Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

McPantserton posted:

I want to save as much weight as possible, wood is heavy.

Pffffffffff, come on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Samuel posted:

Pffffffffff, come on now.

After having to do rounds of physical therapy from an injury that I think was from wearing a heavy costume piece it doesn't really seem too crazy, haha. I don't have that great of upper body strength and Arthas's pauldrons (which should be pretty light at least) are going to restrict my arm movements because they come down so low so weight is one of the main considerations here.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
I hope you don't have lasting vertebrae damage, I'd definitely recommend weight lifting (for all peoples) to prevent damage.
I'm currently still slimming down for the summer and future cosplays and pretending to be hunky.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Workout routines/measurements count as cosplay construction if you're doing it for cosplay, right?

My friend works out just so he can do silly body-type-specific cosplays like this:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm trying to at least have visible abs so I can cosplay a War Boy from Fury Road.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Body sculpting counts as cosplay :vince:

That nappa is pretty sweet, I know two dudes on DA that are pretty masterful though one is a literal body builder that spent 3000 bucks a month on food.

He deleted most of his poo poo from DA, and moved it to facebook. Thats pretty lame, but he´s pretty much the beefest of beefcakes.

I should just juice up and get it over with.

leg bones
Jan 14, 2011

co-dependent villain
On my slow journey to becoming Captain Jack, I now have actual dreads instead of a wig. I also made a new leather hat, and picked up Skin Illustrator's Pirate Palette, the makeup used in the films.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I think you've shown up here before with your strong resemblance to Mr Depp, and in the shot posted you seem to have the smug smirk down pretty well. The only question left is how's your accent?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I love talking cosplay makeup and I am super intensely interested in how you're using that palette.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
You guys are all so awesome!

I've never done any cosplay before, and I've never really considered myself a cosplayer, but I've always wanted to dress up for cons and stuff. The only problem is I'm not super artistically talented and I don't even know where to start. Add to that that I never quite know who to try out first.

I think I finally have that part figured out:

Sorry for the crap picture, but it just released in the latest Warmachine book and the actual art isn't online anywhere yet. Would this be the worst thing to try my first time out? I think some of it looks fairly simple, but her armor is what has me lost. Any good resources to start off with? I'm so envious of you guys and I want to make something awesome!

Here's a couple more sources

Picture

The model

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
For your first cosplay I'd aim low and do something with fabric and premade parts.

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010

Samuel posted:

Body sculpting counts as cosplay :vince:

That nappa is pretty sweet, I know two dudes on DA that are pretty masterful though one is a literal body builder that spent 3000 bucks a month on food.

He deleted most of his poo poo from DA, and moved it to facebook. Thats pretty lame, but he´s pretty much the beefest of beefcakes.

I should just juice up and get it over with.

Oh hey! That's my friend Dref! Gonna be crashing with him at a con in a couple of weeks. He's super awesome. My fave costume I've seen him do is probably his TIFA ROCKHARD.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

MajorGravy posted:

Oh hey! That's my friend Dref! Gonna be crashing with him at a con in a couple of weeks. He's super awesome. My fave costume I've seen him do is probably his TIFA ROCKHARD.

Get me his routine and diet plan stat, or whatever steroids he takes.

leg bones
Jan 14, 2011

co-dependent villain

CzarChasm posted:

I think you've shown up here before with your strong resemblance to Mr Depp, and in the shot posted you seem to have the smug smirk down pretty well. The only question left is how's your accent?
my accent is awful. i've got the tone down, though . i think.

Bean posted:

I love talking cosplay makeup and I am super intensely interested in how you're using that palette.
It's an alcohol based makeup, so it goes on really interestingly translucent. Layer to go darker, apply more alcohol to lighten up areas. It looks mottled and dirty with little effort.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Shiny Penny posted:

You guys are all so awesome!

I've never done any cosplay before, and I've never really considered myself a cosplayer, but I've always wanted to dress up for cons and stuff. The only problem is I'm not super artistically talented and I don't even know where to start. Add to that that I never quite know who to try out first.

I think I finally have that part figured out:

Sorry for the crap picture, but it just released in the latest Warmachine book and the actual art isn't online anywhere yet. Would this be the worst thing to try my first time out? I think some of it looks fairly simple, but her armor is what has me lost. Any good resources to start off with? I'm so envious of you guys and I want to make something awesome!

Here's a couple more sources

Picture

The model

It would be a lot of work with a high learning curve but my first large cosplay was a Big Daddy from Bioshock and I kinda think jumping in ALL THE WAY was the right choice for me. :D I say do it! To get started what I would do is start checking out people's blogs and armor builds to see what materials they use and how they use them. Then you can evaluate what kind of material you think you'd like to work with. My favorite go-to people who post a lot of tutorials and progress photos in a variety of materials are Kamui Cosplay, Lightning Cosplay (both worbla-heavy), Punished Props, W M Armory (foam), and Johnny Junkers (a lot of sintra/pvc). Kamui even sells armor patterns that you can print off and alter and tutorial books and whatnot. Armor is easier to learn to make now than ever, really, so even starting with something ambitious there are a TON of resources out there to help you get going.

e. I'm also a really big fan of giving yourself a deadline of some kind. I usually try and give myself ~4 months for a costume like that, but I find that without a convention or photoshoot that I need to be done for it's really hard to focus on building with no end point. Costumes end up having a surprising number of little things to wrap up like buckles/attachments, paint, wig styling, etc. so when I NEED to be done for whatever event it's way more likely to all actually happen.

e2. I really love that costume design, armor + a ton of fake fur is basically my whole life

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 26, 2015

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Thanks for the tips! I'd love to rock it at Gen Con this year but there's absolutely no way that's going to happen. I'll definitely have to check out some tutorials and see if I can talk my boyfriend into helping. He's way more artistically inclined than I am.

Hopefully I'll be able to come back with an update!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Shiny Penny posted:

Thanks for the tips! I'd love to rock it at Gen Con this year but there's absolutely no way that's going to happen. I'll definitely have to check out some tutorials and see if I can talk my boyfriend into helping. He's way more artistically inclined than I am.

Hopefully I'll be able to come back with an update!

I started my GenCon costume in the last weekend of March and I'm still stressing, haha. :gonk: My husband is actually holding off on his own Warcraft gear until after GenCon so he can help me because my current poo poo is just more complicated than I'd originally figured. Oops! He's doing all my sewing for me and a lot of sanding/patterning/other assorted construction, it's freaking great to have an assistant. We've both been putting in a shitload of time but at least now I feel confident that the armor will be done in time. If you see me out and about come say hi and we will totally chat materials.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
That would be awesome! I'll keep an eye out for sure.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

I found a hat for you.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Wow yeah that's perfect. Thanks!

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
So here is my half-assed attempt at Captain Toad. I still have to paint the red light thingy silver and I was gonna try to ghetto-rig a yellow headband in there somewhere but I'm literally too lazy. Excuse the dirty mirror and dirty room. Hopefully it isn't too hot at Anime Expo.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Anyone got some top tips for weathering clothing? I am working on a Jason Voorhees outfit, I have amassed basically his entire ensemble...now I just need to gently caress it up and make it look 'pond scummy' but still wearable.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Go swimming in the woods and dry it over an open charcoal/wood fire and smoke it. (It'll stink like fire though) If you're lucky some algea will have stuck to your clothes and dried into it.

Barring that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Vn_abfUSI

Using leather stainer is much easier.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You can also substitute acrylic craft paint for the leather dye, and it'd be much, much cheaper, and it's available in a wider variety of colors than just browns and black.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Leather stains come in many colors.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Don't forget dremel sanding wheels and sandpaper to help weather that fabric to look like complete rear end.

Dynastes
Oct 17, 2008
For the color I usually use spray bottles with diluted acrylic paint and one with bleach to lighten heavy wear areas and change the overall mottling. For physical wear, if it's a heavy fabric that will take it, I've weathered clothes (jeans especially) for zombie costumes by hitting them with a weed eater, running them over with with a lawnmower, dragging them down the street behind a car, and beating them with a hammer over asphalt.

Your results may vary.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

If the base colors are light (white, tan, etc.) try soaking parts of them in some tea. That will give them a pretty good brown stain. You could then double down on some areas to mottle up the color

SMP
May 5, 2009

I'm doing my first cosplay/con at RTX this year, working on a Night's Watch costume. It seems they have a no weapons rule, yet also state that weapons might be checked.

quote:

4. No Weapons
No guns, swords, knives, clubs, or other weapon that may cause harm. Please be aware that if your cosplay includes a fake/simulated weapon, it may be subject to examination.

Does that just mean don't be the idiot who brings a real sword? Are fake swords ok then? Would a sheath with a sword hilt that doesn't come out be fine by these rules?

I guess follow up question: how would I go about getting a realistic looking sword in a sheathe (that doesn't pull out)?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

SMP posted:

I'm doing my first cosplay/con at RTX this year, working on a Night's Watch costume. It seems they have a no weapons rule, yet also state that weapons might be checked.

Does that just mean don't be the idiot who brings a real sword? Are fake swords ok then? Would a sheath with a sword hilt that doesn't come out be fine by these rules?

I guess follow up question: how would I go about getting a realistic looking sword in a sheathe (that doesn't pull out)?

Looks to me like no real swords, and they will prop check your fake ones, yeah. Usually they put a colored ziptie or something on it once it's been approved. Maybe you could find a sheath on ebay and make just a hilt that sticks out, or a sheathed wooden sword that you could alter to look right? I have made sheaths before too by essentially making a fitted box around my prop sword and sanding it so that's always an option.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
People are deathly afraid of the epic "nerd beats 240 people to death with wooden sword" for some reason, some cons I can't even bring repurposed bokuto or a bat for instance. Sometimes you can't bring anything out of wood which sucks because foam weapons look fake as hell.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
On the other end of the spectrum, I've brought 20 Lb bludgeoning devices made entirely out of steel and dense wood and they get "rule of cool"-ed past restrictions, so ymmv.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Samuel posted:

People are deathly afraid of the epic "nerd beats 240 people to death with wooden sword" for some reason, some cons I can't even bring repurposed bokuto or a bat for instance. Sometimes you can't bring anything out of wood which sucks because foam weapons look fake as hell.

It's usually not that. It's more like "nerd swings around his wooden sword to look cool, hits somebody walking behind him in the head." Hell, Anime Weekend Atlanta banned even carryout sales of live steel from the dealers room (basically now it's that you pay for it and post-con the dealer ships it to your house) because some dumbass bought a sword, was trying to look cool for a picture, and sliced an old lady in the face by accident.

Hell, if you bring enormous costume wings, and get a bunch of complaints that you're being inconsiderate and just smacking people with them instead of paying attention to where you're going, security will ask you to take them off.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So far my Harry Dresden staff's made it through everywhere, though only Megacon has required a weapon zip-tie instead of a regular prop check (which Bob the Skull goes through). It's made from an actual tree branch that I carved, so it's basically a solid wood staff about 6 feet long.

This past Megacon one especially creepy guy carried around a riding crop when cosplaying as genderbent Irene Adler from Sherlock, and as Jack from BioShock he carried a real pipe wrench that he liked to "jokingly" swing at people. He also carried around a folding knife, just cuz.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

He also carried around a folding knife, just cuz.

Folding knives are handy :colbert: my nails break on everything and people look askance at you trying to chew open random packaging. That guy is a tool, but don't knock his tool. I mean, his other tool. NEVER MIND.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pile of Kittens posted:

Folding knives are handy :colbert: my nails break on everything and people look askance at you trying to chew open random packaging. That guy is a tool, but don't knock his tool. I mean, his other tool. NEVER MIND.

It's a convention, so any real weapons are 100% banned from the premises. I'm also not entirely sure if he was correct when he claimed that it was legal for him to carry it concealed without a permit.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

taiyoko posted:

because some dumbass bought a sword, was trying to look cool for a picture, and sliced an old lady in the face by accident.

News article now!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I can't find an actual news article, and as I didn't actually witness it, I can't say for sure that it actually happened. It's something I heard happened, and since I heard it, no live steel (not even sheathed and peace-bound) is allowed in the convention.

...I did hear from a fellow staff member that one year someone from Medical got tackled by a Security guy at like 2 in the morning because Medical was so bored they were having wheelchair races in the halls. Security didn't like that, and everybody but the one guy stopped when Security asked.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

It's a convention, so any real weapons are 100% banned from the premises. I'm also not entirely sure if he was correct when he claimed that it was legal for him to carry it concealed without a permit.

Oh, yeah, dude was a dick that wanted to be one of the cool kids that actually had a job-related reason for carrying a utility knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pile of Kittens posted:

Oh, yeah, dude was a dick that wanted to be one of the cool kids that actually had a job-related reason for carrying a utility knife.

He was just a megacreep in every way. Literally the first thing he did upon meeting me was caress my face with his riding crop. He described himself as a sociopath and liked showing off the scars he had from getting stabbed. I spent most of my short time around him waiting for him to actually try to harm me.