Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a phone call came in..

Was at home yesterday when an old manager called me up. He's at a new company and is looking for a t2. Have an interview this morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
A ticket came in.

quote:

Had an office move...was not in the office when the move happened
monitor and docking station was moved, but cable are now missing

I get there with a new displayport cable to find that there already is one connecting his monitor to the docking station. He claims he is missing "The phone-like cable to connect my laptop to the docking station."

I set his laptop on the docking station and the monitor still doesn't work. Turns out his HP docking station is plugged into a power adapter from a Dell D830.

So in moving to an office down the hall he forgot that the laptop goes on the docking station, and whoever moved him swapped his docking station's power supply for an old Dell one. :psyduck: I know he had an HP adapter and was using the docking station properly in his old office, because I set him up in his old office.

J
Jun 10, 2001

larchesdanrew posted:

A request came in from my supervisor.

:circlefap:

Translation: "We need to go to the basement, I'll stand there and look at you and anytime you make a motion to throw anything out I'll tell you we have to keep it. "

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in..

Was at home yesterday when an old manager called me up. He's at a new company and is looking for a t2. Have an interview this morning

I take it this is one of the good managers, not the crazy ones?

Good luck!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
A ticket didn't come in... because a backhoe working on some plumbing cut the fiber from my main office to the other buildings in our office complex :haw:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

J posted:

Translation: "We need to go to the basement, I'll stand there and look at you and anytime you make a motion to throw anything out I'll tell you we have to keep it. "

I brought this up in a joking manner. I told him rather than spend the time "cleaning it" ourselves, we should just get Hoarders to come out and shoot an episode. I made sure to mention that it would be television gold when they tried to throw out a tripod with two missing legs while he laid on the ground in a fetal position hitting himself in the head and screaming "no, no, we might need it someday!"

He didn't laugh.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

larchesdanrew posted:

I brought this up in a joking manner. I told him rather than spend the time "cleaning it" ourselves, we should just get Hoarders to come out and shoot an episode. I made sure to mention that it would be television gold when they tried to throw out a tripod with two missing legs while he laid on the ground in a fetal position hitting himself in the head and screaming "no, no, we might need it someday!"

He didn't laugh.

That's because it sounds like he actually is a hoarder, i.e. has the mental issues, and they can never see what's funny about their hoarding because to them it's critical not to get rid of that stuff because it causes anxiety.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

He didn't laugh.
dont stop

Also, re:hoarding - he didnt think it was funny because, I think, that he relaized he does have a loving problem. You are giving him good cirtical feedback.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Rent one of these to clear it out: http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/minitrack

Gealar
May 2, 2013
New request for our office due to the security breach at OPM. admin accounts are now required to use TFA on their machines by close of business tomorrow. Its going to be fun explaining what a card reader is and how to use it to 40ish people that are in office. Not to mention helping the people who did not get the notice because they are doing field stuff when they return.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I'd like to commute to work on that. It's only a little over a mile. :killdozer:

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

Sirotan posted:

lol, do not do this

namol posted:

Or you know, a real management system other than kace. SCCM, chef, etc.

I guess I've lucked out with them I've not had any trouble with mine, except once a CPU died in the box and Dell had a replacement out in 4 hours. I didn't really have a choice in the matter of buying them though. My boss just sort of ordered them one day and the first thing I knew about 'em was the boxes arriving. He does that sometimes. Two days ago he called all of IT into his office and gave each of us a Pebble Time Smartwatch.

Here's a good one from a couple years ago. The other IT guy had ... shall we say severely lax security policies. It is 'prolly worse than you're thinking. This was Dick Trauma Boss levels of idiot.
Every single user, 400+ on our mail server had the same password. Exactly the same. Everyone from the CEO to the receptionist. I know this because the receptionist showed the CEO that she could login to his E-mail. He was not impressed. He was loudly unimpressed at our boss who was severely unimpressed with the other IT guy. It fell to me to fix it. We were using a free E-mail server (a relic of a previous IT boss 'CHEAPER IS BETTER!' was his warcry) and it didn't support users changing their passwords and I had no money to change anything. So I had to go through each user, generate a better password, apply it, call them up, tell them their new password, explain that yes they need a password, no they can't share it with anyone, no, not even their co-workers, yes it is a pain in the rear end, no there will be no exceptions for password-less E-mail accounts.

Ouroborus fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 25, 2015

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Man gently caress printers

Especially printers I'm ticketed to address over rdp.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bigass Moth posted:

Yup, printers suck. Especially ones that you can't actually see or touch for yourself. ESPECIALLY when they're some lovely model that you can't even access a GUI with.

So yeah. gently caress printers.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yup, printers suck. Especially ones that you can't actually see or touch for yourself. ESPECIALLY when they're some lovely model that you can't even access a GUI with.
Those really old HP ones with the Java web interface made me wish I had a not-GUI interface

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

A ticket came in.

quote:

Please confirm there is zero reason for us to have voice edge and digital voice for the same numbers. Comcast hasn’t removed our digital voice, so in my eyes we’ve been getting double billed. I’m having them remove digital voice now.

1.) I don't have your account information, so I don't which service you're actually using.
2.) Please don't ask me to verify something for you, then start changing variables before I've even had a chance to look into it.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Dunno-Lars posted:

I take it this is one of the good managers, not the crazy ones?

Good luck!

This guy was great to work for.

I think the interview went well. Will find out in a week or so.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I created a ticket.

Open up one of the folder directories on one of our network shares and I see some new files. Named HELP_DECRYPT. Weird.

And they're in the subfolder. All the subfolders. There's a sinking feeling as I open the one of the txt's in notepad, and then I spot the word CryptoWall.

Good thing we have backups.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

MiniFoo posted:

A ticket came in.

1.) I don't have your account information, so I don't which service you're actually using.
2.) Please don't ask me to verify something for you, then start changing variables before I've even had a chance to look into it.

Eagerly awaiting next week's "why aren't x, y, and z working" followup ticket

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A ticket came in from a one of our regular product support (read: NOT Managed Services) clients:

quote:

Please tell us what the sa password is for our production SQL server environment.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

JohnnyCanuck posted:

A ticket came in from a one of our regular product support (read: NOT Managed Services) clients:

Can you put animated gifs into your ticket responses?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Can't they just run it in single user mode and assign rights to the necessary domain account(s)?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Can't they just run it in single user mode and assign rights to the necessary domain account(s)?

Probably not, because they wouldn't understand any of that sentence. They don't have an actual DBA, just a guy who understands database theory... but he's on vacation. We could remote in and show them how, but that falls so far outside of our support contract that it's in another area code. We don't want to be liable for their prod SQL server.

EDIT: Or their dev server. Or any of it unless they sign on for Managed Services.

Mo_Steel posted:

Can you put animated gifs into your ticket responses?

This is the best you're the best

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 26, 2015

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Today is the second time I'm trying to call Comcast Security Assurance because one of our clients' co-working locations had their internet service suspended due to copyright infringement or something. Last time I was on hold for over an hour before I had to give up due to my schedule. Right now I'm at 25 minutes. I also have to make three other calls today.

What's everyone's personal tolerance thresholds for this poo poo? Just curious.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
You could always call their corporate headquarters and tell them this is the xth attempt and you need someone to contact you about this issue. That normally presses the right people's buttons and things get done.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Say something snarky with @Comcast and #fails in it on twitter, you'll have multiple customer service agents trying to help you within a couple of hours (at least that's worked for me).

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Gunjin posted:

Say something snarky with @Comcast and #fails in it on twitter, you'll have multiple customer service agents trying to help you within a couple of hours (at least that's worked for me).

Our hackerspace's internet situation (Comcast refusing to pay to use the tiny spur railroad company's right-of-way after sweet-talking the building owner about how much money they can make together) only got resolved after countless venting sessions with @comcastcares tagged in.

It took seven months.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A patch lead decided to cause a NIC to go 10m half duplex

Wouldn't be arsed but it's been in place for about 2 years - wasn't the first thing I checked I must admit

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bigass Moth posted:

The past two weeks our Xerox MFP has been squeaking like a motherfucker, I've oiled and greased every single gear and piece of metal I can touch, and even called an engineer visit yesterday.

It STILL loving squeaks and I can't find what else to try, and I'm sat two meters away from it.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Gunjin posted:

I would also mention in there that you're going to create an official complaint with the FCC. Seems to have worked for at least a couple people who did it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Super Slash posted:

The past two weeks our Xerox MFP has been squeaking like a motherfucker, I've oiled and greased every single gear and piece of metal I can touch, and even called an engineer visit yesterday.

It STILL loving squeaks and I can't find what else to try, and I'm sat two meters away from it.

I said it last time and I'll say it again. Demons.

Alternatively, working as designed, my old ink ribbon printer used to do that apparently just so you knew it was doing something.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Welp, we cleaned the basement.

By "clean," I mean my supervisor just wanted everything stacked up in the corner or shoved it in a closet. For the curious, I did attempt to throw out the Performa box including the rotten box of wallpaper on top of it, but he just wasn't having that.

Apparently, the CEO and his entourage is coming Monday and, since we live in squalor the other 364 days a year, everyone is scrambling to straighten up.

At least I took the opportunity to throw away a lot more old worthless poo poo. Seriously, at one point I took my arm and literally swept an entire wall of shelves filled with dusty doodads into a garbage can.

The look of horror on supervisor's face.

To be fair, he did say that in a few weeks we'll be renting a big dumpster and doing a serious cleanout of the basement, but I'll believe that poo poo when I see it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Super Slash posted:

Graphite lube, it either stops squeaking or it stops printing because the graphite got somewhere it shouldn't have. win win IMHO.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

deimos posted:

Graphite lube, it either stops squeaking or it stops printing because the graphite got somewhere it shouldn't have. win win IMHO.

...isn't graphite flammable?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Stick another tick in the 'win' column then.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

sfwarlock posted:

...isn't graphite flammable?

Only if you mix it with a really strong oxidizer or if you find the right density of it dispersed in the air it may ignite, but generally its pretty stable.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

blackswordca posted:

Only if you mix it with a really strong oxidizer or if you find the right density of it dispersed in the air it may ignite, but generally its pretty stable.

Or you use it in a reactor and the water all boils off!

Dodgy Graphite
Jan 25, 2011

I JSUT WANTED TO BBE A MODERATOR

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Or you use it in a reactor and the water all boils off!

it wasn't my fault, for gently caress's sake

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Dodgy Graphite posted:

it wasn't my fault, for gently caress's sake

wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT