Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Zaphod42 posted:

Not to mention that they're worried about the cost-effectiveness of arrows one minute but then the next they don't even care about sacrificing their own men?! Equipping and paying those men is more expensive than some bloody arrows. Although back then there was no health insurance so maybe if you died in the King's service you just didn't get paid and he told your family to go gently caress themselves or something, so it was actually cost-effective to lose as many men as possible? :v:

Like others have said small caliber fire does very little to things like Elephants, so I would imagine a big T-Rex could actually realistically take rifle rounds and barely feel it.

But knowing that its really stupid that his character wouldn't take a loving elephant gun with him, or better yet a Barrett like stupid_sexy_flanders suggested or even an RPG. Big game hunters even use calibers in excess of .50 sometimes.

Obviously they were ill-equipped. They should have been using this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.577_Tyrannosaur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Just watched this - it's a very nicely done piece of horror, escalated to absolute bollock-clenching by how often I expected that gif to crop up.

It does however lead me into another Irrational movie moment:

Unnecessary stingers.

Every drat horror film seems to have this. Blood is shed, lives are split asunder, but eventually evil is defeated at some great cost. But instead of ending quietly and letting the audience process all the emotions of whatever hosed up nightmare scenario they've just lived through, the film will give you a hand clawing out the ground, or zoom in on a clutch of mutant eggs, or a possessed child, or a second evil book. It completely punctures the ending for a very limp almost-scare.

Also, physiology complaint: what the gently caress is a ten year old leukemia patient doing having a period?

If you're a huge pussy like me than the last-shot creepy smiles at the camera and stuff are very effective. Also sets up franchises.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Obviously they were ill-equipped. They should have been using this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.577_Tyrannosaur

"producing 10,180 foot-pounds force (13,800 J) of muzzle energy"

:eyepop: God drat

A 9mm bullet has like 600J of energy. That's more than 20x the stopping power.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Zaphod42 posted:

Not to mention that they're worried about the cost-effectiveness of arrows one minute but then the next they don't even care about sacrificing their own men?! Equipping and paying those men is more expensive than some bloody arrows. Although back then there was no health insurance so maybe if you died in the King's service you just didn't get paid and he told your family to go gently caress themselves or something, so it was actually cost-effective to lose as many men as possible? :v:
The nobles would have equipped their own men and not been paid--they owed service in exchange for their fiefs. But it's a moot point, because doing that would be silly and Braveheart is not a very good film. Hell, they did the battle of Stirling Bridge without the goddamn bridge.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also, physiology complaint: what the gently caress is a ten year old leukemia patient doing having a period?
Sadly (in America, at least), recent studies have shown that girls as young as seven are getting their periods. It seems to be affected most drastically by poor diet, and so the majority of that population are obese girls. The girl in the movie seems to be a pretty healthy weight though? I'm not a nutritionist or dietician anyway.

My IIMM is obviously fake rocks. Some characters are creeping around in a cave apparently comprised entirely of styrofoam. The only movie I can think of that did it very well was Shelob's cave in LotR: The Two Towers. Even then, we had that wobbling stalactite in the Glittering Caves under Helm's Deep, which was hilarious.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

John Big Booty posted:

The nobles would have equipped their own men and not been paid--they owed service in exchange for their fiefs. But it's a moot point, because doing that would be silly and Braveheart is not a very good film. Hell, they did the battle of Stirling Bridge without the goddamn bridge.

the craziest part of Braveheart is when they try and claim William Wallace fathered a baby with the Princess. Her first child wasn't born for almost 9 years after Wallace was dead.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Wrong Tyrannosaurus:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Re: Tall mouth syndrome - It started invading things since it showed up in the Mummy. It's pants on head retarded every god damned time it shows up, be it a spooky ghostie or a vamp or whatever.

I'm sure I've seen an avatar or a gif of a really old (black and white?) movie where there's a woman sitting on a porch or something and her mouth is this huge gaping hole. I know it has a real simple name I just cant remember it, and I did a few searches for various combinations of 'old horror movie woman wide mouth' and, I'm not going to do that anymore. The image does seem to be somewhat ubiquitous though I've seen it a few places.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Your Gay Uncle posted:

the craziest part of Braveheart is when they try and claim William Wallace fathered a baby with the Princess. Her first child wasn't born for almost 9 years after Wallace was dead.

We don't know for sure if she was. She could've been giving one last burn to Longshanks before he died.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Supreme Allah posted:

I'm sure I've seen an avatar or a gif of a really old (black and white?) movie where there's a woman sitting on a porch or something and her mouth is this huge gaping hole. I know it has a real simple name I just cant remember it, and I did a few searches for various combinations of 'old horror movie woman wide mouth' and, I'm not going to do that anymore. The image does seem to be somewhat ubiquitous though I've seen it a few places.

Perhaps you're thinking of the movie Begotten?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In Jurassic World, why did the pterosaurs start attacking people? I get that they were panicked and were going to cause a few casualties, but these were creatures that mostly ate stuff like fish. Them just grabbing random people and carrying them away or divebombing people and biting them just seemed odd. On a related note, Zara's death was so drawn out and horrific that it really took me out of the film. To me it didn't fit the tone of the series. Even the grisliest deaths (of which there are many) are usually over pretty quickly. Hers was so prolonged it just made me sad. :smith:

Obviously there are lots of things to :spergin: about in that movie (see: everything about Indomitus Rex) but that's the only part that really bugged me. I liked the movie a lot.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 04:39 on Jun 25, 2015

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

In Jurassic World...On a related note, Zara's death was so drawn out and horrific that it really took me out of the film. To me it didn't fit the tone of the series. Even the grisliest deaths (of which there are many) are usually over pretty quickly. Hers was so prolonged it just made me sad. :smith:

I liked the movie a lot and thought it was a bunch of fun, but yeah I felt the same way about this.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

In Jurassic World, why did the pterosaurs start attacking people? I get that they were panicked and were going to cause a few casualties, but these were creatures that mostly ate stuff like fish. Them just grabbing random people and carrying them away or divebombing people and biting them just seemed odd. On a related note, Zara's death was so drawn out and horrific that it really took me out of the film. To me it didn't fit the tone of the series. Even the grisliest deaths (of which there are many) are usually over pretty quickly. Hers was so prolonged it just made me sad. :smith:

Obviously there are lots of things to [spergin] about in that movie (see: everything about Indomitus Rex) but that's the only part that really bugged me. I liked the movie a lot.

If I recall correctly, some secondary source (rationally irritating: having to get info from secondary sources) explains that said dinosaurs were discovered to be winged human-haters, for reasons unknown even to their creators .

As for the second part, that's the point of it. We're conditioned to accept that kind of death for a Bad Person; that such a death could never be given to a Good Person. Turns out, wild animals don't care if you're a Good Person or a Bad Person. You're Potential Food.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Obviously there are lots of things to :spergin: about in that movie (see: everything about Indomitus Rex) but that's the only part that really bugged me. I liked the movie a lot.

The best I heard it put is that with Jurassic World is basically Poe's Law: The Movie.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

Dead Birds?

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Bit late but, I think you meant to link this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14.5%C3%97114mm
Double fun, glance at the DGE02 load.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The shot below the surface of her falling in the water was amazing tbf

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

kinmik posted:

My IIMM is obviously fake rocks. Some characters are creeping around in a cave apparently comprised entirely of styrofoam. The only movie I can think of that did it very well was Shelob's cave in LotR: The Two Towers. Even then, we had that wobbling stalactite in the Glittering Caves under Helm's Deep, which was hilarious.

Speaking of Lord of the Rings, I was annoyed in The Two Towers when, as Sarumon's army approached Helm's Deep, they got nice and lined up, and started chanting, or whatever, to psych out the humans and elves.

During this time, Aragorn has instructed the archers to draw and then hold, and then some old man accidentally let's an arrow loose, and it hits and kills an Uruk-Hai. Then Aragorn gives him a stern look and reiterates to HOLD!!!!

But...why?! I'm certainly no medieval-era military strategist, but I'm pretty sure the best strategy would be to loose as many loving arrows as you can, as fast as you can, the instant a good portion of the army is in range.

But I guess Aragorn is being gentlemanly, or something? And will only actually attack once he's 100% sure the Uruk-Hai are actually there to kill them and not just come in for a tea party.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

During this time, Aragorn has instructed the archers to draw and then hold, and then some old man accidentally let's an arrow loose, and it hits and kills an Uruk-Hai. Then Aragorn gives him a stern look and reiterates to HOLD!!!!

Yeah, if some old bastard can hit one in the face, it's safe to say they are within firing range.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Well look yes an orc will die when he gets perforated literally anywhere, even by a child with a particularly sharpened spoon as seen in the hobbit part three, but in theory you wait until you see the whites of their eyes so you can aim better and make the more use of your ammo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Panfilo posted:

We don't know for sure if she was. She could've been giving one last burn to Longshanks before he died.

The more worrisome thing is that the character in question was about nine years old at the time in which the movie was set. So they didn't just create a fake relationship, they made Wallace a paedophile.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

They have Sue contain it with a forcefield don't they?

Pretty sure Richards told her to 'try' and contain it. Which given her general uselessness up until that point would still make me worry for the future of the entire loving Earth. Pretty much whichever way you slice it risking human extinction to stop one dude who just wants to kill you is a dick move.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

kinmik posted:

Sadly (in America, at least), recent studies have shown that girls as young as seven are getting their periods. It seems to be affected most drastically by poor diet, and so the majority of that population are obese girls. The girl in the movie seems to be a pretty healthy weight though? I'm not a nutritionist or dietician anyway.

It's the exact opposite. Onset of menarche is *delayed* by poor nutrition. It's been occurring at earlier and earlier ages over the past century, everywhere that people have access to enough food/micronutrients, and decent health systems that limit the occurrence of disease. There may be other influencing factors (like birth-control-pill metabolites in the water supply, etc), but "Most experts...agree that the early decline in the age of puberty is likely directly attributable to decreased rates of disease and increased nutrition, and the ability of human females to adapt their sexual maturation to environmental cues (e.g., health, food and shelter)."

http://www.cwhn.ca/en/node/39365

Certain treatments for leukemia might induce early menarche.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of Lord of the Rings, I was annoyed in The Two Towers when, as Sarumon's army approached Helm's Deep, they got nice and lined up, and started chanting, or whatever, to psych out the humans and elves.

That's my second favorite moment in Two towers because when that Uruk drops dead his pals are looking at each other in utter confusion, which then turns to anger. I always think "They killed Larry, the fuckers. That does it, attack!" when the Uruks react to their fallen companion.

My favorite moment is Theoden's face when it starts raining. It's the perfect weary "Aw gently caress, and now this" face.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Krinkle posted:

Well look yes an orc will die when he gets perforated literally anywhere, even by a child with a particularly sharpened spoon as seen in the hobbit part three, but in theory you wait until you see the whites of their eyes so you can aim better and make the more use of your ammo.

Well, if you're worried about how many arrows you've got. If you have plenty then you can just start firing as soon as the enemy get in range and keep firing as fast as you can to take out as many of them as possible before they get close enough to fight back, surely.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kinmik posted:

Ah yeah I notice this one all the time. Or fake metal. Most movies won't use actual metal for armor or weapons or guns because poo poo's heavy, so its just painted plastic. Sometimes in the camera lens you can't tell the difference, but sometimes you definitely loving can.

Its so blatant sometimes it reminds me of old Scooby Doo Hanna-Barbera cartoons, where the cel animation style meant that backgrounds were sometimes not the same color as objects in the background even though they were supposed to be. So you'd have Shaggy and Scooby walking through a valley and there's all these rocks that are one color, and then all of a sudden there's a big bolder and its like a bright grey instead of a dark grey, it sticks out like a sore thumb. As soon as you see that you know that rock is going to be animated, there's a 90% chance somebody's gonna roll that rock over and jump out to spook Shaggy. Same with doors; if a door blends in to the background it won't be opened but if it stands out brighter its definitely about to open.

On the one hand its impressive how some sets are totally fake but look convincing in film, but then some movies push it too far or don't put in enough work and it looks like garbage. If you watch the behind the scenes footage of LOTR the sets don't look nearly as impressive as they do on film, its more like a Disney World attraction set or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

But...why?! I'm certainly no medieval-era military strategist, but I'm pretty sure the best strategy would be to loose as many loving arrows as you can, as fast as you can, the instant a good portion of the army is in range.

But I guess Aragorn is being gentlemanly, or something? And will only actually attack once he's 100% sure the Uruk-Hai are actually there to kill them and not just come in for a tea party.

Yeah that part was dumb as hell and way too over-emphasized.

I'm pretty drat sure the ONLY reason that scene happened is because of the "HOOOOLD" scene from Braveheart. Peter Jackson was completely working from the Braveheart school of battle scene filming. (I would probably use Braveheart for a reference too honestly) He has Aragorn give the exact same type of inspiring speech while riding across the army, as though his voice could carry the whole way.

Each part of his army would only hear one bit of his speech. "Hey, what did he say? We're going to forsake our friends? What?"

The only thing I can imagine for why he might say "HOOOOOLD" at that point is that he's just stalling period. He knows that his ace in the hole is Gandalf making it back in time, so he's doing everything he can to just kinda stall the orcs and waste time. Battles can be over really fast, so he's trying to save every minute he can get before it starts. That kinda works?

Tiggum posted:

Well, if you're worried about how many arrows you've got. If you have plenty then you can just start firing as soon as the enemy get in range and keep firing as fast as you can to take out as many of them as possible before they get close enough to fight back, surely.

And you'd think of all people a bunch of elves would probably bring enough arrows with them.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

And you'd think of all people a bunch of elves would probably bring enough arrows with them.

I looks like elves have some sort of unlimited arrow cheat anyway, so I think you are right, and it is just a device for drama.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The thing that always gets me about that scene is, why is Aragorn having them draw their bows and then waiting for the Uruk-hai to get into range? Why have your soldiers tire their drawing arms like that and then get surprised when someone in your army composed in large part of any random person you can desperately get your hands on can't hold it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

The thing that always gets me about that scene is, why is Aragorn having them draw their bows and then waiting for the Uruk-hai to get into range? Why have your soldiers tire their drawing arms like that and then get surprised when someone in your army composed in large part of any random person you can desperately get your hands on can't hold it?

Yeah that's just plain bad archery.

Maybe they should have had Legolas leading the archers instead :cheeky: But then we couldn't get that cool shot where he swings his sword arm forward and the camera pans over all the arrows!

Also Legolas is a loving sniper with his bow throughout all of hobbit and LOTR (In the Hobbit he's goddamn Master Chief) but then all of a sudden its really important that he makes a shot on the dude with the torch, and of course he misses. Or I guess he hits the guy but he keeps running? Still, everybody legolas has shot at has died instantly except maybe the cave troll.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The elves in the scene actually don't draw until they're about to shoot. It's just the humans who are holding.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Also Legolas is a loving sniper with his bow throughout all of hobbit and LOTR (In the Hobbit he's goddamn Master Chief) but then all of a sudden its really important that he makes a shot on the dude with the torch, and of course he misses. Or I guess he hits the guy but he keeps running? Still, everybody legolas has shot at has died instantly except maybe the cave troll.

He hits him twice, but due to the angle, they go into his shoulder. He also wore a helmet so he was probably aiming for a weak spot, but that orc had one job that ended in death, so it probably ignored what would eventually kill it given enough time.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Phanatic posted:

It's the exact opposite. Onset of menarche is *delayed* by poor nutrition. It's been occurring at earlier and earlier ages over the past century, everywhere that people have access to enough food/micronutrients, and decent health systems that limit the occurrence of disease. There may be other influencing factors (like birth-control-pill metabolites in the water supply, etc), but "Most experts...agree that the early decline in the age of puberty is likely directly attributable to decreased rates of disease and increased nutrition, and the ability of human females to adapt their sexual maturation to environmental cues (e.g., health, food and shelter)."

http://www.cwhn.ca/en/node/39365

Certain treatments for leukemia might induce early menarche.
Consider me educated.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its so blatant sometimes it reminds me of old Scooby Doo Hanna-Barbera cartoons, where the cel animation style meant that backgrounds were sometimes not the same color as objects in the background even though they were supposed to be. So you'd have Shaggy and Scooby walking through a valley and there's all these rocks that are one color, and then all of a sudden there's a big bolder and its like a bright grey instead of a dark grey, it sticks out like a sore thumb. As soon as you see that you know that rock is going to be animated, there's a 90% chance somebody's gonna roll that rock over and jump out to spook Shaggy. Same with doors; if a door blends in to the background it won't be opened but if it stands out brighter its definitely about to open.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hahaha, that's brilliant.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm not an expert on Lord of The Rings battle tactics or anything and it wouldn't have mattered too much in this instance because they were very short range shooting at a mass of soldiers and not any sort of formation but generally speaking you want all of your archers to fire at the same time at the same place. Concentrating the shots is much more effective that firing at will.

The annoying thing about that scene is how long Aragorn makes them hold their shots. You don't want archers to hold their shots for very long because it is very tiring to hold that much pressure back for too long. You want to loose your arrows about 2 or 3 seconds after drawing. Any longer and you are going to tire your archers out.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Morpheus posted:

So in Jurassic World, Chris Pratt's character carries around a Marlin lever-action rifle:

I wasn't paying attention, but my more gun-interested friend brought it up after the movie: as far as she could tell, Pratt's character never actually uses the lever-action, he just shoots it like it's a semi-automatic.

He uses the lever action, it's just never focused upon.

In Jurassic World, why Zara's death was so drawn out and horrific that it really took me out of the film. To me it didn't fit the tone of the series. Even the grisliest deaths (of which there are many) are usually over pretty quickly. Hers was so prolonged it just made me sad. :smith:

Yeah it was so drawn out that I was wondering if the actress pissed off some people or something.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Zaphod42 posted:

On the one hand its impressive how some sets are totally fake but look convincing in film, but then some movies push it too far or don't put in enough work and it looks like garbage. If you watch the behind the scenes footage of LOTR the sets don't look nearly as impressive as they do on film, its more like a Disney World attraction set or something.

Ever been on a film set? It's the fruitiest, fakest thing you can imagine. Even if you're Herzog shooting in the Amazon there'll be flood lights and guys in polo shirts running around giving bagels to the indians and conquistadors or whatever. For a big comfy blockbuster like LOTR it's got to look even sillier. There's a ton of craft that goes into shaping the raw materials into something that fits our idea of what a "real" movie looks like

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Glukeose posted:

Perhaps you're thinking of the movie Begotten?

That's it. That's what I think of for big mouths in horror movies, not The Mummy.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Krinkle posted:

http://oglaf.com/newmodelarmy/

its oglaf so its nsfw.

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, that was in the middle of the loving apocalypse, so maybe its kinda fair to assume she's a demon and not just having dementia. :v: You're forgetting that this is a post "apocalypse exists" world. Shoot first and ask questions later.

I think that screenshot actually looks pretty creepy. It was supposed to be unexpected that the old lady is actually evil, and the reveal with her kinda mutating her body dimensions is pretty freaky. You might just be desensitized to horror or something.

actually the apocalypse happens during the movie and they are angels not demons.

snergle has a new favorite as of 04:00 on Jun 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zaphod42 posted:

Those elves had to basically sprint all the way from their forest to make it there. They weren't carry much.