Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
God I had forgotten how hard Felicia makes the boss fight. Demon of song just starts spinning like crazy with him around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks for the Titanite advice guys. So once items start asking for Twinkling... I should start getting choosy.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Even with regular titanite you should be somewhat choosy. You don't get (to my knowledge) an infinite source of chunks before practically beating the game.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've beaten the game a couple of times and thought it was ok. Should I get scholar of the first sin while it's on sale?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Smol posted:

Even with regular titanite you should be somewhat choosy. You don't get (to my knowledge) an infinite source of chunks before practically beating the game.

My first runthrough I joined the bellbros and just wore the ring everywhere, and I had more chunks than any other upgrade material.

But if you want to do that and you're as bad/stingy with effigies as me (so you're always running around hollow), you'll probably want at least one healing spell so you don't have to go into bellbro fights at 1/2 or 3/4ths health.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
To be clear, I don't want to upgrade everything. Just not worry about +1ing and +2ing a handful of my more used weapons. (Which will undoubtedly at some point be replaced by more amazing weapons.)

Right now, aside from reach distance, all I use is Craftsman's Hammer +2 despite not finding it that "interesting" a weapon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

The more I think about Doors of Pharos' design, the more I'm convinced that the original plan for the Rat Covenant was that the host can't directly intervene. It just doesn't make any sense otherwise, the area is so heavily stacked in the host's favour that the trespasser has almost no chance to win under the current conditions.

It's actually super easy to win as a summon. Just run past all the poo poo, if you get even just a few seconds head on the host you can easily make it through the fog gate at the end.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Genocyber posted:

It's actually super easy to win as a summon. Just run past all the poo poo, if you get even just a few seconds head on the host you can easily make it through the fog gate at the end.

Not if the host is above you casting spells as you run. The Grave of Saints is far more fair.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Especially if the host takes advantage of the water everywhere and attunes something like Heavenly Thunder. I think that might actually be impossible to dodge when all the lightning bolts get AOE from hitting the water.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Finally sinking my teeth in to the game after picking it up on the summer sale. I actually pre-ordered it, I'll tell this story again in case anyone is like "Oh hey, I think I'll pre order direct from Namco!"

When the game showed up via UPS, they were like you owe ~$90, I'm like okay no. The invoice they had showed the collectors edition and the bundled t shirt as different items, and had the full price of the CE for each line, so instead of ~$100 it was ~$200 (:canada: btw). They couldn't do anything without an updated invoice from Namco, their customer service doesn't exist, after a while I got fed up and sent it back for a refund. When it got there they reported it was damaged, the package never came into my possession first or last, so if it was damaged it was UPS' fault.
tl;dr It never got resolved, I never got the game and never got my money back. A grown loving man I should know better than to gently caress with physical copies and CE garbage that will go in a closet forever.

I notice that on death now you don't just go down to 60% or whatever it was health, what is it, 5 or 10% increments? I'm kinda stuck atm as I'm at the Pursuer boss in one direction and the Tower of Fire is a bit much for me this early on.

I found a great tool to make my PS3 controller work and it includes 360 controller emulation, this video is for people with no knowledge but the link for the tool is in the description.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Genocyber posted:

The problem is that there's only one way to reach the top. If the host defends the ladder, there's not much you can do.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Samuel Clemens posted:

The problem is that there's only one way to reach the top. If the host defends the ladder, there's not much you can do.

Well there are two ways in the Grave, if the host is dumb enough to pay lockstones for the second one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The 5 or so tall humanoid attackers between the bridge bonfire and the suspension bridge in Huntsman's Copse annoy the poo poo out of me every time I die.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Feenix posted:

The 5 or so tall humanoid attackers between the bridge bonfire and the suspension bridge in Huntsman's Copse annoy the poo poo out of me every time I die.

Isn't it faster from the Undead lockaway bonfire?

Also don't worry they will go extinct eventually. Just uh don't go there in NG+

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Azran posted:

Isn't it faster from the Undead lockaway bonfire?

Also don't worry they will go extinct eventually. Just uh don't go there in NG+

Whether you come up from Lockaway (unless there is a dropdown I missed??) It feels about the same from Lockaway or Bridge. But it doesn't matter because Hurrah I did it! and Horse Tongue but Hole.:)

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I just grabbed scholar of the first sin; did they ever unfuck faith or is my dex faith build in for a rough ride

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I an upset about what I just had to fight to get to something that wasn't the ring of binding

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ruggington posted:

I just grabbed scholar of the first sin; did they ever unfuck faith or is my dex faith build in for a rough ride

Nope. Enjoy your three casts of lightning spear that do less damage than before.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Last day of the Steam sale so if you're looking to upgrade to SotFS, do it now

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Faith melee is still alright, but faith blasters are well and truly hosed. Crown of the Old Iron King can make sunlight spear usable enough as a "gently caress this bullshit" tool though.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Last day of the Steam sale so if you're looking to upgrade to SotFS, do it now

What the hell is up with the pricing, though?

SotFS is -50% while the upgrade is -20%, which actually makes it slightly more expensive if you own the base game.

I'd been waiting for a sale, but this seems really dumb.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You get an additional 33% off that stacks with the 20% upgrade sale discount if you own the DLC of the original DS2. Might be you need the season pass; not sure.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Ruggington posted:

I an upset about what I just had to fight to get to something that wasn't the ring of binding

That was one of my favorite parts of SotFS so far.

Ruggington posted:

Dex faith is still really good even without lightning spears. Just use actual spears instead. The Heide Spear and the Dragonslayer Spear are top notch weapons. DSS' 2handed R2 does crazy damage at melee range, especially for a fast weapon with long reach. I remember it dropping Alonne Captains and Ironclads in Iron Keep with one hit. An infused and buffed Heide spear also hits like a truck. If you do NG+, the bow of want is a thing of beauty. Low stamina cost, quick firing speed and major damage. Basically you play like a normal dex character with lower health and stamina, but in return you can occasionally hit things really hard through sunlight blade, sacred oath or DSS R2s, and you get a bunch of pretty situational healing and support magic. Just forget about attack magic. Heavenly Thunder, at least, is still really good, but is also quite hard to use.

The only spell casting build I don't like is sorcery. Most sorceries do poo poo damage and you don't get any of the really cool int weapons (blue flame, watcher greatsword) until the very end of the game.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So what SL should I be at for DLC, ideally? I'm 149 right now and the Ashen folk of Brume are just fuckin wrecking me. I get mobbed so quickly and cant stand up to a flurry of hits. I still have a Soul Vessel, thankfully, if I need to redo poo poo.

I went STR for my NG playthrough, and I want to change it up for my next go. What are some decent goon-approved builds that arent STR-based? The DaS2 wiki is a mishmash of unintelligible poo poo

Edit: Christ alive I can upgrade my armor. Im stupid as gently caress

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 21, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

In SotFS (if there is any difference in the first place), which is better? The Rapier or the Estoc? I'm planning a dex build and I'd assume the Rapier but I'd like to be sure before I waste souls. I forgot how lame soul memory was.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Manatee Cannon posted:

In SotFS (if there is any difference in the first place), which is better? The Rapier or the Estoc? I'm planning a dex build and I'd assume the Rapier but I'd like to be sure before I waste souls. I forgot how lame soul memory was.

Rapier if you're going DEX, the Estoc is actually a STR weapon, it just has a DEX-like moveset.

Estoc moveset is imo better though. Unless you really want to catch somebody off guard in PvP by parrying them with your mainhand weapon.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

TheHoosier posted:

So what SL should I be at for DLC, ideally? I'm 149 right now and the Ashen folk of Brume are just fuckin wrecking me. I get mobbed so quickly and cant stand up to a flurry of hits. I still have a Soul Vessel, thankfully, if I need to redo poo poo.

I went STR for my NG playthrough, and I want to change it up for my next go. What are some decent goon-approved builds that arent STR-based? The DaS2 wiki is a mishmash of unintelligible poo poo

Edit: Christ alive I can upgrade my armor. Im stupid as gently caress

149 is definitely high enough for Brume Tower. Ashen Warriors are really intimidating at first because of their damage and reach, but they go down quickly enough to a concentrated attack. Just keep trying and you'll get better. Bring a ranged weapon and snipe anything you can. It makes that area much, much easier.

I think it would be more useful to think of what weapon load outs you would like to try next rather than what stat distributions. Off the top of my head, some fun setups that aren't pure strength would be: Thrusting swords, which are the ultimate single target killers and work especially well when paired with a curved sword off-hand to supplement the moveset; spears, which typically deal lowish damage, but are fast and are incredible for keeping enemies at a distance -- for my play style, spears are the best weapons in the game; and caesti (actually sort-of a strength weapon, but they're unique and also benefit a lot from dex), which have super-short range but deal good damage and hit instantly, letting you get the first strike on anything. Then there are the weapon types that are obviously the developers preciouses, straight swords, greatswords and katanas. All have versatile movesets, a nice variety of weapons to choose from, are fast and deal good damage. I've never really used katanas all that much, but straight swords and greatswords are a lot of fun.

You can also try a caster build, though those are a lot weaker now than they were when the game came out. I still really like dex/faith and dex/hex. Dex/faith I mentioned in a post above, dex/hex has some really cool weapon choices as well as probably the overall most useful attack spell. The Roaring Halberd hits ridiculously hard, the silverblack spear has the really good spear moveset and is pretty long, and the fume sword is the longest straightsword, has a great moveset and deals really good damage at high stats, but takes up a lot of stamina on swings.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

Rapier if you're going DEX, the Estoc is actually a STR weapon, it just has a DEX-like moveset.

Estoc moveset is imo better though. Unless you really want to catch somebody off guard in PvP by parrying them with your mainhand weapon.

Ah, that's what I figured. The Rapier is kind of a stopgap until I get other weapons later, but I wanted to try it out since it was a weapon type I never messed with much in the original. Thanks for the help.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ah, that's what I figured. The Rapier is kind of a stopgap until I get other weapons later, but I wanted to try it out since it was a weapon type I never messed with much in the original. Thanks for the help.

it's really good

also is anybody available in the next half hour to assist with Elana in SotFS, SM 1 million? gently caress everything to do with that fight, I am in no mood to bash my head against it 30 times yet again, particularly on an underlevelled character.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Definitely seems miles better than the Scimitar I started with, that's for sure. Though having zero crowd control is taking some getting used to.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Dex faith is still really good even without lightning spears. Just use actual spears instead. The Heide Spear and the Dragonslayer Spear are top notch weapons. DSS' 2handed R2 does crazy damage at melee range, especially for a fast weapon with long reach. I remember it dropping Alonne Captains and Ironclads in Iron Keep with one hit. An infused and buffed Heide spear also hits like a truck. If you do NG+, the bow of want is a thing of beauty. Low stamina cost, quick firing speed and major damage. Basically you play like a normal dex character with lower health and stamina, but in return you can occasionally hit things really hard through sunlight blade, sacred oath or DSS R2s, and you get a bunch of pretty situational healing and support magic. Just forget about attack magic. Heavenly Thunder, at least, is still really good, but is also quite hard to use.

The only spell casting build I don't like is sorcery. Most sorceries do poo poo damage and you don't get any of the really cool int weapons (blue flame, watcher greatsword) until the very end of the game.

I know I already mentioned it, but the Old Iron King's Crown will regenerate your spell uses fast enough to let you keep lightning weapon up nearly all the time. If you can find a way to fit it into your dressup, it's a really good hat.

Edit: I'd help with Elana if I could, but haven't even stepped into that DLC on this playthrough. Moot point, that character's soul memory is much higher than I remembered it being.

Tran fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 21, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

It doesn't need to be a stopgap unless you just want to use something else. It's one of the best weapons in the game for everything and the ultimate "mash butan!!!!" weapon.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Allright guys, let's do this. Gonna start this one after being a STR focused dude on DS1. What would be a newbie friendly class and how this agility thing works to get my good rolling? I have right now the same "scary" feeling as DS1 :kiddo:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
From what I remember the best class to pick if youre not going to use any magic or faith is knight class, if youre going to use faith or hex at all then use cleric and if youre going to use int but not faith then sorcerer. Agility is raised by adp the most. Att increases it a little. Depending on if you're going to use spells you can either fill it with 50 att or around 20 adp. Your aim is 105 agility.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not a fan of spellcasting so I guess Knight and raise adp and a bit of att?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Cleric is probably the easiest start because estus is quite limited at first and the mace is a beast of a weapon. Knight is my personal favorite because they're tough, the broadsword is a fast, strong weapon and the armor looks cool.

Agility determines, among other things, the number of iframes in your roll. You start with something like a DS1 fatroll and as you get more agility, you get closer to the fast roll or the ninja flip. Agility doesn't change the roll animation, just the number of iframes. Equip weight influences roll distance, which is nice, but not iframes, so as long as you're under 70%, you get all the iframes provided by your agility. Equip weight also influences movement speed and stamina regeneration, however, so low equip weight is still really good.

You can check the wiki for specific breakpoints in agility to determine a good stopping point. Raising adaptability increases agility for every one or two points and raising attunement increases it for ever four points (or so, it's more complicated than that). For a knight with no investment in attunement, 24 adaptability gets you 99 agility, which is a nice mid-game stopping point, since serious diminishing returns kick in once your adaptability+attunement get too high.

My usual priorities on making a new character: raise str/dex until I can use the weapon and shield I want; raise vitality if those are ridiculously heavy; raise endurance for stamina -- stamina is life; raise vigor for health; raise adaptability for roll iframes (you will need a lot later, but can get by without much early); raise str/dex more for damage. Adaptability has a higher priority if you aren't using a shield because you want to use a very heavy weapon two-handed and don't want to invest in a lot of strength or if you are dual-wielding.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Not a fan of spellcasting so I guess Knight and raise adp and a bit of att?

Att is useless if you're not going to use spells. It raises attunement slots and casting speed. Just go pure ADP if you're not going to even use pyromancy.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My aim is, str dude with sword and board with some mobility. In DS1 always kept the medium roll (or sometimes light one depending on the fight) while using the claymore or a halberd. Are halberds good on this game? I basically switched between the claymore, gargoyle halberd and a lighting halberd through 90% of DS1 depending on what I needed.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Guillermus posted:

Allright guys, let's do this. Gonna start this one after being a STR focused dude on DS1. What would be a newbie friendly class and how this agility thing works to get my good rolling? I have right now the same "scary" feeling as DS1 :kiddo:

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/agility

I'd aim for 99 or 105 agility and unless you're going all caster I'd get a few points in str/dex (depending on build) to wield your weapon of choice at the start and shield if necessary, then up your adaptability to get your desired iframes.

STR weapons normally do more damage (STR scaling gives way more damage than DEX) but I like DEX weapons move sets better, and since they attack faster you can have high DPS.

If you're going as a caster you'll kill people from distance so you won't need to get your agility high at the start, choose how much attunement you're going to use and get the rest with adaptability.

Start as a deprived and try different builds, you can respec later so try stuff as you like.

Spend a lot of souls at the merchants then talk to then, they usually have some item to give you after a few thousand souls spent

Good weapons you find at the start with low reqs: Estoc, Rapier, Long Sword, Mace, Blacksmith Hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Guillermus posted:

My aim is, str dude with sword and board with some mobility. In DS1 always kept the medium roll (or sometimes light one depending on the fight) while using the claymore or a halberd. Are halberds good on this game? I basically switched between the claymore, gargoyle halberd and a lighting halberd through 90% of DS1 depending on what I needed.

Halberds are still great but they were slightly nerfed in that they now have a sweet spot you have to hit with to do full damage. You only do half damage or so if you hit people who are too close to you.