Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Cojawfee posted:

This is just going to lead to people mailing in bags of bottle caps in a "me too" fashion.

Yeah, I think this person is number two or three who has done this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
1200 unread posts. Has anything new been put out since their presentation at E3?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
:speculate:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Volkerball posted:

1200 unread posts. Has anything new been put out since their presentation at E3?

At this current moment, the few concrete details we've learned since then is that ammo is separated into categories (physical, energy, and I believe plasma?) and that there's about 10 QA testers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Xavier434 posted:

So umm...I have not been following this thread other than catching up on some recent pages and I just wanted to say that I am going to buy this game and play it a lot. I have zero worries about not enjoying my time quite a bit even if a lot of the complaints/worries expressed in this thread turn out to be accurate.

Same. Welcome to the Monster Brew Crew.

I Am A Robot posted:

basic competency

Oh, come on. You have to at least admit that these two are competent!

As for the Lovecraft stuff, I know MA is a ripe setting for it, but I hope it's only a reference or two. That stuff fits more with Elder Scrolls than it does with Fallout.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Monster brew crew best crew.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
True Blue Brew Crew

nael
Sep 10, 2009
I really hope all of the npcs have ridiculous frankenguns too. But I have a feeling they'll all have boring old base weapons.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

As for the Lovecraft stuff, I know MA is a ripe setting for it, but I hope it's only a reference or two. That stuff fits more with Elder Scrolls than it does with Fallout.

Oh come on you can't tell me you wouldn't kill for a Call of Cthulhu DLC like Mothership Zeta, where you get to shoot Yog Sothoth in the face with a fatman.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, but then I shot a nuke at it and it died.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Oh come on you can't tell me you wouldn't kill for a Call of Cthulhu DLC like Mothership Zeta, where you get to shoot Yog Sothoth in the face with a mininuke.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, but then I shot a nuke at it and it died.

I don't think anyone wants anything that is like Mothership Zeta. Good god that DLC was terrible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whaaat that was the best DLC. It had rayguns. Better than the dumb Pitt dlc or... whatever the other one was I forgot.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Whaaat that was the best DLC. It had rayguns. Better than the dumb Pitt dlc or... whatever the other one was I forgot.

I liked that instead of giving the enemies a billion hit points, they just gave them energy shields that took the same number of bullets to bring down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah of all the bullet spongey enemies the aliens at least made sense.

Also they gave you sweet rayguns which did a bunch of damage to kill them with which helped.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Zeta's concept was fun and the DLC itself is very unique and interesting. But from a gameplay standpoint, the enemies were bullet spongy, unvaried, the levels were mostly samey and linear, and the unique segments like the space walk or UFO fight were either pointless or went on for too long.

I'm also still not sure if the gun you get where the Pipboy icon just reads "PipOS Error!" is supposed to be that way.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The plot of Escape from New York would make for a good Bethesda style openworld game. You even start as a prisoner!

Xavier434 posted:

So umm...I have not been following this thread other than catching up on some recent pages and I just wanted to say that I am going to buy this game and play it a lot. I have zero worries about not enjoying my time quite a bit even if a lot of the complaints/worries expressed in this thread turn out to be accurate.

Anyways, back to your in depth discussions about why Bethesda and this game sucks or something.

Same. I mean it is easy, and fun, to complain about Bethesda's limitations, so I'm not saying complaints aren't legitimate, but I've enjoyed all their stuff since Morrowind despite their various issues so...

I do have to wonder about people who apparently think all their games since Oblivion are utter poo poo yet still follow every bit of news about this game and post a lot in this thread.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

I'm just upset that Bethesda didn't consult the Games forum when they where designing this game. Rope Kid understood what a pillar of the community SA is and rightfully consulted us during the design process of New Vegas. We could have pointed out all of these problems much earlier.

I'm Todd Howard and I've taken note of the repeated demands for a jive-talking demigender protagonist.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Theta Zero posted:

I'm also still not sure if the gun you get where the Pipboy icon just reads "PipOS Error!" is supposed to be that way.

It's not, thats what the game displays when you add in a new weapon but don't include an image for the game to use in the pip boy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm Todd Howard, actually. You can tell because I'm lying about being Todd Howard, and Todd Howard is a liar.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The robot will recognise hundreds of names so anything you call your character, the robot will say it in voiced dialogue. Here is a sample of some of the names you can choose:

Howard
Todd
Todd Howard
T-Bone
T-Dog
Mister H
T.H.
Creative Director Todd Howard
Super Todd
Adolf Hitler

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Frank Horrigan :pray:

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Rutibex posted:

Oh good, if they started right after Fallout 3 that means the story can't contain anything of substance from New Vegas. I guess we won't be hearing about the fate of NCR or Ceasars legions.

I was about to reply "why is that an absolute" when I caught your "of substance". I would expect and look forward to any nods to NV here and there.

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 25, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A quick Google search indicates my name is the 53rd most popular, so the robot will recognize it.

Norman is number 113, but regrettably, Shaggy is nowhere to be seen.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

texaholic posted:

I am not familiar with the Greater Boston/New England area, any idea on cool DLC locations? Canada, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island don't sound very exciting. Hopefully some cool point lookout -esque location. Gotta figure the first DLC will be released around this time next year and is probably what bethesda's creative talent is working on right now. I'd imagine FO4 is largely in QA and bug fixing phase right now.

Someone else already mentioned NYC, but that'd be my first guess. It opens the biggest loving door on the east coast for the next game.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Maybe they hold off on the Lovecraft spooky stuff for a Maine DLC.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Skiing in Vermont - that was very popular and chic in the 1950s. That or something in involving Lovecraftian horrors and/or witchcraft because thats so original.

Of course they could suprise us - Pittsburgh is a fair distance from DC and we visited there. It also sounded like they had slaves and raiders coming in from as far away as Ontario, Ohio and Illinois so people do get around.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I would think they'd save NYC for a full game. I think the DLC will depend on how much of Boston is included in the base game (and what their focus is), because there's a lot of material to mine for, and it looks like the map is pretty focused on a particular area of Cambridge and downtown Boston. I think they're focusing on the Freedom Trail area because it seems like they're aiming for a vibe there, and Cambridge for MIT. If they want The Institute to have a rivalry, then Harvard is pretty close, and there's a lot they can probably do with the ocean and places like Castle Island.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Let's just go to Miami fight mutated crocodiles

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ofaloaf posted:

Maybe they hold off on the Lovecraft spooky stuff for a Maine DLC.

Co-written by Stephen King

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

QuantaStarFire posted:

Co-written by Stephen King

He gives no shits about money these days, understandably, and likes doing weird side projects, so he'd probably agree to write for a video game if somebody asked him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But Stephen King doesn't get why lovecraft is good, because he always explains that Actually It Was A Clown Spider at the end.

He's like the weird christian lovecraft authors who keep trying to frame the whole thing as a good vs evil thing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

But Stephen King doesn't get why lovecraft is good, because he always explains that Actually It Was A Clown Spider at the end.

He's like the weird christian lovecraft authors who keep trying to frame the whole thing as a good vs evil thing.

That's only his full novels, his short story works are way stronger and he even did a lovecraft pastiche piece that's probably better than most of lovecraft's output in Crouch End.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I would think they'd save NYC for a full game. I think the DLC will depend on how much of Boston is included in the base game (and what their focus is), because there's a lot of material to mine for, and it looks like the map is pretty focused on a particular area of Cambridge and downtown Boston. I think they're focusing on the Freedom Trail area because it seems like they're aiming for a vibe there, and Cambridge for MIT. If they want The Institute to have a rivalry, then Harvard is pretty close, and there's a lot they can probably do with the ocean and places like Castle Island.

Speaking of Boston - I've barely been there (had dinner at their House of Blues and did work in Quincy) so I have little insight as to what to expect on the layout. This is helpful. So based on the trailer and dev talk we know that either through gameplay or video that we have confirmed: a collegiate area with low-to-mid rises, downtown with taller buildings & scrapers, a suburb, what else?

Unconfirmed (but would make sense): subway/underground system, tunnels, a port, an island, Fenway Park,

Can you describe the Freedom Trail and what sections of the city it cuts through?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

frajaq posted:

Let's just go to Miami fight mutated crocodiles

The female ghouls here throw gelatinous, silicon orbs at your face until you lose all your caps.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Suave Fedora posted:

Someone else already mentioned NYC, but that'd be my first guess. It opens the biggest loving door on the east coast for the next game.

NYC would be a very unique Fallout because of how it's built. I've spent over a month of my life there since 2008, and Manhattan is so urbanized it's almost like being in one of those sci-fi city planets. It's easily possible to spend your entire day surrounded by concrete and glass without ever once seeing open ground bigger than a city block and not seeing the rivers; Manhattan is pretty thin, but it's extremely dense. On the other hand, Central Park is so massive that just walking a short distance into the park completely cuts off any of the sounds and smells of the rest of the city and it becomes nothing but buildings in a distant skyline. The outer boroughs are slightly less urbanized but large swathes are still similar in how dense they are. You have to go out to the edge of Queens and the Bronx to find proper suburbs and 100% residential areas.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lovecraft is played out and was never that funny or spooky to begin with. I hope they avoid the subject like the plague

Or if they do, they should make it a Point Lookout skin so that it's an unfun, spongey slog that makes you resent living

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

OwlFancier posted:

gently caress I wish the Dark Tower had ended that way :negative:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Bicyclops posted:

Cask of Amontillado sidequest confirmed.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

Lovecraft is played out and was never that funny or spooky to begin with. I hope they avoid the subject like the plague

Or if they do, they should make it a Point Lookout skin so that it's an unfun, spongey slog that makes you resent living
I like the twist endings of Lovecraft-inspired things that the beast was humanity all along because really, nothing else can be more terrifying to someone

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've never read a Lovecraft story but I don't get the impression they're supposed to be funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd mostly like a lovecraft bit because:

1. Fallout is a great setting for it, you can have any amount of weird poo poo and it fits.
2. Fallout has gattling laser guns, so you can subvert the old trope of only being able to run away from the monsters.
3. It's an excuse to put really powerful enemies in that can challenge a guy in power armor with a minigun.
4. Lovecraft works well with a videogame format, because his stories are all about some weedy guy blundering into something that he doesn't understand and isn't explained, it is really well suited to showing not telling and you don't have to understand what's happening really. Just make a creepy and dangerous environment which fucks with you a bunch.
5. Excuse to have really cool setpieces and environments that are a break from the normal fallout fayre.

Seriously I want to shoot a mi-go in the dick, let me do that todd howard.

Phlegmish posted:

I've never read a Lovecraft story but I don't get the impression they're supposed to be funny

Play a call of cthulhu tabletop game. Getting eaten by a shoggoth on the first round because you went insane from seeing it and decided you wanted to hug it is hilarious.

• Locked thread