Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ghost of Starman posted:

What... what happened? :saddowns:

**Still not sure which one I'm remembering here.

Terrible decisions, terrible programming.

That was Aion, which has also suffered under terrible decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Ghost of Starman posted:

Jeezus Christ. :stare:
On a whim, maybe I saw an ad for it or something I dunno, I thought "huh. ArcheAge. I remember hearing the name a lot a while back; I wonder which of those 4th-gen MMOs that was. Was it the one with the anime boobs?* Or the one where everybody gets wings?**" So I popped into the thread, read the OP, then skipped to the last couple pages.

*TERA - tried it through the tutorial zones, couldn't stomach it.

Have you heard, friend, the phrase 'Minimum Viable Product'

Well that's what the NA version of this was

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Aion everyone has wings

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

As bad as Aion is it was still outperforming Wildstar in their last financial statement.

Danith posted:

Holy poo poo. And wasn't Aion released 2-3 years earlier? I would think it would be a ghost town by now.

http://www.readycheck.org/en/forum/wildstar/news/ncsoft-2014-financial-results-wildstar-hits-rock-bottom/

It's probably the Asian markets propping it up.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 23, 2015

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Unguided posted:

As bad as Aion is it was still outperforming Wildstar in their last financial statement.

Holy poo poo. And wasn't Aion released 2-3 years earlier? I would think it would be a ghost town by now.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Ghost of Starman posted:

Jeezus Christ. :stare:
On a whim, maybe I saw an ad for it or something I dunno, I thought "huh. ArcheAge. I remember hearing the name a lot a while back; I wonder which of those 4th-gen MMOs that was. Was it the one with the anime boobs?* Or the one where everybody gets wings?**" So I popped into the thread, read the OP, then skipped to the last couple pages.

*TERA - tried it through the tutorial zones, couldn't stomach it.

Best $60 I ever spent. The game was shite but the threads were gold.

Did they ever fix the rampant hacks? Did they ever care? I remember that you could toggle buffs locally or some such.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nien posted:

Best $60 I ever spent. The game was shite but the threads were gold.

Did they ever fix the rampant hacks? Did they ever care? I remember that you could toggle buffs locally or some such.

no, the game was designed broken and the publisher does not have the ability to fix anything.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Danith posted:

Last I heard, Aion was still pretty big in Asian countries. It was a complete flop in the US though. That's loving crazy that Lineage 1 is still pulling in almost 240 million dollars.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I played Lineage 1 and 2 and frankly I'd rather play 1 as well.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Played L2 for a long long time, never looked at L1

With how crap most (All) mmo's are these day maybe it is time to look into it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's rather funny. Asian players are hilariously PVP averse, yet the most successful NCSoft MMOs seem to be Lineage 1&2, which are by far the most brutal.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I looked into Lineage 1 but noticed they shut the North American servers down 4 years ago. I guess you'd have to play on Korean servers or nothing.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

It's rather funny. Asian players are hilariously PVP averse, yet the most successful NCSoft MMOs seem to be Lineage 1&2, which are by far the most brutal.

I quit Lineage 2 for similar reasons as Archeage oddly enough. Very pretty game, but just rampant with hackers and bots and as long as they were paying customers, NCSoft did not give one gently caress whatsoever. Also if you died in Lineage 2 you could drop your weapon/armour. In some games this is fine, because you can just get another one, or have a stockpile or armoury or something. In Lineage 2, your equipment represents months and months of grinding and haggling. gently caress that game.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

I quit Lineage 2 for similar reasons as Archeage oddly enough. Very pretty game, but just rampant with hackers and bots and as long as they were paying customers, NCSoft did not give one gently caress whatsoever. Also if you died in Lineage 2 you could drop your weapon/armour. In some games this is fine, because you can just get another one, or have a stockpile or armoury or something. In Lineage 2, your equipment represents months and months of grinding and haggling. gently caress that game.

That sounds like it has pretty great griefing potential, which is right up my alley. Do you also have to be a tryhard in order to take down the king spergs with the best armor?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
If your numbers ain't big enough, you ain't up to snuff in Lineage 2 pvp.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hope you spent enough money on S grade attack crystals too! Also hope you're one of 2 or 3 dps classes that dominates the others. Oh poo poo just like Archeage.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah the bots in L2 were rampant, infact on the server i was on you were considered legit if you 'watched' your bots. I still managed to get main and 3 subs to max lvl without botting though.

And dropping items was pretty much done away with gradually. Then when you could enchant them with pvp or whatever that was so they couldnt be traded/dropped it was pretty much a signal that bots had won.

If you wanted to grief, chronical 3 i think was probably the last time you could.

If you died to a mob you could still drop armour and inventory items, but not an equipped weapon.

It was also the catacombs. Tight spaced rooms with 4x hp mobs.

Hardest part was going red killing bots to get enough mobs to train onto other bot groups.
(and mobs still followed you till they killed you or you got far enough away they couldnt see you. None of this I'm giving up because you stepped out of my pathing radius crap they have now)

I think i had a red spellhowler to clear a room, then would log my treasurehunter in to fake death and hopefully pick up some free loot.
(I logged into a free account for L2 a week ago. I love the game still, but cant do mouse to move anymore. If they upgrade the engine to WSAD, i honestly think i would go back and dust off my main account and if they would let me change my main from warrior to summoner, god i was retarded for not chosing that T.T)

As for AA, ncsoft never hosed over the players in such a systematic and unsubtle way like trion has been doing in AA.
L2 was brutal in that loses often meant you quit the game (super rich, i still had to farm my own mats to craft..... and failed 5 Arcana Maces in a row, bye bye 11 months of work). So most of the changes made the game easier for people to play, but still had the difficulty if you wanted it.

Archage is just pure poo poo. If you want something now, credit card it.
Need archeum to craft...... (which you do), well, guess youll be buying the rng boxes for real money.

The griefing in L2 as risky as well. If you went red people would come and hunt you (reds dropped loot on death). And if you were training and something went wrong, you would die to your own train.

Griefing in Archage is abusing glitches and poorly implemented physics, there is no risk doing it and i dont see how it is fun (unless it takes a lot of people to organise and pull off.. like full blockades).

There was (maybe still is) a game in L2 if you want to play it. AA is just a money making scam. (that has some potential hidden way way down in the terrible code somewhere)

And completely off track, the best PVP i have enjoyed has been GW2. Can roll a lvl 1 and go to the battefields and still have fun, or run on your main and do some wildly stupid poo poo that manages to work (like downing on a cliff and fearing your attackers off the cliff to their death and your rebound)

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I remember once in L2 i was watching a trio of bots completely lock down a little spawn near the dwarf town. They sat down and rested at the same time after killing a spawn at the same drat intervals. I paged a GM about it and after waiting around for a while he mesaaged me saying that they were not bots. I took a swing at one and they all immediately charged after me in perfect synchronization. I kept running across the field only to notice more bots at different spawns headed in my direction as well. The bot program had a PK radar. What utter horseshit 16 year old me thought as I died to a dozen bots stabbing me in the face.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the western l2/ncsoft was absolute garbage, as far as bots were concernd. They just didn't give a poo poo. "Hey, they're paying a sub, that's good for us, right???" I wouldn't be surprised if some private servers offered a better playing experience than that, as funny as it sounds.

L2 is still stupidly popular in russia these days. Last time I logged in there, they had like 20 servers, most of them at high population, and apparently they've managed to grow since then. The game has changed pretty much completely, though. You can now fight instanced bosses and getting to a decent level doesn't take 5 years anymore, so just playing about casually doesn't also mean you don't get to participate in anything except grinding overworld.

When I first saw AA, I figured "hey, this looks kinda like an interesting l2 clone, but with a modern graphics engine, and probably not so 90s game design!". I'm just glad I never had the time for it, because I was super interested in how it'd play.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Truga posted:

... because I was super interested in how it'd play.

It had some ideas but was so woefully implemented. The woeful implementation combined with the blatant cash grab was probably the first time I haven't blamed myself for poor game buying decisions (except maybe Thief). Inside three days of playing you realised that PVP was a complete joke.

The farming/housing thing was cool until you realised that dudes were using scripts (I don't think it was much more complex than Cheat Engine) to remotely claim land. The gliding thing was good.

And then there was the goon guild... laffo.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

When I started losing plots of land to people that would drop a structure before the box ever appeared for me to drop mine, that's when I knew this game was utter trash. Despite that, I poopsocked the poo poo out of the first day and was able to get 5 plots, then later one in Auroria. The Farmville part of the game was pretty enjoyable until the Thunderstruck nerf.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I had 2 of the tiny farms and there was literally no way to progress as a land baron short of fishing for insane amounts of time per day, or just paying up.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

8x8 farms were basically good for staging trade packs and not much else.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ruffz posted:

When I started losing plots of land to people that would drop a structure before the box ever appeared for me to drop mine, that's when I knew this game was utter trash. Despite that, I poopsocked the poo poo out of the first day and was able to get 5 plots, then later one in Auroria. The Farmville part of the game was pretty enjoyable until the Thunderstruck nerf.

Gonna take the opposite stance on thunderstrucks. Whether it was a brilliant maneuver or blatant cash grab I leave up to personal interpretation, but making GBS threads thunderstrucks on the market and finally letting the proles see any part of.the game that was gated behind them was one of the best things they did for the markets.

Client side everything made sure the game was poo poo from the ground up though.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I personally hated that move and saw it as nothing but a cash grab, and they flipped the switch on it when the game started to decline. The hacking wasn't affecting me enough to make me quit at that point, but the thunderstruck nerf was another nail in the coffin in my opinion. I was planting like 60 trees at a time trying to win the lottery (I won twice) and I suddenly had no idea what to do with all my land when you could basically buy them from the cash shop. That's when I really started getting bored and lost my will to log in.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I found some Archeage refugees today in ESO.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this thread will never not be funny

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

ruffz posted:

I personally hated that move and saw it as nothing but a cash grab, and they flipped the switch on it when the game started to decline. The hacking wasn't affecting me enough to make me quit at that point, but the thunderstruck nerf was another nail in the coffin in my opinion. I was planting like 60 trees at a time trying to win the lottery (I won twice) and I suddenly had no idea what to do with all my land when you could basically buy them from the cash shop. That's when I really started getting bored and lost my will to log in.

Before the change like 90% of the thunderstrucks on the market were from bots or people hacking to plant in Auroria or the ocean. It was awful, much like everything else Archeage related.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deki posted:

Before the change like 90% of the thunderstrucks on the market were from bots or people hacking to plant in Auroria or the ocean. It was awful, much like everything else Archeage related.

yeah gently caress those guys, they ruined an otherwise perfect game

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

Did you make any real cash money out this game? That was a good thread where you explained things.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nien posted:

Did you make any real cash money out this game? That was a good thread where you explained things.

I think made more than $3000 dollars. It wasnt as much as diablo 3, but it was way easier and a lot more fun.
Most of the profit came in the opening 2 weeks and then it was mostly trying to cash out and dump resources onto the market at a rate that didnt crash it.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 26, 2015

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ruffz posted:

While not specifically the you-not-logging-in part, this was still another great benefit in my mind. Before the TS nerf if someone used client side hacking to get land (all land was from client side hacking let's be real) they didn't bother advertising a price. It was an absolutely foregone conclusion that the land was going to sell. Every thunderstruck lottery playing land baron wanted more land at all times and the tax system was dumb as gently caress so there was more profit from more land at all times. By the end of the week with the TS nerf those same land hackers were competing on price and location with their land. Through incompetent shortsighted greed they had managed to do one good thing for the economy.

Every other step they took managed to gently caress something up, but credit where due.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

SumYungGui posted:

Every other step they took managed to gently caress something up, but credit where due.

They took a piss on the part of the dumpster fire that was threatening to consume the next dumpster over? All the the dumpsters were on fire though! :shrug:

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
So is this game fun? I had tried it before but uninstalled it because I wanted an MMO i could play with my friends (but now realizing that their computers are too lovely to handle much of anything I have abandoned this idea.) I just want to chill and kill things (maybe even with Goons!!) I heard the economy can be really difficult to navigate as a newbie.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

So is this game fun? I had tried it before but uninstalled it because I wanted an MMO i could play with my friends (but now realizing that their computers are too lovely to handle much of anything I have abandoned this idea.) I just want to chill and kill things (maybe even with Goons!!) I heard the economy can be really difficult to navigate as a newbie.

Play GW2 if you want a chill game to play with your friends. AA is in a much better place right now as compared to launch, but a small group of newbies is going to have to work really hard. Also there is no goon guild. The goon guild was on aranzeb and the best things you can do is get the gently caress off aranzeb.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Fauxtool posted:

Did you miss the "It was awful, much like everything else Archeage related." part or that post?

Game sucked, thunderstrucks were not an exception.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Eltoasto posted:

Play GW2 if you want a chill game to play with your friends. AA is in a much better place right now as compared to launch, but a small group of newbies is going to have to work really hard. Also there is no goon guild. The goon guild was on aranzeb and the best things you can do is get the gently caress off aranzeb.

That's actually the one game I would recommend less than this one. If you want to go buy to play you might as well pick up ESO which is surprisingly better than expected.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
ESO is a good buy to play in my book because it's basically the place where Warhammer Online lives on in the from of Cyrodiil.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Play Unreal 2k4, Payday 2 and/or Splatoon.

There is also always the plethora of great Super Metroid romhacks (and the base game is good too).

I should turn OP into a super metroid thread someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The coolest game I've been playing lately (besides my addictive FF cellphone game) is Valdis Story. Its a super badass metroidvania style game with beautiful visuals and music and sprites.

• Locked thread