Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

I dunno, doesn't seem crazy to me to want to see yourself represented in an area you usually aren't. Especially when it was something previous iterations of the games made easy.

I don't know, besides being male Geralt is about as far from me in terms of a person I can imagine and I still found it fun to play as him and make choices as him. All depends on the world I'm put in I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Are the bobbleheads going to be balanced this time around? There is a plugin for TTW that make s the bobbleheads give different bonuses(i.e the Strength one let's you carry 25 more pounds) instead of SPECIAL points, and that was a pretty good idea. I just hope the game fores you to specialize instead of of having 10 points in all attributes and 100 in all skills as in Fallout.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bedshaped posted:

It's the same with Fallout 1 and 2. Walk around starving and dehydrating peasants wearing hulking 8 feet tall metal power armor and they're all like "Hey what up, fellow starving and dehydrated peasant."

That's not entirely true, the prostitutes in New Reno give you funny comments if you proposition them in power armor.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yeah, but there is no reason to make them so rapey other then to emphasize how evil they are. I mean, you could say "Well, realistically..." but realistically so would the NCR's hordes of boozed-up, poorly-supervised GIs. Caesar would be much more interesting if his education with the Followers had led him to see how objectively dumb the misogyny of Old Rome was, or at least to realize that integrating your army effectively doubles the number of troops at your disposal.

Other then that, the main problem with the Legion is there isn't much actual reason for the player to root for them and want them to succeed (much like the Powder Gangers, not coincidentally the other overtly evil faction), ironically unlike the Enclave in Fallout 3, where some players might want a Final Solution to the Super Mutant Question after having to clear hundreds of the fuckers out of D. C., only for them to all respawn like a week later.

Don't get me wrong, I loving love New Vegas, it might be my favorite game ever, but the Legion is not one of it's strong points.

I liked the Legion. Mostly I enjoyed killing them.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Was there ever an RPG where the random populous initially look down on you early on and then treat you like the freakish muscular meat pile you are late game?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

evilmiera posted:

I don't know, besides being male Geralt is about as far from me in terms of a person I can imagine and I still found it fun to play as him and make choices as him. All depends on the world I'm put in I suppose.

I think it's just some people aren't at all represented by media and having even less opportunities can be a bummer. That stuff doesn't bother me personally because I think the games have bigger fundamental problems in how they tell stories, but like it makes sense why it would bother people.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Theta Zero posted:

Was there ever an RPG where the random populous initially look down on you early on and then treat you like the freakish muscular meat pile you are late game?

Infamious I think? Does them having lines about unlocking certain achievements count?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

I liked the Legion. Mostly I enjoyed killing them.

The Legion...*pauses, leans forward* is actually really good.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Theta Zero posted:

Skyrim mixes things up by having everyone treat you like poo poo even after you become the head of every major organisation that exists.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Relax, goons- as soon as the Nexus gets its hands on the game, you'll be able to roam the wastes as a pansexual scantily clad giant breasted My Little Pony anime character in no time.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ToxicAcne posted:

Are the bobbleheads going to be balanced this time around? There is a plugin for TTW that make s the bobbleheads give different bonuses(i.e the Strength one let's you carry 25 more pounds) instead of SPECIAL points, and that was a pretty good idea. I just hope the game fores you to specialize instead of of having 10 points in all attributes and 100 in all skills as in Fallout.

It looks like you've got less SPECIAL points to allocate at character creation and perks seem to have replaced skills so... I guess so? Assuming bobbleheads still only give +1 to a stat but because you start with less points to begin with it's balanced that way.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Theta Zero posted:

Fallout 1, the vault rightfully wants nothing to do with you once you have murdered your way across the wastelands.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

New Leaf posted:

Relax, goons- as soon as the Nexus gets its hands on the game, you'll be able to roam the wastes as a pansexual scantily clad giant breasted My Little Pony anime character in no time.

But will they mod in a sexual reassignment clinic :ohdear:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

New Leaf posted:

Nobody said they wanted that, or even alluded to something similar

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rutibex posted:

Fallout 1, the vault rightfully wants nothing to do with you once you have murdered your way across the wastelands.

Is there a way for them to not hate you at the end (or more specifically you not hate them)? I always end up with like max karma and still execute the overseer outside the vault at the end. I've never quite figured out what triggers that

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Azhais posted:

Is there a way for them to not hate you at the end (or more specifically you not hate them)? I always end up with like max karma and still execute the overseer outside the vault at the end. I've never quite figured out what triggers that

Bloody Mess also makes you kill him.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Goons complaining or being skeptical about this game just solidifies that it's gonna be GOTY material and universally acclaimed

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cameron posted:

Goons complaining or being skeptical about this game just solidifies that it's gonna be GOTY material and universally acclaimed

It's true that goons hate successful games. On the other hand, they also hate unsuccessful games. So I don't know about this.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Bisexual people exist.

I know, I am one, and I take it all back if my spouse can be same-sex or at the very least I can pursue a same-sex relationship after confirming that yes, my wife is dead.

frajaq posted:

So many people cynic about this game

have some fanart to cheer you up! remember fallout is silly and fun!

This is good.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Cameron posted:

I dunno, the complaining and skepticism still have a long way to go before they measure up to the Dragon Age 2 thread, which as we all know is the RPG of the decade.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cameron posted:

It seems like every AAA game gets universal acclaim these days, unless you ship fundamentally broken games like Unity.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

It seems like every AAA game gets universal acclaim these days, unless you ship fundamentally broken games like Unity.

Games are actually really pretty good nowadays.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't think I've seen such a turnaround from major hype to 100% confidence that a game will turn out to be poo poo. I know past evidence does not prove future instances, but seeing how well Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim turned out it just seems like there should be a bit more confidence.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Azhais posted:

It's not that the people of Vault 13 hate you, it's that the Overseer deems you a threat to the vault experiment and exiles you at the end so the other vault dwellers don't get the idea to go out on their own. The reason it's so hosed up is that it was his idea to send you out to get the chip, and then his idea, again, to send you back out to kill the master/deal with the super mutant menace.

If you have low karma, or the berserker/child killer titles, or bloody mess -- you'll kill the overseer at the end of the conversation in one of the most gory and amazing kill animations in the game. Otherwise you'll just walk away.

The only way to stay in the vault is to refuse to find a new water chip, in which case you go back in the vault, and you all die a month later.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Hat Thoughts posted:

Nobody said they wanted that, or even alluded to something similar

Everyone was thinking it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Spikeguy posted:

I don't think I've seen such a turnaround from major hype to 100% confidence that a game will turn out to be poo poo. I know past evidence does not prove future instances, but seeing how well Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim turned out it just seems like there should be a bit more confidence.

Yeah I dunno either, people are avert to change or still didn't get over that Bethesda has the IP yet

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

I think it's just some people aren't at all represented by media and having even less opportunities can be a bummer. That stuff doesn't bother me personally because I think the games have bigger fundamental problems in how they tell stories, but like it makes sense why it would bother people.

This is a legitimate complaint ,but that you acknowledge it gels very oddly with your other comments because it is, in fact, a discussion regarding story and narrative, and your thoughts seem to be that the affected populations should stop complaining and read a book about LGBTA issues instead.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Everyone was thinking it.

I'm surprised how intimidated you are by the idea that some people want more representation in games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

This is a legitimate complaint ,but that you acknowledge it gels very oddly with your other comments because it is, in fact, a discussion regarding story and narrative, and your thoughts seem to be that the affected populations should stop complaining and read a book about LGBTA issues instead.

He said nothing even remotely like that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Andrast posted:

He said nothing even remotely like that.

It is implied in the idea that anyone with issues related to narrative and story would be better off reading a book.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

What the!! Nah, I think if a game isn't capable of integrating story into gameplay in a meaningful way then you'd be better off reading a book!! Not that games shouldn't have a narrative!

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Mr Tastee posted:

I know, I am one, and I take it all back if my spouse can be same-sex or at the very least I can pursue a same-sex relationship after confirming that yes, my wife is dead.

I get the feeling that the latter is going to be how it works out.

That or this is all going to be a moot point when you turn out to be a mandroid with implanted memories and get to find the dude of your dreams later in a post-apoc version of Hearthstone. :roboluv:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Circutron posted:

I get the feeling that the latter is going to be how it works out.

That or this is all going to be a moot point when you turn out to be a mandroid with implanted memories and get to find the dude of your dreams later in a post-apoc version of Hearthstone. :roboluv:

I hope that's the case, and Bethesda did pretty well with that in Skyrim, but it doesn't look promising that the perk for same-sex couples is there, while the other one is not.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Mr Tastee posted:

I'm surprised how intimidated you are by the idea that some people want more representation in games.

I said nothing of the sort, and my attempt humorous comment should not be intended as such.

The point that I was trying to make is this: Everyone wants the protagonist of the game to be someone other than who they are. Bethesda made a time-conscious and financial choice to put in one intro to set the stage for the rest of their game that nobody in this thread has even played. The gaming community is predominately straight male, so when that's what the game was built around. It's absurd to think that they'd do it any other way. Yes, options would be nice. But that's more lines of dialogue, an entirely new character model for the spouse, etc. If you want something different than what they've presented, wait for a mod.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

steinrokkan posted:

Run, Lola, Run did reactive storytelling better than any game, and that's just the first example that came to my mind.

Run, Lola, Run is a pretty good movie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

New Leaf posted:

The gaming community is predominately straight male, so when that's what the game was built around. It's absurd to think that they'd do it any other way.

People were interpreting your statement exactly the right way, it seem pretty clear.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

BurnBlackJay posted:

Problematically triggered because straight cis white male

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

New Leaf posted:

I said nothing of the sort, and my attempt humorous comment should not be intended as such.

The point that I was trying to make is this: Everyone wants the protagonist of the game to be someone other than who they are. Bethesda made a time-conscious and financial choice to put in one intro to set the stage for the rest of their game that nobody in this thread has even played. The gaming community is predominately straight male, so when that's what the game was built around. It's absurd to think that they'd do it any other way. Yes, options would be nice. But that's more lines of dialogue, an entirely new character model for the spouse, etc. If you want something different than what they've presented, wait for a mod.

Hmm, a more action oriented, less RPGish Fallout game with pre-generated characters to facilitate a richer storytelling experience. I can't see why anyone would be apprehensive about that. I can't help but feel this was attempted before, how did that turn out....

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This was a bad post the first time that you made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

New Leaf posted:

The gaming community is predominately straight male

As of last year, the gaming community is at least 50% women.

Edit: Slightly misleading article title but here http://www.pcgamer.com/researchers-find-that-female-pc-gamers-outnumber-males/

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 24, 2015

• Locked thread