Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Berious posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks! I was just guessing and rarely hit anything + 3km :saddowns:

Just for future reference, How To Long-Range Torpedo:

Note: This only wrks if your torpedo range is at least equal to your concealment range. Preferrably, you want it to be longer than your concealment range (IE, drive an IJN DD, Benson, Fletcher or Gearing).

1. Know your torpedo range and concealment range.
2. Approach the victim battleship from roughly a 5-60 degree angle from it's front.
3. Once you are about half a click outside your detection range, turn broadside and switch to your torps.
4. Select narrow spreads and swing the launchers towards the predictor.
5A. If your DD has 3 centerline launchers, fire one spread so the right half of the aiming cone overlaps with the left side of the predicto reticle. Repeat on the other side with your second launcher and fire the third one straight centered on the predictor.
5B. If your D only has two launchers, you use less offset on each side of the predictor. Aim for one torp to roll slightly outside the predictor marker basically.
6. Turn away and GTFO. You don't want to give the sucker early warning by getting spotted.

With your torps spread out slightly, evading them all becomes rather hard for a battleship. You won't do catastrophic damage this way, but a good attack will net you at least one or two hits and the risk for this is minimal. Also, it's pretty fun when the BB is part of a larger blob because you'll cause all kinds of panic and chaos.

My best run with this tactic was on North in the Fubuki - msot of both teams lemming-trained along the east lane of all things, leaving a cruiser that died relatively soon, a Kagero and me plus periodic torp bombers to fend off three enemy BBs going to the battleship lane in the west. We spent the entire match bugging the hell outta hese guys and ended up sinking two of them while the last one made it to our base on half health far too late to acuallyo anything. They never even spotted me or the Kagero.

Magni fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Also press X to target the person you wanna torpedo and align the launch thing with the gray cone.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Shalhavet posted:

Also press X to target the person you wanna torpedo and align the launch thing with the gray cone.

That's what I mean with predictor. You wanna fire at least one launcher each with your aim cone partially outside the grey one on either side - slightly spreading the whole salvo out like that makes it harder to dodge the whole thing once the warnings appear for the intended victim.

Magni fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 23, 2015

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/open-beta-announcement/

Guessing OBT on Friday :)

You up for some poopsocking Magni?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

El_Molestadore posted:

Are any of the 3 pre-order premiums MUST HAVES? I say this as someone who has spent a lot of money on World of Tanks and has a garage full of low/mid tier premium tanks that never get played compared to my tier 7/8 premiums. None of these are the type 59 of WoWs, ya? I'm thinking I'm going to save my money and buy a few of the higher tier premiums that I will probably actually play frequently with, like the new Japanese cruiser Atago.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

El_Molestadore posted:

A days warning would have been nice. :argh:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I contacted support to see if it's possible to upgrade from a single ship pack to the 3 ships package and just pay the price difference and unfortunately it's not.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

cheese posted:

Are any of the 3 pre-order premiums MUST HAVES? I say this as someone who has spent a lot of money on World of Tanks and has a garage full of low/mid tier premium tanks that never get played compared to my tier 7/8 premiums. None of these are the type 59 of WoWs, ya? I'm thinking I'm going to save my money and buy a few of the higher tier premiums that I will probably actually play frequently with, like the new Japanese cruiser Atago.

The Grim is rad. Not sure if it's that good though. Maybe the Churchill of WoWS.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Wow that's sooner than I expected.

cheese posted:

I don't think any of the current premiums are must-haves. The only ones worth considering in my opinion are the Grem, Warspite, and Atlanta because they have somewhat unique playstyles. The other premiums are similar to non-premium ships and only worth it if you already know you love that playstyle and want a trainer and creditmaker.

Russian:
Aurora is tier 2 so meh.
Murmansk is an Omaha with longer range torps.
Grem is fast with awesome guns and 8km torps. Playstyle is somewhat unique because the guns traverse so slowly.

Japan:
Yubari plays like a Kuma.
Atago plays like Myoko and Mogami.

US:
Albany is tier 2 so meh.
Sims is pretty much identical to a Farragut/Mahan/Benson.
Atlanta has a fairly unique playstyle due to the number of turrets and fast reload time. You can hold down the left mouse button for sequential fire for a pretty much nonstop stream of shells that you can literally walk onto the target. Guns are short range (11km) for a cruiser since the turrets are twin 127mm destroyer guns.

UK:
Warspite is the only UK ship at the moment if you want a headstart on crew training. It plays differently than most battleships because it is short in length and maneuvers like a cruiser.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

grrarg posted:

UK:
Warspite is the only UK ship at the moment if you want a headstart on crew training. It plays differently than most battleships because it is short in length and maneuvers like a cruiser.

Is it really that unique anymore now that a lot of battleships have short turn radius ?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
While Atlanta offers 12 rpm 8 X twin 6 5 inch (can fire max 7 turrets) its range is short. It comes with torpedo which adds extra firepower you need for taking down battleships at close range. But it's not a must-buy as you'll be focused very quickly so getting into range is hard. It's a good skirmish ship though. Think of it as bigger DD.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 23, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

5 inch, not 6. It's destroyer guns.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

xthetenth posted:

5 inch, not 6. It's destroyer guns.
Oh yeah, Cleveland is 6 inches.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Welp, time to toss ships to their early graves in order to get the CBT reward ship. :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Was I totally not paying attention, or did the Yubari change from a destroyer to a cruiser?

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Was I totally not paying attention, or did the Yubari change from a destroyer to a cruiser?
It's been a cruiser the whole time.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I glanced at them when they first came out, assumed they were all destroyers and never looked at them again :shrug: The only ones I ever see in game are lots of Sims and an occasional Grem

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Ugh. The way torpedoes can hit your ship at any angle and still detonate is bothering me way more than it should. Probably because Wargaming spergs about the most inane bullshit but fails to put in a proper model for one of the main armaments in the game.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

El_Molestadore posted:

Dunno. :)

I'll be in Mumble if I decide to join.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Figured since my progress on the other lines wasn't worth grinding for I better try out this premium destroyer thing... first game 3 kills, in open water map. Thought it had a bit more potential.

I was right, 5th kill was spared a half second by the points victory. It really is like playing a separate game though with destroyer tactics. Completely different feel, nice change of pace. I only briefly tried it when I started, but I think I could get the hang of this.

This was with no bonus.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
So, lovely day in a carrier, I finally got a win in it after 5 games of AFKers... in the open loving ocean where there is nowhere to hide... somehow this happened:

This was with a 2 torp bomber 1 bomber 1 fighter loadout. Okay so how did everyone else do:

:catstare:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Evil_Greven posted:

So, lovely day in a carrier, I finally got a win in it after 5 games of AFKers... in the open loving ocean where there is nowhere to hide... somehow this happened:

This was with a 2 torp bomber 1 bomber 1 fighter loadout. Okay so how did everyone else do:

:catstare:

Sometimes everything goes your way and everyone runs straight into your torpedoes :v:. Looks like half of your team were only good for meatshields. And that one destroyer on the other team was a goddamn hero.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Durendal posted:

Ugh. The way torpedoes can hit your ship at any angle and still detonate is bothering me way more than it should. Probably because Wargaming spergs about the most inane bullshit but fails to put in a proper model for one of the main armaments in the game.

I don't really know, so just asking.

Couldn't the "detonate on any angle" thing be magnetic detonators? Or do they only work under ships?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Magnetic detonators were mainly used in subs, and were often unreliable. Air dropped torpedoes don't even have them.

See in a sub you can take time to compute a good solution where the magnetic det would trigger just below the target ship, breaking it in half. You can't really do that in a combat situation when you are on a destroyer and your solution is changing second by second. You just set those torps to max speed and to run near the surface so you don't accidently miss. Destoryers have such a shallow draft that even torps set to run near the surface could miss them in high seas.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Dunno-Lars posted:

I don't really know, so just asking.

Couldn't the "detonate on any angle" thing be magnetic detonators? Or do they only work under ships?

Magnetic detonators were notoriously unreliable, and mechanical detonators could be crushed or would not operate if they didn't strike the hull squarely, especially on US torpedoes in the early years of the war.

This is what the warhead of a US Mk. 16 torpedo looked like.

And the actual exploder mechanism

quote:

Upon launching of the torpedo the impeller of the exploder begins to rotate. The rotation of the impeller drives a gear train which rotates the delay-device worm wheel and the arming gear. The delay device renders the generator inoperative by grounding its field circuit until the delay wheel has made nearly a complete revolution, at which time the wheel stops, breaking the ground, thus activating the field circuit and allowing the generator to build up operating voltages. In the meantime the rotation of the arming gear has run the detonator up out of the safety chamber into the booster cavity (firing position). The generator charges the large condenser, mounted on the firing-mechanism base plate, which supplies the electrical energy necessary for firing the electrical detonator.

Upon impact with the target, the ball in the impact switch is displaced, and as a result the spring contact of the switch is forced down, making electrical contact with the fixed contact. As soon as electrical contact is made, the condenser is discharged through the electric detonator, setting it off, thus detonating the booster and the main charge in the war head.

An oblique impact might not generate enough force to close the detonating circuit.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I agree, if there is one thing US Destroyers need, it's shittier torpedoes.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Polikarpov posted:

Magnetic detonators were notoriously unreliable, and mechanical detonators could be crushed or would not operate if they didn't strike the hull squarely, especially on US torpedoes in the early years of the war.

:spergin: It was actually the opposite for US torpedoes for the first twenty months of the war. The contact exploder was faulty and was more likely to fail when the torpedo hit at a 90 degree angle. An oblique angle was more likely to result in a detonation.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Looks like June 24 is the start of Open Beta.

Best 0.40 change:

quote:

The alternative battle interface mode can be adjusted in such a way that a player can see detailed information about other ships by pressing the Alt button instead of holding it (toggle, hooray!).

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Unified premium time seems pretty cool. Also camo'd out destroyers :f5:

Smoke deployment time nerf :gonk:

Any news on ordinance changes? I thought there would eventually be gold ammo available, but maybe they're introducing that in the consumable ability things.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
That article is strangely worded. I asked on the EU forums and Tuccy said no, this is not the open beta.

I'm guessing that CBT testers are getting a small head start on OBT but I've no idea why they're not stating things more clearly.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

El_Molestadore posted:

That article is strangely worded. I asked on the EU forums and Tuccy said no, this is not the open beta.

I'm guessing that CBT testers are getting a small head start on OBT but I've no idea why they're not stating things more clearly.

What.

It literally says they're wiping it for open beta.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I launched the game just to check, and as of right now, it's still CBT and I still have all my ships, so no wipe yet, so not open beta yet.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

hopterque posted:

What.

It literally says they're wiping it for open beta.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Locator posted:

So I launched the game just to check, and as of right now, it's still CBT and I still have all my ships, so no wipe yet, so not open beta yet.

The patch isn't till tomorrow, so uh, yeah.

e: the updated the patch notes: "However, this update does not quite signal the start of OBT. We'll have a date for you very soon."

What is going on. 'We're doing the patch and reset for open beta but open beta isn't actually starting yet".

hopterque fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 24, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

They are probably giving it to closed beta people for a few days to see if they missed any issues before opening it to the general public. Also letting beta people move up the tiers to cut down on sealclubbing.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

New thread? With a new OP that links to sekrit PGS tips on how to not suck poo poo? I am terrible and need hand holding. TIA.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Click red boats.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

xthetenth posted:

Click red boats.

Click ahead of red boats

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fawk I didnt git my fiddy in.. im like 4 short. . Fawkm

Adbot