Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yolomancer posted:

I still think a hybrid approach is better than just admin coring or just diplo-annexing, particularly when say you're trying to complete a diplomatic idea group, or you need to get more diplomacy tech for trade or colonisation.

This is always what I've done. I take the territory I want NOW directly, and I leave stuff I don't need now for vassals. Or in the case of like, Brandenburg, I just vassalize them because they make a great march or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've played for so long without Ironman because of my lovely PC where autosaves took a minute or so that now I can't break the habit of playing on 5 speed constantly. 5 speed was as fast as 3 speed is now lol. I need to try and slow myself down.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah. I guess when it comes down to it, I don't need the Steam achievement to know I've successfully accomplished one. Ironman just slows the game down, and if I choose to reload, I'm only ruining it for myself. But of course I don't reload, since it's largely unnecessary and ruins a lot of the enjoyment of the game. Maybe I'll just forget Ironman and set myself free.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Except for rapidly growing sweden over there, this is probably the best possible TO start I could have gotten. Poland and Lithuania never even formed a union, and Lithuania got dogpiled by me/crimea/muscovy and exploded into rebels. Then Novgorod ate Muscovy while they were overextended. My only concern is Crimea sniping Russian Region provinces. But then again Ottos have only conquered Byzantines and two Anatolian cores so maybe that wont be such a big deal.

Pomerania and LO are my vassals.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sweden got giant in my game and formed Scandinavia really early, but I killed their whole navy and have been kicking their rear end frequently...my problem is probably going to be strong Crimea too.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Larry Parrish posted:

Except for rapidly growing sweden over there, this is probably the best possible TO start I could have gotten. Poland and Lithuania never even formed a union, and Lithuania got dogpiled by me/crimea/muscovy and exploded into rebels. Then Novgorod ate Muscovy while they were overextended. My only concern is Crimea sniping Russian Region provinces. But then again Ottos have only conquered Byzantines and two Anatolian cores so maybe that wont be such a big deal.

What year is it?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I don;t understand why you would feed the LO too...integrate those motherfuckers asap and get a border with russia.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I don;t understand why you would feed the LO too...integrate those motherfuckers asap and get a border with russia.

I was already annexing them and figured 'why not save some ADM while I'm at it'

PleasingFungus posted:

What year is it?

I was in HRE by 1447... vassalized LO and Pomerania in by 1454 (i was kinda distracted by Lithuania and Poland deciding i looked vulnerable in the middle of the LO war). It's like 1480 in that screenshot. I slowed down a shitload because Sweden, Novgorod, Chernogorv, Lithuania, and Poland are all allied to eachother... I'm looking for cracks but its getting hard. I might have to snake my way towards Denmark to get a leg up on them.

But I have 387 development in 1498 which is better than the AI has done so far so hey progress.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Sweden got giant in my game and formed Scandinavia really early, but I killed their whole navy and have been kicking their rear end frequently...my problem is probably going to be strong Crimea too.

I started a new vicky 2 game as prussia->north germans and sweden formed scandinavia and now them, austria and france are hankering to gently caress my rear end

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I can still beat those bozos when they come three at a time though because great britain watches my coastal back since i maxed relations and allied. Near close to boot Austria out of the 8 powers and form germany

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Larry Parrish posted:

What mods are you using? That map is beautiful, especially the no-borders.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
ttheu ninstall mod

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

What year is it?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Thank you!

However, it will always be 1453 in my heart.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fuligin posted:

What mods are you using? That map is beautiful, especially the no-borders.

Illusory Flat Political Map. It makes terrain seem to not show up. Sometimes it's buggy with certain map colors like Savoy in mountain areas.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=317529391&searchtext=flat

It makes some tag colors pop out a bit better, and it's not actually a flat map mod. It's just a custom shader. If you really love the TBRAW White Font it works with this map mod.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Average Bear posted:

How do you keep Italy in the HRE? Taking Venice pissed a lot of people off and the Pope always has powerful allies

You have to take all of the kingdom of Italy crap which isnt in the HRE before 1490 or 80 or whatever insane date. It doesn't seem worth it at all. Eating Venice is a necessity but loving with the Papacy that early is usually a pain in the rear end because all the big Catholics like to ally them

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I started a new vicky 2 game as prussia->north germans and sweden formed scandinavia and now them, austria and france are hankering to gently caress my rear end

4 front wars in Vicky 2 as Germany are really fun to my insane mind and also proof that encirclement was real and Kaiser Wilhelm was right

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Yolomancer posted:

Yeah. I guess when it comes down to it, I don't need the Steam achievement to know I've successfully accomplished one. Ironman just slows the game down, and if I choose to reload, I'm only ruining it for myself. But of course I don't reload, since it's largely unnecessary and ruins a lot of the enjoyment of the game. Maybe I'll just forget Ironman and set myself free.

I don't really have any chieves cause my comp is insanely lovely so the game is slow enough without me turning on Ironman. Also cause I like to run a few defines modifications (fill in wasteland and sometimes ai chooses ideas though I haven't turned that back on since it led to some idiotic stuff like Portugal not taking exploration as idea 1)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only thing I hate about Common Sense is manpower.. I already didn't use mercs much because I was retarded, but now I have to teach myself to keep a lot sitting around and update them with tech and poo poo.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I've loved mercs since day one and thought making them viable was one of the best changes in EU4. And also makes sense thematically since they were such a big deal at the time.

Well I think they were kind of viable in a pinch in EU2. I definitely remember insanely spamming mercs as the Dutch thanks to my broken income.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im still mad as balls hoi4 got delayed

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

im still mad as balls hoi4 got delayed

I don't really like WW2 that much. Hell i'll probably get it. I was stupid enough to buy Sengoku

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TO 2nd level sprites look cool. Platemail and muskets. Badass.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crimea converted to Orthodox because of rebels. Kazan is westernizing but is out of points as far as I can tell and keeps getting 0/0/0 rulers. They are pretty much carpet sieged constantly. Novgorod has no allies left because Scandinavia rivaled them. I think I'm gonna beat you to it Yolo.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

DICKHEAD posted:

I don't really like WW2 that much. Hell i'll probably get it. I was stupid enough to buy Sengoku

ditto, ditto, ditto.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Marenghi posted:

Ironman is a good way to test your patience with this games random events.

Lost an heir then two kings during the course of one war. Warscore was at 94% but the second king dying meant the war ended as the claim was not inherited.
Fairly annoying as I purposely kept put other generals in charge specifically to avoid this situation. To add insult to injury the battles weren't even being lost.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Crimea converted to Orthodox because of rebels. Kazan is westernizing but is out of points as far as I can tell and keeps getting 0/0/0 rulers. They are pretty much carpet sieged constantly. Novgorod has no allies left because Scandinavia rivaled them. I think I'm gonna beat you to it Yolo.

Are you talking to me? Pretty sure he's not doing Baltic Crusader.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Are you talking to me? Pretty sure he's not doing Baltic Crusader.

He did it already. I meant I was going to beat him to it because I'm like a third done with the Russian Region 100 years ahead of him.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

He did it already. I meant I was going to beat him to it because I'm like a third done with the Russian Region 100 years ahead of him.

Did he? I thought he was doing holy trinity.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
OK, yeah, peacetime manpower recovery is probably too slow this patch. Max manpower of 75k and recovery of 666... christ. I'm at a third of my force limit, just because i don't have the manpower to build anything...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It makes quality a good idea group and mercs even more necessary. I like it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it's a nice change but it means that admin and quality are pretty much the best general-purpose idea groups in the game which is a bit lame.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

it's a nice change but it means that admin and quality are pretty much the best general-purpose idea groups in the game which is a bit lame.

I like when Paradox makes expansion harder but I don't like it when the really good idea groups just get better.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:yikes:

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DICKHEAD posted:

I don't really have any chieves cause my comp is insanely lovely so the game is slow enough without me turning on Ironman. Also cause I like to run a few defines modifications (fill in wasteland and sometimes ai chooses ideas though I haven't turned that back on since it led to some idiotic stuff like Portugal not taking exploration as idea 1)

If it's good enough for hay man it's good enough for me!

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyway here's the last screenshot I took before the game was over. I did it, please believe me.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hay man is my rival.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah, what are you talking about? I was doing Holy Trinity, not Baltic Crusader.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I don't have a problem with any of this, sometimes RNG falls in your favour, sometimes it doesn't. What I do have a problem is that now two of my Ironman saves have converted to local saves, without any warning to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yolomancer posted:

I don't have a problem with any of this, sometimes RNG falls in your favour, sometimes it doesn't. What I do have a problem is that now two of my Ironman saves have converted to local saves, without any warning to me.

Yeah it was just an example of how games posters approach playing these games. I'm in the same boat as you with the ironman switch thing and I think there's something specific that causes I might have fixed to rectify it. It was a fairly common problem a year ago so perhaps Google might have some answers if you care about ironman.