Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

PantsFreeZone posted:

Actually, you'll get more snitches. Min Sec has a higher % of Ex-Law Enforcement and Snitch traits. But if every prisoner is Min Sec, you probably won't have to worry about them getting got.

Mkay, with that said, how do I make sure Visiting Hours goes off without a hitch? Last I tried, I don't think I got any visitors for the prisoners, even with a good amount of tables and the proper room.

Other problems include prisoners not going to the canteens during Eating time and prisoners not even going to the Infirmary if they got injured. If it's all Logistics-based, then fine.

However, I could say that I'm doing good with the other programs, even though it'll be a while before I get competent and qualified prisoners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Rooms not being utilized is 9 times out of 10 an issue with the path. Make sure you're not unintentionally blocking the area off with staff only zones or something of that nature.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Last I checked, I used regular-rear end doors. So next run, I'll make wide pathways to compensate for possible pathing errors. Though, with the canteen, after I made sure every cell had the food distribution thing in Logistics, I got 'em fed. But for the other things, yes, I'll make paths.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

widespread posted:

Mkay, with that said, how do I make sure Visiting Hours goes off without a hitch? Last I tried, I don't think I got any visitors for the prisoners, even with a good amount of tables and the proper room.

Other problems include prisoners not going to the canteens during Eating time and prisoners not even going to the Infirmary if they got injured. If it's all Logistics-based, then fine.

However, I could say that I'm doing good with the other programs, even though it'll be a while before I get competent and qualified prisoners.

There are times where the game's logic breaks. (Alpha game) You might need to save and reload.

Otherwise, as stated before, pathing is the typical problem. There can be no escape routes or holes in your security and prisoners need to be able to find a route to and fro without deployment problems (ie: if you set deployment for a hallway as Max, Min can't pass through it.)

As far as visitation and parole, prisoners head for those automatically regardless of time or situation.

One last thought, have you set your REGIME and your PROGRAMS properly?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

PantsFreeZone posted:

One last thought, have you set your REGIME and your PROGRAMS properly?

Yes. Though I might have misinterpreted WORK in the REGIME. I'm thinking it's all the work and work-related programs like qualifier stuff. HOWEVER, I think I need to have hour-long blocks of things to ensure proper scheduling.

As far as PROGRAMS go, I think have. Had to make sure I activated the parole thing beforehand. But for whatever reason, I can't do the Carpentry Apprenticeship without getting the "ALL ROOMS BOOKED" error, despite it only needing a Carpenter's Table and qualified prisoners. Is that another word for "get qualified prisoners" or...?

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

widespread posted:

Yes. Though I might have misinterpreted WORK in the REGIME. I'm thinking it's all the work and work-related programs like qualifier stuff. HOWEVER, I think I need to have hour-long blocks of things to ensure proper scheduling.

As far as PROGRAMS go, I think have. Had to make sure I activated the parole thing beforehand. But for whatever reason, I can't do the Carpentry Apprenticeship without getting the "ALL ROOMS BOOKED" error, despite it only needing a Carpenter's Table and qualified prisoners. Is that another word for "get qualified prisoners" or...?

How long is your WORK block? I usually have at least 6 hours in a row without any breakup because things like Workshop Safety and Education require multiple hours. I think Spiritual Guidance and AA also need multiple hours.

Another thing to remember is that Workshop and Carpentry reform programs require a Foreman to teach them, so in my 6 hour WORK block I get 2 Workshop classes and 1 Carpentry.

EDIT: For clarification: Make sure you have at least 4 hours of WORK (equates to 1 Workshop Class and 1 Carpentry course) blocked out, your Foreman can reach your Workshops, you have enough Workshops for training and prisoners who have passed and that when you set the programs you do 1 then the other until you read ALL ROOMS BOOKED.

Here's my REGIME setup (I don't recommend copying it because I have completely separate sections for my SEC levels, but it will give you an idea of what works)

PantsFreeZone fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 19, 2015

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Ahhh. I think that's where my problem is: I've been using the basic REGIME as a template instead of knocking out any Lockups for Min-sec/Med-sec. I should do that once I get things running. Also, I forgot to pay attention to how long a program needs so that might have been another issue there.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Coolguye posted:

One could say that this just gives you a good way to determine where escapees are going to try to tunnel (for dogs to patrol), but I'd agree with you and say that one should channel those tunnels by making every other option suck rear end, not making one option really attractive.
I'm guessing the far side of the road doesn't give you much room to stick guards and patrol for anyone escaping until you buy up the next plot of land.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I finally got this game because it was on steam sale big time and have a bunch of questions I can't quite figure out via the game or wiki (which seems constantly out of date regarding most recent updates).

-Room Quality
Prisoners seem to all have a room quality they "deserve". Is this room quality set in stone or goes up or down based on good/bad behavior? If a prisoner is in a room below what they deserve do they get upset? Is there anything bad that happens if a prisoner is in a room that's too nice? Will prisoners automatically be shuffled around to get the best room to match what they are entitled to?

If I have a shower in every cell do I still need a shower room or a dedicated shower-time on my schedule?

If I don't have a specific yard time will my prisoners still go outside or exercise and take care of their needs?

I think I've seen prisoners play pool but I've never seen them read a book and my library is empty shelves and unsorted books, yet I sometimes see prisoners complaining about literacy needs. Do I need to do something to get my library "working" ?

Mail room seems broken.

Any tips on keeping prisoners calm and happy and helping them pass their classes and generally get reformed/rehabilitated? I'm trying to run a comfortable non-3rd world style prison even though the game seems very based around american prison and crime stereotypes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'll admit to not having played the game for a while, but I do follow the update videos.

Room quality was only added in the latest update, there's a good chance they'll be doing some tweaks to it in the next update which should hit in about a week.
Yes the prisoners' behavior determines what cell quality they deserve. Long periods of good behavior increases the deserved cell quality. A single incident from the prisoner will reset the deserved cell to minimum.
Guards will regularly shuffle prisoners around to other cells better matching their "rating".

Cell quality differences obviously only have meaning if you actually have different quality cells, and it's generally a good idea to have some differentiation.

The various regimes often simply dictate somewhere the prisoners are mandated to go:

Lock down: All prisoners to their cells, cells are locked.
Sleep: In practice identical to lock down

Yard: All prisoners to a yard, cell doors are unlocked/open, prisoners are free to use any facilities inside the yard
Shower: All prisoners to a shower room, cell doors are unlocked/open, prisoners are free to use any facilities inside the shower room

Eat: All prisoners to canteen, cell doors are unlocked/open, prisoners are free to use any facilities inside the canteen, kitchens begin preparing and serving meals 3 hours before a designated Eat regime

Free time: Cell doors are unlocked/open, prisoners are free to use any facilities open to their security rating. They can finish meals they got in a prior Eat regime but can't get new meals and kitchens wouldn't have prepared any either.
Work: Identical to free time, except prisoners in a reform program scheduled for that time go to the program, prisoners certified to work in a room with prisoner labor assigned will (sometimes) perform work

I think that covers all regimes.
Visiting time (prisoner's family/lawyer arrives in visitation room) overrides anything else, they will be let out of their cells during lock down regime, leave work/reform programs etc. to see visitors.

Since prisoners with unmet needs tend to have a shorter fuse and be less capable in work and reform programs, it's a good idea to make sure everyone gets to use shower and toilet first thing in the morning. If you just start the day with free time, everyone will tend to sleep in and not bother using any shower/toilet even in their own cell, until they're forced out by a later work or eat regime, and end up being cranky/ineffective. For that reason I prefer sending everyone to Yard first thing in the morning, and then have a yard with all facilities available.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I think I've seen prisoners play pool but I've never seen them read a book and my library is empty shelves and unsorted books, yet I sometimes see prisoners complaining about literacy needs. Do I need to do something to get my library "working" ?

You need a prisoner that has passed the foundation program on the classroom, and assign work slots to the library in the Logistics screen. Prisoners will then start sorting and borrowing the books from it.

nielsm posted:

Cell quality differences obviously only have meaning if you actually have different quality cells, and it's generally a good idea to have some differentiation.

Why? I mean, it's pretty expensive to furnish all the cells, but will prisoners strive to not gently caress up when they know that there's a chance for an upgrade or something?

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 23, 2015

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Baronjutter posted:

Prisoners seem to all have a room quality they "deserve". Is this room quality set in stone or goes up or down based on good/bad behavior?
The deserved quality resets to 0 if they get in trouble, and it ticks up over time if they behave.

quote:

If I have a shower in every cell do I still need a shower room or a dedicated shower-time on my schedule?
As nielsm says, if you don't zone a "Shower" room, then you shouldn't have a Shower time because the prisoners won't have a place to go. They can still use the showers in their rooms during free time (or work time, if they don't have a job).

Sometimes it's worth compromising and putting a shower room (or hallway) in, just so you can force everyone to shower every day. Some prisoners don't, and it pisses the others off.

quote:

I haven't tried libraries yet, but I think you need prisoners working there to sort/shelve/check out books.

quote:

Mail room seems broken.
Known issue in alpha 33. Bug reports say it should be fixed in 34, which should be out within a week.

quote:

Any tips on keeping prisoners calm and happy and helping them pass their classes and generally get reformed/rehabilitated? I'm trying to run a comfortable non-3rd world style prison even though the game seems very based around american prison and crime stereotypes.
Watch their needs and see if any are piling up, like bowels and food in the morning like nielsm mentioned. Class performance can also be impacted by suppression, which happens when guards are scaring the prisoners into good behavior.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Library doesn't show up as a workable room for me in the labour assignment screen. My library is open though, does it need walls or something? The room seems functional its self.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

HardDisk posted:

Why? I mean, it's pretty expensive to furnish all the cells, but will prisoners strive to not gently caress up when they know that there's a chance for an upgrade or something?

The opposite, actually. Prisoners in higher than average cells don't want to lose them, and behave better. Prisoners in lower than average cells get jealous and kick off more. Ultimately, it's a tool to control where trouble happens, so you can put guards where they are more effective.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Library doesn't show up as a workable room for me in the labour assignment screen. My library is open though, does it need walls or something? The room seems functional its self.

Yes, it needs to be enclosed to be workable, even though this isn't actually part of the room description.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

The opposite, actually. Prisoners in higher than average cells don't want to lose them, and behave better. Prisoners in lower than average cells get jealous and kick off more. Ultimately, it's a tool to control where trouble happens, so you can put guards where they are more effective.
Nah. The best way to use it as I've seen it is to have about 15-20% of your 'actual' cells be as lovely as humanly possible, and then bargain on keeping those cells empty on a day-to-day basis. This basically gives you the deterrent effect of having punishment cells for dumbasses who misbehave, without giving you the chronic problem of dealing with the horseshit of the prison poors. Overall number of incidents of my prisons has dropped a lot even in max sec since I did this, and it's effectively the same concept as Solitary only it actually works.

nielsm posted:

Since prisoners with unmet needs tend to have a shorter fuse and be less capable in work and reform programs, it's a good idea to make sure everyone gets to use shower and toilet first thing in the morning. If you just start the day with free time, everyone will tend to sleep in and not bother using any shower/toilet even in their own cell, until they're forced out by a later work or eat regime, and end up being cranky/ineffective. For that reason I prefer sending everyone to Yard first thing in the morning, and then have a yard with all facilities available.
Prisoners are guaranteed to be up and about at 8AM, so if you do not start your 'day' until 9AM, they will have an hour to poo poo and shower in their cells. It's also worth noting that you can set up a shower/bathroom area in the Canteen and it will be used exactly the way you expect, like any other facility. I tend to prefer putting things in the prisoner's cell, though, simply because showers are super cheap, I'm already installing plumbing for the toilet, and nobody has ever gotten the poo poo beaten out of them during Lockdown. I can't say the same about Yard time, max secs will light up just seeing someone look at them funny if they're hungry, stinky, and poopy walking out onto the yard.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Watch their needs and see if any are piling up, like bowels and food in the morning like nielsm mentioned. Class performance can also be impacted by suppression, which happens when guards are scaring the prisoners into good behavior.
Well Fed also improves attention in classes, so a robust meal plan actually will pay big cash dividends over the long term if you pair it with a parole program.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My schedule is basically

Sleep
Shower
Food
Free time 1h for pooping
4 hour work
Lunch
Free time 1h for pooping
1h Yard
4 hour work
Dinner
Free time

I don't see the point of lock up, it's time when prisoners aren't "productive". I want them out meeting their needs and taking classes. I guess my main concern is how much freedom I can give them and have them still be happy. Like if I don't FORCE them to shower will they shower on their own or get stinky and mad about being dirty while being too lazy to wash them selves? Basically can I treat these people like adults and give them them mostly free reign all day or do I have to force them to meet certain needs?

Also how do people arrange their prisons in terms of security levels? I've only been dealing with low and medium dudes, which seem fine mixed. Later should I have self-sufficient segregated wings for each security level, each other their own spectrum of cell qualities and their own kitchens and such?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lock up is(was) useful when you want PCs/minsec to grab lunch so your maxsec guys don't murder them. But now that they fixed multiple canteens and the ability to make completely segregated prisons, lock up is kind of pointless. Not to mention you could just Yard instead of lock up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I don't see the point of lock up, it's time when prisoners aren't "productive". I want them out meeting their needs and taking classes. I guess my main concern is how much freedom I can give them and have them still be happy. Like if I don't FORCE them to shower will they shower on their own or get stinky and mad about being dirty while being too lazy to wash them selves? Basically can I treat these people like adults and give them them mostly free reign all day or do I have to force them to meet certain needs?

Also how do people arrange their prisons in terms of security levels? I've only been dealing with low and medium dudes, which seem fine mixed. Later should I have self-sufficient segregated wings for each security level, each other their own spectrum of cell qualities and their own kitchens and such?
The one I use is in the screenshot I had earlier, but I'll link it again for convenience:

Lockup time increases the prisoner's 'punishment' and 'security' sliders for the purposes of reoffending, so it is not at all useless if your inmates are meeting their needs in well-furnished cells. Showers and weight benches are both pretty cheap to install and handle needs nicely. In a standard 2x3 cell there's still one more spot for something to go down - the most obvious of these things is a TV or a phone, but that makes each cell more expensive than I'm willing to consider really.

Regarding security levels, the ideal situation is completely segregated. Min sec and Mid Sec can generally mix okay, but the higher number of Snitches from Min Sec will breed violence from the Mids eventually. Max Sec will generally bully around everyone since most of them are there till the end of loving time anyway. You also want to really watch the Max Secs because they're by far the most likely to have rough modifiers or be Legendary, but keeping the extra guards around is neither necessary nor helpful for the other prisoners.

More realistically, most violence happens when people are crunched in and locally outnumber the guards by a lot. This is during Shower, Eat, Yard, and sometimes Work in places like the Cleaning Cupboard when there's nothing to do so people mill around. So if you keep each level of prisoner on a slightly different schedule so they don't run into eachother at these times, and they never outnumber the guards by too much, you will have fewer and fewer problems.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 23, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You can assign Canteens to specific blocks but there doesn't seem a way to do so for showers.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Here was my second attempt at a prison. I built a giant holding tank that ran almost the whole width of the screen across the top of the map and was up to 420 prisoners at one point (not pictured). There were prison riots pretty much daily but they didn't impact the day to day operations of the prison. Enabling freefire and bangup seemed to cause a lot of problems but also helped cull the most violent offenders. Every so often there would be a riot where 20+ prisoners died and I'd get "criminal negligence" and I'd have to turn off freefire for a day. I named the map "Amistad" after this image.

Also I noticed that tables aren't used in the cantine, so I put the bare minimum required and fill the rest of the space with benches.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Your prison isn't physically that much bigger than mine yet mine only had about 50 inmates. Jesus, Amistad it is.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
I have one guy who will not stay the gently caress out of the holding cell. I've assigned him a cell at least three times, but after about a day, he runs back to the holding cell and sits there until he starts starving, at which point he gets dragged to the infirmary, I assign him a cell again, and he eats. gently caress you, Richard Chappell. What do I have to do to make you stop your stupid hunger strike?

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Baronjutter posted:

Your prison isn't physically that much bigger than mine yet mine only had about 50 inmates. Jesus, Amistad it is.

But his prison doesn't have any cells at all, just a bunch of holding cells.

I never build cells for min sec. I just build a giant holding cell that has 100 beds, it's own shower, bathroom, etc. Min sec will never riot on their own. I sweep through and PC any snitches I see and min sec keeps to themselves. In my best prison, the min sec holding cell had it's own yard, canteen, cleaning cupboard, classroom all attached to the holding cell. The min sec prisoners will follow the regime and go to the different rooms while never actually entering my main prison.

Will this latest room quality alpha break this strategy due to low room quality pissing off even min sec?

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm pretty sure room quality is a deterrent to problems, not a cause of them.

Meaning: Prisoners in 8/9/10 rated rooms will try not to get into trouble to avoid losing their swanky accommodations.

The way I set up my cells is a 2 by 3 with Bed, Toilet, and Shower as the crappiest it will go. This cell rates a 3. If I have 150 cells, 50 or 1/3rd are basic. Then build 75 level 5s that are 3 by 3s adding Bookshelf and TV. Then 15 4 by 4s and 10 5 by 5s with as many amenities as I can fit.

The reason you want a high % of crappy basic cells is that it fixes the AVERAGE CELL grade, making prisoners content in the 75 3 by 3s but allowing for the fear of being downgraded. Also, having a lot of AVERAGE and BELOW AVERAGE cells means your Holding Cells will always be empty if there are more/equal amounts of cells to prisoners.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
If you zone the holding cell min sec then zone all other cells either med or max, the min sec will live out their short sentence in the holding cell.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

PantsFreeZone posted:

I'm pretty sure room quality is a deterrent to problems, not a cause of them.

Meaning: Prisoners in 8/9/10 rated rooms will try not to get into trouble to avoid losing their swanky accommodations.

The way I set up my cells is a 2 by 3 with Bed, Toilet, and Shower as the crappiest it will go. This cell rates a 3. If I have 150 cells, 50 or 1/3rd are basic. Then build 75 level 5s that are 3 by 3s adding Bookshelf and TV. Then 15 4 by 4s and 10 5 by 5s with as many amenities as I can fit.

The reason you want a high % of crappy basic cells is that it fixes the AVERAGE CELL grade, making prisoners content in the 75 3 by 3s but allowing for the fear of being downgraded. Also, having a lot of AVERAGE and BELOW AVERAGE cells means your Holding Cells will always be empty if there are more/equal amounts of cells to prisoners.

Essentially, the trick is to make a number of bad cells that you are to regard something like Solitary - if they are not occupied, good. That means they are doing their job of deterring bad behavior by their very existence. The difference, of course, is that Solitary cells don't actually do that, regardless of how miserable they are or how long the sentences inside them may be.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I'm not sure if I like this new cell system. I think it makes the game a bit too complex

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Essentially, the trick is to make a number of bad cells that you are to regard something like Solitary - if they are not occupied, good. That means they are doing their job of deterring bad behavior by their very existence. The difference, of course, is that Solitary cells don't actually do that, regardless of how miserable they are or how long the sentences inside them may be.

Or you could go the opposite, and make every cell have 0 quality. How you do that, is simple: Start with more funds, rush Legal and Small Cells, make about 200-300 small cells. For added flavor, do maxsec/death row only.

I actually did that once, and... well, the place was virtually unsellable due to the amount of deaths that happen each day. It's a perfect hellhole, but... I just dunno what I was missing. Still, having nearly 100 corpses in the cells and no morgue was fun.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hezzy posted:

I'm not sure if I like this new cell system. I think it makes the game a bit too complex

I'm only coming into this game this week but kitting out cells is probably my favourite aspect. Coming up with various cell designs, designing for maximum quality and efficiency, I like it!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I have one guy who will not stay the gently caress out of the holding cell. I've assigned him a cell at least three times, but after about a day, he runs back to the holding cell and sits there until he starts starving, at which point he gets dragged to the infirmary, I assign him a cell again, and he eats. gently caress you, Richard Chappell. What do I have to do to make you stop your stupid hunger strike?

Try giving him 6 hours lockdown or solitary punishment, those tend to help fixing cell assignment failures.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Hadlock posted:

Here was my second attempt at a prison. I built a giant holding tank that ran almost the whole width of the screen across the top of the map and was up to 420 prisoners at one point (not pictured). There were prison riots pretty much daily but they didn't impact the day to day operations of the prison. Enabling freefire and bangup seemed to cause a lot of problems but also helped cull the most violent offenders. Every so often there would be a riot where 20+ prisoners died and I'd get "criminal negligence" and I'd have to turn off freefire for a day. I named the map "Amistad" after this image.

Also I noticed that tables aren't used in the cantine, so I put the bare minimum required and fill the rest of the space with benches.

Do I see morgue slabs in the visitation room?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

FadedReality posted:

Do I see morgue slabs in the visitation room?

and the kitchen, canteen and what looks like an office. The other desk is unzoned?

That is some amazing space utilization.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Two offices, foreman and security offices next to eachother (the original warden and foreman were murdered in a particularly nasty riot). Someone a couple pages back pointed out you can put the foreman's office in the power room, and then I realized you can zone different offices side by side as long as one is occupied before the first. I also have. There's no penalty for making offices as small as possible. Across the bottom I have the psychologist sharing a room with another security office. Just left of center there's a visitation/storage/shower room. Before that it used to include the classroom but I walled it off and added a door since I couldn't figure out how to get them to use it (you have to manually open classes, it turns out). Eventually, somehow the classes started working and I opened up a mailroom. Somewhere in there, there's a psychologist office, staff breakroom and armory sharing the same room too.

I ended up shuffling some stuff around as I had a mailroom but no workers for the first 30 days and all the mail had filled my available loading dock area and was breaking pathing for my workmen to move supplies around. Zoning other spaces as "mailroom" allowed the guards to move the mail out of the loading zone and cargo started flowing again.

Looking at use by sq ft, it looks like I have almost 1:1 holding cell to solitary confinement. Having enough solitary cells after a riot seems to quell aftershock riots quite a bit. I also have two infirmaries as guards are expensive to replace but will patch themselves up if there's a doctor available.

Across the top is my super-Amistad holding cell I was working on filling (and also the purpose of the giant canteen on the bottom-left) before it started crashing regularly. I setup a three hour eating period so that all the prisoners could get to and eat at the canteen before it closed.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 24, 2015

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

What's the point of morgues?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Corpses can hold some loot that you don't want getting out, so the morgue is the place the bodies stay until the hearse arrives.

Instead of, you know, the ground. Where people can steal poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had a guard and a workman both killed in the prison but I have no idea how/why. Is this a problem or did they just have heart attacks or something? How can I find out?

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
If nobody was arrested for it, you are SOL. My suggestion? More guards patrolling those areas and security cameras. Also, that means someone is now in your prison with a gun and a full set of keys.

Good luck!

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I had a guard and a workman both killed in the prison but I have no idea how/why. Is this a problem or did they just have heart attacks or something? How can I find out?

Prisoners can attack, and kill, anybody, so your workman (and guard) probably got caught by a prisoner alone and shanked. Prisoners with weapons can kill people terrifyingly fast, so try to arrange your guard patrols so that they give you visibility over all prisoner accessible areas at all times that prisoners may be in them, and so that any guard that is attacked by a prisoner has backup patrolling or stationed close enough to come to their aid before poo poo gets out of control.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's all minimum security dudes too. Some hard core indie game piracy criminals murdering people for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Alpha 34! Gangs Part One! Shops! Asian character support! And FedEx lost that little present Valve sent Introversion. Bloody typical. No wonder Chris is a little down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl-_QQorFoM

Anyway! Gangs! They're an optional feature when starting a new map. They're big jerks, won't do work, help each other in fights, and have full body tattoos. Shops! Prisoners can work there, and they can spend their prison work wages on minor creature comforts like soap and magazines. Asian language support is all Unicode-ish and allows for future translation efforts. There's also tweaks to the mail room and escape tunnels.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 30, 2015

• Locked thread