Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Spaceman Future! posted:

I don't believe there is a need for a god to exist to explain the existence of the universe or of the human race but I've always felt that people are entitled to whatever theology makes them more comfortable with their own mortality so long as it doesn't leave their home or church. It has no place infringing on anyone else's daily activity though.

I'm the same, though in the real world, not many people actually do this, and many of the most popular religions are evangelistic by nature. it is rather annoying to see public policy so riddled with religious influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

quote:

Now can we have some hope that Bernie would be just fine in the general if when he wins the primary?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
hey anime curator what anime should i watch

animes i have liked:
legend of galactic heroes
hunter x hunter (the new one)
lupin iii
miyazaki films in general because i like cute poo poo
gurren lagan

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

they're all antipope except for pope badger of basra the first through ninth

get your eyes surgically removed and then were talking.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

i, too, believe in the power of the Brand

i didnt say it was good magic

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Calling Venom Snake to USPol:

By the way, I just read the least sympathetic story about a failed attempt at immigration to the US. :qq: "But I went to all the best schools and had a great legal job, why don't they want me!!!!" :qq:

he tried to do the right thing and is getting deported for attempting to move to public interest. p hosed up you celebrate this

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

UberJew posted:

we're on the internet you know you'd think internet anime jesus would be the preferred anime jesus

anime heresy abounds

I like Jesus Jesus

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

there's too many beings here being worshipped. everyone just worship me instead and i'll channel it to the proper places.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Spaceman Future! posted:

I don't believe there is a need for a god to exist to explain the existence of the universe or of the human race but I've always felt that people are entitled to whatever theology makes them more comfortable with their own mortality so long as it doesn't leave their home or church. It has no place infringing on anyone else's daily activity though.

Wonder if that shift will ever happen where religion itself gets less outwardly preachy when all that information can be so easily obtained by anyone interested. When religion was starting out they kinda had to be preachy to get as many converts as possible otherwise it wouldn't last.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

LorrdErnie posted:

animes i have liked:
lupin iii
gurren lagan

if you liked gurren lagan you'd probably like kill la kill, flcl or panty and stocking with garterbelt but really you should watch madoka because it owns. it's also cutely animated when it's not in awesome bad acid trip mode

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm the same, though in the real world, not many people actually do this, and many of the most popular religions are evangelistic by nature. it is rather annoying to see public policy so riddled with religious influence.

Ive kindof developed the personal policy of being agressively uninterested in any kind of evangelism, argument or acknowledgement just encourages them, I just look straight through them now matter how loud or annoying they're being. Works best with headphones on. Though I do make my votes and oppose any kind of religiously influenced policy, which to be perfectly fair 9 times out of 10 is just opposing any christian theology that tries to sneak into law since you really dont see any other religion with enough traction to be worming its way through the halls of local government outside a few isolated orthodox jewish communities that have managed to take over entire townships.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Jagchosis posted:

he tried to do the right thing and is getting deported for attempting to move to public interest. p hosed up you celebrate this

its the next stage of fygm that comes when they inevitably get screwed by the same systems

i like to call it "oh poo poo" or "waaaaaaaaaaah"

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Calling Venom Snake to USPol:

By the way, I just read the least sympathetic story about a failed attempt at immigration to the US. :qq: "But I went to all the best schools and had a great legal job, why don't they want me!!!!" :qq:

I dunno. Knowing a lot of people whose lives are currently based on visas I can see it kind of sucking to investing 15 years in a place only to be forced to leave.

He didn't escape drug lords in Guatemala to trek the desert only to hide from border guards but it doesn't make it any less valid a gripe.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

ReidRansom posted:

there's too many beings here being worshipped. everyone just worship me instead and i'll channel it to the proper places.

This is why the Romans had to invent a demiurge who sat above the gigantic pantheon.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jagchosis posted:

He's going to be flying to basically wherever else he wants to be with the money he's made working in the US for the past 6 years after getting an education at Yale and Columbia. It's a far cry from people who are waiting in deportation camps separated from their American children because the US doesn't provide for minors who've been brought into the country to get a path to citizenship and they missed the deadline for getting it through their kids.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

LorrdErnie posted:

animes i have liked:
lupin iii
gurren lagan

i mean, recent ones I've watched

sound euphonium
ore monogatari
amagi brilliant Park

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Badger of Basra posted:

they're all antipope except for pope badger of basra the first through ninth

you can't make yourself pope

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

you can if you make yourself all of the cardinals first

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

says who

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

i think some of ya missed the line "American immigration law leaves the skilled immigrant feeling like an indentured serf"

hes complaining about the immigration system while conflating many of the problems with it with problems that are literally just american capitalism (like lack of bargaining power) and implying that its not really a problem that its worse for unskilled and illegal immigrants

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

this is my god now

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My roommate just got promoted to the assistant manager of her store meanwhile I work my eighth bullshit entry level garbage job with no chance of moving up

No I'm not hit by a crippling wave of self doubt and inadequacy and depression why do you ask

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i dream of an america where anyone can, through grit and determination, make themselves pope

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

me

maybe sinnlos in a 500 word post I will say I read but really skimmed, guiltily

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

The pope

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Berke Negri posted:

All you need are a few good friends sitting at a table and a chimney I think.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Anime Curator posted:

i mean, recent ones I've watched

sound euphonium
ore monogatari
amagi brilliant Park

i just assumed you had an anime museum somewhere to recommend things from

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sinnlos posted:

The pope

That sounds like a conflict of interest.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Another problem with the employer-dependent immigration system: visa holders are barred from founding and working on startups.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's going to be flying to basically wherever else he wants to be with the money he's made working in the US for the past 6 years after getting an education at Yale and Columbia. It's a far cry from people who are waiting in deportation camps separated from their American children because the US doesn't provide for minors who've been brought into the country to get a path to citizenship and they missed the deadline for getting it through their kids.

he's obviously very privileged especially relative to most other immigrants but i don't see why that's cause to smugly worship at the altar of our terrible immigration system because you don't like ivy league. also lol if you think that someone that went to yale and columbia has any money left, just ask warsz who went to the same 2 schools

LorrdErnie posted:

its the next stage of fygm that comes when they inevitably get screwed by the same systems

i like to call it "oh poo poo" or "waaaaaaaaaaah"

lawyers aren't really fygm though, aside from prosecutors they tend to be overwhelmingly liberal or leftist, especially ones that want to do public interest like this guy

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Berke Negri posted:

me

maybe sinnlos in a 500 word post I will say I read but really skimmed, guiltily

I mean, I could do a bunch of words on how the church determines the Pope and the relevant laws but I have 8 minutes until I'm off work.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

But at the risk of being immodest, I should say that my American friends are right on this particular point. I am well-educated. I have contributed economically and otherwise to this country, which I love with the zeal of a convert.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Sinnlos posted:

The pope

okay this one I definitely read

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

LorrdErnie posted:

i just assumed you had an anime museum somewhere to recommend things from

the Hall of Animes is a perilous and restricted zone, even moreso than the Hall of Weapons

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Jagchosis posted:

if you liked gurren lagan you'd probably like kill la kill, flcl or panty and stocking with garterbelt but really you should watch madoka because it owns. it's also cutely animated when it's not in awesome bad acid trip mode

i liked gurren lagan a whole lot but i tapped out on kill la kill real quick because that poo poo was way too rapey and hosed up

flcl and panty and stocking are real good

madoka is a show about lolis with guns i guess if that's your thing

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

LorrdErnie posted:

Another problem with the employer-dependent immigration system: visa holders are barred from founding and working on startups.

i'm sure this is a bad thing but anything that punishes the ubers of the word gets my rabid support

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

this is my god now

man even that guy doesnt want anything to do with himself

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LorrdErnie posted:

i think some of ya missed the line "American immigration law leaves the skilled immigrant feeling like an indentured serf"

hes complaining about the immigration system while conflating many of the problems with it with problems that are literally just american capitalism (like lack of bargaining power) and implying that its not really a problem that its worse for unskilled and illegal immigrants

I'm very happy with legislation which will make it much easier for people to immigrate here, but we could literally solve his problem with the "Give Any Graduate of a US Graduate or Professional Program Permanent Residency Act of 2016" and it would do nothing to most of the people I see my immigrant lawyer friends talking about on Facebook. Plus, he might end up moving somewhere else anyway, as the upper-middle-class successful professionals are wont, just later than he is forced to now.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

If you feel that your time and energy can genuinely be better spent on something other than your current job, too bad; you will stick to this suboptimal work anyway, just because the risk of leaping to something else is too great. If you feel a desperate need to take time off to recharge your batteries, then don't expect to be able to come back. If your employer does something that truly troubles you, your American colleagues may resign on principle, New Republic style, but you have not the luxury of principles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
dude got a face like he just had a moment of perfect self-knowledge and didnt like what he saw

• Locked thread