Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

Except that they don't reject the null hypothesis. Saying that you reject it is not the same as actually rejecting it. That kind of thing is okay for a working paper, which is what this is, but it's not acceptable to draw meaningful results from the paper in the meantime.

This is over the top, even for you.

Yeah, the authors are misrepresenting their own results because it's a working paper. Lol. (it's a FRB working paper which dont work like academic working papers btw)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Has anyone argued that minimum wage increases won't increase prices? Of course it will. The issue is whether that's an acceptable tradeoff (it is).

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Radbot posted:

Has anyone argued that minimum wage increases won't increase prices? Of course it will. The issue is whether that's an acceptable tradeoff (it is).

The predicted price increase, by the by, was 7 cents per dollar of increase in the minimum wage, but only for low-wage services. General increases in prices wouldn't happen.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Seeing as you believe that being poor in America is impossible, being so would in fact be quite an achievement. Or you could just be a colossal moron, I wonder which is more probable?

Well I guess the BLS is wrong about how rare being "working poor" is because of a bunch of anecdotes from a few guys on a forum.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

The predicted price increase, by the by, was 7 cents per dollar of increase in the minimum wage, but only for low-wage services. General increases in prices wouldn't happen.

Yeah, what's 7% among friends? We all know poor people can easily afford a 7% price increase.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Well I guess the BLS is wrong about how rare being "working poor" is because of a bunch of anecdotes from a few guys on a forum.

Effectronica posted:

Most people, when using the word "poor", are referring to their economic position in terms of what they can buy, rather than whether they are above or below the official poverty line. But let's take a look at some costs. The poverty threshold for 1 person is $11,770/year. The cheapest studio apartment I can find in my area is $400/month, so $4800 in expenses just for housing. Using the USDA thrifty food plan for one person, groceries add another $2683, and utilities roughly another $2400. Monthly transportation costs are $1018/month for the average household in my area, so taking 40% of that for having one car and driving less frequently (to be excessively fair), that's another $4886 a year. Average clothing costs add another $1079 yearly. So we're sitting at $15,848 without considering entertainment, healthcare, or other expenses. We're already $4000 above the poverty line in costs with a single-room apartment, not having any health insurance, buying the absolute cheapest food possible, no children, no entertainment, nothing. Even sharing your studio apartment with someone else still has us $2000 above the poverty line.

So it would seem that the poverty line is an inadequate measurement, and note that a full-time worker at the minimum wage still falls about $300 short! Clearly, they're living high on the hog as a member of the upper-middle class with their grotesque $15,500 a year in income!!

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Yeah, what's 7% among friends? We all know poor people can easily afford a 7% price increase.

Nope, 7% of the increase in the minimum wage, as an overall aggregate. That amounts to a $0.50 increase in actual prices for a $15/hr minimum wage. This will not be evenly distributed, either.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 22, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

As usual, QuarkJets was lying about the contents of a paper. Normally I just don't bother engaging, but he also had interesting comments on the methodology that he seemed to actually be putting effort towards.

Why is it that when you conservatives get backed into a corner you start accusing people of lying? I'm not lying to you, I promise. If the authors actually show that they've rejected the null hypothesis then please tell me where that is, because I sure as hell didn't see it.

Note that "our model matches the econ 101 model of the labor market" is not a rejection of the null hypothesis.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

This is over the top, even for you.

Yeah, the authors are misrepresenting their own results because it's a working paper. Lol. (it's a FRB working paper which dont work like academic working papers btw)

They're not misrepresenting their results. They describe their model and its results in perfectly reasonable terms. Given the way in which the paper is written, I believe that they intended to go back and perform the necessary statistical tests to show that their results are meaningful.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

has it ever occurred to you that you may be interpreting the data incorrectly

this isn't an insult. have you actually considered that you may be wrong

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Let's also consider that fast-food restaurants do exist with higher minimum wages than the federal one, by the owner's policy. These will suppress prices as well, since they wouldn't raise prices as high and would be able to outcompete other fast-food restaurants by doing so.

EDIT: Also, they don't necessarily have higher prices than restaurants that do use the federal minimum.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
really marveling here that i can't tell from context if geriatric pirate is perpetrating a really dumb and niche troll or if he's just extremely stubborn and unwilling to give an inch regarding that he may not have the ability to turn his opinions into perfectly clear and correct declarations of fact

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

Nope, 7% of the increase in the minimum wage, as an overall aggregate. That amounts to a $0.50 increase in actual prices for a $15/hr minimum wage. This will not be evenly distributed, either.

Not quite sure those numbers are directly comparable like that (wage per hour versus $ increase in overall prices), but then again, I haven't done as many lab reports as you have.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Not quite sure those numbers are directly comparable like that (wage per hour versus $ increase in overall prices), but then again, I haven't done as many lab reports as you have.

That's what they do in the paper you obviously did not read, because they compare a percentage increase in wages to a percentage increase in overall prices, which works out to a $0.07 increase in prices per $1.00 increase in wages.

EDIT: Also, refusing to address data makes it clear you need a good, solid Clockwork Orange treatment if we ever want to rehabilitate you into society.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Once again that's a whole lot of terms with no actual meaning behind them. Not sure what "fractional uncertainties" you're talking about but still not sure how you think essentially taking the mean and doing tests on it is better than using the actual raw data. Any problems you have in the data that affect ols coeffs affect the mean. This is really simple.

Still not sure how you think r2 which you now admit is irrelevant to testing a coefficient "helps confirm" anything. Does the sky being blue also help confirm that a murder happened?

Did someone post anything beyond their anecdotes about not affording anime that would somehow trump BLS data? I love left wing D&D posters because being poor is some sort of achievement here and people have the best stories about how they were poor (apparently the daily routine of poor people in America consists mainly of posting here)

You're a loving moron with no understanding of how poo poo works in America and you think you understand American poverty better than actual Americans. That's what you're saying here, that I just think I'm poor making less than 15k a year and spending most of that on crazy things like bills and food and gas. gently caress you. gently caress anyone who thinks people need to respond to you with anything other than outright hostility.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Popular Thug Drink posted:

really marveling here that i can't tell from context if geriatric pirate is perpetrating a really dumb and niche troll or if he's just extremely stubborn and unwilling to give an inch regarding that he may not have the ability to turn his opinions into perfectly clear and correct declarations of fact

It's neither, he's dumb Jim.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GP do you believe that adults working minimum wage jobs are only doing so ironically?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm really marveling here that QuarkJets managed to get like 6 left wing posters convinced that "fractional uncertainties" are a reason to avoid using detailed data

Literally The Worst posted:

You're a loving moron with no understanding of how poo poo works in America and you think you understand American poverty better than actual Americans. That's what you're saying here, that I just think I'm poor making less than 15k a year and spending most of that on crazy things like bills and food and gas. gently caress you. gently caress anyone who thinks people need to respond to you with anything other than outright hostility.

Maybe instead of posting here 40 times per day complaining about how poor you are, you could, you know, get a job? I'm guessing most people don't do that, which is why, like the BLS says, working full time and being poor is quite an achievement.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I'm really marveling here that QuarkJets managed to get like 6 left wing posters convinced that "fractional uncertainties" are a reason to avoid using detailed data

Maybe instead of posting here 40 times per day complaining about how poor you are, you could, you know, get a job? I'm guessing most people don't do that, which is why, like the BLS says, working full time and being poor is quite an achievement.

I work forty hours a week shithead, and that's if it's the rare week I don't go in early or stay late a few times for some extra money.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

i dont know what dumb bullshit you're talking about i am directly addressing your repeated hilarious self-owns as you continue to dig yourself even deeper by claiming that the official poverty line is an adequate amount of money for an individual to survive on in a country you've never been to

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

Why is it that when you conservatives get backed into a corner you start accusing people of lying? I'm not lying to you, I promise. If the authors actually show that they've rejected the null hypothesis then please tell me where that is, because I sure as hell didn't see it.

Note that "our model matches the econ 101 model of the labor market" is not a rejection of the null hypothesis.
Still don't know why I bother because you make up poo poo, but this one was easy to check:

In every single table of their paper, where the coefficient divided by the standard error gives a t-stat that rejects the null hypothesis of the coefficient being equal to 0

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

QuarkJets posted:

GP do you believe that adults working minimum wage jobs are only doing so ironically?

he's just googling whatever numbers necessary to preserve his self esteem by not going down in flames during an internet argument

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

But the tone!!!!

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

i dont know what dumb bullshit you're talking about i am directly addressing your repeated hilarious self-owns as you continue to dig yourself even deeper by claiming that the official poverty line is an adequate amount of money for an individual to survive on in a country you've never been to
:qq: the BLS poverty line doesn't include any budget for anime, they just account for things like food, transport and living costs :qq:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Maybe the myth of American Exceptionalism has wormed its way so deep into GP's mind palace that if he were to acknowledge the inadequacy of wages and safety nets in America the cognitive dissonance would destroy his brain, but that may have already happened

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

:qq: the BLS poverty line doesn't include any budget for anime, they just account for things like food, transport and living costs :qq:

I used BLS statistics earlier to show that the minimum is thousands of dollars higher than the actual poverty threshold, and you have pretended it doesn't exist, because you're able, like a lizard, to recognize when something is wrong, but unable to figure out quite what it is. Only instead of running, you stand your ground.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
look at those poors in america living high on the hog in their $400/mo studio mansions, eating ramen and doritos, owning refrigerators, taking comfortable air conditioned rides on public transport!!! next thing you know, they'll be able to get subsidized healthcare!!!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Yeah how dare people say they're poor when they're just barely scraping by in the best of times, God forbid something go wrong. gently caress you.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

it actually doesn't account for transport and living costs, it's just the cost of food * 3

not that it matters, you're incapable of making a correct statement. if you described ice as cold reality would shift around your coward's forked tongue

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Please tell me about how I should find a job, again, for daring to want things

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Effectronica posted:

That's what they do in the paper you obviously did not read, because they compare a percentage increase in wages to a percentage increase in overall prices, which works out to a $0.07 increase in prices per $1.00 increase in wages.

EDIT: Also, refusing to address data makes it clear you need a good, solid Clockwork Orange treatment if we ever want to rehabilitate you into society.

And why are you comparing those numbers?

When minimum wage goes up we know the rest of society pays for that increase one way or another. And how much it costs is fairly trivial to calculate.

Analyzing price is important not because of the actual number, but because it tells us who pays for it. The difference between "owners pay for it" and "everyone [regressively] pays for it" is quite large.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yeah how dare people say they're poor when they're just barely scraping by in the best of times, God forbid something go wrong. gently caress you.

according to the first thing i discovered when i googled "why poor people in america aren't poor" you aren't really poor, deal with it

this in no way reflects a fundamental incapacity for me to come up with my own arguments through interpreting and synthesizing data into a cohesive worldview, the fault is entirely yours

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

I used BLS statistics earlier to show that the minimum is thousands of dollars higher than the actual poverty threshold, and you have pretended it doesn't exist, because you're able, like a lizard, to recognize when something is wrong, but unable to figure out quite what it is. Only instead of running, you stand your ground.

Sorry that the minimum you calculated for yourself is higher than the minimum calculated by the census bureau based on consumption data and price data (not the BLS, though they did some experiments and tests http://www.bls.gov/pir/spm/spm_thresholds_2013.htm and found very similar thresholds)

I'm afraid however that I will have to take the word of two government bodies that have an incentive to calculate this stuff instead of someone who is literally addicted to somethingawful.com.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Sorry that the minimum you calculated for yourself is higher than the minimum calculated by the census bureau based on consumption data and price data (not the BLS, though they did some experiments and tests http://www.bls.gov/pir/spm/spm_thresholds_2013.htm and found very similar thresholds)

I'm afraid however that I will have to take the word of two government bodies that have an incentive to calculate this stuff instead of someone who is literally addicted to somethingawful.com.

Wow the government set the poverty line lower than it actually is???? It's almost like if it was higher there would be more people receiving assistance. Surely this is al just coincidence though.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Please tell me about how I should find a job, again, for daring to want things

How dare I suggest that someone who has time to post here all day and who is poor might be well served by getting (another) job. God forbid someone suggest that you do something about your situation. That's not fair - the only possible solution to your problems is more money from the government.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if we keep insulting geriatric pirate's inferior education and evident learning disability he may eventually google himself into a page that patiently explains why he is wrong

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

How dare I suggest that someone who has time to post here all day and who is poor might be well served by getting (another) job. God forbid someone suggest that you do something about your situation. That's not fair - the only possible solution to your problems is more money from the government.

Literally bootstraps, if you're doing anything but working you have no right to complain, even if you already work more than 40 hours a week on average. gently caress you.

Also yes on my day off I do have time to post, because I'm not waking up and getting ready for an 11 hour shift. It's crazy how that works. Are you not really poor if you have days off now, you ignorant gently caress?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
so in fake russia do they have like separate public schools for the hopelessly incompetent or something or did geriatric pirate end up getting mainstreamed

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

if we keep insulting geriatric pirate's inferior education and evident learning disability he may eventually google himself into a page that patiently explains why he is wrong

Apparently swamp swedes are fed a diet of lead based paint starting from birth

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

asdf32 posted:

And why are you comparing those numbers?

When minimum wage goes up we know the rest of society pays for that increase one way or another. And how much it costs is fairly trivial to calculate.

Analyzing price is important not because of the actual number, but because it tells us who pays for it. The difference between "owners pay for it" and "everyone [regressively] pays for it" is quite large.

Yes, and the conclusion in the paper is that the owners pay for 93% of it.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Okay, so you believe in magic, and regardless of the actual costs, if the word "poverty threshold" comes from a subject you sorta-trust, that's ineffable. Well, I'll just have to print out some of your posts and run water over them. As the representation of you melts and runs away, so too shall you disintegrate into nothingness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Could you point me at some jobs in whatever US city you live in? Thx

• Locked thread