Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

bhsman posted:

That's what I'm saying: He refuses to progress on the 2.0 storyline (he's around the level 46 quests IIRC) before buying Heavensward, and he already has a level 50 character.

Wait what? You said he doesn't want to waste the exp and that's why he's not levelling, but he would get the exp and be able to level to 51 even before he gets heavensward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ActionZero posted:

Wait what? You said he doesn't want to waste the exp and that's why he's not levelling, but he would get the exp and be able to level to 51 even before he gets heavensward.

Let me clarify then: He doesn't have Heavensward, but does have a level 50. However, he doesn't want to do any of the 2.1-2.55 stuff because he thinks it'll give him an advantage once he gets Heavensward, even if that means putting off Castrum and Prae.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

bhsman posted:

Let me clarify then: He doesn't have Heavensward, but does have a level 50. However, he doesn't want to do any of the 2.1-2.55 stuff because he thinks it'll give him an advantage once he gets Heavensward, even if that means putting off Castrum and Prae.

Your friend is not only wrong but literally doesn't make any sense.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

:getin:

(seriously make sure you watch all the cutscenes)

Well! That poo poo was creepy. Razz tells me that the npc ghost will pop up from time to time, stare at you and fade away. nopenopenopenope

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

rock2much posted:

Well! That poo poo was creepy. Razz tells me that the npc ghost will pop up from time to time, stare at you and fade away. nopenopenopenope

Yoshida has said we will be seeing more of her, please look forward to it. :cry:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

sword_man.gif posted:

warriors can fell cleave for over 11k and they don't have to abuse a latency bug to do it

This makes me so hard :black101:

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
So how do end game SMNs and SCHs feel about their pets? I've hear whispers they become kinda deadweight? Thinking about leveling an ACN but the pet element is what I like the most about the classes.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

psymonkey posted:

So how do end game SMNs and SCHs feel about their pets? I've hear whispers they become kinda deadweight? Thinking about leveling an ACN but the pet element is what I like the most about the classes.

I find that I tend to care about my pet about once a minute. It's essentially just another cooldown attached to a resource that can die.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bhsman posted:

That's what I'm saying: He refuses to progress on the 2.0 storyline (he's around the level 46 quests IIRC) before buying Heavensward, and he already has a level 50 character.

Your friend is an idiot and it's your duty as their friend to remind them of this.

sword_man.gif posted:

warriors can fell cleave for over 11k and they don't have to abuse a latency bug to do it

So what kind of DPS are you putting out as a WAR compared to the actual DPS classes in that group?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Does anyone play this on the ps4? Is it possible to use my keyboard for hotkeys because anytime I try to type c to look at my character or anything like that it immediately starts typing in the chat instead.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I did the last set of 2.55 quests before starting Heavensward. I got ~4000 exp per quest, and it's 800k to go from 50 to 51. He might not even make it all the way to 51 before Steps of Faith.

I got Steps today for my trial roulette. We had a newbie in it. He leveled to 51 off of completing it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Does anyone play this on the ps4? Is it possible to use my keyboard for hotkeys because anytime I try to type c to look at my character or anything like that it immediately starts typing in the chat instead.
Turn off direct chat.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Zerilan posted:

Yeah, and I don't think there should be any problem with TK being usable in a standing rotation when it's only 330 potency on a 60sec CD as is.

I get the impression that SE is trying to avoid that, but yeah it would be fine. I really just want to be do more sick flips on dudes.

Tildryn
Mar 18, 2009

bhsman posted:

Courtesy of reddit, the XP curve:

Your friend's retarded.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ActionZero posted:

Your friend is not only wrong but literally doesn't make any sense.

And that's why I posted here. :v:

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hey Moogle skyland!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

SwissArmyDruid posted:

LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF MY LUDICROUS CRITS

Listen, hey. War main. Like, I feel you. But man, every time I top DPS in a dungeon spending the entire run in Deliverance I'm like...man. This is going to come back to bite me so god drat hard.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Tanking warriors do like 70-80% of the dps of a melee right now which is kinda wild. I was running bismark ex earlier and we had a smn/mnk at 1k, me at 750, war at 700, and another bard at 500.

We also haven't even begun to see any of the stuff we saw in 2.x in terms of melded gear, which'll bump war DPS up to hilarious levels.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RC Cola posted:

I just bought this on my ps4 and accidentally linked it to the wrong square account on my pc. Is there anyway to undo that or am I hosed forever?

Wait, I thought the keys were platform specific. Can I buy a a key from GMG and apply it to my ps4 account?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I fixed my computer a day before getting an email from SE telling me Heavensward can now be purchased. I guess it's my destiny to play XIV?

I really missed this game. Not looking forward to having to redo my UI though.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Oh my god, I just found out about gold saucer. I've wasted so much time racing chocobos and playing triple triad. This game is amazing. I should be leveling but minigames are so much fun, for now at least.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

bonewitch posted:

Tanking warriors do like 70-80% of the dps of a melee right now which is kinda wild. I was running bismark ex earlier and we had a smn/mnk at 1k, me at 750, war at 700, and another bard at 500.

We also haven't even begun to see any of the stuff we saw in 2.x in terms of melded gear, which'll bump war DPS up to hilarious levels.

Speaking of, anyone have any comparative numbers for DRK DPS? I was running (55) with my Ninja friend and we were killing mobs at about the same rate.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Kaldaris posted:

Speaking of, anyone have any comparative numbers for DRK DPS? I was running (55) with my Ninja friend and we were killing mobs at about the same rate.

Some guy on reddit was saying with a Ravana EX weapon he was doing like 800 w/o Grit.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
So I've been playing this for two days now, just hit lvl 18. I had a few questions.

1. Are there any sidequest lines it would behoove me to get started on now that I will regret not doing later? I started as a Conjurer, if it matters. I just completed the emissary quest and visited the other 2 capitals.

2. Is it necessary to grind out at least one gathering skill and one making skill? If so, are any more in demand than others, or more valuable?

3. When is a good time to start leveling your secondary job class? I was aiming for White Mage ultimately.

4. I've been dumping all my stat points in mind. Should I just keep doing that? Are they ever refundable?

5. Anything I should really be aware of as a noob that I'm probably not? I've read most of the beginner guides but they can only cover so much.

I'm on a trial account as well, though I'll probably have to buy the actual game tomorrow or be stuck at the level cap. I'm on Goblin right now because character creation wasn't up on Excal. Name is 'Littlest Buddy.'

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bonewitch posted:

Act works for dx11 now? And does anyone have a download for spell timers for all the new skills?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

chocoboat

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I got DRK to 54 before maintenance, and picked up Plunge. Does the distance on it--and the animation, actually--feel oddly disappointing to anyone else? :(

Kuai
May 25, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

So I've been playing this for two days now, just hit lvl 18. I had a few questions.

1. Are there any sidequest lines it would behoove me to get started on now that I will regret not doing later? I started as a Conjurer, if it matters. I just completed the emissary quest and visited the other 2 capitals.

dont waste your time on "le epig meme hildibrand" until you get to 60.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

2. Is it necessary to grind out at least one gathering skill and one making skill? If so, are any more in demand than others, or more valuable?

3. When is a good time to start leveling your secondary job class? I was aiming for White Mage ultimately.

4. I've been dumping all my stat points in mind. Should I just keep doing that? Are they ever refundable?

5. Anything I should really be aware of as a noob that I'm probably not? I've read most of the beginner guides but they can only cover so much.

I'm on a trial account as well, though I'll probably have to buy the actual game tomorrow or be stuck at the level cap. I'm on Goblin right now because character creation wasn't up on Excal. Name is 'Littlest Buddy.'

The quest Rising to the Challenge in Limsa Lominsa gets you the challenge log. The log gives a good amount of experience and gil for doing things you'll probably be doing anyway and it resets every week.

Try and make a character on Excalibur as soon as the servers come back up from maintenance tonight, it might be empty enough for character creation by then.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

bonewitch posted:

I would wager money on WAR hands down surpassing classes like MCH in DPS right now.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I got DRK to 54 before maintenance, and picked up Plunge. Does the distance on it--and the animation, actually--feel oddly disappointing to anyone else? :(

Not in the slightest. It loving owns so hard and every time I use it I want to do a little fist pump.

This is mostly withdrawal from not having a gap closer for loving 18 months+.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kuai posted:

Now that's just ungentlemanly.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Ciaphas posted:

The animation is a bit weak, but the utility of it is soooo nice.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Kuai posted:

As much as this guy is a pissbaby loser who hates fun, you really ought to just get to 60 before doing the Hildibrand quests just because they're completely optional side content that offers no exp.

That said, as soon as you're comfortable with taking the time, go do them! They're a lot of fun and have some fantastic cutscene direction, especially in terms of facial animation. Plus, you need them done to unlock Trial Roulette, because certain Trial fights only occur through them.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

UglyDucklett posted:

Now that's just ungentlemanly.
hildibrand is funny but the 60 content is like a million times better

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

yooooooo

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ciaphas posted:

chocoboat

gold fringe

that chocobo can't be tried in any court!!

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

1) http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

2) No, crafting/gathering is a whole beast animal. Either level what you want for fun, get serious and level everything for the cross class skills, or ignore it.

3) Doesn't matter. Getting some levels on ACN early will give you access to their cross class skills for leveling (not that they have much). You can level to 15 now or at 30, whenever you want. Any class behind your highest gets a 100% XP bonus so it's much faster. Also as WHM you'll probably want to level THM at some point for swift cast.

4) That should be fine because of cleric stance. You can refund them at any time with like a 250 seal book from your grand company once you unlock them at level 20.

5) When you level other classes don't for get to cross class skills. Enemies aggro is line of sight based so you can run right behind them and they won't aggro as long as you don't enter their cone of vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
This'll probably be efb, but whatever!

Off the top of my head, enabling your Challenge Log will be nice. Think of them as weekly quests for everything you do, rewards XP and gil. There are others, but that's the big one early on.

quote:

Not necessary. If you delve into crafting, you'll find that they rely on each other - ALC makes things needed for ALC which makes things needed for CUL and so on. You'll generally get better mileage out of leves for crafting/gathering (since combat classes get FATEs, duties, quests, and so on). Once you get close to the 100 leve cap, it would be better in the long run to burn some leves for crafting and gathering. Getting all the crafting skills to 15 is good since they open up useful cross class skills. There are others at higher levels (CUL at 30, CRP at 50, WVR at 50, etc.) but those are the basics.

The demand for crafting is in a little bit of flux right now with the expansion, so pick whatever appeals to you.

I think the most universally useful assets for crafting are -

1) Repair anywhere using cheap Dark Matter
2) Converting old normal/HQ/aetherial gear to materia

That said, there's a lot to it especially at the high end.

quote:

Once you get CNJ to 30, level up ACN to 15. That'll let you do the job quest for WHM.

More long term, level THM to 26 for Swiftcast, and ACN to 45 for Eye for an Eye / Sacred Soil.

quote:

That's what you should be doing. Around level 20, you'll pick a Grand Company to join. One of the first things you can buy from them is a Keeper's Hymn which resets your bonus points. It's cheap, uses GC seals which you get from the GC Hunting log, from FATEs, from some Challenges, some leves, etc.

Your first GC purchase, though, should be for your mount, most likely followed by a weapon upgrade.

quote:

Agreed that coming over to Excalibur would be the best thing. We have 3 FCs, and there are usually folks around to ask for help. Of course, bear in mind that people can be busy with their own stuff, especially with HW out this week.

Last thing is me being a shill, but yes!

If you haven't already grabbed one from someone else, go ahead and enter in this Recruit-a-Friend code - 5NGQPAV9. If you enter the code then upgrade the game and pay for a month of game time, you'll get a headgear that all classes can wear that boosts XP gain by 25% up to level 25. There are other perks as well, and I totally get something out of it if you pay for game time, but yeah.

• Locked thread