Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

MadScientistWorking posted:

Was Jadepunk the one written by someone who was worst than Skarka or am I thinking of another RPG?

Danks spouted some racist Fox News talking points about Muslims. He later apologized in a sincere-seeming manner that avoided the usual nonpology traps, though it was much later and shortly before the Kickstarter for his latest game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

MadScientistWorking posted:

Was Jadepunk the one written by someone who was worst than Skarka or am I thinking of another RPG?

I don't know if anyone still in the industry outside of the 'Pundit' and 'Zach S' are worse than Skarka.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kwyndig posted:

I don't know if anyone still in the industry outside of the 'Pundit' and 'Zach S' are worse than Skarka.

This made me wonder what ol' Desborough's been up to.

Apparently denying the existence of systemic racism, in addition to his denial of sexism.

Good for him.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Kwyndig posted:

We've discussed people who were worst though from my personal experience Im not sure if the company involved was a Mafia front.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Your daily dose of awful (mildly :nws:) kickstarter campaign.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/4860381/cork-and-screw-card-game
If you just type FUN in all-caps enough times, everyone will believe you and buy your ugly as sin Cards Against Humanity knockoff.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

poo poo like this is one of the reasons I loving hate CAH.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I only wish they made grammatical sense. "A straight jacket and doing me good." :(

The General
Mar 4, 2007

quote:

We were traveling home from out last road trip of the summer. We had spent the weekend hanging out, playing games, drinking wine and just having FUN!
So we decided to rip off the terrible game we played.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cheap Shot posted:

You should keep saying you'll take the site down and post deadlines to do so for yourself. Update with a new deadline and an absurd or pathetic excuse every time.
Yes do this if you care enough

Evil Mastermind posted:

poo poo like this is one of the reasons I loving hate CAH.
I blame the written word for this

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A kickstarter for a new edition of Blue Rose just launched. It's using the AGE system from Dragon Age and Titansgrave, which admitted I don't know anything about.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
The KS for Tiny Epic Kingdom's expansion has launched...and is already funded. Also includes a second edition of TEK. Haven't played it myself.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coe/tiny-epic-kingdoms-heroes-call-and-tek-2nd-edition

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ChiTownEddie posted:

The KS for Tiny Epic Kingdom's expansion has launched...and is already funded. Also includes a second edition of TEK. Haven't played it myself.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coe/tiny-epic-kingdoms-heroes-call-and-tek-2nd-edition

It's a trash game. The only good thing about it is that it has a small footprint, but that doesn't excuse the really dull game. It is a 4x game where exploring, expanding, exploiting and exterminating are all loving boring and mostly unrewarding. It's been a long enough while that I can't actually articulate what it was that bugged me about the game so much (I think the fact that there was no real competition for spaces/resources and that combat itself didn't have a benefit), but there is really nothing here except tedium.

The game was also designed by the same guy who designed Harbour. I just don't think the guy really gets how games work or what make them good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

A kickstarter for a new edition of Blue Rose just launched. It's using the AGE system from Dragon Age and Titansgrave, which admitted I don't know anything about.

Is there anyone at all who's played the Dragon Age RPG and can say anything about the AGE system? I'm curious.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Is there anyone at all who's played the Dragon Age RPG and can say anything about the AGE system? I'm curious.

I've played it; it's pretty fun. The system is simple enough. There's a decent amount of spells but it doesn't feel overwhelming like with Pathfinder and the melee classes aren't incredibly overshadowed by the mages. I didn't get to the advanced classes but overall it felt fine. There's not a lot of customization however and you are pretty type cast combat wise in whatever role you choose at the beginning. The three dice and stunts system is quick but lets you occasionally do cool things that you can't plan on which makes combat more exciting than just auto attacking.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm basing this off of the Dragon Age RPG. It's a 3d6 based system (not d20 as I've heard repeated a couple of times):

* You roll 3d6 in order for your 8 ability scores, with one swap, but it's not as bad as D&D since the average is much lower: 6-8 is a 0 modifier and you get a +1 modifier as soon as 9-11, and you can increase an ability score with every level-up

* Basic task resolution is roll 3d6 + ability modifier + 2 if you have a skill for it, trying to hit or beat a Target Number. An "Easy" task has a target number of 9, an Average needs 11, Challenging needs 13, Hard needs 15 and so on, up to an Impossible task of 21.

* Basic combat resolution is the same: roll 3d6 + ability modifier + combat skill to hit or beat the target's Defense.

* Spellcasting is based on Spell Points and rolling 3d6 + Magic + Magic skill against a spell's target number. Higher-level spells cost more Points and have a higher target number. That said, the spell selection is not at all like D&D-Magic-Does-Everything, and a more CRPG-ish mix of direct damage, ally buffs, enemy debuffs, and healing, and there's only 4 pages of spells.

* One gimmick of the system is Stunts and a Dragon Die: when you roll a 3d6 in combat, one of those dice must be of a different color, which is a Dragon Die. If any two of the dice in the 3d6 roll are the same (doubles), then you get to perform a Stunt or Stunts.

* A Stunt is defined by the game. Rapid Reload means you get to instant reload your ranged weapon and costs 1 Stunt Point. Disarm means you knock away the enemy's weapon up to 1d6+STR yards away and costs 2 Stunt Points. Seize the Initiative moves you to the top of the Initiative Order and costs 4 Stunt Points. As classes gain in levels, they gain access to new Stunts and other Stunts become cheaper, etc.

* The Dragon Dice then determines how many Stunt Points you've earned for that one action, so if your first die is a 3, your second die is a 6 and your third die (which is a Dragon Die) is a 6, then you can do 6 Stunt Points worth of Stunts. Knock the enemy prone, inflict an extra 1d6 damage and pierce the enemy's armor on top of your normal attack, in a single action.

* Since you do roll 3d6 to cast spells, the Stunt+Dragon Dice system also applies to spellcasting: you can increase the potency of the spell, or reduce its mana cost, or cast it so fast that you get another cast in, etc.

I've never run it, but it reads very well from a design perspective.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Evil Mastermind posted:

The original has been on my list of things to check out for a while. I put it off because I am just so loving done with d20. So I'm likely to back this.

I like their words about diversity and representation. Is there anybody familiar with the original version who can confirm that it really was as progressive as they suggest? (And from looking at the art, I have to wonder if it extends to racial diversity...)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The original was pretty fantastic for the time, but the folks working on the remake have already admitted that it could and should be better, given that it's almost ten years old now. Like one of the first pieces of in-game fiction in the first game was a mother praying for her son's happiness with his new husband, which was got a whole lot of people mad because it was 'shoving it in their face' so they were doing something right.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's hilarious and depressing that there are people who think that simply acknowledging there are non-straight non-white people in existence is "shoving a political agenda in their faces".

WereJace
May 16, 2006

Beast Wars

Alhireth-Hotep posted:

The original has been on my list of things to check out for a while. I put it off because I am just so loving done with d20. So I'm likely to back this.

I like their words about diversity and representation. Is there anybody familiar with the original version who can confirm that it really was as progressive as they suggest? (And from looking at the art, I have to wonder if it extends to racial diversity...)

Blue Rose was a great start, since it made a point of including non-straight, non-white, non-cis people from the very beginning, including in the fiction snippets and in the example characters. There's room to be better, but it's a pretty good foundation of inclusiveness. That's what drew the players of my current game to the system, moreso than the actual mechanics. This new system sounds awesome because d20 is giving me far too many headaches.

I'm hoping they give more clarity about rhydan, and maybe take a second look at adding some nuance to Jarzon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm shocked Blue Rose is tearing through goals. I thought it was a super tiny niche thing.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

The gift that keeps on giving

Well you see, theres some construction out in front of my house, so I got irritable and didn't do any work for four years....

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I honestly wonder if it's even possible for Gareth to rebuild the bridges and/or his reputation at this point.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Missed release dates are temporary, sycophants are forever.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sycophants will only get him so far. Palladium can get away with that business model because he established that userbase over years and years, but GMS has pissed off other developers, other publishers, even at least one distributor.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Honestly, I'm not even sure its worth it to keep going. It will probably cost him more to finish things, he probably doesn't have any of the initial funds left, and completing it is just going to throw another on the top of the unloved and swiftly forgotten DTRPG sale bin. I almost think I'd respect him more if he walked away from a failed project instead of this bizarre "its only days away!!!!" string of blatant lies for year after year.

Even if he gets it out, even if its passable, no one is going to give a gently caress, and I doubt he's going to see any profit. And considering he already seems to be pretty unwell and incapable of dealing with it, its probably the best for his own wellbeing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sycophants will only get him so far. Palladium can get away with that business model because he established that userbase over years and years, but GMS has pissed off other developers, other publishers, even at least one distributor.

Palladium also has the advantage of releasing most of the books that they announce. Not all of them, of course. But most of them.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

InShaneee posted:

Missed release dates are temporary, sycophants are forever.

Websites chronicling your laughable failure that people link whenever you call yourself a "Professional RPG designer" can also be forever. They don't need 50K of people's money in advance.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

DigitalRaven posted:

Websites chronicling your laughable failure that people link whenever you call yourself a "Professional RPG designer" can also be forever. They don't need 50K of people's money in advance.

Assuming he doesn't just keep screwing dogs left and right, if he can make one or two releases after Far West GMS will be mostly forgiven because, come on. That was what, a year ago? More? Who even remembers that drama? It was just a bunch of goons harassing a sick man.

The flipside of most people not really giving a poo poo about all this dumb industry drama is that they don't care very much who their money goes to. As long as he doesn't go maximum Desborough, most people won't even notice that his game is a little racist, or that he's a lovely person with bizarre and petty opinions.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

Assuming he doesn't just keep screwing dogs left and right, if he can make one or two releases after Far West GMS will be mostly forgiven because, come on. That was what, a year ago? More? Who even remembers that drama? It was just a bunch of goons harassing a sick man.

The flipside of most people not really giving a poo poo about all this dumb industry drama is that they don't care very much who their money goes to. As long as he doesn't go maximum Desborough, most people won't even notice that his game is a little racist, or that he's a lovely person with bizarre and petty opinions.

Unless those releases are Bas-Lag and Buckaroo Banzai, he's hosed. They were supposed to be the next big things after Far West, and FW and ICONS Team-Up have demonstrated that he has no loving credibility beyond his little circle-jerk of sycophants.

When GMS shits the bed royally on four major projects, people stop taking him seriously. Lots of people who'd never heard of Far West had pre-ordered Buckaroo Banzai, and once they were informed as to FW it kinda soured them on ever seeing a return for their cash.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I have a less rosy outlook on the wider gaming market's sensibilities than you do. I'm sure goons down through the ages will keep LOL in their hearts for GMS, but if he can shove any handful of modestly attention-grabbing products out the door for a year or two, he will be mostly in the clear. Even when it comes to some people who got directly hosed on Banzai, Far West, Icons and Crobuzon.

I wonder what's the status on his Tianxia stuff.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plague of Hats posted:

I wonder what's the status on his Tianxia stuff.

It was part of a fiction anthology so I'm fairly sure no one gave a poo poo either way.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

It was part of a fiction anthology so I'm fairly sure no one gave a poo poo either way.

*sniff* I cared.

That's how I became an army of RPGnet badposters, after all.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm just saying, while Jack Norris may be kind of a dumbass and have terrible taste in friends, notice that at no point did he or the other guy writing Tianxia go "hey I know, we should invite our good pal GMS onboard to work on the corebook or supplementary material," they gave him a gig that's like the elfgame equivalent of being the water boy. "Yeah Gareth you can, uh, contribute to our fiction anthology! You'll really be helping us out there, buddy!"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I imagine you guys know this already, but the Blue Rose kickstarter is up.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/504269797/blue-rose-the-age-roleplaying-game-of-romantic-fan
It says that it uses the same engineering used in the Dragon Age RPG and Titansgrave. Is that a solid system? I am considering backing it if only because it's the sort of thing this industre would benefit from, but I'd like to know if their crunch is usable. I vaguely remember hearing that the Dragon Age RPG wasn't that great.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I gave a quick overview of the Dragon Age RPG's basic mechanics a little bit up the page.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

paradoxGentleman posted:

I imagine you guys know this already, but the Blue Rose kickstarter is up.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/504269797/blue-rose-the-age-roleplaying-game-of-romantic-fan
It says that it uses the same engineering used in the Dragon Age RPG and Titansgrave. Is that a solid system? I am considering backing it if only because it's the sort of thing this industre would benefit from, but I'd like to know if their crunch is usable. I vaguely remember hearing that the Dragon Age RPG wasn't that great.

Scroll on up.

My opinion of the Age system is less favorable, but that's because I think the implementation in the Dragon Age RPGs was mostly boring. I'll wait and see what they try to do with it in Blue Rose.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Plague of Hats posted:

The really weird thing is, judging by his Twitter, many of his opinions aren't that bizarre and petty; it's only when you get to elfgaming that he spouts nonsense.

Unlike upstanding citizen Fred Hicks who once blocked me on Twitter when I criticized his (now-deleted) tweet comparing some elfgaming drama (iirc the Thunder Plains bullshit from Monte Cook) to the situation in Ferguson, Missouri.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

inklesspen posted:

The really weird thing is, judging by his Twitter, many of his opinions aren't that bizarre and petty; it's only when you get to elfgaming that he spouts nonsense.

Unlike upstanding citizen Fred Hicks who once blocked me on Twitter when I criticized his (now-deleted) tweet comparing some elfgaming drama (iirc the Thunder Plains bullshit from Monte Cook) to the situation in Ferguson, Missouri.

It's not just elfgames—Skarka is very Comfortable White Male American Liberal with his opinions. He will slash-and-burn everything but core liberal talking points in order to poo poo all over someone who disagrees with him, or who simply makes fun of his bad business, no matter how hypocritical or baldly fallacious it is to do so. He made a pretty regular habit of bemoaning people assuming poo poo about him, then barging into G+ threads to do exactly that to other people.

I really hate the "they don't even play games"/Tumblr activist/fashionable liberal sneer, but Skarka goes to a lot of trouble appearing to be a fashionable liberal. He fills his feeds with really inspiring "thumbs up, transbuddies" pablum, showing lots of respect for minorities as fungible groups or break-out celebrities of those groups. He generates a lot of useless tweets talking directly to celebrities who certainly don't give a poo poo. Every time he directly interacts with less mainstream minorities who don't have the appeal and power to really make him the villain outside their own circle of friends, he will demonstrate that he gives zero shits about what's going on for them, or what they have to say.

Since you mentioned Hicks, albeit not favorably, this ties politics and elfgames together nicely when it comes to Skarka. Because whatever his faults, Hicks has some pretty good opinions and practices when it comes to the business-side of elfgames. For whatever reason Skarka has a bug up his rear end, so Hicks is obviously just being a fashionably magnanimous guy after making it (relatively) big. And honestly is paying freelancers more and promptly really that big a deal? Apparently Skarka, regular freelancer, thinks not.

Skarka's not just hilariously bad at Far West, he's actually pretty bad at having the Right Opinions, too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know I've said this a million times before, but with GMS the only valid moral outrage is his moral outrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Noted. (I'd only taken a brief look at his twitter.)

• Locked thread