Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Spaceman Future! posted:

he supposedly worked for high profile law firms for about a decade, so that makes his whole "they wouldnt sponsor me waahh" argument a lot tougher to swallow. The dude had options to sidestep without making some ridiculous charity leap, he likely had the income to offset the cost of his own green card application expense he could have found a company willing to sponsor him and hire him if he made concessions to make it happen.

The immigration system is hosed, but that dude had every opportunity to be his own advocate, sounds to me like he thought he was so important that there's no way things wouldn't work out for him so he kept things on cruise control and was shocked when the world didn't bend over backwards for him and made a desperate and risky move that could have been avoided.

Also, if he was doing legal work for fortune 500 companies he likely had enough income to just buy his way to legal citizenship. Its not a game about playing the rules, its about exploiting any advantage you have to get your green card. Dude refused to play, now he leaves.

he also couldve gotten a marriage of convenience pretty drat easy as someone working for high profile law firms

not that that solves all his problems but jesus

he also only ditched the high profile work to do people helping people when he realized he wasnt gonna be able to get everything he wanted doing the high profile work which just :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Spaceman Future! posted:

how would it be more logical than earth worship?

we don't need to be monotheists

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Disinterested posted:

who is the pope of dadchat

i follow badges interpretation of fiqh and honour all fatwas he has issued

maybe we need a thread ayatollah instead

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

hey even if everything else falls apart you can go live with crusties and traveling kids and live the punk lifestyle youre dreaming of

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sinnlos posted:

It's gonna be fine. Trust me. I've been where you are.

It's like

Dang

I show up to these awful bullshit jobs that I know I'm overqualified for but its all o can do because k don't have paper to back that up

And I do the poo poo out of them because I'm under the delusion that that will lead to better things

And then nothing better comes along and the one time it did I hosed it all up a month later and got fired

I kinda suck

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

the sun does have like 99.8% of the total mass in the solar system.

naming the planets after gods wasn't too off imo

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

sudo rm -rf posted:

i also allow earth worship

what about mercury

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

ive heard mercury worship is real hot right now

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also apparently the lint trap is full of my roommates hair because there's a duck ton of long brown hairs stuck on my shirt right now

This is my punishment for being a dick to her

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

kustomkarkommando posted:

we need to have elections for thread ayatollah and thread pope

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
apparently this guy practiced at gibson dunn, which is the firm that ken starr practiced at

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

LorrdErnie posted:

what about mercury

mercury won't even be allowed to await for judgement day like the rest of us

that glorious time when our light giver will swallow us whole

mercury will be thrown out of the fellowship of planets under summary decision by our eternal brother jupiter in the next 500 million years

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

no one should be deported, especially if the crime at hand is not making enough money as a lawyer

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

it's gotta be one of the m/e posters but not volkerball since he hates iran

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Praise the sun motherfucker

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Literally The Worst posted:

Also apparently the lint trap is full of my roommates hair because there's a duck ton of long brown hairs stuck on my shirt right now

This is my punishment for being a dick to her

dont look at your bathroom drain if you share a bathroom

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

sudo rm -rf posted:

dont look at your bathroom drain if you share a bathroom

We don't

Thank god

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
gibson dunn is probably also one of those firms that are up or out. if you're not on track to make partner, gtfo after ~4 years. but no one in the current generation of lawyers makes partner anymore

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

That's not nearly as time consuming as watching it also the manga is way doper

it was still a large chunk of my time I probably should've spent doing something better but w/e

my friend is going through the anime now and parts of it look cool but I told him numerous times I'd let him log into my viz account and just read it all if he wanted to :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Spaceman Future! posted:

how would it be more logical than earth worship?

*points down* I study that.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

i will be taking a religious holiday when our ambassador reaches the eternal brothers of pluto and charon next month.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Last night I bugged her by saying québécois over and over again while we were watching orphan black

Then she went to bed and I texted it to her

This morning I wrote her a check for electric and cable and wrote it on the memo line

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

boxcarhobo posted:

it was still a large chunk of my time I probably should've spent doing something better but w/e

my friend is going through the anime now and parts of it look cool but I told him numerous times I'd let him log into my viz account and just read it all if he wanted to :shrug:

I read it during class and at a boring night shift job in like three months, and that was the tail end of part one. I can't imagine starting from scratch now

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Last night I bugged her by saying québécois over and over again while we were watching orphan black

This morning I wrote her a check for electric and cable and wrote it on the memo line

youre a monster

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

What's the joke? :confused:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

It's like

Dang

I show up to these awful bullshit jobs that I know I'm overqualified for but its all o can do because k don't have paper to back that up

And I do the poo poo out of them because I'm under the delusion that that will lead to better things

And then nothing better comes along and the one time it did I hosed it all up a month later and got fired

I kinda suck

You need some kind of consistency of employment. even if its lovely, if it can keep you eating and whit a roof over your head, get at a bare minimum 6 months of solid, consistent work, a year is better. Then go for the next job while you still have one.

Retail is garbage but can offer limited upward mobility. If you can get a retail management spot, that can be used to springboard to better career options as its full of transferable skills. Fedex/UPS is the same poo poo and i think you and have have commiserated about you working there for a while. UPS is still an option.

You are young still and can grind this out. There are no quick answers and being forced to bootstrap oneself in america is loving garbage, but thats the world we live in. Try and focus on the long term goals you have, because short term, poo poo is going to be drudgery and somewhat miserable. However people can and do pull themselves out of it all the time, and overcome being born in ghettos and tons of other disadvantages.

You can do this, its just going to take a lot of work and no small amount of persistence and endurance.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If I could go back to fedex and make enough money doing it as my sole job I would do it in a minute but uh they like to play that 35 hours a week game and I can't do that

I know I could work my way back up at the box people in a minute though. Probably wouldn't even take me a year like it did last time

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What's the joke? :confused:

Québécois is a funny word

Also re management a lot of the time they want some kind of paper saying I can suffer through college and man I ain't got none of that

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Québécois is a funny word

Also re management a lot of the time they want some kind of paper saying I can suffer through college and man I ain't got none of that

not in retail or fedex, however the degree gets you in a lot faster. works the same in manufacturing as well. get hired, prove you can think for yourself, eventually you get a spot. getting to a be shift leader even can be experience you can transfer into a better job elsewhere.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

If youre not completely braindead and also not a complete wet noodle there's always construction. Otherwise youre probably best off hitting the community college and seeing what kind of certifications you could get quickly for mid level office work.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 23, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i hope you all celebrated the summer solstice properly

hail inti raymi

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

i hope you all celebrated the summer solstice properly

I played with my kid and then drank some whisky.

Nailed it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WoodrowSkillson posted:

not in retail or fedex, however the degree gets you in a lot faster. works the same in manufacturing as well. get hired, prove you can think for yourself, eventually you get a spot. getting to a be shift leader even can be experience you can transfer into a better job elsewhere.

Once I get back from NY I'm going to talk to my manager about being the lead driver just so I can pretend it's a management position. Tack that on to my SME job and I think I can spin that

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i will swim

until the sun sets

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i will swim

until the sun sets

are you also using jude law's genetic identity to excel at work?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm just going to sell drugs

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

hail inti raymi

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Who here knows how to sell drugs and can give me a primer

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Spaceman Future! posted:

are you also using jude law's genetic identity to excel at work?

i've photocopied all the poo poo i need so :byewhore: hoover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

thank you e marx for preventing kyrie from making another thread about themselves

• Locked thread