Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Storm shields are a pretty effective way of loving up those dscythes. I spent a game avoiding some Thunderwolves like they were the plague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Broken Record Talk posted:

D weapons that cannot cause Instant Death.

With the changes to rad grenades is it still pretty easy to 1 shot full health Captain with a single plasma gun shot?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Lord Twisted posted:

But still do 1+d3 wounds ignoring everything but invulnerable most of the time because you know, balance.

You mean d3 wounds (2/3rds of the time), which cover saves and invuln saves can be taken against, or 0 wounds (1/3rd of the time)?

Don't get me wrong, D-Scythes are really, really strong, but that -1 on the D Table, and the Str. 4 for ID calculations, makes a BIG difference. Besides, if you're charging D-Scythe Wraithguard, you're doing it wrong!

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Broken Record Talk posted:

You mean d3 wounds (2/3rds of the time), which cover saves and invuln saves can be taken against, or 0 wounds (1/3rd of the time)?

Don't get me wrong, D-Scythes are really, really strong, but that -1 on the D Table, and the Str. 4 for ID calculations, makes a BIG difference. Besides, if you're charging D-Scythe Wraithguard, you're doing it wrong!

You're mostly right, but you don't get cover. Template weapons ignore cover.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Master Twig posted:

You're mostly right, but you don't get cover. Template weapons ignore cover.

Right, I don't know why I always forget that! Thanks.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Kilo147 posted:

I've got no use for these. Anyone want em?

Those look pretty awesome, if I were in the US I'd have them off you.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

So, I'm in the middle of converting several imperial factions into a rat army. I think maybe I'll call it Rodentus Mechanicus. Or just space skaven.

The list I've come up with is as follows.

quote:

CAD - Blood Angels

Sang Priest - Power Ax

5-man Tac squad - melta - combi-melta - drop pod

5-man Tac squad - melta - combi-melta - drop pod

5-man Tac squad - melta - combi-melta

3x Drop Pods

Storm Raven - TL Assault Cannon - TL Multi-Melta - Hurricane Bolters - 4x missiles

Skiitari Detachment

Vanguard - 3x Arc Rifles

Vanguard - 3x Arc Rifles

Formation - Elimination Maniple - Cult Mechanicus

3-man Kataphran Destroyers - 3x Heavy Grav Cannon

4-man Kataphran Destroyers - 4x Heavy Grav Cannon

Kastelan Robot Maniple - 3x robots, 2 with Heavy Phosphor and TL Heavy Phosphor, 1 with Heavy Phosphor and power fist, and Datasmith.
The vanguard and the 3-man destroyer squad will be riding in the extra drop pods. The sang priest hangs out with the 4-man kataphrans.

I've taken some old skaven sprues that I have and chopped off their heads. I am currently putting those heads onto space marine bodies to be the the blood angels. The Skiitari will be represented by Veer Myn models from mantic games. The Kataphrans will be modified skaven rat ogres. Lastly, the Kastelan robots are going to be the Skaven Stormfiends.

Here is the beginnings of this abomination.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Hand posted:

I concur. I was just pointing out that it seems that there is a strange fascination with that period of American History in the UK historical gamers scene.

Is it like the Japanese and Nazis?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Watching the colonials shoot at themselves is jolly fascinating

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

NTRabbit posted:

Watching the colonials shoot at themselves is jolly fascinating

I'd buy that for a pound!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sorry for the stupid question but I'm looking around for it, but I can't seem to find it. What kit builds the Sableclaw?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Sorry for the stupid question but I'm looking around for it, but I can't seem to find it. What kit builds the Sableclaw?

A standard Landspeeder plus the Ravenwing upgrade sprue, both of which are in the battleforce.

Edit: apparently you can buy the upgrade sprue separately too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Thanks, and man, I want a tin of those little angel dudes on the one picture of the landspeeder. Just add them to all vehicles and bikes like little hula girls.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
So these Devastator kits are ridiculously good, although there's a typo in the instructions for what arm bitz fit the Gravcannon weapons which made me waste some time. :argh: I blew my coworkers mind that they came with a literal meltababy.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

krushgroove posted:

Those look pretty awesome, if I were in the US I'd have them off you.

Pay shipping and they are yours.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Kilo147 posted:

Pay shipping and they are yours.

Sent you a PM!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Ghost Hand posted:

I concur. I was just pointing out that it seems that there is a strange fascination with that period of American History in the UK historical gamers scene.

There is a similar fascination with the Nazis.

Some people just like to play the bad guys.

It's controversial in America because it was used by the KKK in their post war campaign of terror against former slaves, and it was the symbol of the anti-civil rights movement.

The flag people are arguing about was flown to show opposition to desegregation. That strangely doesn't get mentioned a lot.

But it is similar to waving the swastika around in front of jewish people, and the people waving them often have the same intent.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
So far my favorite thing about the DA book is that if you pull one of the Dark Angel tactical objectives, you don't have to show your opponent what card you got, until you go to turn it in for points. That owns.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
The Confederate flag makes me irrationally hateful, and regularly refer General Lee and others as traitors who deserved be hanged.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Master Twig posted:

So, I'm in the middle of converting several imperial factions into a rat army. I think maybe I'll call it Rodentus Mechanicus. Or just space skaven.

The list I've come up with is as follows.

The vanguard and the 3-man destroyer squad will be riding in the extra drop pods. The sang priest hangs out with the 4-man kataphrans.

I've taken some old skaven sprues that I have and chopped off their heads. I am currently putting those heads onto space marine bodies to be the the blood angels. The Skiitari will be represented by Veer Myn models from mantic games. The Kataphrans will be modified skaven rat ogres. Lastly, the Kastelan robots are going to be the Skaven Stormfiends.

Here is the beginnings of this abomination.

Eventually have your Rat marines fall to chaos and just call them Bad Rats.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Kilo147 posted:

I've got no use for these.

I'm another continent away, otherwise I'd happily take them off your hands.

e;fb

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 25, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Pedro Kantor 185

5 Scouts: 5× sniper rifle; camo cloaks 70
5 Scouts: heavy bolter; camo cloaks 73

10 Sternguard Veterans 220
Drop Pod 35

10 Assault Marines: Veteran Sergeant (Eviscerator) 205
Stormtalon Gunship: Skyhammer missile launcher 115

Thunderfire Cannon 100
Vindicator 120
5 Devastator Marines: 4× lascannon, Armorium Cherub 155

1.498 points

Would this work for a beer and pretzels game.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DJ Dizzy posted:

Pedro Kantor 185

Drop Pod 35

Thunderfire Cannon 100
Vindicator 120

1.498 points

My only concern is how you'll get the Sternguard around. Marines on foot don't tend to live very long, even in a pretty casual environment. I always put my Sternguard and Pedro in Rhinos if I can help it. I see one drop pod, and I'd probably drop a Sternguard duder so you can put Pedro in there with them.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Pedro Kantor 185

Drop Pod 35

Thunderfire Cannon 100
Vindicator 120

1.498 points

Drop the assault Marines, max out the scout squads so you can combat squad them for 4 objective coverage.
Sternguard need rides or they're useless. Who is Kantor going with?

Good combo is 4 combi Melta in a 10 man squad in a pod. Land, combat squad, smoke a tank with one half while the other half does something else.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

:negative: But but but... new models....

I might just say gently caress it, and run a gladius strike force with min tactical squads. Because 1500 points is annoying to play at.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 25, 2015

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

DJ Dizzy posted:

:negative: But but but... new models....

I might just say gently caress it, and run a gladius strike force with min tactical squads. Because 1500 points is annoying to play at.

Tbh for beer and pretzels the list is fine. Only thing which really stood out were the lack of transport for one of the sternguard squads, and where Pedro is supposed to fit (drop a SG to 9 men and scrape another 13 pts for a rhino)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Lord Twisted posted:

Tbh for beer and pretzels the list is fine. Only thing which really stood out were the lack of transport for one of the sternguard squads, and where Pedro is supposed to fit (drop a SG to 9 men and scrape another 13 pts for a rhino)

Pedro is supposed to be with the footslogging.sternguards.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Tuxedo Jack posted:

At one point I had considered inverting the flag and dropping the stars, and just having that blue and red design over the hatch on top... But even then, in its limited ambiguous reference, I felt bad about it and couldn't bring the brush to the hatch. When I repaint it, I think I will lighten up the red and blue on the weapons, and make one of the shoulderpads half red and half blue with the white aquila on it. That diffuses the shape altogether and only keeps the colors, which I think is the only way to tastefully represent the car without referencing the battle flag.

Just a thought, but a single diagonal stripe with stars behind an aquila might pull it off. You'd get the hint of what it is supposed to be, but you won't be going full out on it.

Uroboros posted:

The Confederate flag makes me irrationally hateful, and regularly refer General Lee and others as traitors who deserved be hanged.
You are not alone. The following should be required to be quoted to any idiot trying to defend the confederate flag in a non-historical environment:

Vice President of the Confederacy Alexander Stephens 1861 Corner Stone Speech posted:

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.
Gross.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Moola please save this thread.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
The Bad Thread will look up and shout "Save us!"...

and I'll look down and whisper "I'm gay.”

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
That's because all 40k threads are bad threads. Except the unspiration thread, that's the ugly thread.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
^no that is not canon at all

Good thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694065

Bad Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636853

Ugly thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603841

cheers

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Babby's first "decurion-style" formation question:

Can you take any of the formations individually (i.e. the landspeeders one in the new DA book) without taking the whole thing? Basically some of those formations look neat but I have no desire to own tactical, assault, or devastator marines and would much rather just pretend the auxiliary formations are part of my GK main force.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Monoliths posted:

Babby's first "decurion-style" formation question:

Can you take any of the formations individually (i.e. the landspeeders one in the new DA book) without taking the whole thing? Basically some of those formations look neat but I have no desire to own tactical, assault, or devastator marines and would much rather just pretend the auxiliary formations are part of my GK main force.

Formations can be taken individually. The Lion's Blade (and other decurion-style formations) just lets you combine formations as all part of a single detachment.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Wonderful! I really just want to see GK lookin dudes riding flying cars. Regular tactical marines are such a bummer when your other main troops have force weapons and wizardry.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Monoliths posted:

Wonderful! I really just want to see GK lookin dudes riding flying cars. Regular tactical marines are such a bummer when your other main troops have force weapons and wizardry.

The only real problem I see in your case, is that the Ravenshield special rule with the RSS formation won't come into play; only models with the Ravenwing special rule will benefit from the speeders tossing out extra shots for overwatch. The Dark Shroud also won't work on anything other than its own unit. Still, even then, it's a pretty powerful formation that can toss out a hideous amount of heavy bolter shots--21 HB shots if you double up on the land speeders, all of which will be at BS5 against non-skimmer non-flyers, AND have Interceptor. If you go nuts and have 5 land speeders, that's 33 HB shots, which is nothing to laugh at.

Speaking of this formation, here's a general rules question: the Darkshroud gives Stealth to nearby friendly DA models, but doesn't benefit from those effects. This is normally not an issue since it's usually on its own; however, with the Ravenwing Support Squadron, it's now part of a vehicle squadron, which for all intents and purposes is now a unit. The BRB says that if at least one model has the Stealth USR, the entire unit benefits from it; the Darkshroud also has Shrouded, and the BRB contains the same wording as Stealth.

Since the Darkshroud is now part of a unit in the RSS, would that mean that the entire formation has Stealth and Shrouded? By RAW it seems to be the case.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

Speaking of this formation, here's a general rules question: the Darkshroud gives Stealth to nearby friendly DA models, but doesn't benefit from those effects. This is normally not an issue since it's usually on its own; however, with the Ravenwing Support Squadron, it's now part of a vehicle squadron, which for all intents and purposes is now a unit. The BRB says that if at least one model has the Stealth USR, the entire unit benefits from it; the Darkshroud also has Shrouded, and the BRB contains the same wording as Stealth.

Since the Darkshroud is now part of a unit in the RSS, would that mean that the entire formation has Stealth and Shrouded? By RAW it seems to be the case.

poo poo, I think you're right. I didn't see the point in taking a Darkshroud in that formation since I thought everything would have to jink to get decent cover saves. This way you'll get a 4+ out in the open and can easily drive into some cover for a 2+. It won't be re-rollable unless you decide to jink for some reason, but still. I had been thinking of picking up a Vengeance for this formation since it'd get interceptor, but now I think I'm going to run a hilariously unkillable swarm of speeders.

5 typhoons and a darkshroud is only 455 points :shepface:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, the whole thing has Stealth + Shrouded until the Darkshroud is by itself.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

So, I asked a buddy what color I should paint the armor on my Rat army. He suggested warpstone green. Makes sense, skaven love warpstone. So I did up a model in warpstone green. I decided to go with yellow as the highlights, as it seemed like it would make for a good aesthetic.

Halfway through doing the trim I made a realization. My rats were Green Bay Packers colors (I'm from Minnesota.) My rats... are cheeseheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Master Twig posted:

So, I asked a buddy what color I should paint the armor on my Rat army. He suggested warpstone green. Makes sense, skaven love warpstone. So I did up a model in warpstone green. I decided to go with yellow as the highlights, as it seemed like it would make for a good aesthetic.

Halfway through doing the trim I made a realization. My rats were Green Bay Packers colors (I'm from Minnesota.) My rats... are cheeseheads.

Really you want Macragge Blue, Dawnstone, and Wapstone Green. :hawksin:

• Locked thread