Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Kilo147 posted:

If Lord Aba turns them down, I'll send you all the pics. If you're interested, that is.

:ohdear:

I... I think I'd like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

ijyt posted:

do Alpha Legion have intersting rules? It's a toss up between SoH and Alpha in terms of paint scheme, and Imperial Fists more because the rules sound neat but painting yellow is painting yellow.

Alpha Legion!

Pretty much what everybody else said. An interesting and easy-to-miss note is that they choose their Mutable Tactic when Warlord Traits are rolled, not as part of your list, so you can choose whichever special rule works best against your opponent. Having Counter-Attack or Tank Hunters instead of Infiltrate will probably throw somebody for a loop.

Their Rite of War looks amazing until you read that it requires three troops choices, so unless you're playing at a gazillion points you end up paying the troops tax three times without getting the numbers that makes that tax worth it. But on the other hand, Gal Vorbak or Tyrant Siege Terminators with Infiltrate :getin:

It's easy to look at the Legion's fluff and focus on their guerrilla nature and load up on recon squads and vigilators and saboteurs, but as previously mentioned they work just as well as a "standard" legion, taking the best parts of the legion list and adding special rules on.

Also, power knives. Hack hack stab stab.

For the Emperor!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

PierreTheMime posted:

:ohdear:

I... I think I'd like that.

Oh, and just a reminder, my health was poo poo a while ago. Was in the hospital on and off for weeks. If you buy these, my only request is that you leave them to Broken Loose in your will, as I did.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kilo147 posted:

Oh, and just a reminder, my health was poo poo a while ago. Was in the hospital on and off for weeks. If you buy these, my only request is that you leave them to Broken Loose in your will, as I did.

This literally makes me happy for some reason.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah, I saw that last night and was pretty bummed. :/ it's still possible that something gives them the ability but I find it hilarious that if you only field the Deathwing Formation you immediately lose. I don't think they've ever made a Formation that's impossible to field on its own before.

Militarum Tempestus airborne formation is the same. All models in reserve.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Is there a better way to get heavy weapons for Chaos Marines than just buying a loyalist Devastator kit and adding spikes? If not, any advice for autocannons?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Pierre, Aba, email me. Kilo147@live.com. Also, each other. I'll send you photos of everything, I'll let you two decide what you want.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Is there a better way to get heavy weapons for Chaos Marines than just buying a loyalist Devastator kit and adding spikes? If not, any advice for autocannons?

Forge World Legion heavy weapons packs are your best bet. These Autocannons are ready to slap on normal chaos marines, or regular marines for that matter.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
so a full GSF company comes in at 995 points at the cheapest.

+++ New Roster (995pts) +++

++ Space Marines: Codex (2015) (Gladius Strike Force) (995pts) ++

+ Core (820pts) +

Battle Demi Company * (410pts)
··Attack Bike Squad (40pts)
····Attack Bike (40pts) [Heavy Bolter, Twin-Linked Boltgun]
··Chaplain (90pts)
····Power Armour [Bolt Pistol]
··Devastator Squad (70pts) [4x Space Marines (56pts)]
····Razorback [Twin-linked Heavy Bolter]
····Space Marine Sergeant (14pts) [Bolt Pistol, Boltgun]
··Tactical Squad (70pts) [4x Space Marines (56pts)]

Battle Demi Company * (410pts)
··Attack Bike Squad (40pts)
····Attack Bike (40pts) [Heavy Bolter, Twin-Linked Boltgun]
··Captain (90pts)
····Captain (90pts)
······Power Armour [Bolt Pistol, Chainsword]
··Devastator Squad (70pts) [4x Space Marines (56pts)]

+ Auxiliary (175pts) +

Suppression Force (175pts)
··Land Speeders (45pts)
····Land Speeder (45pts) [Heavy Bolter]
··Whirlwinds (130pts) [Whirlwind (65pts), Whirlwind (65pts)]

Created with BattleScribe

Including 440 points of free models.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Alternatives to the FW pack already linked:

http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/The-Armoury/Heavy-Weapons/Exo-Lord-Autocannons-TEN for about 2/3 of the price. If you don't need ten of them, there's also a 2-pack that's still a slightly better deal than FW.

http://bitsofwar.com/evil-craft/332-ec-chaos-autocannon-no-ii.html Significantly more expensive but has some Chaos bling if that's your thing. There's a second sculpt as well so you can vary it up a bit.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kilo147 posted:

Pierre, Aba, email me. Kilo147@live.com. Also, each other. I'll send you photos of everything, I'll let you two decide what you want.

Thanks, I sent Pierre the images you sent me (both message and in email) and send a PM to Pierre. I'll email you once we split everything up like the greedy ungrateful man-children we are.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Including 440 points of free models.

Remember, while the attack bike is cheaper, if our intent with running duel demi-companies is to get as much free poo poo as possible, then we want to snag Assault Marines on our fast attack requirement, and then whatever Auxiliary formation we take should have dedicated transport options as well.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

LordAba posted:

Thanks, I sent Pierre the images you sent me (both message and in email) and send a PM to Pierre. I'll email you once we split everything up like the greedy ungrateful man-children we are.

Not those photos! I got more! That's like, a third of what I got!

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

krursk posted:

Helpful info

JerryLee posted:

Helpful info

Good stuff! For that matter, how good are autocannons? What's generally a good loadout for Havoks?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Re: Sons of Horus--I started SoH a couple of months ago. I am not very far in to building my army and I have yet to put them on the table, but I've spent hours and hours nagging Bulbasaur and reading the rulebooks, so I am fairly comfortable at least making lists and figuring out what is/isn't dogshit and why and stuff.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
So I'm burnt out on Orks. I'm starting to put together a Tau army where most of the infantry is Gue'vesa as Pathfinders/Fire Warriors (Cadian legs and human heads, everything else stock Tau parts). I'm thinking of doing some Catachan as Kroot... but I'm unsure what weapons to give them. Kroot rifles aren't all that cheap buying them off Ebay- would it be acceptable to just give them Pulse Carbines? Or is that too confusing since the shaper can technically have a pulse carbine?

I'm also thinking about doing human proxies for Aun'Shi and Darkstrider, but I'm worried I'd catch tons of poo poo if I ever play anyone other than Sulecrist. In fact I've never played anyone but Sulecrist, so I'm not sure how acceptable anything I'm doing with the army would be. How spergy are people about proxies for this kind of thing?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uroboros posted:

Remember, while the attack bike is cheaper, if our intent with running duel demi-companies is to get as much free poo poo as possible, then we want to snag Assault Marines on our fast attack requirement, and then whatever Auxiliary formation we take should have dedicated transport options as well.

you only get free transports from the demi-companies ("they together form a Battle Company. Any unit from the Battle Company that has the option...")

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

you only get free transports from the demi-companies ("they together form a Battle Company. Any unit from the Battle Company that has the option...")

Good catch, when I read it originally I thought it meant the entire strike force.

I like the idea of using the Suppression Force and Armoured Strike Force along with 2 Demi-Companies to put a staggering number of vehicles on the table for cheap.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 24, 2015

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Welp, the entire Dark Angels book is floating around out there. I'm overall pretty happy with what I'm seeing, but there's some little things that bother me. There's the problems with the Ravenwing and Deathwing FOCs which have been covered already. Company veterans are still dumb garbage with no discounts or cool rules or gear. Vengeful Strike, the rule that twin-links the Deathwing's weapons when they deep strike, is listed under terminator armor for some reason, but it's still there. I guess that was done to give it to characters. Deathwing vehicle isn't a rule anymore so no more venerable land raiders which isn't a big deal, but I kind of liked the idea. The sacred standards got lumped under a single listing and give counter attack and relentless to the unit that carries it. So, basically, no one will use them since the only thing that'll benefit from relentless is a power armor command squad. I'm kind of bummed about that change, actually. I never took the standards because I don't use regular command squads, but they were a cool bit of flavor.

All that said, Ravenwing gonna be busted as gently caress with their new jink bullshit.

Edit: Aw, Azrael's sword is still AP3 and he's not an eternal warrior, but he's got full-blown feel no pain now and the lion helm effects his transport too. They should probably shift eternal warrior from Sammael over to him, Sammael's toughness 5 and doesn't need it as much now. He did when he couldn't join units for some reason, but that time's long passed.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 24, 2015

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Safety Factor posted:

Welp, the entire Dark Angels book is floating around out there. I'm overall pretty happy with what I'm seeing, but there's some little things that bother me. There's the problems with the Ravenwing and Deathwing FOCs which have been covered already. Company veterans are still dumb garbage with no discounts or cool rules or gear. Vengeful Strike, the rule that twin-links the Deathwing's weapons when they deep strike, is listed under terminator armor for some reason, but it's still there. I guess that was done to give it to characters. Deathwing vehicle isn't a rule anymore so no more venerable land raiders which isn't a big deal, but I kind of liked the idea. The sacred standards got lumped under a single listing and give counter attack and relentless to the unit that carries it. So, basically, no one will use them since the only thing that'll benefit from relentless is a power armor command squad. I'm kind of bummed about that change, actually. I never took the standards because I don't use regular command squads, but they were a cool bit of flavor.

All that said, Ravenwing gonna be busted as gently caress with their new jink bullshit.

I'm kinda tempted to do a Command Squad with the sacred standard and slap a bunch of grav-guns on them. Drop pod the group near something and let'em rip.

Also: Hellfire Rounds are listed under Special Issue Wargear, but nothing in the book seems to actually have access to it. So that's weird.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

I'm kinda tempted to do a Command Squad with the sacred standard and slap a bunch of grav-guns on them. Drop pod the group near something and let'em rip.

Also: Hellfire Rounds are listed under Special Issue Wargear, but nothing in the book seems to actually have access to it. So that's weird.
Yeah, I see the use in that, but it's just not what I think of when I think of a standard. I thought they were really cool in the last book even if the salvo banner was open to some abuse. As for hellfire rounds, they are available to scouts for their heavy bolter and no one else.

Another weird omission: Techmarines can't take conversion beamers. I figured those would make an appearance in this book given the changes to them in the normal marine codex.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, I see the use in that, but it's just not what I think of when I think of a standard. I thought they were really cool in the last book even if the salvo banner was open to some abuse. As for hellfire rounds, they are available to scouts for their heavy bolter and no one else.

Another weird omission: Techmarines can't take conversion beamers. I figured those would make an appearance in this book given the changes to them in the normal marine codex.

Huh, so they are. I don't use Scouts so I just sort of skipped over them entirely.

DA techmarines have never had access to conversion beamers so this doesn't surprise me much. It'd have been neat to put them on bikes and run around with RW bikers but alas, such is not the case.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uroboros posted:

Good catch, when I read it originally I thought it meant the entire strike force.

I like the idea of using the Suppression Force and Armoured Strike Force along with 2 Demi-Companies to put a staggering number of vehicles on the table for cheap.

If you're just going for vehicles, just run the formations on their own.

For instance, this can be a NOVA Open army:

+++ New Roster (1850pts) +++

++ Space Marines: Codex (2015) (Formation Detachment) (1850pts) ++

+ Formation (1850pts) +

Armoured Task Force (960pts)
··Techmarine (65pts) [Bolt Pistol, Power Axe, Servo-arm]
··Thunderfire Cannons (300pts) [Thunderfire Cannon (100pts), Thunderfire Cannon (100pts), Thunderfire Cannon (100pts)]
··Thunderfire Cannons (200pts) [Thunderfire Cannon (100pts), Thunderfire Cannon (100pts)]
··Thunderfire Cannons (200pts) [Thunderfire Cannon (100pts), Thunderfire Cannon (100pts)]
··Whirlwinds (65pts) [Whirlwind (65pts)]

Armoured Task Force (890pts)
··Predators (75pts)
····Predator (75pts) [Autocannon]
··Predators (75pts)
··Predators (75pts)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Good stuff! For that matter, how good are autocannons? What's generally a good loadout for Havoks?

Back when I still played in an open environment rather than just arranging games against known opponents, they were considered the most solid Havoc choice. I frankly have no idea if that's still true or not, but if Havocs are still worth taking at all then the autocannons are probably a fine choice for an unknown field; they're among the lowest-cost options and they're at least okay against most things because even the target gets an armor save or is AV 12/13 their high number of shots still gives them a chance of doing some work. And of course if the target doesn't have a 3+ or better, or is a light transport, the autocannons will just chew them up and spit them out.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

+ Formation (1850pts) +

··Thunderfire Cannons (300pts) [Thunderfire Cannon (100pts), Thunderfire Cannon (100pts), Thunderfire Cannon (100pts)]

··Predators (75pts)
··Predators (75pts)
··Predators (75pts)

actually, switching out the predators for more whirlwinds could be funny, because the entire army shoots Barrage, none of which needs line of sight

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

DA techmarines have never had access to conversion beamers so this doesn't surprise me much. It'd have been neat to put them on bikes and run around with RW bikers but alas, such is not the case.

Previously, it was because there was no Master of the Forge option, now it's just because. I also had wanted to run crazy beamer bikes. Oh well. Though it looks like techmarines are actual HQs now and not free slots like they used to be? Pass.

I don't get this dataslate stuff. Just give me a regular, old army list.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Safety Factor posted:

Previously, it was because there was no Master of the Forge option, now it's just because. I also had wanted to run crazy beamer bikes. Oh well. Though it looks like techmarines are actual HQs now and not free slots like they used to be? Pass.

I don't get this dataslate stuff. Just give me a regular, old army list.

it's a lot easier to follow with a phyiscal codex in hand

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
To be semi-serious, though:

+++ New Roster (1815pts) +++

++ Space Marines: Codex (2015) (Gladius Strike Force) (1815pts) ++

+ (No Category) +

Chapter Tactics * [Salamanders]

+ Core (730pts) +

Battle Demi Company * (730pts)
··Attack Bike Squad (50pts)
····Attack Bike (50pts) [Multi-melta (10pts), Twin-Linked Boltgun]
··Captain (90pts)
····Captain (90pts)
··Devastator Squad (215pts) [4x Multi-melta (40pts), 9x Space Marines (126pts)]
····Drop Pod (35pts) [Storm Bolter]
··Tactical Squad (125pts) [Meltagun (10pts), 4x Space Marines (56pts)]
····Space Marine Sergeant (24pts) [Bolt Pistol, Combi-melta (10pts)]

+ Auxiliary (1085pts) +

Anti-air Defence Force * (225pts)
··Hunters (75pts) [Hunter (75pts)]
··Stalkers (150pts) [Stalker (75pts), Stalker (75pts)]

Armoured Task Force (860pts)

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
So the Ravenwing formation has 1-3 HQ, with the restriction of every unit in the formation needing to have the Ravenwing rule.
If I'm not mistaken, the only Ravenwing HQ choice is Sammael, a Unique Character.

Games Workshop, everybody.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
There's also the Sableclaw, isn't there? I mean, it's just Sammael on a different hoopty but it's an option. Granted, it has the exact same flaws as Sammy on the bike in terms of how it fits into this formation, but editing is hard you guys.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PantsOptional posted:

There's also the Sableclaw, isn't there? I mean, it's just Sammael on a different hoopty but it's an option. Granted, it has the exact same flaws as Sammy on the bike in terms of how it fits into this formation, but editing is hard you guys.

Sableclaw is an upgrade, no?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Both entries have an asterix saying "You may not include Sammael and Sableclaw in the same army."

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Yeah it was the formation having HQ: 1-3 when you only option is to take a single Sammael (on jetbike or sableclaw) which made me laugh.
It's about as dumb as the Deathwing detatchment causing an automatic loss if it's the only thing you take.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Slimnoid posted:

Both entries have an asterix saying "You may not include Sammael and Sableclaw in the same army."

Exactly. It's the same lack of options, just with a change of what's under his butt. You'd also think that the bike as a piece of wargear would grant the Ravenwing rule so you could jam a bike chaplain in to that formation, but no.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

+ Formation (1850pts) +

··Predators (75pts)
··Predators (75pts)
··Predators (75pts)

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

To be semi-serious, though:

+++ New Roster (1815pts) +++

++ Space Marines: Codex (2015) (Gladius Strike Force) (1815pts) ++

+ (No Category) +

Chapter Tactics * [Salamanders]

+ Core (730pts) +

Battle Demi Company * (730pts)
··Attack Bike Squad (50pts)
····Attack Bike (50pts) [Multi-melta (10pts), Twin-Linked Boltgun]
··Captain (90pts)
····Captain (90pts)
··Devastator Squad (215pts) [4x Multi-melta (40pts), 9x Space Marines (126pts)]

+ Auxiliary (1085pts) +

Anti-air Defence Force * (225pts)
··Hunters (75pts) [Hunter (75pts)]
··Stalkers (150pts) [Stalker (75pts), Stalker (75pts)]

Armoured Task Force (860pts)

Cool 30k army lists, bro

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks a lot for the info RE: XX Legion, helped a bunch. :)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
My club has a fetish for playing 1500 pts at tournaments. Good thing I can write min squads in a gladius strike force off as fluffy with my Crimson Fists.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

ijyt posted:

Keep in mind that I haven't actually played 30K - so I might have mistakes in here - but from what I hear Alpharius is also the trolliest of Primachs.

First off, you don't actually deploy him. Instead, you secretly write up on a piece of paper to mark one of your units. Whenever you like, you can just reveal the paper to replace one of the regular mooks in said unit with Alpharius. Mind games 101, force the other dude to wonder which one of your squads is hiding a goddamned Primarch this time.

Second off, he's got a hilarious ability. whenever the enemy player succeeds on a reserve roll and you have a similar (terminators, Tectical, whatever, the exact loadout does't matter as far as I know as long as it's the same kind of a unit) you can roll a d6. On a 4+, your unit comes out of reserves instead of his. Pair that with the AL ability to take non-special character units normaly locked to other Legions as 0-1 choices and there's potential for some hilarious shenanigans here.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ijyt posted:

I'm glad you've decided to play Ultramarines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Imperial-Guard-Cadian-Heavy-Weapon-Squad

There are loads of heavy weapons in there that you can spike up if you're not fussed about fancy backpacks. I think it's 3 of each of heavy bolters, autocannons, missile launchers, lascannons and mortars.

• Locked thread