Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Grinning Goblin posted:

It is kind of like when I post a dumb opinion on something, most people will ignore it or call me dumb and then ignore it.

If Anita Sarkeesian does something dumb, you have a giant wall of MRAs making videos "calling her out" or literal death threats.

Good thing I have a white penis.

I don't know you better have some swatches ready just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grinning Goblin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVJpe1qbfb0

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Yikes, that is bad. Though, for some reason I imagine most MRA folks probably aren't glomming onto this as much as her video game critiques.

quote:

I have no familiarity with the Fallout crafting system off the top of my head despite playing 3 (which probably speaks to how 'good' It was) but I actually agree with this point. Games, especially AAA ones could stand to be less about killing. It's almost like big budget games that tend to be over the top male-power fantasy kill-a-thons tend to attract the sort of folks that react like this to basic critique.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Veskit posted:

The best analogy I can give is how the Reverand Al Sharpton is a loving a moron but he's on the right side of human rights. His message is good but god drat the guy is a loving idiot. I kind of look at anita like that. Sure she's fighting the good fight for women but sometimes she says things that are so inexplicably dumb I can't help but dislike her. She's pretty insufferable as a person so the loving stupid MRA guys have tons of ammo to dislike her for both nefarious and legitimate reasons. I mean this happened which I'll laugh until the day I die how loving dumb this is

And if you like video games and fallout in particular you realize that she's kinda just.. dumb

Like whatever go do your feminist thing just like Sharpton does his thing but holy balls I wish they'd both shut up.

Anita does not run the FemFreq twitter account, or write the videos. These are all written by a man named Jonathan McIntosh, who is a big dumb idiot baby as I have previously posted.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Nanomashoes posted:

Anita does not run the FemFreq twitter account, or write the videos. These are all written by a man named Jonathan McIntosh, who is a big dumb idiot baby as I have previously posted.

Wait, a guy is having a woman speak on his behalf to talk about feminism? the gently caress?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Grinning Goblin posted:

It is kind of like when I post a dumb opinion on something, most people will ignore it or call me dumb and then ignore it.

If Anita Sarkeesian does something dumb, you have a giant wall of MRAs making videos "calling her out" or literal death threats.

Congratulations!

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

axelsoar posted:

Wait, a guy is having a woman speak on his behalf to talk about feminism? the gently caress?

As I understand it, the two of them work together on the videos. And I'm pretty sure Anita'd take the blame for anything that gets said regardless even if all she did was make sure the camera didn't spontaneously explode.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

I'm pretty sure the twitter account is run by both of them, since many of the recent tweets are photos she took at E3.

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/611229178596233218?s=09

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Nanomashoes posted:

lol and?

Motto posted:

I'm pretty sure the twitter account is run by both of them, since many of the recent tweets are photos she took at E3.

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/611229178596233218?s=09

so?

axelsoar posted:

I mean, RIGHT?!?1

Either way I'm just saying some people are actually mad over these two women for being lovely people. It fuels the hate flames way hotter when they're not good people.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Veskit posted:

Either way I'm just saying some people are actually mad over these two women for being lovely people. It fuels the hate flames way hotter when they're not good people.

It's literally totally irrelevant. You don't threaten to kill people.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

axelsoar posted:

Yikes, that is bad. Though, for some reason I imagine most MRA folks probably aren't glomming onto this as much as her video game critiques.

I have no familiarity with the Fallout crafting system off the top of my head despite playing 3 (which probably speaks to how 'good' It was) but I actually agree with this point. Games, especially AAA ones could stand to be less about killing. It's almost like big budget games that tend to be over the top male-power fantasy kill-a-thons tend to attract the sort of folks that react like this to basic critique.

Everything you could build in three was about killing stuff. :shrug:

New Vegas made it slightly less killy in that you could craft various consumables and poo poo.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

axelsoar posted:

Seeing as that was posted 6/15, the day after Bethsoft announced Fallout 4 and showed the crafting system doing... exactly what she said she wishes it was (you get to build a town basically), saying that it's just to kill things is preeeeeetty silly.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Pick posted:

It's literally totally irrelevant. You don't threaten to kill people.

It's irrelevant to why people dislike her? Should we just fit the discussion to the box of you don't threaten to kill people because I mean I think we all agree on that one :jerkbag:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

axelsoar posted:

There is literally no real crafting system in most previous fallout games (or at least nothing compared to what they want to add in Fallout 4), just some weapons mod systems and minor player made mods. And Fallout 3 is arguably the less well written of all the Fallout game compared to 1&2 and New Vegas.

And about non-conventional games, the industry used to have a relatively large number of great middleware companies who provided that kind of "not entirely centered on murdering people" niche games from time to time but most of them either went under during the last decade or were forced into the quite Hollywoodian "TRIPLE AAA or BUST" philosophy, in order not to be brought and destroyed by the bigger publishers.

"Make a less violent game instead of the last sequel of AAA game" in the current economy would be similar to saying "Hey game studio who may or may not be either all about profit or risking your survival on your next few projects, could you make a less violent game? You know instead of a male fantasy that's guaranteed to sell?" And it's even more funny when you see what happened to Sunset, which was litteraly made to be that kind of anti-violent progressive feminist game*. Also you can play a pacifist whatever skin color whatever sexual orientation female character in most of the Fallout games, so it minds blowing ignorant to make that kind of remark with that particular game.

*You play a black women in a South American country in the 70s. So of course the game-play involves cleaning a house for an always absent male too busy freeing his country from a right wing dictatorship. 4 000 games sold, bankrupt inde studio.

vvv No, it only had tunnel snakes. AND TUNNEL SNAKES RULE! :suicide:

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 24, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wait, Fallout 3 had writing?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
People are passively aggressively playing the "Anita is no saint" card.

We get it. You're so nuanced. Go pat yourself on the back.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Veskit posted:

It's irrelevant to why people dislike her? Should we just fit the discussion to the box of you don't threaten to kill people because I mean I think we all agree on that one :jerkbag:

Yes that's the whole point.

Women on the internet get a disproportionate amount of harassment and threats, irrelevant to what they're actually saying. When nerds start going "actually she's dumb and stupid" or whatever, it's implied, intentionally or not, that she somehow deserves it.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Krowley posted:

Women on the internet get a disproportionate amount of harassment and threats, irrelevant to what they're actually saying. When nerds start going "actually she's dumb and stupid" or whatever, it's implied, intentionally or not, that she somehow deserves it.
Irish Joe isn't posting here anymore, can we please not turn this TV IV thread into another Charlie Hebdo thread? :smith:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Krowley posted:

Yes that's the whole point.

You're saying I'm implicating that she deserves death threats because I think she's a very dumb person.....???

Echo Chamber posted:

People are passively aggressively playing the "Anita is no saint" card.

We get it. You're so nuanced. Go pat yourself on the back.

Someone was confused why people hated her so much which is a combination of A) her being a woman on the internet and daring to use words and B) Her being a bad dumb person. There are legitimate reasons to dislike her.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The fact that Sarkeesian does really basic, surface-deep feminist criticism of games and gets a shitload of hate for that says a lot about the mindstate of the community. There's much better commentators in games journalism, and any time they mention race or gender they get accused of making controversy where there is none in order to create views. It's fuckin' dumb.

Feminist Frequency lacks a lot of nuance but apparently that's where the community needs to start if you want more diversity in games.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Toplowtech posted:

There is literally no real crafting system in most previous fallout games (or at least nothing compared to what they want to add in Fallout 4), just some weapons mod systems and minor player made mods. And Fallout 3 is arguably the less well written of all the Fallout game compared to 1&2 and New Vegas.

And about non-conventional games, the industry used to have a relatively large number of great middleware companies who provided that kind of "not entirely centered on murdering people" niche games from time to time but most of them either went under during the last decade or were forced into the quite Hollywoodian "TRIPLE AAA or BUST" philosophy, in order not to be brought and destroyed by the bigger publishers.

"Make a less violent game instead of the last sequel of AAA game" in the current economy would be similar to saying "Hey game studio who may or may not be either all about profit or risking your survival on your next few projects, could you make a less violent game? You know instead of a male fantasy that's guaranteed to sell?" And it's even more funny when you see what happened to Sunset, which was litteraly made to be that kind of anti-violent progressive feminist game*. Also you can play a pacifist whatever skin color whatever sexual orientation female character in most of the Fallout games, so it minds blowing ignorant to make that kind of remark with that particular game.

*You play a black women in a South American country in the 70s. So of course the game-play involves cleaning a house for an always absent male too busy freeing his country from a right wing dictatorship. 4 000 games sold, bankrupt inde studio.

vvv No, it only had tunnel snakes. AND TUNNEL SNAKES RULE! :suicide:

You know independent gaming is at an all time high right? There is tons of experimental poo poo going on right now even point and click and choose your adventure games are getting to be big sellers for larger companies. Farm Sim and Truck Sims also sell like crazy. Hell there is a Train game on Steam that makes tons of money selling digital model trains.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Veskit posted:

You're saying I'm implicating that she deserves death threats because I think she's a very dumb person.....???

Someone was confused why people hated her so much which is a combination of A) her being a woman on the internet and daring to use words and B) Her being a bad dumb person. There are legitimate reasons to dislike her.

Yeah and its so simple to ignore, she's only famous because children and man children lost their minds at the very idea criticism by a women. Oh and how dare somebody make a game like Gone Home or whatever.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
The best thing for me, about the whole affair is that her twitter account is @femfreq it's too close to femfresh for me not to laugh

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

You know independent gaming is at an all time high right? There is tons of experimental poo poo going on right now even point and click and choose your adventure games are getting to be big sellers for larger companies. Farm Sim and Truck Sims also sell like crazy. Hell there is a Train game on Steam that makes tons of money selling digital model trains.
And it as more to do with some new way to finance your development cycle for smaller teams(Kickstarter and Patreon mostly) and new platforms to publish them (even if the non-curated aspect of let's say steam created a tons of shovelware and content thievery) than anything else. Streamers and Youtubers as much as they are obnoxious also played a part in some of those indie games success. If those new ways to finance and promote games weren't there the industry would look horribly grim as gently caress. Still, the industry went from small, many medium and some big companies to mostly small indies VS big publishers owned studios and there is a lot of "diversity" that went into the trash. A lot of poo poo games too but still. Lot of those new smaller indie kickstarters are also made by former members of those dead middleware companies.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 24, 2015

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

And it as more to do with some new way to finance your development cycle for smaller teams(Kickstarter and Patreon mostly) and new platforms to publish them (even if the non-curated aspect of let's say steam created a tons of shovelware and content thievery) than anything else. Streamers and Youtubers as much as they are obnoxious also played a part in some of those indies game success. If those new ways to finance and promote games weren't there the industry would look horribly grim as gently caress. Still, the industry went from small, many medium and some big companies to mostly small indies VS big publishers owned studios and there is a lot of "diversity" that went into the trash. A lot of poo poo games too but still. Lot of those new smaller indie kickstarters are also made by former members of those dead middleware companies.

You know its funny I don't think I have a game loaded right now where I can't play a female(though unloaded ones there are like Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
This entire conversation and all the 'controversies' surrounding it is making me aggressively not care about video games even more than usual.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Zythrst posted:

Yeah and its so simple to ignore, she's only famous because children and man children lost their minds at the very idea criticism by a women. Oh and how dare somebody make a game like Gone Home or whatever.

I think it's lovely the best representatives from the GG controversy are two assholes. It makes you disillusioned from the whole thing because it's hard to back a bad horse. I felt the same way when my two best black leaders were loving Hymie town Jackson and Al Sharpton and those two were loving assclowns. Yes, I can talk poo poo about Al Sharpton even though he had an assassination attempt against him.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Toplowtech posted:

Irish Joe isn't posting here anymore, can we please not turn this TV IV thread into another Charlie Hebdo thread? :smith:

You're right. It's my own fault for keeping up with a TVIV thread for longer than three days since an episode aired

Seeya all on monday!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Knorth posted:

This entire conversation and all the 'controversies' surrounding it is making me aggressively not care about video games even more than usual.
That's because it's mostly a boring flamefest between MRA and Feminists on Twitter and some gawker-like video game media about the industries and it's literally all sperging about video games. I don't think anyone sane should even care and i am doing some video game related sperging here.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You've got to admire South Carolina's sheer dedication to assholery. They knew that their flag was dumb and offensive, so they doubled down by requiring any changes to it to have two thirds of the state legislature behind it, and then affixing it to the pole so you'd need a ladder to even try doing anything to it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

You've got to admire South Carolina's sheer dedication to assholery. They knew that their flag was dumb and offensive, so they doubled down by requiring any changes to it to have two thirds of the state legislature behind it, and then affixing it to the pole so you'd need a ladder to even try doing anything to it.

In the wake of VA's governor calling for the removal of the confederate license plates, I'm waiting for my high school to change its name and mascot. its long overdue. My redneck classmates would call African American students "Canadians" as a code word.

Lee-Davis High School Confederates.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

geeves posted:

In the wake of VA's governor calling for the removal of the confederate license plates, I'm waiting for my high school to change its name and mascot. its long overdue. My redneck classmates would call African American students "Canadians" as a code word.

Lee-Davis High School Confederates.

holy poo poo

I need to see this through to the end: What's the mascot? The Lee-Davis Racist?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's a confederate mascot for a highschool team in loving Oregon. Like, what the hell?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Pick posted:

There's a confederate mascot for a highschool team in loving Oregon. Like, what the hell?

Romanticization of the Confederate South was pretty wide spread in the 20th century; that's how Gone With The Wind became such a big deal for a while.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Speaking of awful things in the south

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Veskit posted:

I mean, you know that, I know that, I would hope everyone here knows that, but like hoards of angry manchildren that can't stomach basic critique and are terrified that women are going to take away their little boys toys? not so much.

Toplowtech posted:

I think it is a weeeee bit hyperbolic to say that calling for games to focus less on killing people means I want developers to make un-fun educational games purely focused on educating people about privilege, and you should loving know better. And saying Fallout, a game where there is a perk that is focused on making bodies explode in unrealistic and ridiculous ways for no other reason than 'it looks dope when the blood and limbs fly everywhere, man', is unproblematic because there is the option to play as a pacifist is missing the point entirely. Fallout is very much about killing people, look how much effort goes into poo poo like the VATS system, the various gun skills, different gun types, ammo management, etc. it is very much a game about shooting dudes with some token 'stealth' and 'persuasion' thrown in. And I'm not taking issue with Fallout as an individual game, it is the TREND that is problematic, forest, trees, and whatnot.

edit: I mean gently caress, if there was a game that let you violently rape someone it does not stop being horrific just because you can choose not to.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 25, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yinlock posted:

holy poo poo

I need to see this through to the end: What's the mascot? The Lee-Davis Racist?

That school is in literal west bumfuck Virginia, and everyone from the school board level on down I have dealt with has been exactly who you would think would have confederate flags on their F350,000,000s.

This is my constant mental image when dealing with them:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Speaking of awful things in the south

Well, John Brown was a insane murderous terrorist who literally believed God spoke to him and ordered him to end slavery.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

pentyne posted:

Well, John Brown was a insane murderous terrorist who literally believed God spoke to him and ordered him to end slavery.

You did read the whole thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

You did read the whole thing?

No, no I did not.

My bad.

• Locked thread