Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

It's just funny when people criticize others for adopting an us vs them mentality and then turn around and venerate a guy who's been dead for over a century and who would probably vote for your enemies before you (even with the Confederate apologia included).

If Lee hadn't been quite so loyal to Virginia we would probably see "Good ol' Robert E Lee should have nuked the South" image macros today.

Just imagine a world where the Union army, with its vast advantage in manpower and material, starts the war off with a brilliant commander like Lee and not the parade of nitwit fuckups they actually had until Meade got the call just before Gettysburg. With Lee in command for the U.S., the war is likely over in a few months, most of the south is not burned to the ground, who knows how many future Johann Sebastian Bachs, Albert Einsteins, and Thomas Edisons are not sacrificed on the altar of defending slavery, and more than half a million people don't die.

So, basically, mother-gently caress Robert E. Lee so hard it can be heard from space. At least he got to suffer the horror of watching his entire army get slowly ground to beef chunks by George Meade and U.S. Grant and spent the rest of his life remembering his epic failure at Gettysburg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
In which Charles Pierce at Esquire seems to be reading along on SA, or at least saw the current thread title.

FBI Busts ISIS-Inspired Teenager: Terrorism Is a Variable Concept.

quote:

Down in North Carolina, the FBI managed to tempt another teenaged misfit into dreaming his grandiose dreams in public, and then busted him for having done so, striking another blow against ISIS here in the United States. You know Justin Nojan Sullivan was a serious threat to the homeland because they're using his middle name.

It's unclear how much of a threat Sullivan actually posed.

Apparently.

He certainly talked big, telling the undercover he might want to kill as many as 1,000 people, set off a big vehicle bomb or use chemical weapons, a criminal complaint says. He even talked about coating bullets with cyanide and robbing banks, the feds say. But he apparently wasn't on investigators' radar until April, when his father called 911 to report that he was destroying Buddha figurines and had doused their religious objects with gasoline."We are scared to leave the house," the father told the operator, according to the court documents. Sullivan could he heard in the background asking, "Why are you trying to say I'm a terrorist?"

At which point, the feds smelled an opportunity and leaped in.

Weeks later, an undercover operative made contact with Sullivan, who allegedly told him, "I liked IS from the beginning, then I started thinking about death and stuff so I became a Muslim."The FBI says Sullivan talked about buying an assault rifle from a gun show in North Carolina and shoot people last weekend "because his parents would be out of town at the time." He did not buy a rifle before he was arrested Friday but allegedly planned to purchase one at the Hickory Gun Show last weekend. The criminal complaint says Sullivan confessed to plotting an attack, telling authorities that he looked for possible targets in the online Yellow Pages and had asked the undercover agent to kill his parents.

So far, this appears to be a "threat" best confronted with some serious psychotherapy and, perhaps, the odd antidepressant or three, and not 25 years in the federal pen. My biggest fear is that some of these clever dicks in the FBI are going to work these games on the wrong person, who then goes out and actually lives out his fantasy and people wind up being dead. Of course, one state over, everybody ignored the clear signals transmitted to the world by Dylann Roof, who cannot be a terrorist because he is white, and a radical right-wing crazoid, and, especially, because he was not doing business with undercover FBI agents.

Edit: slow day at work, so I have all the time in the world to read up on some stuff I missed. Came across a gem of a quote in this article from the NYT, where one of the Sons of the Confederate Veterans comes sooo close to getting it.

Flag Supporters React With a Mix of Compromise, Caution and Outright Defiance

quote:

COLUMBIA, S.C. — It has been quite a few years since the lost cause has appeared quite as lost as it did Tuesday. As the afternoon drew on and their retreat turned into a rout, the lingering upholders of the Confederacy watched as license plates, statues and prominently placed Confederate battle flags slipped from their reach.

“This is the beginning of communism,” said Robert Lampley, who was standing in the blazing sun in front of the South Carolina State House shortly after the legislature voted overwhelmingly to debate the current placement of the Confederate battle flag. “The South is the last bastion of liberty and independence. I know we’re going to lose eventually.”

“Our people are dying off,” he went on, before encouraging a white reporter to “keep reproducing.”

Confederate sympathizers across the country have insisted over the last few days that the racism-fueled massacre of nine black people in a Charleston church had nothing to do with their symbols, even though Dylann Roof, charged in the killings, embraced those symbols in photos and in his speech. But such arguments have had limited effect, as politicians all over the South have reacted to the shooting by welcoming the elimination of such symbols, or at least some high-profile ones, from state property.

Resistance to this push has varied, with some hard-core Confederate sympathizers who swore defiance to politicians explaining that they simply thought things were moving too quickly. Lawmakers in South Carolina who voted against opening the placement of the flag to debate said they were concerned that the flag’s rushed removal would lead to the renaming of countless streets and the destruction of Confederate monuments that are strewn across the state.

“We want to proceed and make sure that we’re doing it properly and we don’t have unintended consequences,” said State Representative Craig Gagnon, who is originally from Lowell, Mass. — with forebears who fought for the Union — but represents a conservative district. “We don’t want to just trash everything and take everything away.”

He thought a good compromise would be to replace the battle flag at the State House with another flag from the Confederacy, one that had not become so associated with contemporary racist movements. Others were not inclined to talk compromise at all.

“You’re asking me to agree that my great-grandparent and great-great-grandparents were monsters,” said Greg Stewart, a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and the executive director of Beauvoir, the last home of Jefferson Davis.

Mr. Stewart was livid at the “reckless and unnecessary” statement by Philip Gunn, the Republican speaker of the Mississippi House of Representatives, that the Confederate battle saltire needed to be removed from the Mississippi state flag. Mr. Stewart pointed out that the state had voted by huge margins to keep the flag as it was in 2001, and that should have been that.

Here in South Carolina, members of the state division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans were not as fervent in opposition to their political representatives, but they did maintain that now was not the time to discuss moving the flag. While he insisted that hatred and racism had no place in the organization, Kenneth Thrasher, the lieutenant commander for the division, said in an interview that he could understand taking down the flag while the Rev. Clementa C. Pinckney, a state senator and one of the nine killed in Charleston, was lying in state.

“But to permanently decide today is a little too fast,” he said. “The flag didn’t kill anybody. It was a deranged young man who did.” Mr. Thrasher said he could be agreeable to a compromise, like allowing the flag to fly in front of the state museum.

This sentiment was not universally well received among the membership.

“He should be knocking heads together instead of just laying down and rolling over,” said Harris Dail, a member who lives in Topeka, Kan., and who accused Mr. Thrasher of having “caved in with the rest of these brainwashed people” in a comment on the division’s website.

Those who sold Confederate goods said efforts to remove the flag from stores were based on a misunderstanding of its current meaning to many Southerners. Freddie Rich, the owner of RebelStore.com from Kings Mountain, N.C., which sells Confederate flags and bumper stickers (including one that reads, “I Believe the South Was Right, and I Don’t Believe in Slavery — Then or Now”) said his customers bought Confederacy-themed merchandise as an expression of regional pride and admiration for Civil War veterans.

“There’s nothing racial about it,” he said of the flag. “This is history to us.”

Still, it was a mixed day. With Walmart and Sears ceasing to sell Confederate merchandise, Mr. Rich said his store had around a 2,000 percent increase in sales in the last 24 hours. Told that eBay had also announced a ban, he let out a whoop.

Finally, there were some who were resigned to surrender.

In Austin, Tex., a tall bearded man went into the tattoo parlor where Kelly Barr works with a request: the removal a 10-year-old tattoo of the Confederate flag.

He told Mr. Barr that he had decided to get the flag removed when he saw the pained look on a middle-age black woman at his gym on Monday.

“ ‘If South Carolina can take theirs down,’ ” Mr. Barr recalled him saying, “ ‘I can take mine down.’ ” I told him, ‘Right on.’ ”

Yes, exactly. Your forefathers explicitly fought to preserve the institution of slavery and betrayed their own government to do it. This is what makes the idea of 'honoring my heritage' so ludicrous in my opinion. Leaving aside the fact that I don't get fetishizing people who lived loooong before you were born, I am Dutch and if I found out my grandparents or great grandparents had collaborated with the nazi's, I sure as hell wouldn't be coming up with elaborate justifications as to why I should revere them.

The whole article is worth a read.

Edit 2: Ok, this is weird. From a piece at TPM about all the different places/people that now want to get rid of Confederate flags/statues/symbols.

quote:

Kentucky

Republican U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday that his state of Kentucky must remove a statue of Confederate President Jefferson Davis from the state Capitol's rotunda. The statue stands a few paces from that of another native Kentuckian, Abraham Lincoln. McConnell said Davis' only connection to Kentucky is that was born there. Davis moved to Mississippi, and Kentucky never officially joined the Confederacy. McConnell suggested a better place for the statue would be the Kentucky History Museum.

Republican Kentucky Senate President Robert Stivers said Tuesday that he now favors removing the statue. The Republican nominee for governor, Matt Bevin, also agrees. Democratic nominee Jack Conway, state attorney general, said he agreed with Haley's call to remove the flag but said he would have to think about whether to remove the Davis statue.

What the hell? Dixiecrats are still an actual thing in 2015? How is a Democrat the only one not calling for the removal of a statue of Jefferson Davis? :psyduck:

richardfun fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 24, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Antti posted:

More importantly, that's not his passport. I realize almost all of his readership will have no idea what a real passport looks like since they'll never need one, but the tweet is meant to give you the idea that his passport has somehow been revoked.

I don't know exactly what it is, based on your post I imagine it's some kind of entry slip that just has similar identity information as your passport on it, but that sure as hell isn't a passport.

It's a slip you get from the immigration pre-check kiosk before you go through the line to talk to a human being. Some of them get marked randomly with an X the same way some people get marked for random check during TSA screenings.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/23/lindy-west-racism-america-us-white-supremacy

My country is a racist country – built on the lie of freedom and opportunity
Lindy West

Pretty, uh, angry.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Quote of the Day, "The highly respected Suffolk University poll just announced that I am alone in 2nd place in New Hampshire, with Jeb Bust (Bush) in first."- Donald Trump, on Twitter.

I love how he's able to sound supremely dickish, even when he's 'just' (the jab at Bush notwithstanding) relaying the results from a poll.

Please never change, Donald :allears:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Neurolimal posted:

It's lovely that many of our historical figures owned slaves, and if there exists a monument celebrating Jefferson's owning of slaves and contributing to the slave economy I would be for its destruction. It's a good thing that's not what our tributes are celebrating.

Hermitage not Hate

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Why are we supposed to take down the confederate flag yet let the gay pride flag fly? Remember when the gay states rebelled because they wanted to keep Christians as slaves?

Oh wait that didn't happen? I guess this argument is loving stupid then and one hell of a false equivalency

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

A sad day for America, everybody.

Fox dumps Sarah Palin

Now who will we rely on for our irregularly scheduled word salad?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

McDowell posted:

Americans shouldn't deny their history. Like I said, Jefferson Davis is a character worth remembering. Don't try to blank out history.

“Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.” - Stephen King

War is War. War is hell. How easy it is to forget.

The memorials that you are defending exist specifically to deny history. That's what the Lost Cause mythology is all about, covering up what really happened :psyduck:

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

quote:

New York Times: “Since Sept. 11, 2001, nearly twice as many people have been killed by white supremacists, antigovernment fanatics and other non-Muslim extremists than by radical Muslims: 48 have been killed by extremists who are not Muslim, compared with 26 by self-proclaimed jihadists, according to a count by New America, a Washington research center.”

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

McDowell posted:

Americans shouldn't deny their history. Like I said, Jefferson Davis is a character worth remembering. Don't try to blank out history.

No monument to Hitler exists but people know plenty about the evil he committed.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Everyone voting to preserve the confederate flag anywhere in the country should have their vote only counted as 3/5ths of a vote. That should be reasonable.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

richardfun posted:

A sad day for America, everybody.

Fox dumps Sarah Palin

Now who will we rely on for our irregularly scheduled word salad?

Didn't she launch her own channel not long ago where she spewed some kind of drunken tirade?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

FAUXTON posted:

No monument to Hitler exists but people know plenty about the evil he committed.

Post a huge copy of Mississippi's secession proclamation in every place still flying the stars & bars so people know what the "heritage" they won't shut up about really means.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Young Freud posted:

I'm proud that my state actually has this monument, considering it was a Confederate state...

It's the Treue Der Union monument, in Comfort, Texas. It's a tribute to German immigrants who resisted the Confederacy and to the 31 conscientious objectors who were killed in a massacre by James Duff's Partisan Raiders. Their bodies were subsequently thrown into the Nueces river, never to be recovered.

And yes, the flag is permanent at half-mast.

See, we need more stuff like this. There were plenty of southern abolitionists who fought the system. There was a massive amount of southern militias who refused to secede and fought the confederacy. There were a ton of slaves who took up arms against their masters. There were a great many women who fought back when the confederate army came to steal supplies. Revisionists want to say that these are symbols of rebelling and rejection of authority? Well those men and women who resisted the confederacy, who opposed the institution of slavery, it's preservation and expansion, they the the ones who refused to bend or bow to the dictates of the easily influenced crowd around them. It takes immense strength of character to break away from the rest of your community and say "this is wrong". It takes immense integrity to refuse to comply with an act you feel is morally wrong. It takes incredible bravery for the margins of society to fight against an army for their rights, even more so knowing their fate will not be a quick death if they lose.

Those are the people we should be honoring. Men like Robert Smalls, not Robert Lee

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

evilweasel posted:

This is sort of amazing to watch, it's 140 years of thin justifications for venerating the confederacy just collapsing overnight.

In the STS context, Latour talks a lot about how it is precisely those social constructions / consensuses which seem the most stable that can disappear the most quickly if one string is pulled. As soon as pulling down the flag went up for vote, though, it was over; that re-opened a closed issue, and required people to take a stance of attacking/defending the flag, as opposed to maintaining the status quo.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

computer parts posted:

It's just funny when people criticize others for adopting an us vs them mentality and then turn around and venerate a guy who's been dead for over a century and who would probably vote for your enemies before you (even with the Confederate apologia included).

If Lee hadn't been quite so loyal to Virginia we would probably see "Good ol' Robert E Lee should have nuked the South" image macros today.

Drop the empty moral signaling, would you?

"Heh, you respect a guy who overcame the attitudes and society he was raised in and went on to smash the system and helped bring about real radical change. You fool, those attitudes and society he was raised in means he wasn't ideologically as pure as me. God, what a sports team mentality, honoring a guy who helped make the world a better place"

Your complaints of "he'd probably vote for your enemies" requires you to ignore he didn't side with the forces of oppression, he raised and lead a loving army against them. You sound like one of those Fox News assholes criticizing Occupy because "don't they know they were raised in a capitalist society and everything they have comes from capitalism?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fried Chicken posted:

See, we need more stuff like this. There were plenty of southern abolitionists who fought the system. There was a massive amount of southern militias who refused to secede and fought the confederacy. There were a ton of slaves who took up arms against their masters. There were a great many women who fought back when the confederate army came to steal supplies. Revisionists want to say that these are symbols of rebelling and rejection of authority? Well those men and women who resisted the confederacy, who opposed the institution of slavery, it's preservation and expansion, they the the ones who refused to bend or bow to the dictates of the easily influenced crowd around them. It takes immense strength of character to break away from the rest of your community and say "this is wrong". It takes immense integrity to refuse to comply with an act you feel is morally wrong. It takes incredible bravery for the margins of society to fight against an army for their rights, even more so knowing their fate will not be a quick death if they lose.

Those are the people we should be honoring. Men like Robert Smalls, not Robert Lee

Floridian here, there's a local county park built on the site of a small fort where a brigade of pro-Union Confederate rebels set up shop and overthrew Confederate authority in the area. Florida was a morass of anti-Confederate rebellion and runaway slaves during the war - and, admittedly, a few massacres of blacks.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Drone posted:

Didn't she launch her own channel not long ago where she spewed some kind of drunken tirade?

She's really off the wagon and they rightfully can't count on her at this point to even be coherent.

She'll probably be dead of organ failure in ten years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah but Muslim terrorist deaths are triple death score.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Cythereal posted:

Floridian here, there's a local county park built on the site of a small fort where a brigade of pro-Union Confederate rebels set up shop and overthrew Confederate authority in the area. Florida was a morass of anti-Confederate rebellion and runaway slaves during the war - and, admittedly, a few massacres of blacks.

Shame Florida couldn't hold it together post-reconstruction. :smithicide:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why do Southerners that hate everything about America (the real one, not the one represented by stars and bars) even celebrate Independence Day? The highest incidence of "murrica can do no wrong" thinking is in the place where American ideals are hated the most.

The most bizarre thing to me about white Southerners is that they're the first to schlob the knob of the US military, the thing that defeated them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

Why do Southerners that hate everything about America (the real one, not the one represented by stars and bars) even celebrate Independence Day? The highest incidence of "murrica can do no wrong" thinking is in the place where American ideals are hated the most.

The most bizarre thing to me about white Southerners is that they're the first to schlob the knob of the US military, the thing that defeated them.
It helps if you think of hypocrisy as the default state of the human mind, something that can only be overcome through education and introspection.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

This is sort of amazing to watch, it's 140 years of thin justifications for venerating the confederacy just collapsing overnight. The murders were a horrible crime but so many others have had no effect before.

There are a lot of Southerners who are heavily emotionally invested in the stars-and-bars. They either welcome the association with slavery, refuse to see it, or think that they can somehow "reclaim" the flag from people like Jefferson Davis, David Duke, and Dylann Roof. The attempt to scour it from polite society is being taken as a personal attack on who they are, which is being met with the expected emotionally-charged defenses.

Assuming for the sake of argument that you're not willing to excise family members and friends over this, how do you go about breaking through that barrier? Cutting people out of your life seems counterproductive when they can easily find an online community of like-minded people to replace you.

Edit: There is so much to enjoy about the south, it's tragic that people are focusing on something so divisive as the symbol of their identity.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Reminder that black Southerners are Southerners too. Stop lumping an entire region into an evil Other.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I feel bad for Palin. Yeah, she says some dumb stuff and has probably done some level of damage to the political system... but in reality, she was a small-town governor who was probably somewhat in over her head as goverrnor, then got rocketed to the race for the second highest office in the land simply because she was an attractive (politically and otherwise) young woman. All that stress probably caused her to hit the bottle (or whatever) pretty hard to deal, and now it's all coming crashing down.

Yeah the liberal in me has some schadenfreude, but I hope everything turns out reasonably ok for her :(

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Radbot posted:

American Southerners of all colors have traditionally been less educated than north easterners (due in part to slavery economics and the failures of reconstruction) and as such as far more susceptible to the sophisticated marketing techniques of the pentagon.

Also for whatever reason we really never had huge immigration pushes that would have brought with them new ideas/cultural identities etc. All our immigrants were uh in chains.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

berzerker posted:

Reminder that black Southerners are Southerners too. Stop lumping an entire region into an evil Other.

Who has lumped all southerners into an evil other? You're the first person I've noticed who has used "Southerners" completely unqualified.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

SgtScruffy posted:

I feel bad for Palin. Yeah, she says some dumb stuff and has probably done some level of damage to the political system... but in reality, she was a small-town governor who was probably somewhat in over her head as goverrnor, then got rocketed to the race for the second highest office in the land simply because she was an attractive (politically and otherwise) young woman. All that stress probably caused her to hit the bottle (or whatever) pretty hard to deal, and now it's all coming crashing down.

Yeah the liberal in me has some schadenfreude, but I hope everything turns out reasonably ok for her :(

I'd be more sympathetic if she didn't willingly help poison political discourse in the US.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

berzerker posted:

Sure as poo poo ain't their flag

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Radbot posted:

One of the most prominent features of Lost Cause historiography and confederate apologia is to situate the confederacy as the true heirs of the American Revolution and the founding fathers.

In the mind of the Lost Causer, neo-confederates, confederates and the founding fathers are all part of a great tradition of political freedom and Liberty which has gradually been subverted, over the course of centuries, by the pernicious forces of Liberalism.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

Are you aware that helping Walmart workers unionize would help infinitely more women, to an infinitely greater degree, than some milquetoast non-commitment to "have more women in our executive positions"?

She was First Lady of Arkansas, a practicing lawyer, actively working on improving AK's school system, and also pushing climate change and health care initiatives.

She didn't have time to try to build a Walmart union from the ground up. She did have time to go to four board meetings a year.

And having more female bosses is a big loving deal.

Grapplejack posted:

I don't get the hard defense people will throw up for Hillary on these forums. Almost everyone in this thread is going to vote for her anyway and you're not going to convince anyone that she's "actually really good and also perfect you guys".

I don't get the people who ignore facts when dissing her. The attacks I see you guys slamming her with on these boards are utter nonsense that doesn't hold up to inspection.

Researching them has dramatically improved my opinion of Clinton because every time I've dug into one of these innuendo laced slanders what I found underneath wasn't bad at all.

And watching you backtrack when presented with facts is funny.

Where are we now with the Walmart thing ? Right. I believe your goal posts are now on a line where you are mad that the First Lady of Arkansas ... who was also practicing law and also donating free legal expertise to charity for the poor and also leading a committee to improve Arkansas schools ( she got Sam loving Walton to back a corporate tax increase in 1991 to fund AK vocational schools which would be characterized as a job killing tax on business when Bill ran for president ) ... Anywho a very very busy woman with little free time ... It is now being argued that we should spit on the good she did in a few board meetings because it isn't as good as what you think she could have done ( maybe ) if she'd dropped everything else she was doing and tilted at that one windmill of Walmart labor relations.

Even though in the intervening three decades many people have worked on that and gotten absolutely nowhere.

And you accuse me of being unrealistic when the argument you are using assumes that Hillary Clinton is superhuman enough to have been able to do something that everyone else who has tried has failed to accomplish..

Or are you dropping that argument and retreating to "attack the messanger" by calling me o'malley?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

The memorials that you are defending exist specifically to deny history. That's what the Lost Cause mythology is all about, covering up what really happened :psyduck:

Memorials/museums can be given additional context - the popular understanding of the Civil War absolutely needs to change. Slavery has always been unjust - but it only became economically obsolete with the advent of industrialization - where literally owning human muscle power is now clearly inferior to owning a machine that can do the same work. The ruling class in the South was so attached to this economic model they broke up the nation trying to preserve it. The fact that this caste system used childish logic based on phenotype hasn't done this country any favors.

I'm all for reminding people that the Battle Flag is a national embarrassment and talking about the Civil War as a very ugly chapter in the labor struggle - but I think a national 'debate' over street names is a distraction from wider issues. If local activists want to rename 'Nathan Bedford Forest Lane' I wish them luck - but having it dominate national politics is pure media spectacle.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Hey McAlister, you posted a while back about the male vs. female approach to consensus-building. Do you happen to have any peer-reviewed papers (or popular coverage of them) that you could pass along? I don't think I asked back then, but I'd be interested in reading more.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

McDowell posted:

Memorials/museums can be given additional context - the popular understanding of the Civil War absolutely needs to change. Slavery has always been unjust - but it only became economically obsolete with the advent of industrialization - where literally owning human muscle power is now clearly inferior to owning a machine that can do the same work. The ruling class in the South was so attached to this economic model they broke up the nation trying to preserve it. The fact that this caste system used childish logic based on phenotype hasn't done this country any favors.

I'm all for reminding people that the Battle Flag is a national embarrassment and talking about the Civil War as a very ugly chapter in the labor struggle - but I think a national 'debate' over street names is a distraction from wider issues. If local activists want to rename 'Nathan Bedford Forest Lane' I wish them luck - but having it dominate national politics is pure media spectacle.

:goonsay:

It's no coincidence that goonsay is white

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Why are we supposed to take down the confederate flag yet let the gay pride flag fly? Remember when the gay states rebelled because they wanted to keep Christians as slaves?

Oh wait that didn't happen? I guess this argument is loving stupid then and one hell of a false equivalency

"No but see, wedding cake shops are being forced to do work they don't want to do, which is basically slavery."

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

richardfun posted:

What the hell? Dixiecrats are still an actual thing in 2015? How is a Democrat the only one not calling for the removal of a statue of Jefferson Davis? :psyduck:

I see you don't know much about The South.

deep-south states with large black populations (mississippi, alabama, georgia, south carolina, etc) have polarized in such a way that the Republicans are effectively the white-people party and the Democrats are effectively the black-people party, with their democrats thus tending to be more liberal than the national norm. Electoral results tend to very closely resemble demographic proportions, with >85% of white votes going R and >95% of black votes going D.

midsouth states with lower smaller populations (kentucky, arkansas, tennessee, west virginny) do not have this arrangement, and feature Democratic parties that still command and are reliant upon the votes of conservative white ruralfolk, much like the dixiecrats of old. Which is one of the reason's they've taken so much longer to swing +R.

Conway, being a well-to-do lawyer from urban Louisville, probably doesn't care much for the confederate flag, but he's also notoriously mealy-mouthed and pandering as a politician, so it's unsurprising to see him tiptoeing around the issue like an idiot.

More interesting will be the response from current governor Steve Beshear, who fits the kinda-classic Kentucky Democrat profile of being to the left of many other Democratic governors on economics but to the right of many Republican governors on social and cultural issues.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LionYeti posted:

Nah still gonna be a Neo Liberal Hackjob nomatter what.

It's absolutely a neo liberal hackjob and there are a ton of stuff in it that is utter poo poo like the patent stuff but it also almost totally fucks Chinese dominance in the region for the foreseeable future which is a huge positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

McDowell posted:

As opposed to what? The guy shoots people in a church so we overthrow the fetters of capitalism and rework society overnight into a glorious new era? Breaking down symbolic ties to a racist past matters. It's only a 'distraction' if you seriously think we would be having some other more valuable conversation otherwise, instead of news about Obama going golfing during a drought or Jeb Bush saying something dumb.

• Locked thread