Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Palpek posted:

Wait, what part of the game made you change your mind?

There's a reason I thought it was funny and ironic that he had just barely started the Bloody Baron questline when he first posted his original thoughts, and it sounds like he's had some time to get his teeth into the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

The Var Attre girl you practiced swordplay with, or bust.

She's Nilfgaardian trash. Like the old saying goes: Northern girls get the pearls, southern belles can go to hell.

Melted_Igloo
Nov 26, 2007
Keira Metz best metz, she acts like a dumb blond and you get to both gently caress and kill her

#Team Keira

Also her gwent card is ok :)

Melted_Igloo fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 25, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Scandalous posted:

Roche romance is the only romance

I was sickened that you could not make Geralt romance Roche or any other male character in TYOOL 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Scandalous posted:

Roche romance is the only romance

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Melted_Igloo posted:

Keira Metz best metz, she acts like a dumb blond and you get to both gently caress and kill her

#Team Keira

Also her gwent card is ok :)

But if you kill her then you never get to see Lambert eat crow over the whole "Haha Geralt you're whipped by a sorceress" thing

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Finally finished it after 105 hours.

Ciri's a witcher, the Emperor crushed Redania after Radovid's assassination, Temeria is a vassal state, and Geralt and Yen hosed off to bumfuck nowhere to bone and drink themselves silly. All in all, not a bad ending.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's the exact ending I got. I was happy with it except for how Reason of State went down.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
So I'm pretty deep in the game and I can't stop wondering why do geralt and his company of sorceress and elves keep hanging out and meeting up in the ONE city that wants to kill them? They could all meet in Oxfurt, right? Where no one wants to set them all on fire?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

echronorian posted:

So I'm pretty deep in the game and I can't stop wondering why do geralt and his company of sorceress and elves keep hanging out and meeting up in the ONE city that wants to kill them? They could all meet in Oxfurt, right? Where no one wants to set them all on fire?

Oxenfurt is Radovid's capital, it is just that it doesn't have a large non-human population to be targeted and the Mages had ran out to Novigrad first.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

echronorian posted:

Oxenfurt is also occupied by the Redanian army and they need a ship to get to Skellige.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Manatee Cannon posted:

Oxenfurt is also occupied by the Redanian army and they need a ship to get to Skellige.

yeah and if the mages go off the side of the game map they just get warped right back in

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm talking well after that, when they're burning elves and you bring an elf sage which is a double whammy into the city with some time traveling elf noble.. I also don't get why Witchers which are generally disliked anyway aren't being kicked out of town or set on fire.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 26, 2015

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Turn left, Geralt, nooooooo!

Cue Geralt falling forever (or until I quit the game).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

echronorian posted:

I'm talking well after that, when they're burning elves and you bring an elf sage which is a double whammy into the city with some time traveling elf noble.. I also don't get why Witchers which are generally disliked anyway aren't being kicked out of town or set on fire.

That isn't well after that. It's moments prior. You go to Novigrad to catch a ship to Skellige and fight the Wild Hunt. The reason you're safe in Novigrad is made incredibly obvious well before then though. Djikstra is protecting you and provides you a pass into the city when they're locking down. You can't miss that.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

That isn't well after that. It's moments prior. You go to Novigrad to catch a ship to Skellige and fight the Wild Hunt. The reason you're safe in Novigrad is made incredibly obvious well before then though. Djikstra is protecting you and provides you a pass into the city when they're locking down. You can't miss that.

Ohhhhh, right. I started tuning out a bit there somewhere, thanks.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

pik_d posted:

But if you kill her then you never get to see Lambert eat crow over the whole "Haha Geralt you're whipped by a sorceress" thing

I just finished Kaer Morhen, is there more with Lambert? Seemed like kind of a crappy goodbye, seeing as he turned out to be such a bro.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I jusT finished the game as a level 35. I have to say this was a great game. I'd give it an 8/10. Ending felt a little rushed and I wish Act 3 was fleshed out more. There was a lot of characters introduced near the end game that left me wanting more backstory or explanation. Especially since I haven't read the books or played the prior games.

Felt like I had to share. Bravo. Best RPG I've played in a while.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Han Nehi posted:

I just finished Kaer Morhen, is there more with Lambert? Seemed like kind of a crappy goodbye, seeing as he turned out to be such a bro.

I'm not too far passed that either so I haven't seen any more with him, but if Metz is there and you talk to her at the pyre, she says something like "We're leaving as soon as Lambert's wounds are healed" and Lambert has a "Don't say it Geralt don't say it" look on him.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gonkish posted:

Finally finished it after 105 hours.

Ciri's a witcher, the Emperor crushed Redania after Radovid's assassination, Temeria is a vassal state, and Geralt and Yen hosed off to bumfuck nowhere to bone and drink themselves silly. All in all, not a bad ending.

same except ciri became empress. What triggers this?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vile posted:

same except ciri became empress. What triggers this?

When Ciri asks you to help her kill that Wild Hunt commander on Bald Mountain, there's a dialog option to make a quick stop in Vizima to see the Emperor. If you do this, Ciri becomes the Empress of Nilfgaard. She's not happy about it though.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Manatee Cannon posted:

When Ciri asks you to help her kill that Wild Hunt commander on Bald Mountain, there's a dialog option to make a quick stop in Vizima to see the Emperor. If you do this, Ciri becomes the Empress of Nilfgaard. She's not happy about it though.

hmm she seemed kind of happy to me? Like it wasn't the coolest thing (witchers are really cool) to do but she knew she could help lots of people. I didn't get the feeling she was becoming empress against her will.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
She treats it as sort of "I have the opportunity and must take it here" responsibility, while she'd be happier just killing monsters with her dad free from all pressure. On the other hand, I imagine Geralt and Yen or even Triss have fairly free reign to meet her and relatively sure knowledge of her whereabouts then.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ciri can literally teleport wherever she wants, whenever she wants. She can visit at any time.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Do they ever really explain the ending?

Ciri goes to confront the white frost thing, walks into it then epilogue. I spent the first part of the epilogue thinking she'd failed and that all the snow was the end of the world. What did she do, and what is the white frost? Do the books explain it at all?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

No and it actively contradicts the novels so don't go looking for explanations there. They changed some stuff for the games.

In the novels, it's Ciri's son that is supposed to stop the White Frost. How is never explained (there was no glowy ball of blizzard either) but at points in the story the White Frost is explained to be the gradual cooling of the earth over thousands of years and not some magical phenomenon so I'm not sure how he was gonna do anything about it anyway. It feels pretty tacked on to the end of the game and I'm not sure why it's there.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Manatee Cannon posted:

No and it actively contradicts the novels so don't go looking for explanations there. They changed some stuff for the games.

In the novels, it's Ciri's son that is supposed to stop the White Frost. How is never explained (there was no glowy ball of blizzard either) but at points in the story the White Frost is explained to be the gradual cooling of the earth over thousands of years and not some magical phenomenon so I'm not sure how he was gonna do anything about it anyway. It feels pretty tacked on to the end of the game and I'm not sure why it's there.

I felt the same way too. I just played the game for 100 hours and then in hour 101 we learn a ton about the white frost and how she is going to stop it? The whole ending could have, should have been 20 hours of explanation more about that. In my head I figured she in her super power ways was able to actually reverse entropy. Like, her control over space and time was strong enough she could essentially STOP time where the white frost was (physically probably everywhere, but manifested for our human senses in that white glow). So she stops the forces of entropy using a time freeze. Thereby letting all the worlds enjoy ever lasting life. I GUESS.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

GuyUpNorth posted:

She treats it as sort of "I have the opportunity and must take it here" responsibility, while she'd be happier just killing monsters with her dad free from all pressure. On the other hand, I imagine Geralt and Yen or even Triss have fairly free reign to meet her and relatively sure knowledge of her whereabouts then.

I agree. I think its actually the best ending. Ciri is not living up to her full potential by just being a witcher. And like manatee said, she can teleport. So after her fancy balls and deciding the fate of some far away place she can grab a sword and go kill some drowners for kicks with her pops

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If they'd wanted to touch on that in the ending, I think they should have made it a separate expansion and tied up the end of Ciri's story there. The White Frost just came out of nowhere and both Avellac'h and Ciri's stories ended too abruptly for my liking. Or they could have ended the Wild Hunt at Kaer Morhen and moved on to the White Frost for act 3.

edit: In regards to Ciri's fate, becoming Empress is the best outcome for the world but the worst outcome for Ciri

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 26, 2015

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Vile posted:

I agree. I think its actually the best ending. Ciri is not living up to her full potential by just being a witcher. And like manatee said, she can teleport. So after her fancy balls and deciding the fate of some far away place she can grab a sword and go kill some drowners for kicks with her pops

Ciri has also repeatedly expressed interest in people leaving her the gently caress alone, though, something she won't get as Empress of Nilfgaard - the biggest empire in the entire Continent. Being a Witcher might not let her affect the world on such a large-scale basis, but it does allow her to be more personal with the people she encounters, and I think its more emotionally stable for her. I mean like after being The Most Important Person for the past 15 odd years, I think the poor girl needs a break.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Manatee Cannon posted:

If they'd wanted to touch on that in the ending, I think they should have made it a separate expansion and tied up the end of Ciri's story there. The White Frost just came out of nowhere and both Avellac'h and Ciri's stories ended too abruptly for my liking. Or they could have ended the Wild Hunt at Kaer Morhen and moved on to the White Frost for act 3.

edit: In regards to Ciri's fate, becoming Empress is the best outcome for the world but the worst outcome for Ciri

Her dying is probably the worst outcome, really

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zakmonster posted:

Ciri has also repeatedly expressed interest in people leaving her the gently caress alone, though, something she won't get as Empress of Nilfgaard - the biggest empire in the entire Continent. Being a Witcher might not let her affect the world on such a large-scale basis, but it does allow her to be more personal with the people she encounters, and I think its more emotionally stable for her. I mean like after being The Most Important Person for the past 15 odd years, I think the poor girl needs a break.

I guess I look at it a different way. She was the MIPITW and was hunted and had her friends constantly in danger because of this. She's finally dealt with that and now she's super important but not the "all my friends could be killed by a demonic elf at any moment" kind. She can be personal as an empress, impersonal... Whatever she's empress. Plus ciri is young I this game. I think she still has lots of growing up to do. And witcher roaming monster killing may seem cool when your in your 20s but look at geralt... He seems over it. I'm really interested if there is / when there is a w4 what the canonical ending will be.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

ZearothK posted:

Oxenfurt is Radovid's capital, it is just that it doesn't have a large non-human population to be targeted and the Mages had ran out to Novigrad first.

The capital of Redania is Tretogor not Oxenfurt.

:goonsay:

But yeah Oxenfurt is a Redanian city and thus mages are outlawed. If anything Geralt & friends should be based in Skellige where mostly everyone is a chill viking bro.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Vile posted:

I guess I look at it a different way. She was the MIPITW and was hunted and had her friends constantly in danger because of this. She's finally dealt with that and now she's super important but not the "all my friends could be killed by a demonic elf at any moment" kind. She can be personal as an empress, impersonal... Whatever she's empress. Plus ciri is young I this game. I think she still has lots of growing up to do. And witcher roaming monster killing may seem cool when your in your 20s but look at geralt... He seems over it. I'm really interested if there is / when there is a w4 what the canonical ending will be.

She has the chance for some genuine authority, but she doesn't really strike me as the devious sort. Being a teleporter of unprecedented skill and a badass swordswoman gives her a leg up, but frankly it's probably only a matter of time before she winds up with a knife in her back, or enslaved by Philippa, like what happened to Saskia. Taking the throne makes her a gigantic target, and not having the colonial forces of the Aen Elle breathing down her neck at every turn doesn't really make her that much safer. Not that she couldn't or shouldn't take the throne, just that if keeping herself and her loved ones safe is high on her list of priorities, becoming the most important political figure in the world is a terrible idea.

Crigit fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 26, 2015

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Crigit posted:

She has the chance for some genuine authority, but she doesn't really strike me as the devious sort. Being an teleporter of unprecedented skill and a badass swordswoman gives her a leg up, but frankly it's probably only a matter of time before she winds up with a knife in her back, or enslaved by Philippa, like what happened to Saskia. Taking the throne makes her a gigantic target, and not having the colonial forces of the Aen Elle breathing down her neck at every turn doesn't really make her that much safer. Not that she couldn't or shouldn't take the throne, just that if keeping herself and her loved ones safe is high on her list of priorities, becoming the most important political figure in the world is a terrible idea.

My biggest disappointment was not being able to gut Phillipa, the font of almost everything bad in this trilogy.

Overall the game is a massive achievement and the only thing I can really say is I wanted more out of Act 3

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Turds in magma posted:

Her dying is probably the worst outcome, really

Might as well just restart the whole game if you get that outcome because you done goofed

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Manatee Cannon posted:

Might as well just restart the whole game if you get that outcome because you done goofed

I am doing this with zero regrets at the moment.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I decided to have a proper go at gwent tonight and I cannot loving believe I just wasted so much time trying to figure out what the gently caress you're supposed to do to win. Beat the first tutorial game fine, buy every card I see and have my deck power close to 150, and haven't beaten a game since. I pass at any point, they keep drawing cards until they win, or i keep playing and run out of cards in the first round. I've read some gwent strategies online and those are the only 2 things that happen now.

Also I think there's a serious bug with the ps4s total play time. The day I got my ps4 I played for 4 hours, did 3h yesterday and another 3 tonight - my total play time says 2 days and 11 hours. I've been shutting the game down and fully powering the ps4 off but that's almost real time from when I first put the disc in. It was on 1 day and 12h yesterday when I closed the game, and I made sure to quit the application properly but it's tracked every hour since as play time.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 26, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

I decided to have a proper go at gwent tonight and I cannot loving believe I just wasted so much time trying to figure out what the gently caress you're supposed to do to win. Beat the first tutorial game fine, buy every card I see and have my deck power close to 150, and haven't beaten a game since. I pass at any point, they keep drawing cards until they win, or i keep playing and run out of cards in the first round. I've read some gwent strategies online and those are the only 2 things that happen now.

Get spies, decoys, and medics. Use Spies to get free cards. Use decoys on spies that have been used against you to get free spies to use to get free cards. Use medics to bring cards back from the Used Garbage pile, including spies that have been used against you, getting you more free cards.

Cards in your hand are an extremely limited resource so anything that gets you more of them is basically the key to winning.

Also don't put in more unit cards than you need in your deck, especially not the really lovely ones. That just increases your chances of drawing lovely cards instead of the spies, decoys, and medics you need. Also high-stat cards. There's a reason why your unit card count in a deck has a 22-card minimum but no maximum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not sure why my Quen went nuts when hitting this guy, but it looked awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZr5XL82FYA