Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
In a different kind of election news, I received a flyer in the mail today that said "Your city council has decided the 2015 municipal elections will be held by mail." It goes on to say that a ballot will be mailed to each registered voter at the address on the flyer and it will contain a prepaid return envelope. They'll still have polling stations for people who have disabilities and/or can't fill out the mail-in ballot. You can also request a ballot in Spanish by calling a telephone number.

My city's not so bad :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Supraluminal posted:

This is why we have a Holocaust museum, but we don't have statues of Nazi war criminals in public spaces. You can memorialize history without celebrating it.

What is true of the 'shades of gray' in World War 2 is true of all wars. People shouldn't proudly fly the idiot rebel flag or have the faces of any murderers as a fashion statement - but I'm saying roads named after historic figures aren't worth attacking. It adds some 'lore' to our world. For example I went to 'Churchill Jr High' - named after the WW2 British PM. He did some bad stuff.

Humans are 70% Good 30% Bad.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SubponticatePoster posted:

In a different kind of election news, I received a flyer in the mail today that said "Your city council has decided the 2015 municipal elections will be held by mail." It goes on to say that a ballot will be mailed to each registered voter at the address on the flyer and it will contain a prepaid return envelope. They'll still have polling stations for people who have disabilities and/or can't fill out the mail-in ballot. You can also request a ballot in Spanish by calling a telephone number.

My city's not so bad :unsmith:

I still don't get why Town Meeting Day is a New England only thing.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

My "town" has a population of approximately 300,000 people.

Getting them all in to one room might be a tad difficult.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Why is there a Jefferson Davis Park in Portland, Oregon? :psyduck:

That's in Ridgefield, Washington. Even though they're in the Portland Metropolitan Statistical area (just barely), most residents have a certain disdain for Portlanders.

Not that the Portland area doesn't have its share of racist fucksticks, they're just less overt.

Rural Cascadia, like the rest of rural America, is pretty entrenched in its regressive social ideas. Thanks in no small part to the original settlers desire to establish a white's only utopia.

quote:

“The South is the last bastion of liberty and independence. I know we’re going to lose eventually.”

Eventually?

highme fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 24, 2015

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

:drat: this is really gaining traction

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

Well I hope he's right about that Communism bit

reports indicated that reproducing took place on the spot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

My "town" has a population of approximately 300,000 people.

Getting them all in to one room might be a tad difficult.

Precinct/ward/whatever meeting day then.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Joementum posted:

Why do you think this is the case? eg http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Clerk/City_Council/City_Council__Agenda_Index.aspx
Or do you mean something else?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fitzy Fitz posted:

:respek:

I don't know if they actually show this part anymore but it's hilarious (they bring the confederate generals back to life with lasers).

https://youtu.be/hiFsPQlyKI4?t=42s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLaQWFJTPG0

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'll drive on Jefferson Davis but I would never let my kids play with him!

Can someone make a mirror image of :bahgawd: with a Civil War Blue Cap?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

berzerker posted:

Or do you mean something else?

Yes.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

If you use the expanded definition that gives:
"The term has more recently been expanded to cover public meetings that draw people in a geographic area to discuss issues but not vote on any legislative or administrative action."
it exactly describes the Berkeley City Council meetings I linked. It's hours of people opining and debating, usually pretty entertainingly because large quotient of crazies show, but also lots of actual Berkeley people with real issues. A local blogger live-blogs the entire thing each week, and as you can see, it's live-streamed by the city with full video and podcast-audio posted afterwards.

Not everywhere has that, obviously, but it's not just for syrup country.

Unless the important point is some Jeffersonian pining for a simpler past of small country towns of farmers democratizing.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

My favorite part of the Okeefe story

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

berzerker posted:

If you use the expanded definition that gives:
"The term has more recently been expanded to cover public meetings that draw people in a geographic area to discuss issues but not vote on any legislative or administrative action."
it exactly describes the Berkeley City Council meetings I linked. It's hours of people opining and debating, usually pretty entertainingly because large quotient of crazies show, but also lots of actual Berkeley people with real issues. A local blogger live-blogs the entire thing each week, and as you can see, it's live-streamed by the city with full video and podcast-audio posted afterwards.

Not everywhere has that, obviously, but it's not just for syrup country.

Unless the important point is some Jeffersonian pining for a simpler past of small country towns of farmers democratizing.

The types of civic meeting that Berkeley has happen everywhere, regularly. Town Meeting Day has a specific meaning, which is about an annual event held in most New England towns. Sorry that your community isn't quite as enlightened. :shrug:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The real question: was Robert E. Lee cool enough with black people to leave his statues up?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The real question: was Robert E. Lee cool enough with black people to leave his statues up?

no, gently caress him

edit: this isnt about lee in particular but who cares
http://deadconfederates.com/2010/07/01/old-pete-slave-raids-and-the-gettysburg-campaign/

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

What is true of the 'shades of gray' in World War 2 is true of all wars. People shouldn't proudly fly the idiot rebel flag or have the faces of any murderers as a fashion statement - but I'm saying roads named after historic figures aren't worth attacking. It adds some 'lore' to our world. For example I went to 'Churchill Jr High' - named after the WW2 British PM. He did some bad stuff.

If I had to walk down Goebbels avenue every day to get to my job I'd be really pissed off, dude. I don't care about the 'lore' it adds, gently caress that. Making black people walk down streets named for the people who started a war entirely based on 'nah I want to keep owning these human beings' is a hosed up thing. There's a huge gap between 'Churchill was a shitbag but yea no poo poo in England he's considered a hero to many for other actions he took' and 'this guy was entirely motivated by bigotry and hate and we have a street named after him gently caress you black folks'.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

He was cool enough to let the union bury their dead on his plantation .

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 24, 2015

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
Yeah, that wasn't his idea. We ended up paying him for the land after he cried about it after the war.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Joementum posted:

Why, let everybody participate in government? That's what the Greeks did and they were godless sodomites.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

My favorite part of the Okeefe story

lol pretty sure everybody without global entry gets that X from the machines where they're used.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I almost think we should leave the monuments up but put plaques beside all of them explaining the problematic aspects of the individual in question.

If nothing else, it seems like with monuments there's a legitimate "where do we draw the line" question that isn't there with the confederate flag by itself, if only because so many of America's founding fathers were slaveowners. If Washington and Lee University renamed itself to just Washington University, it'd still be named after a slave owning general who (for example) presided over the three-fifths compromise.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

lol pretty sure everybody without global entry gets that X from the machines where they're used.

And his criminal record means he won't be getting global entry any time soon lolol.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

McDowell posted:

When the roads, schools and statues are used to commemorate repugnant men who betrayed the country to uphold one of humanity's most abhorrent traditions-done in a fashion to memorialize these men in a positive light? Nah. gently caress em.

Having highways and landmarks named after people is great. It shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings that every so often we go back through the lists and rename anything currently named for human trash who didn't believe in the basic humanity of the other races-and were instrumental in a horrific loss of life over that principle.

It'll be weird for some people, for a few years, to have to refer to Davis Highway or Lee Park by their new names. Their inconvenience means little to me, compared to the idea that their kids will grow up playing at Inouye Park and learning to drive on the Miles Morales Parkway.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I almost think we should leave the monuments up but put plaques beside all of them explaining the problematic aspects of the individual in question.

If nothing else, it seems like with monuments there's a legitimate "where do we draw the line" question that isn't there with the confederate flag by itself, if only because so many of America's founding fathers were slaveowners. If Washington and Lee University renamed itself to just Washington University, it'd still be named after a slave owning general who (for example) presided over the three-fifths compromise.

On the other hand, random parks and highways and suchlike bearing traitors' names because the Daughters of Confederate Inbreds paid for it in 1910 is bullshit.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Not sure what the relevance of if this guy or that guy was actually ok or not is when Union heroes like Sherman were well known racists that believed blacks were subhuman.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

No, I just went through it yesterday and didn't get an X on mine. Also, him using a cell phone in that area is grounds to get the phone confiscated and we were explicitly warned about it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ron Jeremy posted:

He was cool enough to let the union bury their dead on his plantation .

That was a punishment. Not a favor

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Asproigerosis posted:

Not sure what the relevance of if this guy or that guy was actually ok or not is when Union heroes like Sherman were well known racists that believed blacks were subhuman.

Sherman didn't assist in a rebellion based around enslaving black people to keep the economy afloat.

If you were to purge everyone from history and all of their accolades for racism, you'd have to purge....well, most everyone in the world. At least everything pre-1970.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Joementum posted:

The types of civic meeting that Berkeley has happen everywhere, regularly. Town Meeting Day has a specific meaning, which is about an annual event held in most New England towns. Sorry that your community isn't quite as enlightened. :shrug:

Our albedo is too low to be an enlightened as New England.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

That was a punishment. Not a favor

Tongue firmly in cheek

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Asproigerosis posted:

Who still freed thousands of slaves, and ordered land to be given to them from plantation owners in reconquered territory. Guy was a dick. But he was our dick.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Anubis posted:

No, I just went through it yesterday and didn't get an X on mine. Also, him using a cell phone in that area is grounds to get the phone confiscated and we were explicitly warned about it.

Hm, I and other people I travel with got those in MSP. Just handed the normal paperwork to the passport control guy and was off like normal. Maybe it couldn't read my passport or something?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Stultus Maximus posted:

On the other hand, random parks and highways and suchlike bearing traitors' names because the Daughters of Confederate Inbreds paid for it in 1910 is bullshit.

I'd say we could raffle them all off again but we'd just end up with a hell of a lot of Doritos Avenues and Nike Lanes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Talmonis posted:

Guy was a dick. But he was our dick.

Sports-team-mentality.txt

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

I wouldn't think "was not a key figure in a traitorous secessionist movement that dragged the nation to war" is a terribly difficult line to draw.

We may differ on where that line ought to lie, but surely (outside of the Tea Party), we can agree that NBF, Lee, and their ilk fall on the "no monument" side of things. There are many people whose notability come from things other than a betrayal of the nation for the cause of slavery that we can honor.

I'd say we could raffle them all off again but we'd just end up with a hell of a lot of Doritos Avenues and Nike Lanes.

Still an improvement.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Fried Chicken posted:

My feed is like 90% ex military and deep red state conservatives and I haven't seen a single one do it yet. Gotta question what element you are friends with dude.

Impermanent posted:

I'm from NC and I've seen zero people do this. What region of the country are you in?

I'm originally from East Texas but the people I've seen argue about it are friends of friends (or family of friends) from Mississippi, Alabama, or Dallas suburbs. Also, I've seen a lot of unknown crazy people talking about it in news article comments on FB because a friend from NY is making a point to troll/explain the actual history to the heritage not hate crowd.

fade5 posted:

When were you last here, and what area of San Antonio were you in? Because I don't remember seeing a giant confederate flag anywhere, although I may not have gone by it depending on where it was/maybe is.

I did find this story though:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Husband-of-former-San-Antonio-mayoral-candidate-6344887.php

:toot:

It was around June of 2012. (or whenever Fiesta was going on) Looking at a map of the places I was it might have between St. Mary's and Alamo Heights. Probably closer to Alamo Heights. Maybe off of 281 but I could be wrong, I was in a cab. I just remember being really shocked by seeing a Confederate Flag that big being flown in SA. (or in any of the big Texas cities.)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
There are few perfect men in history, but there is a large and visible line between "This man instrumental in the defeat of a rebellion over owning humans had racist opinions" and "This man fought to defend owning humans"

It's lovely that many of our historical figures owned slaves, and if there exists a monument celebrating Jefferson's owning of slaves and contributing to the slave economy I would be for its destruction. It's a good thing that's not what our tributes are celebrating.

• Locked thread