Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Real choices... like in... Oblivion :confused:

Okay snark aside I consider the Blood Baron arc one of this game's strongest, if you're sleeping and mashing skip through this one there's not much hope for the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tony Montana posted:

I don't mind being Geralt, I'm just still waiting for some real choices to make. Perhaps they'll come yet, I'm only up to the Baron. Clicking through the cut scenes so far isn't what I think of when I think 'open world'.

I've only seen that much of the plot, which has been a completely safe snore-fest so far.. but I guess I've only seen the start and it's going to get AMAZING real soon!

edit: ooh here we go. I'm just saying I haven't found this amazing plot amazing at all so far, infact it makes no sense and is kinda juvenile. But we'll see..

The key is that you're saying what you think about the game as if that's the actual truth while also saying "but that's just my opinion". You can't have it both ways. I said that I THINK the Elder Scrolls games are poorly written but while I do think that, I also acknowledge that it may just be me thinking that because the people who do enjoy it must enjoy it for a reason.

I think you should be more open-minded about the game. As it is you're saying you've already written it off and so far you've posted here only to tell other people about just how hard you've been writing it off. It's one thing to say you don't like the game, it's another to say you don't like the game because it's bad, which implies that it's at fault for you not enjoying it.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

My favourite bug so far only happens in conversations, I often see NPCs walking in the background doing huge knee-kicks like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7LZiOHbEac. I think it must be to do with carrying boxes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Tony Montana posted:

No, it doesn't make sense and it's frustrating. As I said, it looks amazing and I've got a new rig so I'll keep going and perhaps it will reveal itself as the amazing flower of modern open RPG that some of the people here think it is.
There are single questlines in Witcher 3 like Family Matters that have deeper stories, more realistic characters and better dialogues than anything Bethesda has ever created so no, I don't agree. There's a level of storytelling and character interactions here and themes that Skyrim or Oblivion don't even know exists (which are also in comparison giant fetch quest simulators while you mention that as an argument against Witcher 3).

I get that you don't like the game but trying to find some objective measure that it's bad like saying that its writing is on the level of fanfiction or intellectually not engaging isn't true if you start comparing it to Dragon Age or Bethesda games. I mean yeah, I wouldn't compare the best video game writing to a book but in this medium Witcher 3 is pretty outstanding.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Prawned posted:

My favourite bug so far only happens in conversations, I often see NPCs walking in the background doing huge knee-kicks like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7LZiOHbEac. I think it must be to do with carrying boxes.

Looks like the box's hitbox is somehow at their feet so they constantly have to climb it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Mr. Happy pants Lambert got all pissy at me for electing not to kill the ex-slaver who killed his bitch friend who pussed out of a contract, and I immediately tried to play him at gwent but there was no option to. Can I get back into Nowhere Inn or has he hosed off?

muscles like this? posted:

Is there a specific vendor that sells the skill reset potion? I want to roll back some choices I made since in retrospect I don't use/like certain abilities.

Keira has one, but that was before I finished her quest line... I don't know if there's a chance to run into her again. I told her to gently caress off to Kaer Morgan and gimme Alexander's notes.

Ok, both of these are awesome and I should have realized some sperg would have made these sites. Thanks a bunch for both of 'em. I really dislike how icons for places in Novigrad just don't stay there like any of the others.

Palpek posted:

I'm loving this game but goddamn does it need a robust inventory ui revamp. Let us sort by price, weight, amount and name (even Witcher 2 had this). Divide the grid into rows of subcategories that you can hide. At this moment it really looks like they thought "one big gently caress-off grid worked for Diablo so it will work here" but Diablo didn't have a fraction of these item. poo poo, Skyrim had a better inventory system (and it was bad) and I'm sure it had fewer item types (especially crafting).

Also let us buy crafting components from the crafting window if the merchant has them. Add a little button next to the missing ones when the guy has them in store and bam, a lot of tedium in the game gone.

It also desperately needs even a loving tooltip that tells you how many of an item you loving have. It's a huge pain to look at a merchant's poo poo and be like "uhhhh do I have enough of these? *scrolls around awful UI to find it* Oh, ok, yea."

I've stopped buying poo poo unless I absolutely need it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A fetch quest is when you're told to get something, you go somewhere, fight some monsters, get the thing, go back and receive your reward aka Bethesda school of game design. Little variety to the formula, maybe some flavor books here and there but just quest after quest with barely more to do than this.

Witcher 3 still has people tell you to go see/research/find something but what this game does with these quests is what makes it different. On your journey to see/research/find things you'll (almost) always experience something that breaks the pattern: a new direction of the quest emerges and changes its goal/you discover a new neat custom quest when you get to the place/the quest has a lot of character and reveals something about the game world or even main character/you don't have to bring the thing back after all for 'reasons'/quest takes you to a completely new location in the middle of it etc. etc. The game utilizes tons of ideas here that allow it to break the usual script of go get the thing - fight some monsters - fight a boss - go back, which is the very reason for having a name for this kind of quest in the first place.

If you call every quest that starts with 'go to this other place to find something' a fetch quest then you might as well rename the RPG genre to Fetch Quest Game. In this genre people will send you off to adventures with goals at the end, it's the world of fantasy after all. Fetch quests are a lazy way to give you a goal while at the same time killing the adventure part - Witcher 3 does everything it can to keep that adventure part alive.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 22, 2015

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Tony Montana posted:

I don't mind being Geralt, I'm just still waiting for some real choices to make. Perhaps they'll come yet, I'm only up to the Baron. Clicking through the cut scenes so far isn't what I think of when I think 'open world'.

I've only seen that much of the plot, which has been a completely safe snore-fest so far.. but I guess I've only seen the start and it's going to get AMAZING real soon!

edit: ooh here we go. I'm just saying I haven't found this amazing plot amazing at all so far, infact it makes no sense and is kinda juvenile. But we'll see..

When I think of open world, I think of a game like this or Arkham. Yeah, you can go do the quests if you want, but you're aware that you can change the waypoints in the menu and make them for whatever quest you want right? Or you can outright ignore everything and just explore all the ?s you're getting from notice boards. I spent a ton of time just loving around the whole map for days before actually going to see the Baron. The suggested level poo poo is lol just do whatever you want and if you die too much come back later.

I get what you're trying to say with witcher senses but it's almost exactly like Batman's DETECTIVE MODE where the things you care about are highlighted.

But hey man, if you're not digging the game, that's fine too. :D

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

Well, Fallout 3 was good. I probably found Oblivion better than Skyrim, just because the main quest of Skyrim was a bit dumb despite all the dragon awesome stuff.. but Oblivion the final battle and turning the dragon into a massive stone statue was great.

It's just the 'screenplay' of Witcher 3 that doesn't really grab me. Ok I found my girl, oh she's being all weird and we are going off to meet some other guy? Probably for some fetch kinda quest. Yep sure, this guy wants me to find someone/thing. Ok.. lets go meet that Bloody Baron.. oh. He wants me to fetch too..

Elder Scrolls had me being an assassin for a secret guild of assassins, or a mage for the guild of mages with real magic (as in fireballs and blasts of ice, etc) and a ton of other fleshed out real options that were all my choice. I start as a useless peasant and by the end I'm a semi-god with my own house riding around finding caves (Morrowind actually did this better than even Oblivion) and generally doing what 'open world rpg' means to me.

In this, I'm a Witcher. I start as one and I'll guess I'll end as one. I do the scripted story missions and use my Witcher sense to uncover the 'piece of the puzzle' (there is no puzzle, you'll just highlight things to go up and press a button on a trigger the next cut scene).

I liked the VATS system in Fallout and turn based combat in general, so combat is more interesting and varied rather than doing the same thing again and again or variations of it. If I am doing the same thing repeatedly with turn based combat then at least I'm just telling the game to do it rather than building muscle memory or something.

I dunno, I'm just bored with it. It doesn't give me the thrill of exploration or endless possibility other games I've mentioned have in the past. I know Games and these kind of threads can turn into echo chambers with everyone saying the same thing (often how amazing the game is) but I wanted to add a differing opinion.

No, it doesn't make sense and it's frustrating. As I said, it looks amazing and I've got a new rig so I'll keep going and perhaps it will reveal itself as the amazing flower of modern open RPG that some of the people here think it is.

You have bad opinions.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Palpek posted:

If you call every quest that starts with 'go to this other place to find something' a fetch quest then you might as well rename the RPG genre to Fetch Quest Game. In this genre people will send you off to adventures with goals at the end, it's the world of fantasy after all. Fetch quests are a lazy way to give you a goal while at the same time killing the adventure part - Witcher 3 does everything it can to keep that adventure part alive.

I guess I can see how "find my wife and kid" could be considered a fetch quest, particularly if they've not finished that horrific sequence of quests. I felt bad for the Baron afterwards. It was worth getting him to tell his side of the story, really. It's also the reason why I killed the tree spirit. I didn't want him to hang himself, there was a chance that Anna could be saved and he seemed genuinely remorseful.

Also, FF11 forever ruined me, I consider so few things "fetch quests" after that loving shitheap.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

Well, Fallout 3 was good. I probably found Oblivion better than Skyrim, just because the main quest of Skyrim was a bit dumb despite all the dragon awesome stuff.. but Oblivion the final battle and turning the dragon into a massive stone statue was great.

It's just the 'screenplay' of Witcher 3 that doesn't really grab me. Ok I found my girl, oh she's being all weird and we are going off to meet some other guy? Probably for some fetch kinda quest. Yep sure, this guy wants me to find someone/thing. Ok.. lets go meet that Bloody Baron.. oh. He wants me to fetch too..

Elder Scrolls had me being an assassin for a secret guild of assassins, or a mage for the guild of mages with real magic (as in fireballs and blasts of ice, etc) and a ton of other fleshed out real options that were all my choice. I start as a useless peasant and by the end I'm a semi-god with my own house riding around finding caves (Morrowind actually did this better than even Oblivion) and generally doing what 'open world rpg' means to me.

In this, I'm a Witcher. I start as one and I'll guess I'll end as one. I do the scripted story missions and use my Witcher sense to uncover the 'piece of the puzzle' (there is no puzzle, you'll just highlight things to go up and press a button on a trigger the next cut scene).

I liked the VATS system in Fallout and turn based combat in general, so combat is more interesting and varied rather than doing the same thing again and again or variations of it. If I am doing the same thing repeatedly with turn based combat then at least I'm just telling the game to do it rather than building muscle memory or something.

I dunno, I'm just bored with it. It doesn't give me the thrill of exploration or endless possibility other games I've mentioned have in the past. I know Games and these kind of threads can turn into echo chambers with everyone saying the same thing (often how amazing the game is) but I wanted to add a differing opinion.

yeah you're wrong, + i'm a mentalist that thinks oblivion was better than skyrim

here's an idea; maybe you're unengaged with the story because you (presumably) haven't played any of the other games or read any of the books or at all invested in the world in any way? maybe if you actually want to be immersed in the third game of a series telling a linear, fairly connected story with characters that persist and develop over the three games you should do some research?

i fail to see how the quests in this game are siginificantly more 'fetch-questy' than elder scrolls, a series that has got to the point where most every quest culminates in sending you into a dungeon to fight monsters you've seen thousands of times before to Kill A Thing or Get A Macguffin - a quest formula so formulaic that they found a way to randomly generate infinite instances of it

i'd scoff at the notion that the guilds in elder scrolls games were 'real choices' - barring morrowind they can all pretty much be done with any character you choose no matter your level or raw proficiency. perhaps you mean that they're long optional questlines? you're right; this game doesn't really have anything like that, there are boatloads of optional quests but there aren't that many that form full fledged questlines. it's because of the game's heritage and design direction as more of a bioware style limited-scope RPG than skyrim-esque open world sandbox. the open world aspect muddles it a bit but you are a character moving through a story rather than a non-character acting as a cipher for the player that builds up soime semblance of meaning as you complete various optional questlines (every quest in elder scrolls more or less being optional with you being able to go anywhere and do anything from the start.) so yeah it's not an elder scrolls game although they are comparable in some aspects.

also i'd heavily contend that it's a ton better made than any elder scrolls game to date. i don't think that's even up for discussion. the writing isn't shakespeare but it's better than the dreck in most games and curb stomps skyrim just by virtue of not being so loving dull. this quote weirds me out btw:

quote:

why is telling the game to excecute an action where the chance of success is completely out of your hands, again and again, by pressing the same button and key combination, more engaging and less boring than having direct command of the character and getting better at the game through, yes, muscle memory? i think you've completely misunderstood the value of turn based stat-heavy combat, which is to abstract combat through your character's stats in order to make your character choices meaningful. it provides a lot more tactical depth and emphasis on your character (at least initially) but it's hardly the platform to use for high impact moment-to-moment white knuckle *insert buzzword here* combat.

tl;dr play the other games, invest in the world, realize skyrim is kind of garbage, that none of your choices will really mean anything, and that our deaths in the impending resource wars will likely be some grab bag of random, slow or violent

Tony Montana posted:

the main plot itself is fairly mundane on a macro level, similar to the elder scrolls games (though not nearly as poorly written or realized.) the best plot moments in the game come as a result of the micro-stories you encounter through parts of the main quest or in some sidequests, again a little like the elder scrolls games. again, you probably don't feel invested in the story or characters as much because you haven't invested in the world or these characters beyond this game. the game will try to explain things to you (and reading the ingame glossary might be a good shout) but it is a lot like jumping into the mass effect trilogy at 3 and complaining when not much beyond the critical setup to the game is explained to you.

you are within your rights to call the beginning of the game a 'safe snore-fest' - I can see why you'd think that and watching exposition that means nothing to you can be kind of dull, though I think it does a decent job of pacing itself and not blowing the chance for narrative tension or a raising of the stakes. if it's any consolation the baron questline is genuinely great and stands on its own perfectly well.

choice in games is overrated. the guilds in skyrim aren't really a 'choice' in terms of forking paths, you either do them or you don't, and if you don't they'll always be available to you. choice in bioware games often seems to exist just for replayability so you can See What Happens When You Shoot The Mans or Do Good On Suicide Mission. the game has sidequests (often with a moral choice that remains within Geralt's character) and it has story choices that change things, which aren't really telegraphed or designed to empower you. a centeral element of the games is that you aren't really at the center of the universe and your ability to enact meaningful change is limited at best. this sounds limiting but in practice the game has as many 'choices' as a bioware PRG, they're just thematically consistent as opposed to heavily selling things as WORLD CHANGING which end up giving you a different bit of dialogue with a single character. i know i'm harping on about this but it is kinda refreshing to be treated more like an adult rather than some peon who desperately needs the keys of 'this is MEANINGFUL' jangled in their face at all times.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 22, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Oh hey we're getting a Skellige armour set next, maybe it's time for me to find a carry weight mod.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Davoren posted:

Oh hey we're getting a Skellige armour set next, maybe it's time for me to find a carry weight mod.

Oh wow, that Skellige armor set looks good. Might replace my Ursine armor if it's any good.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Davoren posted:

more time listening to trolls talking and new heavy armor, im down to clown

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Does the game still override by config settings or can I stop having it checked as read only?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I would pay all the money for a troll DLC that just has every single line of dialogue acted out by trolls. Including Geralt's. The only twist is that every line that is already spoken by trolls in the game are now spoken by Michael Caine.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Davoren posted:

Wait, I can finally get armor for Roach? :swoon:

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
An awesome looking set of armor AND a new quest with talking trolls in it? Yes please.

Also, that guy who thinks Bethesda writes better quests and dialogue than CDPR is just so wrong it's not even funny.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Levantine posted:

Oh wow, that Skellige armor set looks good. Might replace my Ursine armor if it's any good.

yeah it looks like the upgraded ursine armour but without the fantasy gears-of war aesthetic. all armours should blind people when you go into a room. no exceptions.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Also, that guy who thinks Bethesda writes better quests and dialogue than CDPR is just so wrong it's not even funny.

i'll put my hand on heart and say that the guilds and some of the sidequests in oblivion were really nicely done pulpy fun-times that wasn't too wacky but stayed away from being po-faced. they were good videogame stories. tw3 has this as a baseline and also forays quite a bit into genuinely decent fantasy which I appreciate considering the sheer quantity of crap fantasy in videogames. being based on books helps i guess.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I just got this game on the Steam sale, but I'm having a weird issue- when it runs, the Steam screen is still visible at the top and bottom ie the "Store, Library, Community" tabs are at the top, and the "Add a game, View friends list" tabs on the bottom. Additionally, my task bar, which I have on the right, is on top of everything. I looked at the Video options but nothing seemed to apply. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT- sorry, it was just at the wrong resolution. My bad.

burnsep fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 22, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

Well, Fallout 3 was good.

Oh, okay, here's what you're missing: your opinions are terrible.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol that someone called the writing in this game bad then says fallout 3's story was better, that's some hilarious poo poo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The writing in this game is better than that of fallout, let alone fallout 2 or 3 or 4.

I'm not gonna comment on the elder scrolls comparison - I know a lot of people like those games and I did play morrowind for a long time, but I never really liked them and don't see myself ever playing one again.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I can tell you I played the poo poo out of Elder Scrolls 3-5 and Witcher 3 is a better-made game than all of them. Morrowind is a good game but it's from a different era; its combat and quest design aren't really even in the same league as modern RPGs.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm not gonna comment on the elder scrolls comparison - I know a lot of people like those games and I did play morrowind for a long time, but I never really liked them and don't see myself ever playing one again.

tbh, witcher 3 really follows morrowind's lead in fleshing out minor questlines with extra content. Morrowind used extra dialogue options that would give a full reason for why you are in cave #244 against yet another ash vampire, but that backstory helped make you feel more involved. Witcher 3 has plenty of dialogue as well as the written notices and witcher sense commentary plus the bestiary/character tabs.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Meta-Mollusk posted:

An awesome looking set of armor AND a new quest with talking trolls in it? Yes please.

I'd say he's all about set - pieces rather than writing. He wants dramatic changes and big a achievements. Which is an understandable approach, but completely against how this game works.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Generic Monk posted:

i'll put my hand on heart and say that the guilds and some of the sidequests in oblivion were really nicely done pulpy fun-times that wasn't too wacky but stayed away from being po-faced. they were good videogame stories.
I think that the Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion was one of the best things Bethesda has ever done story-wise and gameplay-wise.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Palpek posted:

I think that the Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion was one of the best things Bethesda has ever done story-wise and gameplay-wise.

Thieves guild in skyrim is just as good.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

muscles like this? posted:

Is there a specific vendor that sells the skill reset potion? I want to roll back some choices I made since in retrospect I don't use/like certain abilities.

Not sure if anyone else answered this, but there is for sure one in Northern Novigraad, right next to a barber. He also sells some unique statuettes that lead to a quest.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Palpek posted:

they were all pretty great, though DB is the standout example. theives guild had a super-cool twist and end reward, mages guild did a good wizard's journey and even the fighter's guild had the odd drug-fuelled rampage. they were all a ton of fun and i'll fight anyone who says otherwise

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Thieves guild in skyrim is just as good.

like most skyrim quests I felt it kind of ended like a pitiful wet fart which makes me sad

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

10 Beers posted:

Not sure if anyone else answered this, but there is for sure one in Northern Novigraad, right next to a barber. He also sells some unique statuettes that lead to a quest.

Yeah, he's the one who is all :smug: about selling Aeramas' stuff. Oddly enough it restocks, so I was able to get multiple dude statues.

I also made it a point to buy out Keira before delivering her "components."

The druid in Skellige also sells them, but you have to complete his quest first so you'll probably be level 20+ by the time you hit him.

Edit: Yeah, the "horse armor" is just additional stuff added with the saddle type. Nilfgaard saddle adds neck and some nose bits along with the pimped saddle, had to put those away when I got this sweet cavalry saddle that has 75 stamina. Can damned near gallop entire racetracks.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 22, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

Wait, I can finally get armor for Roach? :swoon:

You can get Temarian and Nilfgaardian tack for Roach already.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

tbh, witcher 3 really follows morrowind's lead in fleshing out minor questlines with extra content. Morrowind used extra dialogue options that would give a full reason for why you are in cave #244 against yet another ash vampire, but that backstory helped make you feel more involved. Witcher 3 has plenty of dialogue as well as the written notices and witcher sense commentary plus the bestiary/character tabs.

Indeed it does. It's really great the way that this game will involve you in a small sidequest, then actually follow through and update it for you. Case in point is Lena in the White Orchard herbalists hut. When you have the option of making her a Swallow potion to stop her hemorrhaging, Geralt makes it a point to warn the herbalist that it may very well kill her in a most excruciating way. Naturally, as with most games I've played, I decided to take on the quest and then forget about it. Later, something made me return to White Orchard and I decided to stop by the herbalist again. I saw Lena was gone and asked about her. Turns out, some Nilfgaardians came in and took her away. Neat, I thought. But that wasn't the end! During another small side quest involving the huge Nilfgaardian army camp center, I'm stopped by some random soldier who asks if I was in White Orchard. Turns out, this soldier was the love interest of Lena that got her grievously wounded by the griffin in the forest in the first place. He mentions that Lena is now mostly mute, but is still alive and doesn't seem herself etc. Says he doesn't know whether to curse me or thank me, I tell him yea well I told her it was dangerous.

tl;dr this game will give you a small, seemingly unimportant side quest that you can go back to and see how the people you helped/killed have fared. Pretty great attention to detail.

quote:

I think that Bethesda did a better job immersing me into their RPG

Haha what? You're a blank slate, nameless nobody whose also the Chosen One who suddenly can kill dragons without any training or anything what so ever. They released a lovely expansion pack that sold you on the excitement of being able to fly a dragon around, but in reality it was a linear rail-shooter like game mechanic. You couldn't mount an undead dracolich that you find in the soul cairn, you instead dominate these ugly dragons and use them to fly from quest objective a to quest objective b, and nothing else. Then, like all BethSoft games, the modding community got a hold of the SDK and well go to TESNexus.com lol

And, you don't have to explain anything to anyone, but could you elaborate on how exactly you got a connection with your level 1 murder cat in Skyrim? Geralt is a singular character people have been following for 3 games now, through several story arcs. Each TES game starts you off with a fresh, new tabula rasa jerk off who is also a demi-god like hero with a rags to riches story. Skyrim and Oblivion were fun for certain, but I never gave a poo poo about anyone in that game because there are *no* characters other than equally boring set pieces used to slog through a quest line.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 22, 2015

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Witcher 3 is definitely prettier than vanilla Skyrim and the combat is more fun, but for me personally I get a lot more immersed in a game where I create the character. Also, the sidequests are more lore oriented where in the Witcher they are more just helping people out and gettin rid of monsters which I loved doing, but it felt like in Skyrim I was getting to know the history and connecting to the land I was trying to protect as well as turning out the be the chosen one and in both cases I purchased the games knowing nothing about the lore. I hadn't, at the time when I played through Skyrim, played any other ES game and I didn't know anything about the Witcher 3 until about a month ago when I picked up the game.

I really really enjoyed both, but at the vanilla level of the game, I got more of a connection to my level 1 khajit assassin named Bubbles than that hot lil tart Geralt. It seems that a lot of the lore is in the books and other games, and I gotta say, I love reading, but I'm not going to read a book just so I can get more into my video game, I have poo poo to do and I just want to play, dammit. I think that Bethesda did a better job immersing me into their RPG and then released some expansive DLC and then mods starting coming out and I spent many hours in that game. I really hope Witcher 3 continues to put out (free!) DLC and maybe someday mods? I really hope so, because it's a gorgeous game with fun and strategic combat, but I've been everywhere man and I neeedd moooorreeee

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

I guess I can see how "find my wife and kid" could be considered a fetch quest, particularly if they've not finished that horrific sequence of quests. I felt bad for the Baron afterwards. It was worth getting him to tell his side of the story, really. It's also the reason why I killed the tree spirit. I didn't want him to hang himself, there was a chance that Anna could be saved and he seemed genuinely remorseful.

I've been playing TW3 with my girlfriend, who works at a shelter for abused women, and she was solidly in the "gently caress this loving fucker" category every time she saw the baron spin some sob story. But that whole dynamic is what makes the story so much more interesting to me than, say, Mass Effect, where I couldn't really relate to any of it at all (though I enjoyed it).

Also playing TW3 is way more fun than watching GoT. At least if the character does something retarded, it's our own fault.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I guess I feel the opposite - I like geralt because he has personality and relationships, while create-a-character protagonists usually just feel like an empty bag of skin and rpg stats to me, like if you autopsied him you'd see "intelligence: 12" instead of a brain. It's really bizarre and off-putting that your character doesn't say anything out loud - maybe the devs say that's so I can fill it in with my imagination, but all I fill it in with is the suspension of disbelief-breaking realization that I'm playing a video game where only half of the dialogue is voice-acted.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Saladman posted:

I've been playing TW3 with my girlfriend, who works at a shelter for abused women, and she was solidly in the "gently caress this loving fucker" category every time she saw the baron spin some sob story. But that whole dynamic is what makes the story so much more interesting to me than, say, Mass Effect, where I couldn't really relate to any of it at all (though I enjoyed it).

Also playing TW3 is way more fun than watching GoT. At least if the character does something retarded, it's our own fault.

I mean, yeah, it's not a fun story and he's by no means a good person, but the best part about this game is that really very few quests have a clear "good" choice. I completely get the opinion your g/f has on him.

It's so opposite KOTOR or something where your option is something like "save this planet" or "lol for an extra 2,000 credits you can kill all the hippies and let some EVIL CORPORATION leech the planet dry". The game also does a *really* good job of not subtlety nudging you in the way they 8want* you to do it. At least, I have not run into anything like that yet.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I love this game, but fucks sake the load time is the worst of any game I've had on the PS4 (and a few PS3 games too). I already get pretty grumpy when I get the poo poo kicked out of me in a fight.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
I think it's a valid point that creating your own character and doing what you want is a very different thing from being Geralt and trying to find Ciri, it's not surprising that some people prefer the former.

The problem with the create-a-character stuff though is that it's kinda impossible to make enough good quality content to cover each way of telling the story. In any open-world game so far, how many ways has there really been to do the main quest? In Skyrim for instance it seems to be more that you can choose to be either a cool assassin or a master thief or a mage (or all of them), doing each of these in a fairly specific way with only minor variations, and then you can do the main quest in a fairly specific way with only minor variations. So there's not a huge amount of choice there either, just content you can do or not.

(I played Skyrim for about 100 hours but never finished; got bored of the crappy characters and writing and how the game did its best to suck my dick all the time. Witcher 3 has much better writing, and I don't mind being Geralt, so it works very well for me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Generic Monk posted:

they were all pretty great, though DB is the standout example. theives guild had a super-cool twist and end reward, mages guild did a good wizard's journey and even the fighter's guild had the odd drug-fuelled rampage. they were all a ton of fun and i'll fight anyone who says otherwise
I think those quest lines were good because they didn't pull any punches. They had character and some twisted stories that were simply interesting to uncover which is why they stood out next to all the cookie cutter quests and 'oh boy you're a chosen one' main story. This is again why Witcher 3 is so good as it's full of stories like those, it surprises me with actually original plot that I want to see unfold and characters that are actually fun to watch react/talk. Something that doesn't exist in Bethesda games. Not mentioning honest to god good humor with snappy punchlines.