Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Require More Fire posted:

AFAIK you can't order the Moto metal bands on their own.

You can, they are just pricey.

http://www.motorola.com/us/wearables/watch/moto-360-bands/moto-360-metal-bands/moto360-bands-metal.html

I'm not sure the pebble band has anything to do with the cracked back. I've never changed the band on mine from the original leather one and I have a cracked back (that I'll eventually get around to RMAing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Is there a way to get Fit/Moto Heartrate to log my HR after it takes it automatically?

Every now and then I take the watch off and can see the HR sensor going and I wonder where the hell it'd be logging that information. (unless it's purely tied to moto active minutes)

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

bull3964 posted:

You can, they are just pricey.

http://www.motorola.com/us/wearables/watch/moto-360-bands/moto-360-metal-bands/moto360-bands-metal.html

I'm not sure the pebble band has anything to do with the cracked back. I've never changed the band on mine from the original leather one and I have a cracked back (that I'll eventually get around to RMAing.)

:lol: Yeah I'm not paying that for a band, that's almost as much as I got the watch for. Maybe I'll just give the Pebble band a try.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:
For what it's worth, I've been using the pebble steel band on mine for a few months now without a cracked back.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Thermopyle posted:

8am to 2am with 39 percent battery left on my 360.

Would have easily been dead before 5.1.1.

Or maybe just having a particularly good day and it doesn't have anything to do with the OS update...

Are you running with ambient mode on? I found that I was getting an estimated 25+ hours of battery life before the update, so I switched on ambient and lost a few hours from that total. Now, with 5.1.1 and ambient mode, I'm getting closer to 18 hours.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
Is there any way to keep one of your phone apps from installing it's companion app on your wear device?

I'd really like to remove Unified Remote.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Kakairo posted:

Are you running with ambient mode on? I found that I was getting an estimated 25+ hours of battery life before the update, so I switched on ambient and lost a few hours from that total. Now, with 5.1.1 and ambient mode, I'm getting closer to 18 hours.

No. I don't really see the point of ambient mode.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

No. I don't really see the point of ambient mode.

I didn't either, but it's convenient for a quick glance at the time. I'll turn it off again to see what happens to battery life (and if I can live without it).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

You don't ever look at your watch without moving your wrist much? It's funny how different everyone's experiences are.

I guess it makes more sense if you never wore a watch before smartwatches, but I've been wearing one every day since I was about 10 years old.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Moto 360 chews through battery like nuts during updates. Charged it up to 100, updated, by the time it finished updating everything and reconnecting to the phone it was below 60%, have to recharge the thing to install the second update. :psyduck:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Reverse Centaur posted:

You don't ever look at your watch without moving your wrist much? It's funny how different everyone's experiences are.

I guess it makes more sense if you never wore a watch before smartwatches, but I've been wearing one every day since I was about 10 years old.

Maybe once a day I find the watch isn't lit up when I want to look at it.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

I wore watches every day for over 15 years, so I'm used to very fast glances without much motion needed. I'm not always twisting my wrist significantly.

Anyway, time to experiment with ambient off today.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Over the last few days, my LG G Watch has developed a really annoying behavior. After removing it from the charger, it immediately goes to the "shutting down" screen. There's no way I know of to cancel that and no way to get it to start up again except to put it back on the charger long enough for it to start booting.

Any ideas?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've just gotten used to doing a more expressive motion to get my watch to light up. It's not really a huge deal, and doubles the battery life.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR
Anyone notice that the Android Wear 5.1.1 OS update was downloaded automatically ?

I had my Play Store setting to not automatically update - but it looks like the Android Wear 5.1.1 update was downloaded automatically. I was pretty happy to get it but I was kind of hoping to do it over a WiFi connection instead of my cell phone's data connection.

When I got home later in the day, there was an update to the Android Wear app itself in the Play Store. I did to that app update but my Moto 360 was updated while I was at work.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Kakairo posted:

I wore watches every day for over 15 years, so I'm used to very fast glances without much motion needed. I'm not always twisting my wrist significantly.

Anyway, time to experiment with ambient off today.

So doesn't that mean you're staring at a black screen a lot without ambient mode? It did for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm not sure if time-spent-wearing-regular-watches is a useful metric in this discussion, but I wore a regular watch all day long for at least 15 years. Then I stopped for 10 years. Then I got a 360 a couple months ago.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

So doesn't that mean you're staring at a black screen a lot without ambient mode? It did for me.

I misunderstood you the first time (I blame posting before my morning coffee), I think we're on the same page. I do glance at my watch often without much wrist movement, so I see the blank screen a lot when ambient mode is off. In fact, it bugged me enough today that I turned it back on.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure if time-spent-wearing-regular-watches is a useful metric in this discussion, but I wore a regular watch all day long for at least 15 years. Then I stopped for 10 years. Then I got a 360 a couple months ago.

I figured maybe people that are new to wrist watches or don't rely on them for time aren't as reliant on it being on when they look, and have learned from the start to make an exaggerated movement. The difference between 5 or 10 years doesn't matter much, just habits.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah, I get why it might be useful, I'm just not sure it is.

I don't feel like I would have been bothered by non-ambient mode even if I had never stopped wearing watches, but I can't be sure about that either.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Since my 360 is out for repair I started to notice how nice a wristwatch is. I don't want to pull out my phone just to check the time dammit!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

Since my 360 is out for repair I started to notice how nice a wristwatch is. I don't want to pull out my phone just to check the time dammit!

Something that was common knowledge in 1990 has been rediscovered! This is like how the cure for scurvy was known in the eighteenth century and lost in the nineteenth only to be learned again in the twentieth.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
But now I can also draw a poop emoji on my watch! Worth the couple hundred years wait!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I'm amazed how much better the Moto360 has become since this latest update. I'm also getting no lower than 68% from a full day's (11 hour) use.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
I got the 5.1.1 update yesterday, and the small UI tweaks are really nice. Like how you can just tap the notification mode that you want instead of having to cycle through them, or the new formatting of appointment reminders.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Stabbing Spork posted:

I got the 5.1.1 update yesterday, and the small UI tweaks are really nice. Like how you can just tap the notification mode that you want instead of having to cycle through them, or the new formatting of appointment reminders.

Haven't got the update yet - still running 5.0.2.

Anybody got an idea as to when it'll roll out in Europe?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Kidney Stone posted:

Haven't got the update yet - still running 5.0.2.

Anybody got an idea as to when it'll roll out in Europe?

I got it a few days ago in the UK.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I got it Tuesday in New Zealand

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

The 360 closeout has rolled through Costco, BestBuy, and now on to Woot for 149-179 depending on the band: http://www.woot.com/offers/motorola-moto-360-smart-watches

I just got the Stainless Band one because with the new update it actually looks like a reasonable buy. North of $200 without full watch aesthetics (not round, no metal band, etc) was not going to fly with me.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Moto360 here

The 5.1.1 update is fine. But in older versions of the thing, it straight up brought you the Google Now voice prompt when you tapped the screen. This new version adds a few menus (for apps and contacts) that you gotta swipe through before you get to that prompt.

I'm a forgetful person, so immediate access to Google Now to (e.g.) set reminders was wonderful. You can try "OK Google," but it's less reliable than a tap on the screen.

I'll suck it up, but I'd love a way to either roll back the update; or, better, to customize what tap/tap-hold/etc do.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah I agree it's a step back for voice control, which I use a lot for sending texts.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also holding the button down used to go direct to settings but now takes you to the app launcher which can be accessed with a simple screen tap. So that's worthless now as well.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Is there a way to save a short message to send from your watch? Like, you know the short text message templates your watch suggests ("Any news?", "Congratulations!" etc etc), well can I write my own and save it for later use?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Is there a way to save a short message to send from your watch? Like, you know the short text message templates your watch suggests ("Any news?", "Congratulations!" etc etc), well can I write my own and save it for later use?

You can in the app itself, but as I don't have a watch I don't know if that comes over.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Welp i've got my 360 back. Looks as good as new! Might be because they just put a new one on the old strap and called it a day.
But i've gotten these neat pictures of the damage:

Looks a lot like water damage on this waterproof watch!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

It's not waterproof. It's water-resistant.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
The Moto 360 is now officially $150 so it's probably the one to buy right now, I just don't think I can bring myself with an update around the corner.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Stainless 360 showed up. If you are not a twig with nerd arms it actually looks like a reasonable timepiece. It downloaded one update, ran... then another, and ran again... so it took some time to actually get it to 5.1.1 from out of the box.

Take it to a jeweler to add and remove links though. The band uses both sleeves and rods for linkage which makes it a bit complicated if you don't have the right tools. The jeweler thought it was pretty neat for being some gizmo.

I will see what it does for me in terms of utility and battery life come tomorrow, but for $179 it feels a reasonable price for pretty nice looking toy. I would never have paid $300 for this though as a first gen product.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

I got my Moto 360 from Woot and enjoy it, but with the new discount it looks like everyone can get "new version is coming" prices even lower than I did. Slickdeals has a code for 20% the cost. MOTOMAKERAFTAB (source: http://slickdeals.net/f/7953909-motorola-moto-360-smartwatch-for-android-devices-from-120-free-shipping)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Been messing around with watchfaces this afternoon and I'm really liking this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=wmwatch.badappsquartz_fr&hl=en

It looks particularly authentic on my black 360. The black surround and text looks just like you'd expect them to on a non-smartwatch. The surrounding text is touchable to open a stopwatch, calendar, health, etc.

It's not your typical classy looking thing, but its neat.

Has anyone come across a watchface that pulls data from forecast.io?