Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

Thought about it, seemed like a visually large amount though. Gets ride of the little notch that grips the far end of the throttle tube, too.

Safety wire or grip glue. Can also just squish it on a bit more. 2mm seriously isn't much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009

Z3n posted:

Do you have a hand impact driver? Very useful in situations like this.

Worst case you order another rear caliper off ebay for 25 bucks.

Alright, I'll give that a shot first. Probably a useful tool to have anyways

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Z3n posted:

Safety wire or grip glue. Can also just squish it on a bit more. 2mm seriously isn't much.

:tipshat: Went ahead and carved them up, looks a lot better than I expected it to. What's this talk about grip glue? Hairspray all the way. I want my bike to smell faaaabulous

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

M42 posted:

:tipshat: Went ahead and carved them up, looks a lot better than I expected it to. What's this talk about grip glue? Hairspray all the way. I want my bike to smell faaaabulous

Super glue works too. Just don't way overdo it and superglue your throttle shut or something.

When you want the grips off just use WD40. Try not to get any on your paint~

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Marxalot posted:

When you want the grips off just use WD40. Try not to get any on your paint~

Why not? I've been wiping my DRZ down with a little WD after I wash it and haven't noticed anything bad.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Deeters posted:

Why not? I've been wiping my DRZ down with a little WD after I wash it and haven't noticed anything bad.

I know those are dirtbikes and all but yeesh that sounds like a bad idea.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
But it makes my tires so nice and shiny... :v:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Grimarest posted:

I suspect it's the same fucker who moved my bike earlier last week to park his van. Since then I bought a disk lock and he probably panicked when he couldn't move it and dropped it.

Nothing turns people into huge idiot assholes more than "My Parking :argh:"

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

revmoo posted:

I know those are dirtbikes and all but yeesh that sounds like a bad idea.

The WD40 site even mentions it not hurting paint. I always heard it suggested since it would make dirt easier to clean back off later.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Wd40 isn't a bad way to shine up plastics. Definitely wouldn't put it somewhere that I don't want slippery. Honda polish is the more expensive but probably a bit better option.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Most modern automotive paints are acrylic or urethane and not affected by petroleum products and most solvents anyways.

The gas station attendants here always try and shove a rag at me to wipe up drips on my tank and are always seemingly baffled by my insistence that I don't need one to wipe off the drop or two of gas on my tank.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

Most modern automotive paints are acrylic or urethane and not affected by petroleum products and most solvents anyways.

The gas station attendants here always try and shove a rag at me to wipe up drips on my tank and are always seemingly baffled by my insistence that I don't need one to wipe off the drop or two of gas on my tank.

My experience with petrol and modern cars leads me to disagree.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Quick question about dielectric grease - it's non-conducting, right? Is it possible to put too much on a sparkplug boot/hole, to the point where it interferes with the plug/coil contact?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yes. Dielectric grease is an insulator. Put the boot on and goop it around.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

At the MSF they made a really big deal about making sure the bike was in neutral before starting it. Once started the immediate next step was to put it in gear.
Do yall normally start in neutral or gear?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

compton rear end terry posted:

At the MSF they made a really big deal about making sure the bike was in neutral before starting it. Once started the immediate next step was to put it in gear.

I usually start in neutral since I let it warm up for a minute or so when first starting it. It's kind of by habit that I start it then put helmet and gloves on/get bluetooth setup, then get on and ride. If I stall it or something I don't bother putting it in neutral first, and sometimes if I made a quick stop to check gps or something I might not put it in neutral when starting either.

The MSF probably drills it into you so you don't start it in gear without realizing it then accidentally letting the clutch out getting on the bike or something like that.

Koruthaiolos fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 21, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Neutral. People that park in gear drive me crazy.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

alnilam posted:

Nothing turns people into huge idiot assholes more than "My Parking :argh:"

A few friends and I took a trip and stayed at a friends house. After we parked the bikes (street parking, mind you) a dude bolted out of his house in only a towel and yelled at us that that's where his Bronco goes and that we had to move them. Not a single other car was parked on the street on either side of the block.

(Not wanting to impact relations with our friend as we figured dude was already pretty uncool about things we moved the bikes.)

Also, if you want to stare into the mouth of madness, go to a meeting here in SF discussing whether or not to implement residential permit parking at a RIDICULOUS price of $100/car/year. You'd think such a "progressive" place would understand how distorted free street parking is in a place that's so space limited but nope, room full of old folks lighting themselves on fire screaming about taxes and ramming things down throats over paying less than a Netflix subscription for a place to keep their car.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 21, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Iirc it's something like, pulling the clutch lever doesn't actively disengage the plates, so if you try to start the bike while it's in gear you can potentially damage the clutch or get a weird lurch before the clutch plates unstick from each other. Obviously this is heavily dependent on how sticky your clutch is.

Personally it's a non-issue for me as I park in neutral, though if I stall on the road I won't bother shifting to neutral before hitting the starter.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

compton rear end terry posted:

My bike won't even start in gear, regardless of clutch position. Given the stiction problem with bike clutches it's a pretty sensible precaution.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If it's that bad how do you even shift? Or does it just lose in a ton of revs in the process of unsticking the clutch, but not enough to kill it once it's already started?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Wet clutches have drag. Pull your clutch in with the bike on the stand and put it in first, watch the rear wheel spin. Some bikes are worse than others... the Tuono I have now is known for clutch drag, it's really hard to get into neutral if you're not moving and when you drop it into first it pops more than any bike I've ridden.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

If it's that bad how do you even shift? Or does it just lose in a ton of revs in the process of unsticking the clutch, but not enough to kill it once it's already started?

I mean there's a cutoff that won't turn the starter motor if the bike's not in neutral (you can still bump start it but you can't use the starter).

BlackMK4 posted:

Wet clutches have drag. Pull your clutch in with the bike on the stand and put it in first, watch the rear wheel spin. Some bikes are worse than others... the Tuono I have now is known for clutch drag, it's really hard to get into neutral if you're not moving and when you drop it into first it pops more than any bike I've ridden.

Every single 4-stroke Aprilia is like that. You can actually get it into neutral pretty easily at a standstill but there's a definite knack (and a distinct lack of mechanical sympathy) required. I wonder if it's just to do with Aprilia's liking for heavy oil?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There is a jet you can replace that feeds the clutch pack with oil. I guess the 1st gen Tuono oil jet had a bigger opening in it and changing to the later 2nd gen oil jet helps a lot with getting into neutral. I suck at getting the thing into neutral at a stop, but it goes into neutral like a dream while moving so I've been doing that right before I stop.

At least you don't get false neutrals like you do on Ducs. :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 21, 2015

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

BlackMK4 posted:

People that park in gear drive me crazy.
You often need to do it if you live in a place where not every surface is 100% level.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

People park in neutral? Course I live in TN where flat surfaces are far and few between.

Z3n posted:

My new grips rubbed on the bar end a bit and caused my throttle to stick. I just squished it on some more. I figured it was just stretched a bit from when I put it on.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I park in gear and start in neutral. There is definite clutch drag, more so when cold, but the clutch drag is less when starting than it is when idling. So starting in gear with the clutch in isn't that big of a deal, just a bad habit. I started it in gear without holding the clutch in, without sitting on the bike once. :v: Karma! helped me catch it.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ola posted:

I park in gear and start in neutral. There is definite clutch drag, more so when cold, but the clutch drag is less when starting than it is when idling. So starting in gear with the clutch in isn't that big of a deal, just a bad habit. I started it in gear without holding the clutch in, without sitting on the bike once. :v: Karma! helped me catch it.

I have absolutely no recollection of this ever happening. :psyduck:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just after I had smeared on that exhaust goop (which didn't really work) outside the motorcycle gear shop in Belgium. I guess what happens in Belgium, stays in Belgium.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Small question: Do mirrors more or less use all the same mounting options?

My right one has gone all floppy, as looking at the bolt assembly isn't flush with the stalk and has some cracks in the housing. Most Kawasaki mirrors look like they just screw onto the handlebars, but do I need to worry about the bolt size? as I don't know whether to hunt for a 100% match or just get a new pair of whatever fits.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
they're kind of different - some M6, some M8, some M10, some 1/4-20, some left hand thread for the left mirror, etc.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Super Slash posted:

Small question: Do mirrors more or less use all the same mounting options?

My right one has gone all floppy, as looking at the bolt assembly isn't flush with the stalk and has some cracks in the housing. Most Kawasaki mirrors look like they just screw onto the handlebars, but do I need to worry about the bolt size? as I don't know whether to hunt for a 100% match or just get a new pair of whatever fits.

If you're shopping in person, just take one in to the store with you.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Ninja 300 non starting... Bike wasn't run for about 5 weeks. Extremely heavy rain in Houston and the bike is filthy.

Bike will turn over, gauge cluster sweeps, fuel pump makes noise, no FI codes.

So far I have swapped new plugs and drained the gas tank, but no dice. Bike runs for a second then dies.

Any ideas? I'll post a YouTube video soon.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Dead battery? Intake full of water?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Coydog posted:

Dead battery? Intake full of water?

Checked the air filter and it seemed ok. Battery wasn't dead until we cranked the bike 1 million times. Should I try and remove the air box entirely? I remember this being a bitch on a second gen 250.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What are the arguments people use against riding with a helmet or helmet laws in general? I realize that I've never actually heard them because I took the MSF, ride with people who aren't morons, and don't frequent forums where people don't see the value in helmets.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

They're heavy and will break your neck in a crash. They decrease your field of view. You ride more dangerously thinking you're invincible with gear on. If you're in a wreck it's better to be dead than paralyzed anyways. But most importantly: MY FREEDOM!

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

SquadronROE posted:

What are the arguments people use against riding with a helmet or helmet laws in general?
There can be no rational argument against wearing a helmet. Anyone who believes it's OK to ride a motorcycle without a helmet is an idiot.

That being said – and I know this is going to be confusing to a lot of people – I don't think there is any rational argument for helmet laws. Written laws are an application of force. The law says to do or not-do a thing, and if you violate the law, there will be some sort of consequence. If you resist the consequence, there is an escalation of force which eventually terminates in someone with a gun pointed at you (I don't wear helmet -> I get ticket; I don't pay ticket -> I get [some other police thing]; I resist detention or whatever -> cops want to shoot me). Anyone who believes that it's wrong to initiate force against a person to compel them doesn't believe that leaves any room for for-your-own-good laws. This means that while it's completely logical and intelligent to wear a helmet, and every biker who refuses to do so is a moron, it's also wrong to make them do it, because the only way to accomplish that is with the threat of force.

Laws should exist to aid in prosecuting people who commit actual criminal offenses that result in victims. Assaults, rapes, murders, theft and robbery, vandalism, that sort of thing.

My point is that it's entirely possible for something to be the thing you should definitely do, and still not deserve a law compelling you to do it.

quote:

I realize that I've never actually heard them because I took the MSF, ride with people who aren't morons, and don't frequent forums where people don't see the value in helmets.
I don't live in a helmet-law state, but most of the riders I encounter here are wearing full-face helmets. I rode without a helmet a couple times while my first one was still shipping, and I didn't like it very much. Too much noise, too much wind stressing out my eyes, and way too much danger. It's up to those of us who ride and know exactly why a helmet is a good idea to keep repeating that to the folks who don't wear one, and basically to shame them into doing it. It's not a realm where the law should intervene.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's a sad indictment of your culture that you think the primary/only purpose of law is to punish criminals.

People are idiots, to such an extent that the obvious risk of death that comes from riding without a helmet is not enough to deter them from doing so while the prospect of a monetary fine is.

I am aware that the notion of protecting people from themselves can be taken too far, but consider that when some lidless squid distributes himself all over the side of your mother's car, even if she's not at fault she's going to be a lot more shaken up about it if he's dead (to say nothing of his friends and family). Helmet laws are not just about the rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Frosty- posted:

There can be no rational argument against wearing a helmet. Anyone who believes it's OK to ride a motorcycle without a helmet is an idiot.

That being said – and I know this is going to be confusing to a lot of people – I don't think there is any rational argument for helmet laws. Written laws are an application of force. The law says to do or not-do a thing, and if you violate the law, there will be some sort of consequence. If you resist the consequence, there is an escalation of force which eventually terminates in someone with a gun pointed at you (I don't wear helmet -> I get ticket; I don't pay ticket -> I get [some other police thing]; I resist detention or whatever -> cops want to shoot me). Anyone who believes that it's wrong to initiate force against a person to compel them doesn't believe that leaves any room for for-your-own-good laws. This means that while it's completely logical and intelligent to wear a helmet, and every biker who refuses to do so is a moron, it's also wrong to make them do it, because the only way to accomplish that is with the threat of force.

Laws should exist to aid in prosecuting people who commit actual criminal offenses that result in victims. Assaults, rapes, murders, theft and robbery, vandalism, that sort of thing.

My point is that it's entirely possible for something to be the thing you should definitely do, and still not deserve a law compelling you to do it.
I don't live in a helmet-law state, but most of the riders I encounter here are wearing full-face helmets. I rode without a helmet a couple times while my first one was still shipping, and I didn't like it very much. Too much noise, too much wind stressing out my eyes, and way too much danger. It's up to those of us who ride and know exactly why a helmet is a good idea to keep repeating that to the folks who don't wear one, and basically to shame them into doing it. It's not a realm where the law should intervene.

Does living in a helmet-law state make insurance go up or down?

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's a sad indictment of your culture that you think the primary/only purpose of law is to punish criminals.

People are idiots, to such an extent that the obvious risk of death that comes from riding without a helmet is not enough to deter them from doing so while the prospect of a monetary fine is.

I am aware that the notion of protecting people from themselves can be taken too far, but consider that when some lidless squid distributes himself all over the side of your mother's car, even if she's not at fault she's going to be a lot more shaken up about it if he's dead (to say nothing of his friends and family). Helmet laws are not just about the rider.

Yep. Laws also exist to help compel people to do safe things. Laws form part of the moral fabric of society. Not to the same extent that, say, family values do, but they're a part of it.

Additionally they help to guarantee a specific standard is held across a broad group. Like states that have environmental inspections. The idea there isn't to punish people who have bad cars, but to guarantee that currently driving cars are held to a certain modern standard. In theory, it provides a handy yearly or bi-yearly checkpoint to make sure that things are still up to spec. Granted, the implicit threat is that you will get fined if it's not up to spec - but it's harder to broadly apply positive reinforcement than negative.

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 23, 2015