Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Oh god the Reformation happened 25 years ahead of its historical schedule and Europe is burning. I might just be the worst Pope ever

But maybe in certain eyes I might be the best pope ever :getin:

How are you making that much money, much less in the 1500s?

I think there's something obvious I'm missing about how to manage my economy in Eu4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Italy become rich as gently caress in the last patch with the development changes, and has a large amount of control over two of the three end nodes.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Frontspac posted:

The relations penalty makes sense, but it seems a little awkward to have to race your own vassals to occupy territory first -- especially since you can't keep them out of a war like allies.

I believe you can actually keep vassals out of war now through the subject menu

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Allyn posted:

Italy become rich as gently caress in the last patch with the development changes, and has a large amount of control over two of the three end nodes.

You also get a ton of free bonus tax income from being the Pope.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

ImPureAwesome posted:

I believe you can actually keep vassals out of war now through the subject menu

Yup. It is the option called "Enable Scrutage."

You get 50% more income from them, and they won't send their idiots in to occupy land you want. Downside is that disabling it gives a short term boost to their liberty desire.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Also be aware that if you enable scrutage you won't be able to switch occupation in a province to that vassal during a war(since they won't be a participant), so if you want to feed them you have to either disable it and take the liberty hit or just keep it off until the vassal is as big as you want it. Alternatively you can still sell them provinces, but I generally find that to be kind of a pain in the butt and you need some specific circumstances for them to actually want to buy it.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

VDay posted:

Yeah the Ottomans have run rampant and been completely unchecked in every game I've played so far. They just shove the Mamluks over while picking and choosing their wars in Europe and around Crimea. When they hit Hungary/Austria they just go expand towards India and by the time any nation is a big enough blob to try and take them on they have twice the manpower/armies. It takes some real effort to keep them in check, unless you try to kneecap them early which has its own set of challenges.

If you beat them in an early war they just lose because the mamluks will prey on them and then other regional powers will prey on them. Keep in mind more times than not they will ally Crimea who will attack Genoa with them who will bring Genoa's allies + Austria and its allies into a war with them which you can take advantage of.

Qara Qoyonlu getting too cocky and losing a war badly + me getting a civil war followed by a regency followed by a 0 admin monarch (who won't die, killing all expansion and my desire to play) are only things keeping them in game.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I know that some dislike the removal of unique buildings and from a pure quality of life perspective I agree. But I do feel that it makes sense from a gameplay perspective since it made several idea groups really superfluous and it is silly that you always got at least +1 diplomat and +2 leaders regardless of country. Now there's actually some choice involved.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Looking for a quick answer before the Steam sale expires. I currently have Art of War and Wealth of Nations. I have just enough money left in my steam wallet to pick up Common Sense or a couple of the older DLC. Any thoughts on what would be a better choice?

Get Res Publica (it's super cheap) and Common Sense. Conquest of Paradise and El Dorado aren't terrible but you're not missing much and American nations got screwed in this patch anyway.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Star posted:

I know that some dislike the removal of unique buildings and from a pure quality of life perspective I agree. But I do feel that it makes sense from a gameplay perspective since it made several idea groups really superfluous and it is silly that you always got at least +1 diplomat and +2 leaders regardless of country. Now there's actually some choice involved.

It was silly that as time goes on and extensive lines of communication and formal war schools sprang up literally everywhere in the world, everyone could spend a lot of money to get +1 diplomat and +2 leaders? Sounds logical to me, not silly.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Wiz is posting some interesting things about the upcoming patch on the Paradox forums:

quote:

Up-to-date fully maintained forts will give you army tradition in 1.13 (scaled depending on how many forts you have compared to your total development).
Source: Is there any reason to build a higher tier fort than 1?

quote:

+5 cost per [development] increase will be removed, dev efficiency not affecting whole cost is a bug and will be fixed. To balance the lack of cost increase for repeatedly developing same province, we'll make it so you can't develop any one of the three values to be higher than the other two together (so you can't make a 40 production 1 bt 1 manpower silk province).
Source: +5 cost per development needs to go.

They both sound like really good changes to me.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Zurai posted:

It was silly that as time goes on and extensive lines of communication and formal war schools sprang up literally everywhere in the world, everyone could spend a lot of money to get +1 diplomat and +2 leaders? Sounds logical to me, not silly.

And honestly having 2 diplomats is kinda of tedious. Specially if you're annexing vassals since that means 10-20 years of having 1 diplomat and almost no diplo income. I'm okay with losing the Army Tradition and extra leader building because those mechanics are more interesting now (you have do some work to get high AT and gain Power Projection to get a 2nd leader), but having 1 diplomat isn't fun.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
What the gently caress? Am I missing something here or what? Why are the rebels instantly winning when there's both an army and an active fort where they spawn? Granted, I had neither when the event popped up and I waited a few months to click it until I did, but still...

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
I mended the schism as orthodox ottomans by 1510, before any reformation occurred. I figured this would prevent the reformation since no Pope would mean no reform desire, but I was wrong.

Trying again as regular Muslim Ottomans for WC achievement and exploiting distant overseas and I did make a huge empire, but not that much inroads into Europe. How do you expand into the HRE without being annihilated by a coalition? I conquered a stretch of land from Moldovia to Danzig over the course of 3 wars and the last one aroused the wrath of everyone from Lithuania to Austria.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Apoffys posted:

What the gently caress? Am I missing something here or what? Why are the rebels instantly winning when there's both an army and an active fort where they spawn? Granted, I had neither when the event popped up and I waited a few months to click it until I did, but still...

There are events that cause the spawning rebels to immediately occupy the province they spawn in. This is one of them. Although normally these events (mostly disasters) spawn them instantly without giving you a chance to react. And yes it does make the event pretty dumb because the first option gives the illusion that it doesn't convert the province when in-fact they always do.

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I mended the schism as orthodox ottomans by 1510, before any reformation occurred. I figured this would prevent the reformation since no Pope would mean no reform desire, but I was wrong.

Trying again as regular Muslim Ottomans for WC achievement and exploiting distant overseas and I did make a huge empire, but not that much inroads into Europe. How do you expand into the HRE without being annihilated by a coalition? I conquered a stretch of land from Moldovia to Danzig over the course of 3 wars and the last one aroused the wrath of everyone from Lithuania to Austria.

You'll just have to beat the coalition. They also can't be in a coalition while they have a truce with you. So either get different nations on different truce timers or simply trucebreak to avoid coalitions.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 22, 2015

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Sorced posted:

There are events that cause the spawning rebels to immediately occupy the province they spawn in. This is one of them. Although normally these events (mostly disasters) spawn them instantly without giving you a chance to react. And yes it does make the event pretty dumb because the first option gives the illusion that it doesn't convert the province when in-fact they always do.

They don't always convert though. Last time the event happened it was in a province next to a fort, so since the fort wasn't taken it protected the province from conversion. I doubt this is working like intended...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Frontspac posted:

Maybe that modifier should get a buff if the country taking the AE hit is from a different religious group?

It's good to see Ottomans going bigger in Europe, but it should probably provoke a bit more of a reaction than that from the Christian Europeans (or at least the Austrians and Poles.)
Maybe just have same-continent neighbors with a land-connection between capitals count as being in the same region, for the purpose of AE? Same-continent neighbors without a direct connection, such as Spain bordering the Papal states, could perhaps give half the AE.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jabarto posted:

Wiz is posting some interesting things about the upcoming patch on the Paradox forums:

I noticed in the suggestion forum that Wiz is planning to add a larger diplomacy UI in an upcoming patch. Easily modded but still cool, I think.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jabarto posted:

Source: Is there any reason to build a higher tier fort than 1?

Source: +5 cost per development needs to go.

They both sound like really good changes to me.

Seems like a big boost to development.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Another Person posted:

Also, I thought Bharat would have given me a cultural union and made Indian all accepted. It did not. Does Hindustan do that? If so, I hosed up by being Hindu.

IIRC it does not.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Another Person posted:

Also, I thought Bharat would have given me a cultural union and made Indian all accepted. It did not. Does Hindustan do that? If so, I hosed up by being Hindu.

I got a union of Hindusthani cultures when I formed Hindustan as Bengal (which is an Eastern Aryan culture). This was pre-Common Sense though, it may have changed.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

Seems like a big boost to development.

Yeah that'll be pretty huge, it'll make buying development fairly competitive with conquering or integrating. Base 50 MP per dev, toss in discounts from Econ, university and you can get that down to ~25 or so which is similar to core/integrate cost.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah that'll be pretty huge, it'll make buying development fairly competitive with conquering or integrating. Base 50 MP per dev, toss in discounts from Econ, university and you can get that down to ~25 or so which is similar to core/integrate cost.

Improving provinces more will be fun, but I'm worried there will be too much wealth everywhere. I kind of wish that base tax and base production were more different. One is an income generator and the other is the better income generator. Base manpower is much better differentiated in comparison

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

is there any way to make the AI stop doing this.

reL
May 20, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

is there any way to make the AI stop doing this.

You can select your troops and uncheck "Attach to this army" if the base unit in that screenshot is yours.

edit: I'll usually leave it unchecked for all but one army while I'm chasing down larger forces and smashing them up, and once I force retreats or wipe the larger forces opposing me I'll uncheck it for that army, too.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any ETA for 1.13? Hesitant to do any development in my current game since it's about to become a lot cheaper.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

reL posted:

You can select your troops and uncheck "Attach to this army" if the base unit in that screenshot is yours.

edit: I'll usually leave it unchecked for all but one army while I'm chasing down larger forces and smashing them up, and once I force retreats or wipe the larger forces opposing me I'll uncheck it for that army, too.

Nah that's just a huge pile of allied armies stacked above supply limit and eating attrition

The AI has done this forever it's just worse with Common Sense fort changes

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kersch posted:

Improving provinces more will be fun, but I'm worried there will be too much wealth everywhere. I kind of wish that base tax and base production were more different. One is an income generator and the other is the better income generator. Base manpower is much better differentiated in comparison
The way I understand it, base tax represents sort of the stationary economy of a province, things like the agricultural output not meant for export and things like inns and poo poo. Basically the bare minimum economy. Production on the other hand is tied more to the growing international (and eventually global) trade, essentially surplus production (hopefully) being leveraged into greater wealth elsewhere. It sorta makes sense then that one would be a better income generator than the other, when running optimally. Optimally being the operative word. Perhaps a way to differentiate the two would be to make booms and busts a bigger part of the economy, meaning a country which makes a majority of its wealth off trade would be more vulnerable to an international downturn, while a country which has simply focused on most efficiently taxing its populace would be better able to ride out a crisis. Basically, production/trade would have higher highs and lower lows.

Another thing you could, on top of the previous suggestion, would be to tie this more into other aspects of the game. A focus on production and trade would mean the merchant class would be more prominent, where a focus on tax would imply a more aristocratic society. Perhaps the latter could receive some benefits in terms of keeping a lid on any kind of political unrest, while the former has to contend more often with merchants trying to muscle into the political system? Basically further differentiating an aristocratic land empire like Russia from a more plutocratic sea empire like the Netherlands. When things are going well, the latter can do amazing things despite its relatively weak base, while the latter is more the surefire slow and steady wins the race kinda country.

e: Actually, you might not even need to have this be associated with specific government types, all you'd really need to do would be to look at how much of a country's income is trade based. More trade = more merchants acting like they should have a say in politics too.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 22, 2015

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
With development not having an escalating cost, are we not just going to end up dumping it all in our capital province?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I get the idea that they are thematically different sources of income but as far as gameplay goes, they are both just income sources and production is the better one. I think base tax needs something to differentiate it, like maybe an effect on tech or idea cost, or better advisors/generals/admirals to simulate having a bigger pool of rich people to grab officials from

I'm not even sure if I like either of those ideas would work well, I'm just brainstorming

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Looking at the wiki you can reasonably get to -95% development costs as certain countries in the HRE. Now that the cost doesn't escalate it seems possible to make yourself an OPM that's impossible to kill since every time you raise development in a province the war score cost rises by 1 if it wasn't already before.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013
imo the more logical way to do it would have been to remove base tax entirely, and turn admin into production, diplo maybe something like port capacity and have the total including manpower be called base tax. Though of course that would have made diplo as useless as before for a Bohemia or the swiss

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Antwan3K posted:

imo the more logical way to do it would have been to remove base tax entirely, and turn admin into production, diplo maybe something like port capacity and have the total including manpower be called base tax. Though of course that would have made diplo as useless as before for a Bohemia or the swiss

This would be ridiculously bad.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
For a moment I was worried Mantua would not have a fort to signify it's strategic importance to control the region but thankfully it does.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kersch posted:

I get the idea that they are thematically different sources of income but as far as gameplay goes, they are both just income sources and production is the better one. I think base tax needs something to differentiate it, like maybe an effect on tech or idea cost, or better advisors/generals/admirals to simulate having a bigger pool of rich people to grab officials from
Yes, that's the case now, that's why I suggested ways to differentiate them, making a focus on either represent two different approaches to empire.

Trujillo posted:

Looking at the wiki you can get around -80 to -90% development costs. Now that the cost doesn't escalate it seems possible to make yourself an OPM that's impossible to kill since every time you raise development in a province the war score cost rises by 1 if it wasn't already before.
War score cost maxes out at 100%, doesn't it? Just like coring maxes out at 999.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Gort posted:

With development not having an escalating cost, are we not just going to end up dumping it all in our capital province?

There were two parrts to the increasing development cost. A percent based cost based on total development that increased by 1%/development and on top of that an additional fixed cost of 5/time you pushed the button. The second part is getting removed next patch but the percentage cost still increases.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

War score cost maxes out at 100%, doesn't it? Just like coring maxes out at 999.

Yes.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 22, 2015

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
If the +5 cost per development is getting taken out then the development increase per level needs to go from 1% to 2%. Even with the high rear end cost right now OPMs with good terrain are already developing the poo poo out of their province. There's going to be like lvl90 provinces otherwise.

Still I feel like straight up removing the +5 cost is a bit extreme. Maybe like make the base 35, change the cost to +3 per development, allow development efficiency to affect the whole cost and also give the first +25% development efficiency in the tech trees like 4 techs earlier. Or maybe lower it to be +20% efficiency and give three of them. The bigger problem right now is that the AI of 70% of the map can't afford development, +5 cost or not, and then squander their one or two given building slots on forcelimit buildings.

Like you don't even have to go far across the world to the footrests of europeans, you can look across the sea to the mamluks and see how pathetic they are right now compared to pre common sense.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 22, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The HRE just declared landfriede(?) which disallows internal HRE wars. I figured I could declare war on him and force him to repeal the law, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

I assume my only option is taking my toys and going home (leave the HRE)?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

If the +5 cost per development is getting taken out then the development increase per level needs to go from 1% to 2%. Even with the high rear end cost right now OPMs with good terrain are already developing the poo poo out of their province. There's going to be like lvl90 provinces otherwise.

Still I feel like straight up removing the +5 cost is a bit extreme. Maybe like make the base 35, change the cost to +3 per development, allow development efficiency to affect the whole cost and also give the first +25% development efficiency in the tech trees like 4 techs earlier. Or maybe lower it to be +20% efficiency and give three of them. The bigger problem right now is that the AI of 70% of the map can't afford development, +5 cost or not, and then squander their one or two given building slots on forcelimit buildings.

Like you don't even have to go far across the world to the footrests of europeans, you can look across the sea to the mamluks and see how pathetic they are right now compared to pre common sense.
Maybe if each province had a "Development Potential" stat, which modified the cost of development? If your province was very undeveloped in relation to this stat you'd get a discount, while exceeding it would incur increasing penalties, much like for tech. This stat could be tech dependent too, unlocking new levels of "Development Potential" once in a while. This would basically obviate the need for increased cost, though of course be limiting in its own way. In Europe, this would likely mean Eastern Europe having a higher potential relative to their starting situation, the land being rather undeveloped/ravaged by steppe hordes, while many provinces in Italy would have little potential for further development before major technological developments have been achieved.

To not make this overly complicated, Development potential could be defined simply like this:

Development Potential = Potential x Tech factor.

With Potential being whatever value at tech 30 Paradox deems appropriate for the province in question, and the tech factor then determining how much of that would be unlocked at a certain tech. The tech factor could be unlocked at regular intervals, like so:

ADM 0: 0.5
ADM 6: 0.6
ADM 12: 0.7
ADM 18: 0.8
ADM 24: 0.9
ADM 30: 1.0

What the player would actually see in-game would just the Development Potential number though, and on a mouse-over, the year value for future ADM tech levels, much like for military tactics. Doing it like this would maybe not be entirely realistic, as some provinces might only really be viable for development rather late, but it would mean Paradox would only have to define a single end development level they thought appropriate for the province, which I don't think would be a huge hassle. They could probably even use that value to scale up the development of provinces for later starts if they wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Fintilgin posted:

The HRE just declared landfriede(?) which disallows internal HRE wars. I figured I could declare war on him and force him to repeal the law, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

I assume my only option is taking my toys and going home (leave the HRE)?

Sorta weird, I thought you can always DOW the HRE in order to repeal laws. Maybe I'm just thinking of CK2.

• Locked thread