Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Ilyich posted:

Jesus, Ninja scrolls are obscenely strong. :stare: They're so cheap too.
Wait till you give your Ninja !Summon 6 or something that passes a good magic score :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ilyich posted:

Jesus, Ninja scrolls are obscenely strong. :stare: They're so cheap too.

120 magic power that isn't reduced due to AoE. They're rod-boostable too. Give your Ninja a magic command (and give your mages !Throw) and watch them get even more obscene.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Hello Fire Crystal! Hello Earth Crystal!

Oh.

Well, I can... salvage... this. I think. Dualcast on the Time Mage (I'll be able to dualcast meteors with that, right?) and I guess I could throw Time on the Dragoon and Red on the Geo. If I put Dualcast on the Geo, will that still give me access to the Red Lv. 3? That's a lot of grinding, though. I may just stick with Red or Time.

Vanilla Ice
Jun 13, 2002

Fuck The Eradicator
Any suggestions on Sol Cannon for a White Mage/Monk/BeastMaster team? I have done the fiesta a few times, but I'm having a hard time even figuring out what strategy (besides grinding) is practical here. Is there something I should be doing to raise my damage up?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Vanilla Ice posted:

Any suggestions on Sol Cannon for a White Mage/Monk/BeastMaster team? I have done the fiesta a few times, but I'm having a hard time even figuring out what strategy (besides grinding) is practical here. Is there something I should be doing to raise my damage up?

Two released Sand Bears will do a large chunk of damage to Soul Cannon -- somewhere around 4000-4500 total iirc. So you just have to punch out the launchers as soon as possible, drop your bears, and then keep your health above 50% to survive the attacks from the cannon, which should be a cinch with White Mage. Don't take HP+%.

Do you have the Blitz Whip?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Last time I played I escaped the exploding castle, changed 3 of my berserkers to ninja and then saved and turned it off. Booted the game up again just now, got into a battle and it took me a couple seconds to remember I have to input commands again.

Leofish posted:

Hello Fire Crystal! Hello Earth Crystal!

Oh.

Well, I can... salvage... this. I think. Dualcast on the Time Mage (I'll be able to dualcast meteors with that, right?) and I guess I could throw Time on the Dragoon and Red on the Geo. If I put Dualcast on the Geo, will that still give me access to the Red Lv. 3? That's a lot of grinding, though. I may just stick with Red or Time.
I recall from last year that Time mixes really well with Dragoon. I think one of the spells lets them skip the air time of Jump?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

That makes fifteen.

Final team: Summoner/Red Mage/Beastmaster/Geomancer. Poor Beastmaster, it'd be useful if it weren't on the same team as Dualcast Summon. Might as well give Geomancer !Red so both can feel useful (and Red Mage !Summon of course).

Also, apparently Wave Cannon can miss in the mobile ports. I had it miss Fartz and Faris when I fought Soul Cannon. It seems a lot if not all "always hit" abilities no longer always hit. My blinded Beastmaster also didn't miss a single attack (I never bothered buying Eyedrops because Summoners).

Also, Cid's sprite wears glasses but his portrait does not, while Mid's portrait wears glasses while his sprite does not. OK, sure.

Vanilla Ice
Jun 13, 2002

Fuck The Eradicator

Brannock posted:

Two released Sand Bears will do a large chunk of damage to Soul Cannon -- somewhere around 4000-4500 total iirc. So you just have to punch out the launchers as soon as possible, drop your bears, and then keep your health above 50% to survive the attacks from the cannon, which should be a cinch with White Mage. Don't take HP+%.

I freed the wolf thief on accident and didn't bother reseting because I forgot that it would make me lose the Blitz Whip :(. It's the first time I've ever had to use a BeastMaster. I'll try the Sand Bear strategy and see if I can make that work. Thanks for the idea!

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

Wait till you give your Ninja !Summon 6 or something that passes a good magic score :getin:

Kyrosiris posted:

120 magic power that isn't reduced due to AoE. They're rod-boostable too. Give your Ninja a magic command (and give your mages !Throw) and watch them get even more obscene.

Well, I've just got White 6 with both Lenna and Faris. Out of curiosity, I threw a scroll with Faris, and did over 1,000 damage to every enemy. Roughly 200 damage more than Bartz, who has White 3. I think the rest of this world, and most of the next, will be plain sailing.

Edit. Since this run is fairly straight-forward, I'll donate £30 if I beat Neo, and and extra £10 each if I beat Omega and Shinryu. Might even do a 2nd run if I finish this run before the end of next week.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 24, 2015

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk

Kyrosiris posted:

Quickleak works just fine on GBA.

Step 1: Cast Quick
Step 2: Snap a Venom Rod at someone on your team with a Reflect Ring
Step 3: Wait for Omega to die (about 5 hours realtime, 15-ish minutes fast forwarded)

Five hours real time?! I was thinking of trying that trick, but I am playing on an old GBA that can't charge properly so I dunno if that would work for me. >__>

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I freed the wolf thief because it seemed like the right thing to do.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

mabels big day posted:

I freed the wolf thief because it seemed like the right thing to do.

He steals a lightning whip and leaves a mean note.

He's in prison for a reason.

Aytri
Jun 9, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Then just to spite you, :siren: I HEREBY PLEDGE $1 PER GOON WHO POSTS A NEO DEATHSHOT WITH THE NAME "Fartz" :siren: ($50 max, once per goon, punctuation is fine [like Fartz! or Fartz?])

Vanilla Ice
Jun 13, 2002

Fuck The Eradicator

Brannock posted:

The Sand Bear strategy worked on the first try! Thanks a lot. One thing I noticed is that before I could kill the launchers they made two of my characters old and even when I used esuna, their damage was still greatly reduced. Is that a bug or am I missing something?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Nihilarian posted:

I recall from last year that Time mixes really well with Dragoon. I think one of the spells lets them skip the air time of Jump?

Quick makes your jumps instantaneous, so you basically get four turns in one.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Alright Ranger Summoner 2xZerk

Was thinking is it better to x-fight chickenknife my Ranger or just slap it on a zerker and call it a day. I can toss summon on a zerker for rune axe fun.

Summoner clearly gets animals for zerk heals and what not. I've been careful with my summon pickups though so I could do double call shenanigans.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vanilla Ice posted:

The Sand Bear strategy worked on the first try! Thanks a lot. One thing I noticed is that before I could kill the launchers they made two of my characters old and even when I used esuna, their damage was still greatly reduced. Is that a bug or am I missing something?

Esuna stops the aging process, but any damage to their levels that has been done is permanent (absent increases like a Chemist).

Nat
Apr 3, 2012

Chaos Zerker Risk completed with the most boring job setup of all time. Leveled all the way until 70 before I tried fighting Exdeath again because he was wiping me at 50 constantly. Still required a fair bit of luck as he didn't spam White Hole in the first phase which is where most of my wiping at the start of phase 2 was coming from. The 20 level boost helped immensely in surviving Almagest, although after finishing the fight I could have easily done at 62-65 as that's when you get enough HP to survive 3 of them on the Goon, and 4 on Zerkers. The main source of problems at level 50 was White Hole taking up two turns even with a Hasted Goon, or going into phase two with someone at worst dead+stoned, or just stoned. Phase 2 is nothing but luck since my Goon was too busy Elixir+Status spamming with items and the Zerkers were attacking at random. I did use the Magic Lamp to take out the back part though, and lucky for me the Zerkers took out all parts at almost an equal rate. Hermes Sandels are preferred if you run this with 3 Zerkers and a Goon because you really need those extra turns to get out of phase 1 as early as you can.

Team
Dragoon - Berserker - Berserker - Berserker

Outside of the normal bosses that most people have trouble on like Liquid Flame and Sand Worm the only other problem was Exdeath. Death Sickles annihilated everything, and have 3 Zerkers proc death meant fast grinding. The mechanical area with the three chains going up/down in the The Rift was my area of choice because having Reflect Rings on your entire party meant nothing could touch you other than Bombs and their self-destruct spell. Each fight was 3-4 AP and 800-1200 EXP.

Nat fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 24, 2015

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
I feel silly asking, but what's the Cactuar thing?

Fake Edit: I mean I know what a Cactuar is I mean what's the Neo Exdeath as Cactuar joke?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Classtoise posted:

I feel silly asking, but what's the Cactuar thing?

Fake Edit: I mean I know what a Cactuar is I mean what's the Neo Exdeath as Cactuar joke?

Name me a giant FF creature that is more in the fiesta spirit than a cactuar. :colbert:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Kyrosiris posted:

Name me a giant FF creature that is more in the fiesta spirit than a cactuar. :colbert:

A Cactuar wearing a Sombrero.

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk

Well gently caress. I wanted one berserker, but was hoping Earth would be something else. Oh well, I'll make the best with what I've got!

At least I have two Death Sickles! :black101:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Supremezero posted:

Paging Can of Worms to the fiesta courtesy phone.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
grinding these statues for jp is killing my will power

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

hubris.height posted:

grinding these statues for jp is killing my will power

so... stop grinding?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I have Knight/Mystic Knight/Bard/Red Mage. What are the best abilities to assign to each for maximum stat synergy?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Kyrosiris posted:

Supremezero posted:

Aytri
Jun 9, 2014

KharlanTree posted:

Well gently caress. I wanted one berserker, but was hoping Earth would be something else. Oh well, I'll make the best with what I've got!

At least I have two Death Sickles! :black101:

with bluemage + whitemage cant imagine it being too taxing but yeah it sucks to not be able to control 2 guys :(

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

I pledge $5 for each Goon defeat of NED that happens before my first defeat of him in this fiesta. Upper limit $150.

Steamship is close, right? :downs: That makes 30 by my count.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
well looks like I'm finally gonna have to actually grind this Monk/Berserker/Ninja/Dancer run at the first Exdeath fight because I cannot see a way through this without just bigger numbers.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Edward_Tohr posted:

so... stop grinding?

yeah of course. i'm trying to come up with a way to beat those drat crystals. is there another way to pull off an instant death attack for samurai / red mage / berserker / dancer?

i missed the death sickle

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So I just started my second run and...

:getin:

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

hubris.height posted:

yeah of course. i'm trying to come up with a way to beat those drat crystals. is there another way to pull off an instant death attack for samurai / red mage / berserker / dancer?

i missed the death sickle

!Zeninage (damage is 150*(10 + level - defense)) and !Iainuki (85% chance of instant death) are both capable of wrecking the guardians.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Microcline posted:

!Zeninage (damage is 150*(10 + level - defense)) and !Iainuki (85% chance of instant death) are both capable of wrecking the guardians.

But !Iainuki involves more AP grinding, which he's trying to avoid.

Hmm. I guess put !Zeninage on everyone, go slowly until they're just about to enter the danger zone, wait for everyone to be ready, then have them all go at once?

Northan
Nov 6, 2011

Spear Spear Spear Spear
Spear Spear Spear Spear

Got 'em.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I ended up with Knight / Berserker / Geomancer / Dragoon doing Risk, please give me some encouragement because I'm in early World 2 and starting to not like this team very much

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I learned today that if you hit something with a death sickle, and they have reflect up, it will bounce the death proc back to your own party....

Qwarq
Apr 3, 2009

I finally got the first set of legendary weapons with my Mystic Knight/Berserker/Geomancer/Berserker team.

Geomancer is currently my strongest job... in melee damage. :black101:

Equip Axes + Rune Axe + Geomancer Magic Stat is just hilarious.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Hmm. I guess put !Zeninage on everyone, go slowly until they're just about to enter the danger zone, wait for everyone to be ready, then have them all go at once?

Just use !Zeninage twice. There you go, fight's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Kyrosiris posted:

Don't use Dark Matter, it's bad and suboptimal. Use Succubus Kisses after mixing Turtle Soup six times (Turtle Shell + Antidote) to reduce his Magical Defense to 2.

Basically, come into the fight with everyone already floating via Levisalve mixes, wearing Reflect rings, and then layer on one of your Red Mages (they'll be the one to murder Omega): Goliath Tonic (Elixir + Dragon Fang), Resist Fire (Ether + Eye Drops), Hasty-Ade (Turtle Shell + Eye Drops), and Dragon Kiss (Dragon Fang + Maiden's Kiss). Second action involves the soloer saving their lives with an X-Potion (Potion + Ether) or an Elixir, while their teammates mix at them Life Shield (Phoenix Down + Holy Water) and two Dragon Powers (Dragon Fang + Potion).

Now that you're invincible, just slowly level yourself to 255 with Dragon Powers, hit him with six Turtle Soups, and then proceed to Succubus Kiss him to death. Bear in mind that you'll be healing yourself with X-Potions or Elixirs as you go along, and never ever attack with Succubus Kiss if a Wave Cannon is coming in his AI routine, since you won't have time to heal after a possible Mustard Bomb counter. (does not apply if you have over 3500 HP after a Goliath Tonic). Your Kisses should do like 4k damage or so.

Thanks for the tips on Omega; it worked, only I ended up using a Chemist instead of a Red Mage because the Red Mage didn't have enough HP to survive Mustard Bomb; kisses only did about 1900 but I survived with 3 Turtle Shells to spare.

For Shinryu I went with four sets of Hermes Sandals to Berserk/Blind him, then I got lucky as he didn't score any hits while I got everyone covered with Protect/Goliath Tonic. Then I just Dragon Breath'd him to death. He only got one hit in on Lenna but I was able to heal it right away.

This was a lot of fun. Tempted to have another go with a new party.

• Locked thread