now when you hit a pattern buffer, the game automatically generates a new save with a snapshot of the level when you load a save from the menu!

Cool!

Now when can I expect to be able to tweak the mouse sensitivity to get it just right without having to quit and restart the loving thing every time I want to change the value?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Humans Among Us posted:

Anyone know whats up ?

That's not the latest GZdoom, go get the actual latest SVN build.

This is also your monthly reminder to update your GZDoom if you play singleplayer gameplay mods.

edit: Also it doesn't look like it supports Strife

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 20, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why can't I play brutal chex quest yet

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

You'll never be 8 and discover vidya games again guys

Bah, I was 21 when I decided to give Doom a go for the first time last year, and it was astonishing how well it plays compared to almost ever shooter today, its just so fun. Projectiles and speed buries hitscan and cover any of day of the week even with 20 year old graphics.

Related, I bought Quake for the first time in this summer's steam sale and I've got a really annoying mouse-look problem. I've been using GLQuake on my computer since it works better, but I can't enable full mouse-look, I can only move left to right with no up or down motion with the mouse. I tried messing around with the console, but when I put in +mouselook I get a baffling result, that changes it so that I can only move the view up and down with the mouse, not side to side anymore, basically I can have one or the other but not both. I've been able to play a bit but I keep on running into situations where an enemy is far above me and the autoaim won't target them very well, if I had full mouselook this wouldn't be a problem.

any advice?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

That's not the latest GZdoom, go get the actual latest SVN build.

This is also your monthly reminder to update your GZDoom if you play singleplayer gameplay mods.

edit: Also it doesn't look like it supports Strife

Ahhh thank you.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

khwarezm posted:

Related, I bought Quake for the first time in this summer's steam sale and I've got a really annoying mouse-look problem. I've been using GLQuake on my computer since it works better, but I can't enable full mouse-look, I can only move left to right with no up or down motion with the mouse. I tried messing around with the console, but when I put in +mouselook I get a baffling result, that changes it so that I can only move the view up and down with the mouse, not side to side anymore, basically I can have one or the other but not both. I've been able to play a bit but I keep on running into situations where an enemy is far above me and the autoaim won't target them very well, if I had full mouselook this wouldn't be a problem.

any advice?

Have you tried a source port? Either Quakespasm or Darkplaces is generally suggested.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For context at age almost 30 I tried vanilla doom for the first time ever on sunlust last week and I'm having a blast too

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
GLQuake is loving ancient and should only be kept as a curiosity. Quakespasm is a heavily cleaned-up GLQuake that has all of the conveninces of a modern game (widescreen support, no BS to active mouselook) and is the standard source port for mappers.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
GLQuake is only good if you're playing on actual 3dfx cards which at this point is a novelty.

GLQuake in 1024x768 on SLI Voodoo2 :pcgaming:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

catlord posted:

Have you tried a source port? Either Quakespasm or Darkplaces is generally suggested.

Quakespasm works much better thanks :)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

For context at age almost 30 I tried vanilla doom for the first time ever on sunlust last week and I'm having a blast too

Talk about jumping in to the deep end of the pool.

e: I also first played Doom to any real degree in my late 20s, though I had played a ton of Heretic as a kid.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 21, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Doom got me through my deployment in Croatia. I have a lot of love for good ol' Doom, but I never, ever want to play that game on the original engine ever again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jordan7hm posted:

Talk about jumping in to the deep end of the pool.

yeah I freaking love them but starting Doom on a Ribbiks wad is, uh, ambitious

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A.o.D. posted:

Doom got me through my deployment in Croatia. I have a lot of love for good ol' Doom, but I never, ever want to play that game on the original engine ever again.

Yeah, I'm no purist, I need my mouselook, and I don't care if the original campaign doesn't need it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also this is a few pages old, so sorry, but the discussions about speed and color are really just way too superficial. If Doom was brown it would be 99.9% as good, and I've played shittier games that moved faster than Doom. There are lovely fast games, and lovely colorful games, and lovely games with shotguns and demons.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If Doom was brown you say?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

A.o.D. posted:

At least use Chocolate, which crashes carefully. (Which reminds me, I should really get around to implementing that patch for better error messages... it's already not quitting to a dos prompt, putting in error messages readable to people not well-versed in the engine internals is no less pure.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I'm surprised you don't get visplane overflows. Also Boom features like translucent textures and generic line effects will not work in vanilla, making some maps completely impossible to play through.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm surprised you don't get visplane overflows. Also Boom features like translucent textures and generic line effects will not work in vanilla, making some maps completely impossible to play through.

I guess vanilla doesn't mean what I think it means. I just use gzdoom with no gameplay mods.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I guess vanilla doesn't mean what I think it means. I just use gzdoom with no gameplay mods.
Yeah, these days "vanilla" means "I'm using the original doom.exe instead of any fancy sourceports (or at the very least using Chocolate Doom)".

GZDoom's not really a bad way to play Doom, though. Might want to toggle the behavior for enemies when you're partially invisible (they're supposed to still see you but have worse aim, not completely ignore you outright), but otherwise...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Infinite actor height is important because it makes cacodemons dangerous.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Doom with its original gameplay quirks is about as vanilla as you'd expect to play these days. I use Glboom for map packs which are designed for the original gameplay, Alien Vendetta etc. I wouldn't expect anyone to play some poo poo like Chocolate Doom, higher resolution and better sound fidelity are something I take for granted now.

I did some Glboom speed runs a while back and enjoy stuff like pistol start / no mouse look runs of things like Speed of Doom. I also enjoy running Brutal Doom through the original Wad for a blast after work too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Source port talk is kind of dumb but why not. My port of choice is prboom+. I like the ease of recording and playing demos with consistency, and the minor quality of life features. I can't stand how Doom looks in the GL ports. I use gzdoom in software mode unless the wad demands it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Some (especially older) wads don't work properly with a modern source port. I remember having some issues with Cyberdreams on GZDoom, such as cyberdemons not staying in place when they should.

Jordan7hm posted:

Source port talk is kind of dumb but why not. My port of choice is prboom+. I like the ease of recording and playing demos with consistency, and the minor quality of life features. I can't stand how Doom looks in the GL ports. I use gzdoom in software mode unless the wad demands it.

I always disable texture filtering and set the lighting mode to 'Doom'. Looks pretty nice.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Some (especially older) wads don't work properly with a modern source port. I remember having some issues with Cyberdreams on GZDoom, such as cyberdemons not staying in place when they should.

I always disable texture filtering and set the lighting mode to 'Doom'. Looks pretty nice.

When you run into compatibility issues with modern ports thats when you break out Chocolate Doom.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Cyberdreams definitely seems like the kind of wad that depends on vanilla behavior.

Crispy Doom is a good limit removing option if for some reasons you don't want to use prboom+ but you want better resolution and some small qol features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Segmentation Fault posted:

When you run into compatibility issues with modern ports thats when you break out Chocolate Doom.
Though I have a suspicion that that one could be fixed by turning on infinitely tall actors.