Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Norm is a funny guy who knows a lot of funny people but everything he does outside of the podcast is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Saw Norm over the weekend outside of Seattle. He was pretty great, with most of his material focusing on aging and death, which seem to be two his big preoccupations as of late. Toward the end of his set, he said he went over twenty minutes and was getting glares from the sound guy, who did seem pretty upset. He ended by saying something like "The past is behind us, just faulty memory. The future doesn't even exist, is just hope, and I've learned hope never works out so well. But right now, up here, well, I love you all. And I'll get off the stage and it'll go away and I'll get yelled at, but right now I love you all." And then he ended by telling his dad's favorite joke and his son's favorite joke.

I love me some Norm—I wish he would start up the podcast again or finish that autobiography.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What were the two jokes and where specifically did you see him

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Norm is a funny guy who knows a lot of funny people but everything he does outside of the podcast is terrible.

Actually, I thought the little bits he brought to Emoji Academy were pretty great. Obviously I don't know if he actually wrote anything or had any say in those bits, but it was funny enough. Him dressed like a little kid going out for his first day at school, complete with "Norm" written on his lunch bag, and his quips were still razor-sharp. I doubt anybody else could have contributed anything more to the bare-bones script. You'll notice as well, his character is the only one to have what I would call "acting" at all in the drat thing. These starlets (none of whom I could tell from anybody else, despite the comments section echoing its apparent love for them; really, you're going to post that she "killed it" or the other one is "slaying"? Nobody had any goddamn lines! The girls all had cookie-cutter training montage lines like "I think you've got it" and "How about this one?". They didn't goddamn do anything but spend four hours in makeup and say three words!) gave him nothing at all to play off of, though that may be the fault of the director as well. It is, of course, a loving Chevrolet commercial six months late on the WACKY EMOJI MEME so who cares, I guess. Good to see our boy getting a paycheck.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
No wonder he's been off the radar, chevrolet locked him in their celebrity weight-loss bunker for six months before the shoot. lookin good

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Riptor posted:

really? Interesting. Can you elaborate on this

Uhh it's hard to describe. In my experience (I grew up in french canadia) my friends moms who were french were more blunt and matter of fact about how they dealt with children, and his delivery style reminds me of them very much.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Gah, screw you guys. I thought all these replies meant the show was back.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Kull the Conqueror posted:

yeah i'm in the same boat, though it was good to see norm looking less bloated.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Seeing Norm shill emojis for a car company trying to look hip by hiring the most unhip man on the planet is some transcendent poo poo right there. Norm owns.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Advice posted:

Actually, I thought the little bits he brought to Emoji Academy were pretty great. Obviously I don't know if he actually wrote anything or had any say in those bits, but it was funny enough. Him dressed like a little kid going out for his first day at school, complete with "Norm" written on his lunch bag, and his quips were still razor-sharp. I doubt anybody else could have contributed anything more to the bare-bones script. You'll notice as well, his character is the only one to have what I would call "acting" at all in the drat thing. These starlets (none of whom I could tell from anybody else, despite the comments section echoing its apparent love for them; really, you're going to post that she "killed it" or the other one is "slaying"? Nobody had any goddamn lines! The girls all had cookie-cutter training montage lines like "I think you've got it" and "How about this one?". They didn't goddamn do anything but spend four hours in makeup and say three words!) gave him nothing at all to play off of, though that may be the fault of the director as well. It is, of course, a loving Chevrolet commercial six months late on the WACKY EMOJI MEME so who cares, I guess. Good to see our boy getting a paycheck.

Just because you're a model doesn't mean you've had any acting training, both take different skills. Giving them more lines would just make them look that much worse when it comes to their untrained acting skills.

I have no idea who any of those girls were.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And I bet nobody in the target audience knows who Norm is.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

steinrokkan posted:

And I bet nobody in the target audience knows who Norm is.

It's confusing and awkward for everyone! Don Draper would be spinning in his grave.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The emoji saga is concluded, and I must say Norm brings his top Dollar Shave Club game into the play. Wish he would have gone for a Mangrate spin instead, but oh well.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

No more DRY MEAT

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

"100% cast eye-rin."

Didn't Larry King scold him on that pronunciation?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

rear end Catchcum posted:

What were the two jokes and where specifically did you see him

Bellevue, WA

Which after looking at his Twitter over the weekend I realized is probably because he wanted to see the US Open a stone's throw away

His dad's favorite joke was an alzheimer's one that I can't really remember. His son's favorite was something like "Roses are grey, violets are grey, the sky is grey; because I'm a dog"

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

His dad's favorite joke was an alzheimer's one that I can't really remember.

:ironicat:

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah. Norm's stand up is terrible. Wtf is wrong with you dude?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yup, here is Norm MacDonald telling a joke. Note how NOT FUNNY he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE6QzDrT_x8

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

VPN says it's back July 1st? http://videopodcastnetwork.com/channels/norm-macdonald/

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

That's the schedule from 2014.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Skip My Posts posted:

Yeah. Norm's stand up is terrible. Wtf is wrong with you dude?

I meant all the extracurricular poo poo he does, obviously - his commercials, his sitcoms, all the VA work, etc.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Oh, yeah, you mean the poo poo he does for a paycheck that he obviously doesn't care about or put any real effort into. Yeah that stuff sucks. It's not like his appearance in Grown Ups was meant to nab that Oscar nod, though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
He doesn't care about or put effort into anything, and that's kinda my point - the podcast is perfectly suited to his temperament and work ethic and it gives him an environment where he can be genuinely funny and not oh-god-Norm's-pretending-to-act-again funny but he still managed to find a way to kill it off.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Norm's movie is good tho

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Hat Thoughts posted:

Norm's movie is good tho

Dirty Work is the Citizen Kane of my generation and I will physically fight anyone who implies otherwise.

He doesn't care about or put effort into anything, and that's kinda my point - the podcast is perfectly suited to his temperament and work ethic and it gives him an environment where he can be genuinely funny and not oh-god-Norm's-pretending-to-act-again funny but he still managed to find a way to kill it off.

Or it WAS, before they started making him take the ads seriously and pull his leash a little. It's difficult to tell because the second half-block of the podcast episodes he started having on a lot more older comedians that he really respected and couldn't just goof on like he could Fred Stoller or That Guy From The Big Bang Theory, but he really toned it down in the last half, right around the time his advertisements starting being vanilla boring readthroughs. There's no way he was having fun on the podcast anymore and obviously he dropped it.

STOP LEASHING THE MAN JUST LET HIM MAKE FUN OF THE MANGRATE IN PEACE THIS IS WHY WE DON'T HAVE ART ANYMORE

Advice fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 25, 2015

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah it wasn't funny when norm did that YouTube comedy festival poo poo in his sweatpants and poo poo all over its existence. Not funny.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Skip My Posts posted:

Yeah it wasn't funny when norm did that YouTube comedy festival poo poo in his sweatpants and poo poo all over its existence. Not funny.

I watch Norm’s stand up for the articles.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

:siren: one month till Norm :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGWTTSgWqcc

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Wow most of those jokes were absolute garbage, Norm might be able to redeem the show though.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Having never seen an episode of it, Last Comic Standing has to be one of the weirdest reality shows.

7 different hosts in 8 seasons, they skipped the years 2010-2014. It's given way to such comedy moguls as Dat Phan and Ralphie May, along with someone called 'Rod Man'. This last season appears to have been recorded all ahead of time and airing months after filming. Wanda Sykes is still around and producing this thing apparently. And for some reason the Canadian comedian Gerry Dee was in one season, that's the one I find weirdest.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

piratepilates posted:

Having never seen an episode of it, Last Comic Standing has to be one of the weirdest reality shows.

7 different hosts in 8 seasons, they skipped the years 2010-2014. It's given way to such comedy moguls as Dat Phan and Ralphie May, along with someone called 'Rod Man'. This last season appears to have been recorded all ahead of time and airing months after filming. Wanda Sykes is still around and producing this thing apparently. And for some reason the Canadian comedian Gerry Dee was in one season, that's the one I find weirdest.

I hate dirt cheat trash programming like this. I watched AGT for Howard, and I'll check this out for Norm, but man, those shows are buzzfeed on TV.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Check out the people who didn't win on that show if you want to be full of rage.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Apoplexy posted:

Check out the people who didn't win on that show if you want to be full of rage.

Podcasts are the medium I consume the most so it really confused me to see Todd Glass and Doug Benson both on the show and not having won the show. Just a moment of oh right I guess they're not big at all outside of certain comedy and podcast circles to not show up on a reality show that could give them press and money.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It was before they were relevant through those avenues

AxeManiac posted:

Those shows are buzzfeed on TV.

The show does not look funny but this makes noooo sense

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Last comic standing is decent to watch the when the judges are good.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I'm just imagining a goon watching Last Comic Standing specifically for Norm, the whole time crossing his arms with a look of smug indifference and pontificating the completely uninteresting post he will later make about how it isn't funny.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sintax posted:

I'm just imagining a goon watching Last Comic Standing specifically for Norm, the whole time crossing his arms with a look of smug indifference and pontificating the completely uninteresting post he will later make about how it isn't funny.

I don't have to imagine. :smug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sintax posted:

Yeah, my experience will be pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Sintax posted:

I'm imagining a really big dog

• Locked thread