Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jagchosis posted:

Can you please quote this article or something, I can't get it to load and am instead getting advertisements for some kind of international money laundering service. That said I'm pretty sure Assange is a rapist I mean look at him

It's a load of uncited nonsense about how Assange is really a nice guy and those charges were all made up or something because the Pentagon. Basically it's a lot of strawmen that were thoroughly debunked at the time of the original scandal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
From 2008-2013 Felicity was the Senior Advisor to Australian Greens Senator Scott Ludlam, who held the Communications portfolio and successfully fought data retention and internet censorship proposals, as well as supporting Australian citizen Julian Assange. Prior to this she headed the UN Office for the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom, was a policy adviser at the UN Development Fund for Women and at Greenpeace International.

http://www.thoughtworks.com/profiles/felicity-ruby

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Having qualifications doesn't prevent you from being wrong about poo poo.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
It was a pretty obvious smear campaign.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It is perfectly normal for innocent people to rant about feminism gone mad when accused of rape.

Oh poo poo what if this means Assange is part of the anti-Asssnge smear campaign? Hold on, fervently googling to see if there's a shoddy essay papering over this, can't let myself believe a bad thing about someone I've put on team good guy because we share an ideology.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

In other news, IS put out a new video that shows them executing prisoners accused of spying in Ninevah, Iraq by:

1. Loading prisoners into a locked car and then shooting it with an RPG
2. Lowering a cage full of prisoners into a pool and filming them with GoPros as they drown
3. Chaining prisoners together at the neck with detcord, then blowing them up.

Obviously I'm not loving linking to this, but holy loving poo poo.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

suboptimal posted:

In other news, IS put out a new video that shows them executing prisoners accused of spying in Ninevah, Iraq by:

2. Lowering a cage full of prisoners into a pool and filming them with GoPros as they drown

Man I can't wait for these to be rendered in the next super-topical CoD game. :v:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lawman 0 posted:

Man I can't wait for these to be rendered in the next super-topical CoD game. :v:

Press F to activate GoPro.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

suboptimal posted:

ISIS is mostly made of people traumatized by Itchy and Scratchy isn't it?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

suboptimal posted:

I can't find the videos but I found a ton of screecaps... :psyduck:. I found another one showing them pushing a guy off a tower because they thought he was gay. What the gently caress.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm beginning to think ISIS consists of bad people.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Phlegmish posted:

I'm beginning to think ISIS consists of bad people.

I scrolled through planning to make this exact post.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

"I mean, Ameer, our flag has a sword on it and everything, and we are pretty violent. Are...are we the infidels?"

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm pretty sure a good chunk of ISIS members know that they're not very religiously justified, they just care more about feeling powerful than whether or not they're good Muslims. Obviously not all, but the idea that they all think this ridiculous bullshit is morally correct is just naive.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

suboptimal posted:

In other news, ISIS reenacts Right Wing wet dreams.

Seriously, something's gotta give eventually.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

I think this is life imitating art, I don't think CoD has anything more to contribute.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Think of the psychological scars that are imprinted writ large on a society that grows up with an entire generation experiencing poo poo like this. It's like the Congo.

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

Sergg posted:

Think of the psychological scars that are imprinted writ large on a society that grows up with an entire generation experiencing poo poo like this. It's like the Congo.

Getting to know people who variously grew up in violence-torn Armenia, Croatia, Slovenia, and other places really opened my eyes with respect to things that occurred while I was alive and breathing but completely unaware of. In most cases they are guys my age whose worldview has been shaped by war and by a lack of belief, as teens, that they may live until next week. Everyone should meet first-hand war survivors of their own age, it tempers the mind.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ISIS has learnt the media gets pretty bored of head chopping, so they have to up the ante of perverted sadism in their videos in an attempt to stay in the news. Give them time and their videos will be indistinguishable from the Saw movies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

ISIS has learnt the media gets pretty bored of head chopping, so they have to up the ante of perverted sadism in their videos in an attempt to stay in the news. Give them time and their videos will be indistinguishable from the Saw movies.

Human Centipede 4 will be a documentary.

... please tell me this hasn't already happened.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I figured someone would post this or reference it - not the most reliable source but CNN and others are reporting that the Australian who took his family to join the caliphate and posed with his son holding a severed head has been killed in an airstrike. Makes you feel better about hearing/seeing horrible atrocities today.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/23/asia/australia-isis-sharrouf-elomar-killed/index.html

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

I can hear the trailer now.

Hot Teen #1: C'mon, it's just a little hiking trip.
Hot Teen #2: Where are we going, anyways?
Hot Teen #1: Oh, you know...just over the border into Syria.
Hot Teen #3: Wait, isn't that pretty dangerous?

Stutter cut to black.

From the twisted mind of Rob Zombie...

Fangoria raves, "The freshest take on horror I've seen in a long, long time..."

And it's a found footage movie, of course.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

the idea that they all think this ridiculous bullshit is morally correct is just naive.

I seriously lol'd reading this post (who's naive?). I spent a lot of time talking to dudes like this and they totally believe it's morally correct and all in keeping with Islam. And every one of them can back it up with scripture, verse, and examples from Muhammed's campaigns.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

spacetoaster posted:

I seriously lol'd reading this post (who's naive?). I spent a lot of time talking to dudes like this and they totally believe it's morally correct and all in keeping with Islam. And every one of them can back it up with scripture, verse, and examples from Muhammed's campaigns.

Im really interested in reading scripture or historical documents where muhammed murdered prisoners of war or terrorized people just for shits and giggles.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacetoaster posted:

ah yes the famous scripture where Muhammad put three people in a car and blew them away with RPGs

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
It was one of the disputed hadiths

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fizzil posted:

Im really interested in reading scripture or historical documents where muhammed murdered prisoners of war

I was about to mention the Qurayza tribe, but I looked it up and the legal situation was technically carrying out a death sentence imposed by a neutral arbitrator. It would still probably be considered genocide if it was done today, assuming it really did happen according to the traditional account.

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Banu_Qurayza

quote:

or terrorized people just for shits and giggles.

ISIS people probably rationalize that none of what they're doing is just for shits and giggles.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

Nothing is universal. Some do, but it's pretty easy to break down their little facade of Islamic legitimacy and get them to start ranting about western propaganda and all the kinds of mental backflips that are required to make ISIS into heroic victimized crusaders rather than a middle eastern cartel. But there's other kinds as well. I've seen guys who only cared about getting sex slaves, and ISIS recruiters catch on and advertise to them specifically about that. There's also been a lot of prisoners who ran into psychopaths who were made into jailers that were the kid who tortured animals when he was younger and just wanted to express his depraved mind in an environment that allows it. That schizophrenic dude from Australia was one of those. ISIS accepts them all with open arms, even the ones who couldn't tell you who Mohammed was. That can be taught later. There's definitely some who cling desperately to the idea that ISIS are bringing about real Islam, but there's also plenty who couldn't give less of a gently caress about that, including, arguably, their leaders.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite example was when shami witness was claiming the reports about yazidi sex slaves were a propaganda campaign to make ISIS look bad. How could anyone believe something like that, ISIS would never do that because they're good Muslims, etc. Then ISIS admitted it in Dabiq and found some obscure sentence in the Quran to justify it, and without missing a beat, shami was defending their right to do it. I went round and round with that piece of poo poo.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I wonder if the sex-motivated ones realize that this isn't going to be the sultan's harem, on silks cushions covered in lounging virgins. They get the privilege of paying to rape some poor woman on a filthy mattress in the open air, in line behind a hundred of the Caliph's finest. It's hard to believe that someone could be so motivated by sex that they wouldn't stay at home and just hire a prostitute if they knew the truth.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Its not about the sex. The blood stained mattress with the screaming woman is a plus.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheBalor posted:

I wonder if the sex-motivated ones realize that this isn't going to be the sultan's harem, on silks cushions covered in lounging virgins. They get the privilege of paying to rape some poor woman on a filthy mattress in the open air, in line behind a hundred of the Caliph's finest. It's hard to believe that someone could be so motivated by sex that they wouldn't stay at home and just hire a prostitute if they knew the truth.

Some want wives out of the deal, and ISIS can offer that too.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
In Libya, UN envoys are meeting with armed groups to promote a drafted peace agreement. This has coincided with municipal authorities in Western Libya agreeing to ceasefires and other methods of de-escalation. However, a brigade of Islamist militants recently broke off from the main force that controls Tripoli in rejection of peace talks. There's also of course ISIS, which has been under heavy assault by a coalition of rival Islamist militias in Derna, and subjected to heavy air strikes by the Libyan Dawn (Tripoli) in Sirte.

edit: According to the The Mujahedeen Council of Derna ISIS has been run out of all but the Eastern Fataeh district of Derna

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 23, 2015

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

spacetoaster posted:

Didn't you find it weird that so many ahadith are about how moms shouldn't bother their adolescent sons when they are playing FIFA 15?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
https://twitter.com/zaidbenjamin/status/613404178032009216

Zaid Benjamin posted:

#Iraq | #ISIL Spokesman Adnani offers a ceasefire with all groups in #Syria #Libya "Leave us to fight the crusaders & the Zionists"

If that is accurate that is loving hilarious. We will probably be hearing about this for ages from YPG videos even if it isn't true.

quote:

#Iraq | #ISIL Spokesman Adnani says #Obama is the first leader in the history to use the term "Tactical setback" "We promise you more"

:irony:

https://twitter.com/CizireCanton/status/613391262025170945

YPG is closing the salient they created to the South of Tal Abyad.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 24, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
In some good news, the Kurds/FSA are continuing to move south, and are probably going to have the entire M4 highway up to Lake Assad completely under Kurdish/FSA control very soon.

In bad news, everyone's already discussed the fact that ISIL has decided the movie Saw is a useful documentary. I really don't have anything else to say other than "here's why ISIL are the bad guys, please keep bombing them thank you very much".:fuckoff:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
ISIS is exactly the sort of group that should not be given a ceasefire, assuming that's real.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

fade5 posted:

In some good news, the Kurds/FSA are continuing to move south, and are probably going to have the entire M4 highway up to Lake Assad completely under Kurdish/FSA control very soon.

In bad news, everyone's already discussed the fact that ISIL has decided the movie Saw is a useful documentary. I really don't have anything else to say other than "here's why ISIL are the bad guys, please keep bombing them thank you very much".:fuckoff:

They also pushed south to seize the M4 just to the east of that map.

Edit: or no, the map shows that, it just isn't indicated with an arrow. whoops :blush:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Torpor posted:

https://twitter.com/zaidbenjamin/status/613404178032009216

If that is accurate that is loving hilarious. We will probably be hearing about this for ages from YPG videos even if it isn't true.

:irony:

https://twitter.com/CizireCanton/status/613391262025170945

YPG is closing the salient they created to the South of Tal Abyad.

Summary of the speech given by Adnani. Sounds more like a call for submission than a ceasefire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

It was one of the disputed hadiths

I didn't think Ibn Ishaq was in dispute.

Fizzil posted:

Im really interested in reading scripture or historical documents where muhammed murdered prisoners of war or terrorized people just for shits and giggles.

lol, so you agree that he murdered them though?

Mans posted:

ah yes the famous scripture where Muhammad put three people in a car and blew them away with RPGs

Dilkington posted:

Didn't you find it weird that so many ahadith are about how moms shouldn't bother their adolescent sons when they are playing FIFA 15?

Looks like I struck a nerve. Why do you guys feel so compelled to defend these guys?

• Locked thread