Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big business man
Sep 30, 2012

McAlister posted:

She was First Lady of Arkansas, a practicing lawyer, actively working on improving AK's school system, and also pushing climate change and health care initiatives.

She didn't have time to try to build a Walmart union from the ground up. She did have time to go to four board meetings a year.

And having more female bosses is a big loving deal.

I don't get the people who ignore facts when dissing her. The attacks I see you guys slamming her with on these boards are utter nonsense that doesn't hold up to inspection.

Researching them has dramatically improved my opinion of Clinton because every time I've dug into one of these innuendo laced slanders what I found underneath wasn't bad at all.

And watching you backtrack when presented with facts is funny.

Where are we now with the Walmart thing ? Right. I believe your goal posts are now on a line where you are mad that the First Lady of Arkansas ... who was also practicing law and also donating free legal expertise to charity for the poor and also leading a committee to improve Arkansas schools ( she got Sam loving Walton to back a corporate tax increase in 1991 to fund AK vocational schools which would be characterized as a job killing tax on business when Bill ran for president ) ... Anywho a very very busy woman with little free time ... It is now being argued that we should spit on the good she did in a few board meetings because it isn't as good as what you think she could have done ( maybe ) if she'd dropped everything else she was doing and tilted at that one windmill of Walmart labor relations.

Even though in the intervening three decades many people have worked on that and gotten absolutely nowhere.

And you accuse me of being unrealistic when the argument you are using assumes that Hillary Clinton is superhuman enough to have been able to do something that everyone else who has tried has failed to accomplish..

Or are you dropping that argument and retreating to "attack the messanger" by calling me o'malley?

okay, some facts:

She is extremely pro-Israel, going above and beyond Obama's positions

She voted for the Iraq War

She voted for the PATRIOT Act

quote:

The Clintons were stockholders in Wal-Mart at the time she was a board member,[44] and Rose Law Firm, where Clinton was a partner had Wal-Mart as a client.[45] While a board member, Clinton had been silent about the company's infamously anti-labor union practices,[46][47] although she pushed successfully for the chain to adopt more environmentally-friendly practices[46] and had pushed largely unsuccessfully for more women to be added to the company's management.[46]

A January 31, 2008 article from ABC News states, "An ABC News analysis of the videotapes of at least four stockholder meetings where Clinton appeared shows she never once rose to defend the role of American labor unions."[48]

She's against raising the tax cap for Social Security

I'm glad that she pushed for environmental measures on her time on Wal Mart's board, but labor issues are very important to a ton of people (me especially!) so it's still a pretty valid criticism!

Are we allowed to criticize her on these issues or are we just 'ignoring facts' that she is the Azor Ahai of Democratic politics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Remember this guy who I posted is saying No to taking down the flag?

well....

quote:

"These people sat in there and waited their turn to be shot," Chumley said. "That's sad. Somebody in there with a means of self-defense could've stopped this."

Chumley argued the victims "waited" because the shooter "reloaded his gun in the process."

"Why didn't somebody just do something?" Chumley added. "You've got one skinny person shooting a gun. We need to do what we can."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/24/bill-chumley-charleston-shooting_n_7653182.html

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

berzerker posted:

As opposed to what? The guy shoots people in a church so we overthrow the fetters of capitalism and rework society overnight into a glorious new era? Breaking down symbolic ties to a racist past matters.

Not really. Especially since this will give people a sense of accomplishment and progress that will dampen the will to do other practically important things like talk about and remedy actual racism instead of symbolic racism.

I mean, gently caress the Confederate flag, but people dusting off their hands and feeling like they've won a major battle is not accurate. Especially since for a time the fuckheads who love the CSA are going to fly the flag even more in protest.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

well....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/24/bill-chumley-charleston-shooting_n_7653182.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQM4ebFILv4

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

well....

I hope all the hand waiving gives this man a stroke and he loses speaking privileges.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

Not really. Especially since this will give people a sense of accomplishment and progress that will dampen the will to do other practically important things like talk about and remedy actual racism instead of symbolic racism.

It's a start and something that needs to happen but yeah America usually only has the political will and energy to get one thing done every year or so.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good news, these 9 people have not died in vain! Wait Confederate flag sales are up 3600%

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

zoux posted:

I mean, gently caress the Confederate flag, but people dusting off their hands and feeling like they've won a major battle is not accurate. Especially since for a time the fuckheads who love the CSA are going to fly the flag even more in protest.

I agree, that Montgomery bus boycott was a waste of time.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

Good news, these 9 people have not died in vain! Wait Confederate flag sales are up 3600%

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/18/hostess-twinkies-demand_n_3615900.html

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Gee who could have predicted that major retailers announcing they'd stop supplying them would lead to hoarders and businesses that see an opportunity to stock up.

Not very shocking or disappointing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

berzerker posted:

I agree, that Montgomery bus boycott was a waste of time.

Haha, yeah same thing there :thumbsup: I'm glad you're perfectly satisfied with the national response to this shooting.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

SgtScruffy posted:

I feel bad for Palin. Yeah, she says some dumb stuff and has probably done some level of damage to the political system... but in reality, she was a small-town governor who was probably somewhat in over her head as goverrnor, then got rocketed to the race for the second highest office in the land simply because she was an attractive (politically and otherwise) young woman. All that stress probably caused her to hit the bottle (or whatever) pretty hard to deal, and now it's all coming crashing down.

Yeah the liberal in me has some schadenfreude, but I hope everything turns out reasonably ok for her :(

I don't, for this one reason: She could have said no.

She could have told John McCain "No, thank you. I don't believe I'm ready."

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 24, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

McDowell posted:

Memorials/museums can be given additional context - the popular understanding of the Civil War absolutely needs to change. Slavery has always been unjust - but it only became economically obsolete with the advent of industrialization - where literally owning human muscle power is now clearly inferior to owning a machine that can do the same work. The ruling class in the South was so attached to this economic model they broke up the nation trying to preserve it. The fact that this caste system used childish logic based on phenotype hasn't done this country any favors.

I'm all for reminding people that the Battle Flag is a national embarrassment and talking about the Civil War as a very ugly chapter in the labor struggle - but I think a national 'debate' over street names is a distraction from wider issues. If local activists want to rename 'Nathan Bedford Forest Lane' I wish them luck - but having it dominate national politics is pure media spectacle.

This pretty much incoherent slop - you want to add context so that people will realize they shouldn't honor the man the memorials are made to honor and somehow expect them not to ask the question "well if we shouldn't honor him why do we have a memorial honoring him?" But what the hell, I'll bite - please explain your plan to give additional context and information that can be absorbed and understood by drivers and passengers as they blow down Jefferson Davis highway at 70 mph. While you are at it please provide a resolution to the contradiction of "why have a statue honoring the man when we have signs saying don't honor him". Remember that unlike places such as the Holocaust museum, which exists to educate, the point of these memorials are explicitly to honor and praise these people (eg the statues in Austin that for vandalized last night)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Now that the flag is gone, shall we discuss the racist rhetoric and internet support groups that the shooter engaged in and reinforced his radicalization?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Now that the flag is gone, shall we discuss the racist rhetoric and internet support groups that the shooter engaged in and reinforced his radicalization?

Hey so since you can see the future and complain about outcomes that haven't even happened yet, how about you tell me next weeks powerball numbers?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey so since you can see the future and complain about outcomes that haven't even happened yet, how about you tell me next weeks powerball numbers?

I can look at national news coverage today and see nothing about the shooting but tons of stuff about the confederate flag. I mean is your argument that "Hey, you don't know if the national news media will suddenly shift the narrative that has already developed and replaced the original story less than a week after the event"? Because that's a pretty weak loving argument.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

I can look at national news coverage today and see nothing about the shooting but tons of stuff about the confederate flag. I mean is your argument that "Hey, you don't know if the national news media will suddenly shift the narrative that has already developed and replaced the original story less than a week after the event"? Because that's a pretty weak loving argument.

Your argument is that the large groups that have been building for the past few years that mobilized here and started pushing on confederate symbolism will evaporate after this and not continue to build grow and work towards their goals.

Guess which argument is weaker?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Your argument is that the large groups that have been building for the past few years that mobilized here and started pushing on confederate symbolism will evaporate after this and not continue to build grow and work towards their goals.

Guess which argument is weaker?

No my argument that pushing against confederate symbolism should be a secondary effect of efforts to combat institutionalized racism and hate groups and not a satisfactory end result.

I think for a lot of people around here, they are getting off on southern schadenfreude and think that making racists sad is real social progress.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

zoux posted:

News organizations: well known for avoiding new stories.

zoux posted:

No my argument that pushing against confederate symbolism should be a secondary effect of efforts to combat institutionalized racism and hate groups and not a satisfactory end result.

I think for a lot of people around here, they are getting off on southern schadenfreude and think that making racists sad is real social progress.
I don't think anyone thinks it's a satisfactory end point, I just don't think it's an end point. I also don't think instant, "real" social progress was ever on the table, so I'm happy to take whatever good can be salvaged from this event. Bigger social progress will continue to require long-term, committed work, just as it required it before this event.

berzerker fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 24, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Then what the gently caress are we arguing about? Do people disagree that while the Confederate flag being removed from public grounds and retailers is good, if that were the only tangible result of expending whatever limited wherewithal to discuss controversial subjects and enact positive change that we gain after such tragedies, then that would be bad?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Yup - identity politics is all about mirroring. It's the same logic as conservative positions that only exist to 'make liberals mad'. You need a wider ideological objective when attacking symbols - otherwise you are just one part of the mob being turned against the other.

berzerker posted:

What are TTIP and TISA?

errad
May 31, 2013

Grundulum posted:

There are a lot of Southerners who are heavily emotionally invested in the stars-and-bars. They either welcome the association with slavery, refuse to see it, or think that they can somehow "reclaim" the flag from people like Jefferson Davis, David Duke, and Dylann Roof. The attempt to scour it from polite society is being taken as a personal attack on who they are, which is being met with the expected emotionally-charged defenses.

Assuming for the sake of argument that you're not willing to excise family members and friends over this, how do you go about breaking through that barrier? Cutting people out of your life seems counterproductive when they can easily find an online community of like-minded people to replace you.

Edit: There is so much to enjoy about the south, it's tragic that people are focusing on something so divisive as the symbol of their identity.

I could use help with this question too. An otherwise compassionate, dear friend of mine, is proud to own a confederate flag, because of her southern heritage. I asked her if she would keep a Nazi flag if she were German, and then she stopped talking to me.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

berzerker posted:

They're certainly well known for maintaining the status quo. Harping on about flags is a lot less disruptive to the status quo than in-depth analyses of modern institutionalized racism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This was our best opportunity to discuss how hateful rhetoric and speech lead to violent outcomes and instead of tackling issues of racism we are all arguing about a loving flag.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

zoux posted:

Then what the gently caress are we arguing about? Do people disagree that while the Confederate flag being removed from public grounds and retailers is good, if that were the only tangible result of expending whatever limited wherewithal to discuss controversial subjects and enact positive change that we gain after such tragedies, then that would be bad?

Most of the groups involved with the taking down of the flag were also spearheading other movements( black lives matter etc),not surprisingly they've been trying to get the flag removed for decades and they can you know multi task on this issue because of that.

McDowell posted:

Yup - identity politics is all about mirroring. It's the same logic as conservative positions that only exist to 'make liberals mad'. You need a wider ideological objective when attacking symbols - otherwise you are just one part of the mob being turned against the other.

What are TTIP and TISA?

They weren't talking about that poo poo before this and don't even pretend like they were going to talk about it unless absolutely forced to.

Taerkar posted:

Trade deals don't get ratings.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 24, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

errad posted:

I could use help with this question too. An otherwise compassionate, dear friend of mine, is proud to own a confederate flag, because of her southern heritage. I asked her if she would keep a Nazi flag if she were German, and then she stopped talking to me.

Let her read a copy of the Confederate constitution, specifically this tidbit:

"Racist White Men" posted:

No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_csa.asp

Otherwise it looks like some room on your speed dial opened up.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

McDowell posted:

What are TTIP and TISA?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

berzerker posted:

As opposed to what? The guy shoots people in a church so we overthrow the fetters of capitalism and rework society overnight into a glorious new era?

I dunno, a more meaningful push for actual, real gun control would matter a whole lot more than lowering a piece of cloth from a flagpole, even if what that piece of cloth stands for is completely reprehensible.

Removing the flag is certainly a good thing, but I can't shake this feeling that it's a waste of valuable political clout that could have been better spent on making another big push for tougher gun laws.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Taerkar posted:

Is that why Episode I sucked?

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

Drone posted:

I dunno, a more meaningful push for actual, real gun control would matter a whole lot more than lowering a piece of cloth from a flagpole, even if what that piece of cloth stands for is completely reprehensible.

Removing the flag is certainly a good thing, but I can't shake this feeling that it's a waste of valuable political clout that could have been better spent on making another big push for tougher gun laws.

So another push for something that will never happen instead of something that will.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

berzerker posted:

So another push for something that will never happen instead of something that will.

Not with an attitude like that it won't :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

berzerker posted:

My contention is that removing the Confederate battle flag isn't actually "something".

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

errad posted:

As it turns out, the only people who don't mind being compared to the Nazis are actual Nazis.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Otherwise it looks like some room on your speed dial opened up.

Not very constructive. Social ostracization doesn't work as well in the internet era; if your friends start to cut you out of their lives because of your opinions, well, you can just go online and find plenty of people who do agree with you. The lack of opposing voices in the echo chamber just further entrenches the beliefs that led to the original isolation.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Full Communism sprang forth from the forehead of Karl Marx fully formed.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Grundulum posted:

Not very constructive. Social ostracization doesn't work as well in the internet era; if your friends start to cut you out of their lives because of your opinions, well, you can just go online and find plenty of people who do agree with you. The lack of opposing voices in the echo chamber just further entrenches the beliefs that led to the original isolation.

Guess it depends on your tolerance threshold I guess. I'm from SC and always considered the thing an embarrassment.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

My contention is that removing the Confederate battle flag isn't actually "something".

But it is something.

Have you spent much time in SC? Here in Austin or Texas in general every once in a while you see someone with that flag on their car but in South Carolina the drat thing is EVERYWHERE. It isn't quite to the point of how Texans put the Lone Star on everything but it is really, really close in some areas. In SC you get desensitized to it. Driving to high school I'd see it dozens of times, and on my way to college or back there were no less than four houses that had it on a flagpole out front. You start to think "Can it really be that bad if it is on the Statehouse grounds, on various storefronts, flying in people's front yards, for sale in every gas station, and there is an entire display of merch with it last time I went into Walmart?"

I think making it much more taboo to flaunt the thing is a huge step in the right direction. I expect it will have the effect of making racism stand out more and run the risk of social disdain while before people would just write it off as background noise. I think it will be a step enabling future discussion of the subject because racists won't be able to hide as easily behind "oh it is heritage!" like they do now and they lose a very prominent symbol which they think means people agree with them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think that anyone who is flying the Confederate flag in their yard is going to stop. I think a lot of people who didn't fly the flag in their yard are going to start as a gently caress you to "liberals".

My point is that this is a highly symbolic and comparatively simple issue. I think we all recognize that there is a will to do change in the wake of these shootings and that will is limited and depletable, and it feels like we are spending a lot of it on an issue that isn't going to result in any tangible positive outcome for black people in SC and more broadly in the South.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

So the Citadel is removing the Confederate navy jack from their chapel, and the governor of Alabama just ordered the battle flag removed from their statehouse grounds. I'm honestly shocked that this is happening so fast and in so many venues.

Which begs the question, are they taking the flag down because they are genuinely ashamed of what it represents, or because it's now associated with a mop-topped mass murderer and taking it down is the easy and politically expedient thing to do?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Drone posted:

I hate guns and would ban them if I could, but gun control legislation in the US hasn't done poo poo to control guns and it would basically be poking the beast directly in both eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

So the Citadel is removing the Confederate navy jack from their chapel, and the governor of Alabama just ordered the battle flag removed from their statehouse grounds. I'm honestly shocked that this is happening so fast and in so many venues.

Which begs the question, are they taking the flag down because they are genuinely ashamed of what it represents, or because it's now associated with a mop-topped mass murderer and taking it down is the easy and politically expedient thing to do?

Well, the latter obviously.

• Locked thread