Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Transmodiar posted:

Why not just ask Harmon on Twitter when he turns it back on? It's not like the dude is shy about sharing his opinions.

Does he still have his Tumblr? A fan once asked him a few years ago to do an analysis of an ep using his circle and he made a fairly detailed one out of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, so you could probably ask there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

Sefer posted:

I remember that during season 3 he talked about making an effort to show them away from campus more, so that they could eventually transition to life outside of school and have that seem natural. I always thought it was a bit odd that he didn't try that out instead of doubling down on Greendale being the setting in season 5.

I think I remember that he said he wanted to reassure the audience after season four that things were back to normal. I imagine the reduced budget prevented many new sets or location shoots, anyway.

Still, I agree it was a miscalculation. He should have written season six as the final, for real last season. Does he really think this show would be well served by a movie? 30 minutes without commercials was too long.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Argue posted:

Does he still have his Tumblr? A fan once asked him a few years ago to do an analysis of an ep using his circle and he made a fairly detailed one out of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, so you could probably ask there.

Do you have a link to this? Sounds pretty interesting.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Beeez posted:

Do you have a link to this? Sounds pretty interesting.

Here we go: http://danharmon.tumblr.com/post/57889437682/could-you-explain-a-particular-community-episode

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

That's pretty amazing. I want him to write a book of stuff like this. :allears:

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Thanks.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Steve Vader posted:

Alison Brie is going to star in and executive produce a show on TV Land about elementary school teachers. It features Key & Peele showrunners and a Chicago improv group called The Katydids because everybody in the group is named some form of Kate.

TV Land. That's not the best sign.

But they will plug this at Comic-Con. It is called Teachers.

“Teachers” revolves around six elementary school teachers who are trying to mold the minds and lives of America’s youth, even though they don’t really seem to have their own lives together at all. From refusing to read fairytales because “sometimes Prince Charming wants to date other people” to hitting on the resident “hot dad,” these teachers are certainly changing the world, one student at a time. The series stars improv group The Katydids - Caitlin Barlow, Katy Colloton, Cate Freedman, Kate Lambert, Katie O’Brien and Katie Thomas – who also wrote and starred in the web hit that the TV series is based on. In addition to writing for and starring in “Teachers,” they will also serve as executive producers alongside Alison Brie (“Community”) and showrunners Ian Roberts and Jay Martel (“Key and Peele”).

Is this based on a youtube series. Cause if it is, it was hilarious.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

prefect posted:

That's pretty amazing. I want him to write a book of stuff like this. :allears:
He did, but it got caught in publisher hell despite not having a publisher.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Nearly done re-watching season 3.

Curriculum Unavailable is one of the funniest episodes ever. It's a brilliant sequel of sorts to Paradigms of Human Memory, and the asylum scene is the best, with its quickfire references to dozens of previous episodes, and Garrett's "real" voice. John Hodgman is also great as the shrink.

And then we have the gag with Garrett as a Minority Report pre-cog. :h:

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Hedrigall posted:

Nearly done re-watching season 3.

Curriculum Unavailable is one of the funniest episodes ever. It's a brilliant sequel of sorts to Paradigms of Human Memory, and the asylum scene is the best, with its quickfire references to dozens of previous episodes, and Garrett's "real" voice. John Hodgman is also great as the shrink.

And then we have the gag with Garrett as a Minority Report pre-cog. :h:

Troy's "*GASP*... I parked by a meter. Did anyone else park by a meter? .. Wait, what?" is one of the top five Community moments.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress the video game episode immediately after is terrible though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yes62BK2OQ

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The only two bad things about the video game episode are: one, it originally aired in the middle of the Chang Dynasty arc because it took so long to produce, which is easily fixed on rewatch; and two, the lack of the original emotional end tag between Pierce and Abed , which is Chevy's fault.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

the lack of the original emotional end tag between Pierce and Abed , which is Chevy's fault.

This sounds really familiar. Details?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

El Tortuga posted:

This sounds really familiar. Details?

Here's Harmon's take on it:

quote:

He [Chevy] refused to do the "tag" for the Digital Estate Planning episode (the 8 bit video game episode). In the scripted tag, Abed comes to Pierce with the thumb drive he took, and says "Pierce, I've been able to adjust some of the code for your Dad's video game and I've made a version I think you might like better." He puts the thumb drive into a laptop in front of Pierce. We cut to the laptop screen, where we see Pierce's avatar on a front lawn with the giant floating head of Cornelius. Every time Pierce presses the space bar, his avatar throws a baseball to his father's head, which gives him a thousand points and a "great job, son!" Pierce presses the space bar a few times, pauses, then leans over and embraces Abed and we fade to black. When Adam Countee pitched that tag, tears instantly rolled down my cheeks, and in point of fact, my eyes are getting watery describing it to you. It was the most important part of the episode and possibly one of the most important moments of the season. I was very upset to hear that it wasn't shot because someone didn't feel like shooting it, especially since it was literally the last day of shooting, which meant we'd never be able to pick it up. I regret nothing about how upset I got. My job was to care about my show.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/yne9x/i_am_dan_harmon_creator_of_community_writer_of/

I agree with Harmon that the tag is very important for Pierce's character. It puts a punctuation mark on both the arc with his father and his descent into villany in the second season by showing why the group is so important to him. I never liked how his leaving the group was brushed over in the first episode of third season and in an alternative canon I can see the video game episode marking Pierce's true reconciliation with the group by their helping him confront his father (and kill him) and then putting the ghost of his father to rest.

On a happier note: the fan game Hawkthorne, which is an ongoing project to recreate the game from the episode, produced the original tag. Unfortunately, I think the download is expired. But here's the thread anyway, which includes Megan Ganz's reaction.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 23, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also, "I guess there's no hug button."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I suppose you're wondering why I recorded myself gasping for breath and dying?

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

It bugs me the voice actor for that wasn't the actor who played him in the gay episode.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

TequilaJesus posted:

It bugs me the voice actor for that wasn't the actor who played him in the gay episode.

I believe it actually is.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I believe it actually is.

Well I believe your avatar is ugly!

(Imdb agrees with you.)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Aaand finished season 3 rewatch. Ah, I love that season, one or two poor episodes aside. Also it's unsettling how dark it gets at points.

Now to do what I've been putting off for years: buy season 4 on DVD.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Aaand finished season 3 rewatch. Ah, I love that season, one or two poor episodes aside. Also it's unsettling how dark it gets at points.

Now to do what I've been putting off for years: buy season 4 on DVD.

Why not just stop there?

Season 3 ends with a strong sense of closure and is a better finale for the characters than everything that followed. Why keep watching, especially when it's to buy such a dull, forced season.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I liked season 5 and 6 and I want to rewatch those I guess :S

And I'm a completionist so I couldn't just skip season 4.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

And I'm a completionist so I couldn't just skip season 4.

You're like a battered wife who sticks with her husband for the kids. Just let it go. The fourth season never happened and the kids will be better off if you two separate.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Irish Joe posted:

You're like a battered wife who sticks with her husband for the kids. Just let it go. The fourth season never happened and the kids will be better off if you two separate.

I was doing a rewatch and stalled out during season 4. I wasn't really aware of the Harmondrama the first time I watched it, but it still just didn't feel right back then. I wish I could explain it better, though. "I don't like it now" isn't enough.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I liked Season 4. It's still miles better than some of the other shite on TV at that time.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I've tried getting through season four a few times but it's awful and aside from a few moments, it's unwatchable. Skip it. The only decent episode is the body switching one that Jim Rash wrote and even that one isn't great.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I think I skipped the puppet episode last time I tried to watch it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I still haven't watched the puppet episode all the way through.

The best episode of season 4 is Paranormal Parentage, if only for the Do The Right Thing joke.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I never slept with the great Eartha Kitt.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I am one of those goons who think that the fourth season was "OK", and even I can't watch the puppet episode.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I saw the preview for the puppet episode and I knew Community was dead and had been for some time

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Puppet episode was good for one reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRT1XXa2AEg

It's catchy as hell.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

I was wondering if you'd show up to post this again. There had been way too much people enjoying Community in this thread.

Season 4 ain't as good as the rest of Community, but it's still better than most other current network television. There's also the Halloween episode, which isn't half bad. And the body-swap episode, which you can only say isn't good if you're actively trolling and sticking your fingers in your ears.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

It's catchy as hell.

I usually agree with you, Tank, but that song makes me cringe.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's catchy as hell.

:barf:

El Tortuga posted:

I was wondering if you'd show up to post this again. There had been way too much people enjoying Community in this thread.

Season 4 ain't as good as the rest of Community, but it's still better than most other current network television. There's also the Halloween episode, which isn't half bad. And the body-swap episode, which you can only say isn't good if you're actively trolling and sticking your fingers in your ears.

I'm glad I don't watch network television if this is the case.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The puppet episode was great.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

This is the best musical number in Community:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxi4-mzctRQ

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Season 4 was Community written by fanfic writers. If you are comfortable with a generic sitcom that tries to pretend that it is trying to do interesting storytelling while putting very little effort into pulling it off, go ahead and watch it.

The structure and character motivations and voices are all over the place, and it's clear that everyone went home at 5pm and settled for Modern Family level jokes. That means there are occasionally good jokes, they were professional TV writers after all, but any special quality the show had was completely washed away.

Skip it. It's not Community, it's generic sitcom x4218 with the characters from Community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Klungar posted:

This is the best musical number in Community:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxi4-mzctRQ

My favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSNwmqY9cCU

• Locked thread