Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm biased because I love Flash Gordon so this hit all the right spots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miU6ruUPZHI

What was that song in the first 30 seconds? It's familiar. Also drat, now I'm gonna watch Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Do you want to see an episode of Family Guy that's just Peter and Brian and it has a schmaltzy ending?

If so, first, punch your dick off. Then enjoy your lovely movie.

This is sorta inaccurate- the jokes are way more focused than in Family Guy, for one. It's also much more subtle with the nostalgic stuff- it has the Flash Gordon thing and the joke with the kidnapper dancing to Tiffany but that's about it for "hey remember the 80s?" stuff, and the former has an actual payoff beyond that.

It's not, like, Airplane! or anything but I didn't feel like I wasted my dollar seeing it at the dollar theater, and I've rewatched it a couple times since and still laughed at it, so I chalk it up as "pretty decent."

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

effectual posted:

What was that song in the first 30 seconds? It's familiar. Also drat, now I'm gonna watch Flash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q_pgveRv8E

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

LORD OF BUTT posted:

This is sorta inaccurate- the jokes are way more focused than in Family Guy, for one. It's also much more subtle with the nostalgic stuff- it has the Flash Gordon thing and the joke with the kidnapper dancing to Tiffany but that's about it for "hey remember the 80s?" stuff, and the former has an actual payoff beyond that.

It's not, like, Airplane! or anything but I didn't feel like I wasted my dollar seeing it at the dollar theater, and I've rewatched it a couple times since and still laughed at it, so I chalk it up as "pretty decent."

It's not a bad comedy to have a few beers on a bored evening with the girlfriend. It has enough heart to seperate it from Family Guy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ted is the best version of that premise made by the specific people involved in making it. It's about as close to a cinematic masterpiece as I think MacFarlane is capable of making because as ludicrous as everything is it still feels emotionally honest all the way through and the jokes have good timing.

That said the Ted 2 poster is riding on nostalgia for nostalgia for the first movie, which tells me that they're pandering to the worst members of that fan base and they're pandering hard.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mind the walrus posted:

Ted is the best version of that premise made by the specific people involved in making it. It's about as close to a cinematic masterpiece as I think MacFarlane is capable of making because as ludicrous as everything is it still feels emotionally honest all the way through and the jokes have good timing.

This is about where I'm at. It's about the best I think MacFarlane is capable of doing, and it's solidly Good Enough.

quote:

That said the Ted 2 poster is riding on nostalgia for nostalgia for the first movie, which tells me that they're pandering to the worst members of that fan base and they're pandering hard.

I dunno, the trailers haven't really been pushing the Flash Gordon guy coming back (he's only in like two shots). I'm still hopeful.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I cannot for the life of me figure out where Ted's arm is coming from in that poster. Like, he's holding up that crystal thing and his arm is coming from his waist? Or is the crystal on his shoulder? Where's his other arm? I don't get it, man.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Poster Dump: "Is it getting dark in here?" Edition

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I only noticed now that Mila Kunis isn't in Ted 2. Movies that have a big true love ending and then ditch (or lose) the love interest in the sequel are my favorite.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

I only noticed now that Mila Kunis isn't in Ted 2. Movies that have a big true love ending and then ditch (or lose) the love interest in the sequel are my favorite.

She had to pass on the movie because of her pregnancy and I'm sure they'll spend maybe 10 seconds in the beginning to write her off and just roll from there.

Entourage is doing the same thing.

(also Austin Powers 2)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mila Kunis will get run over by a bus in the first few minutes, like in Paul Blart 2.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Aphrodite posted:

I like Speed 2, too.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

How illegal is it to own a copy of Rocky IV in Russia?

Follow-up: did 80's Red Dawn or Die Hard 5 get released there?

I know a woman who grew up in the Soviet Union. She saw both Rocky IV and Red Dawn. I don't believe either film ever got a formal release, but copies of foreign films became easy to buy off the black market during the 80s. The quality tended not to be the best, but it wasn't uncommon for people to watch.

She enjoyed Rocky IV growing up but complained that Drago's dialogue is literal nonsense. He doesn't act Russian and she doesn't know anyone that ever rooted for Drago in the final fight.

She thought Red Dawn was dumb and couldn't really get past the premise.

EDIT: And while I am thinking about it, she absolutely loathed the last season of House of Cards.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 23, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Back on Ted 2 talk, this isn't poster stuff, but I gotta get it off my chest. I loving hate the joke where the lawyer asks Ted if he has a soul, he sings, there's an objection, and the judge is all "Overruled~" and high fives him. It feels like just another instance of Seth MacFarlane jerking himself off over how he can sing and reinforces my belief that the man should just write a goddamn musical if he wants to so bad and get it out of his system.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Waffleman_ posted:

Back on Ted 2 talk, this isn't poster stuff, but I gotta get it off my chest. I loving hate the joke where the lawyer asks Ted if he has a soul, he sings, there's an objection, and the judge is all "Overruled~" and high fives him. It feels like just another instance of Seth MacFarlane jerking himself off over how he can sing and reinforces my belief that the man should just write a goddamn musical if he wants to so bad and get it out of his system.

I share you hatred, but more due to the fact that I wish he would stop taking every opportunity to go for the easy (i.e. lazy) race joke. Some of the stuff in the trailers are legitimately funny, but then they always end with that clip, which kills any and all interest I may have had.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

QuoProQuid posted:

I know a woman who grew up in the Soviet Union. She saw both Rocky IV and Red Dawn. I don't believe either film ever got a formal release, but copies of foreign films became easy to buy off the black market during the 80s. The quality tended not to be the best, but it wasn't uncommon for people to watch.

She enjoyed Rocky IV growing up but complained that Drago's dialogue is literal nonsense. He doesn't act Russian and she doesn't know anyone that ever rooted for Drago in the final fight.

She thought Red Dawn was dumb and couldn't really get past the premise.

EDIT: And while I am thinking about it, she absolutely loathed the last season of House of Cards.

What was her opinion of Hunt for Red October? And any other US/Russia nuke movie like WarGames, etc

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Any movies that have gay characters but don't specifically condemn homosexuality are probably banned under the gay propaganda law. Andrey Zvyagintsev's film Leviathan also caused some outrage in Russia for it's portrayal of Russians as foul mouthed vodka swilling louts(and also shows the government as incompetent and corrupt). Following Leviathan the Ministry of Culture made some plans to ban all "anti-Russian" films that defile the national culture, even ones made by Russians.

Nah, if you have gay characters in the movie you are just required to wear a 18+ rating. With a movie explicitly about LGBT it is a roulette - Dallas Buyers Club was released without problems, Blue is the Warmest Color got under fire, but overcame the pressure.
Mortal Instruments avoided problems by changing the reference to homosexuality of one of the characters to... incest.
I am surprised how Paranorman flew under the radar when it was in the theatres.

Soviet posters for content:

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Waffleman_ posted:

Several Family Guy episodes are musicals, it doesn't seem to stop him. For that matter, he did a full concert film a while back. It just seems to be a thing he does.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I don't like that joke because it comes off as Seth validating himself for terrible race comedy with his very own poorly written black character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Erebus posted:

Several Family Guy episodes are musicals, it doesn't seem to stop him. For that matter, he did a full concert film a while back. It just seems to be a thing he does.

It's a thing everyone does. Who the hell says okay, I've not made a bunch of songs and I can quit forever?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
People always act like Seth is a weird mix of "old hollywood" and "raunchy humor" but he really isn't that unique when it comes to that stuff, he is just more self indulgent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

It's a thing everyone does. Who the hell says okay, I've not made a bunch of songs and I can quit forever?

Joss Whedon seems to be over it since Once More With Feeling and Doctor Horrible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Joss Whedon seems to be over it since Once More With Feeling and Doctor Horrible.

He also did the music in his Much Ado About Nothing, and is apparently making/made an EP with some Kickstarter artist.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Prince.

Except then he doesn't and then we all wish he had.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I'm more of a Vanity fan myself

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

effectual posted:

What was her opinion of Hunt for Red October? And any other US/Russia nuke movie like WarGames, etc

I know she has seen them, but I would be lying if I said I knew her opinion on those two movies specifically. She did mention watching Rambo: First Blood: Part II and that it was popular among young boys. The government freaked out when it was released and accused it of being propaganda, which she thought was probably accurate in some small part.

Her issue with most Cold War films is that Americans have a very shallow understanding of how Russian society works, and tend to fall back on propaganda to boost their understanding. All too often, Russians are portrayed as zealots, robots, or trigger-happy maniacs. Though there were "true believers" in the upper echelons of the Soviet government, she describes the Soviet Union of the 1970s and 1980s as a country of incredible apathy. "We pretended to work and they pretended to pay us" is how the Soviet Union is often described during its final years. The idea that the Soviet Union would deliberately try to provoke direct conflict, especially when it was barely shambling along, is laughable.

If you want to see how most Soviet citizens viewed the Cold War, I recommend watching Nine Days of One Year. The characters are constantly talking about the "five or six men on the other side of the globe that decide whether I am to live or not" and how pointlessly destructive nuclear energy is. It is a really interesting movie and was only possible because the Soviet Union briefly relaxed its censorship standards.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 23, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wasn't Stalin in particular terrified of jumping the gun on anything that might provoke the US to open conflict?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

Prince.

Except then he doesn't and then we all wish he had.

Prince's new album is awesome, fool.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheJoker138 posted:

Prince's new album is awesome, fool.

Yeah, it's pretty drat good.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, it's pretty drat good.

The only bad thing about it was the terrible localized monologue at the beginning. Wait, I just looked this up, was that thing in Danish in all releases?!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It's kind of weird that Prince just attached himself to the persona Dave Chapelle and his writers made for him. I saw him another show recently and it was all ethereal Prince floating and a butterfly landed on his finger and stuff. Prince owns, however.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

mr.capps posted:

People always act like Seth is a weird mix of "old hollywood" and "raunchy humor" but he really isn't that unique when it comes to that stuff, he is just more self indulgent.

I think it just stands out whenever people known for being hip and ironic reveal themselves to be unabashed fans of something seen as old and lame, like it's the sort of thing they should be making fun of. People had a hard time believing Trey Parker was a genuine fan of musicals, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Firstborn posted:

It's kind of weird that Prince just attached himself to the persona Dave Chapelle and his writers made for him. I saw him another show recently and it was all ethereal Prince floating and a butterfly landed on his finger and stuff. Prince owns, however.

He's a total weirdo but this doesn't mean he doesn't have a sense of humor. The whole symbol thing, which is the weirdest thing he's done that people regularly cite, was an art protest against the contract he had with WB, which saw the release of like six albums in two years just to get out of the contract (and retain rights over his work).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, he didn't like that they owned the trademark to the name Prince because it's his real name.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Also that Chapelle story to my knowledge is absolutely true so it wasn't like he had to change his personality. He can most definitely ball, he was an all-state point guard and his brother was incredible at basketball too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dude was a 5'2 point guard, he was balling like Muggsy Bouges out there.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Prince also believes in chemtrails, I liked him a lot more when I thought he was just the charming and eccentric kind of crazy and not actually crazy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Chemtrails is downright quaint compared to poo poo like crisis actors.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Dude was a 5'2 point guard, he was balling like Muggsy Bouges out there.

5'4 with the afro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kiimo posted:

5'4 with the afro.

Nah, at least 5'6.