Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Poopy Palpy posted:

My problem with One Night Ultimate Werewolf is that it has failed to deliver on both of the promises in its name. It was not the final Werewolf game and I've been subjected to it on more than one night.

Sounds like you aren't actually killing the person you vote for like the rules say to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

taser rates posted:

There appears to be poo poo going down between Wallace and the deluxe Brass kickstarter
http://www.treefroggames.com/

it's almost as if Eagle/Gryphon Games is a sketchy poo poo company, just like Eagle Games before it

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
That sucks. I wanted to buy deluxe brass.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

PlaneGuy posted:

it's almost as if Eagle/Gryphon Games is a sketchy poo poo company, just like Eagle Games before it

Yeeep, this is why I'm really reluctant to go in for The Gallerist right now, it kind of sucks.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I also got introduced to Sushi Go!, which I think I will introduce to my family. Quick to learn, cute theme, and fast play.

Good Cop, Bad Cop might be good for you as well. It's BANG!, but actually fun.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

PlaneGuy posted:

I never heard anyone of the shittyness, anything crazy or just more of the same as this?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

GrandpaPants posted:

I definitely don't want to oversell it since games like this tend to only show major issues (card balance, luck of the draw, degenerate strategies, etc) after a few plays, but like I said, I enjoyed the one I had well enough and will likely play it again in the future.

Have any more people had any experience with Elysium? I have it locked up in a CSI preorder (for free shipping, naturally), but keep hearing mixed reviews about it, and some of the positive reviews are from people like Vasel and others who (positively) compare it to Splendor, so...yeah. On principle it seems like my kind of game, but...

I played it with Hades/Zeus/Athena/Ares/I forget, (you use 5 of 9 decks I think), and it was a lot of fun. It's an engine builder with several parts to your engine: Now (the cards in play), Later (the cards you pay to bring into the halls of Glory) and Prioritizing (you get 4 actions a round, and one of them is taking a 1st/2nd/3rd/4th turn token; if you don't take it, you automatically go last. Different cards require different colors, so you have to play in a certain order to get exactly what you want.

I built a Hades engine that rewarded me drafting brown cards and sending them to Elysium. On my last turn, I had saved up enough gold to send 7 cards to Elysium; if I'd completed my Zeus set, I'd have won the game. (Sometimes card draw is random, but once you match something in Elysium, you can't pair it with a different set, so I was waiting for a Yellow 3 that never came).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Zombie #246 posted:

I never heard anyone of the shittyness, anything crazy or just more of the same as this?

Basically (and of course this is my opinion) Martin Wallace is a terrible business manager and he blames everyone but himself. A long time ago, he and Winsome Games went in together to make Age of Steam. Well Martin never asked for a contract and then Winsome sold the game to Eagle without Martin's consent. Without the contract he didn't have a legal leg to stand on but was very angry about the whole thing. He was supposed to have a business manager who also didn't bother to get a contract for Martin either (the business manager was apparently a good friend). Then Martin tried to stop Eagle from using the name Age of Steam, but he had lost his trademark application or something like that so therefore his case was thrown out of court.

The thing is, all he has to do is file a DMCA complaint against Eagle if in fact Eagle doesn't have the rights to do the KS. Just file it with Kickstarter, they'll take it down and it'll be gone. Since he hasn't done that apparently, then I take it as yet another poor business decision by Martin. I know more about this than I think I can say as I've talked extensively with the Eagle owner, and like I said, I just think Martin is not good at business/legal stuff.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It is always fun when you impulse buy and get what seems like it will be a real winner with the way your group plays. I picked up Lift Off! Get me off this Planet just based on the box and it not having an awful review on BGG and I am really glad I did. It will slot right into the rotation as a fairly light game with the possibility of some backstabbing if you play with the suggested more aggressive variant.

I just wish we had more quick options for 6+ players. It seems like once you break the 5 player barrier things can really start to grind.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I played my second game of Brew Crafters today. I nearly tripled my score, with 140 points to the low 50 score I had on Friday. Did I break the game? The guy who owns it is just using the basic setup so I don't know how much variance there is / should be, other than there is a shitton more in the box. Does that even it out a bit more?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

Looking for a game for 3 to 5 players that's not hard too pick up, and doesn't have a ton of pieces it will be played on a camping trip. If it gets more complex as you go out in strategy it'd be great. What do you guys recommend?

Turtlicious posted:

We love space alert, ticket to ride, takenoko and tabletop rpgs.

Also Battlecon and City of Horror

Skulls and Roses looks pretty cool, the only problem is now people are bailing, so I kind of want to get a game I can have fun with 2 players if possible, but can scale well enough to 5 just in case they decide to show up. Do you guys have any recommendations for games in the 2 - 3 player range, with few pieces (or cards,) that would work well on a camping trip?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Anyone given Forbidden Stars a whirl yet? I'm particularly curious how well it works two player. I wish more reviewers (SUSD key culprits here) would comment on scalability, particularly as IMO few games play well at two and with a higher player count - usually because games primarily designed for 3-4 often have zero sum issues at 2.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I've taken a punt and ordered it, mostly off all the hype for the StarCraft game that it reimplements. I'll post a trip report once I've got it.

That said, you'd expect a two player head to head game to have a zero-sum element.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Sure, but it may or may not incentivize weird behaviors depending on the design. I hate mathing out gaining VP versus depriving the other player of VP in terms of net impact, for example, but in some games its appropriate (TS) and other games it can become a bit 'take that' and snowball once one player is ahead (through the ages and military in 2p).

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
You know it's a war game, right? It's about tactics, rather than efficiency.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Blamestorm posted:

Anyone given Forbidden Stars a whirl yet? I'm particularly curious how well it works two player. I wish more reviewers (SUSD key culprits here) would comment on scalability, particularly as IMO few games play well at two and with a higher player count - usually because games primarily designed for 3-4 often have zero sum issues at 2.

I'm curious about this too. Decent two player action in a game will mean it gets played an order of magnitude more.

At least until we pick up some children and sufficiently age them

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm looking for a not-ridiculously-heavy Euro that sits a variable number of people (up to 5). Looking at Archipelago, it seems to be well regarded (depictions of aborigines excluded ) and it also has a solo expansion, which could be fun.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm looking for a not-ridiculously-heavy Euro that sits a variable number of people (up to 5).

Keyflower Keyflower Keyflower

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm looking for a not-ridiculously-heavy Euro that sits a variable number of people (up to 5). Looking at Archipelago, it seems to be well regarded (depictions of aborigines excluded ) and it also has a solo expansion, which could be fun.

Caylus is getting a reprint very soon. That's pretty much what you're after.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Fat Samurai posted:

Terra Mystica

EBag
May 18, 2006

Get Hansa Teutonica. Plays fast (can finish 5 player in around an hour once people know what they're doing), easy to pickup and teach, lots of different strategies to explore and probably the most interactive euro I've played.

Keyflower also owns, or if you want something a bit lighter and faster then Istanbul.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

comedy option-Argent

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Picked up ladies and gentlemen, it says 4-8 players but the guy that reviews videos that you all hate said it doesn't really work with 4 and you need another couple in there. For those who have actually played it, is this true? Do I need 6? Will 4 do?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Picked up ladies and gentlemen, it says 4-8 players but the guy that reviews videos that you all hate said it doesn't really work with 4 and you need another couple in there. For those who have actually played it, is this true? Do I need 6? Will 4 do?

I'd say it's best with at least 6. Otherwise its it's just 1v1 for both the ladies and gentlemen.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Harvey Mantaco posted:

6 is far better than 4. 8 works too. With 10 it gets hard to get everyone to see what's going on across the entire table though.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Harvey Mantaco posted:

You need 6. 4 is just not interesting. It's definitely crazy with 10 but it can be fun.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Well, time to make more friends, I guess, loving game.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Dominion Beta: It seems to be running fine these days. It doesn't seem to have any multiplayer mode other than sort of "quick match", which sucks as I'd like to play it with other people I know.

The other thing is that, on the single player campaign side, the AI is all over the map. Sometimes it's incredibly stupid (I was making fun of it in my earlier post) - but other times it's really quite strong. Overall, my win rate is probably just over 50%, but there's a couple missions that have taken a bunch of tries to pass (and I only passed them using what I learned from that AI).

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

The End posted:

You know it's a war game, right? It's about tactics, rather than efficiency.

Ironically pretty untrue. Yeah it's about individual tactics but it's very, very much about having limited resources and a lot to do with them. Yeah the fights are fairly tactical but getting to the right fight with the right units and the right cards is mostly about accumulating and spending your limited resources effectively.

I can't comment on 2 player but it's a bit more intense since you can't rely on a third opponent to distract them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Tactics is who kicks in the door & how to do it so there's as little as possible dying in the process.

Strategy is which doors need kicking in.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
My strategy is to win, my tactic is make a giant ball of dudes and hurl them at the enemy. This is how I win every war game. :clint:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dre2Dee2 posted:

My strategy is to win, my tactic is make a giant ball of dudes and hurl them at the enemy. This is how I win every war game. :clint:

Would love to see you try that in Napoleon's Triumph. :3:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

silvergoose posted:

Would love to see you try that in Napoleon's Triumph. :3:

Grand Strategy is deciding which games to play.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
As any good general knows tactics and strategy are useless without Logistics. Agricola is the true war game.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Triple-Kan posted:

Ironically pretty untrue. Yeah it's about individual tactics but it's very, very much about having limited resources and a lot to do with them. Yeah the fights are fairly tactical but getting to the right fight with the right units and the right cards is mostly about accumulating and spending your limited resources effectively.

I can't comment on 2 player but it's a bit more intense since you can't rely on a third opponent to distract them.

Fair enough. Sounds like they nailed the StarCrafty bits then.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tevery Best posted:

Grand Strategy is deciding which games to play.

Wisdom.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Rutibex posted:

As any good general knows tactics and strategy are useless without Logistics. Agricola is the true war game.

Wouldn't that make Logistico the ultimate wargame?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
How gross is the Forbidden Stars theme? (and why couldn't they have stuck with starcraft, I would have much preferred that.)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

OmegaGoo posted:

Wouldn't that make Logistico the ultimate wargame?

CNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Impermanent posted:

How gross is the Forbidden Stars theme? (and why couldn't they have stuck with starcraft, I would have much preferred that.)

What do you mean by gross, exactly?