Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'd let it go but people who lecture America about morals and family values when they can't even keep their own vagina in check deserve all the ridicule they have coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shbobdb posted:

Now that Palin is out of the public eye and recognized as a joke by everyone except fringe crazies, I'm cool letting sleeping dogs lie. I get she's going for a Kardashians-style "famous for being famous" bit but we don't need to enable or encourage her. Say what you will about the Kardashians, they are pretty media savvy. The Palins have shown themselves time and time again . . . not to be. Let's leave 'em alone and all just agree to pretend they never existed.

This is why I'm sorta shocked that this is even news. Who cares about the Palins anymore?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Shbobdb posted:

Now that Palin is out of the public eye and recognized as a joke by everyone except fringe crazies, I'm cool letting sleeping dogs lie. I get she's going for a Kardashians-style "famous for being famous" bit but we don't need to enable or encourage her. Say what you will about the Kardashians, they are pretty media savvy. The Palins have shown themselves time and time again . . . not to be. Let's leave 'em alone and all just agree to pretend they never existed.

No gently caress that logic.
Individuals, families or groups that made a living saying you should do one thing, and then completely do the other deserve to be highlighted and ridiculed to stop them trying to preach/scam poo poo again.

Josh Duggar and Hassert are two perfect recent examples of this.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

happyhippy posted:

There must be a lot of frat houses nervous tonight awaiting which one was the grounds of the holy seed.

There aren't a lot of frat houses in Alaska.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

site posted:

This is why I'm sorta shocked that this is even news. Who cares about the Palins anymore?

The beltway still thinks she's relevent. Maybe when Sarah ages a bit more and her "sassy spitfire" image is replaced by "bitter, partisan old woman" they'll let it go.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

beatlegs posted:

The beltway still thinks she's relevent. Maybe when Sarah ages a bit more and her "sassy spitfire" image is replaced by "bitter, partisan old woman" they'll let it go.

Bummer. Was figuring with the mental collapse and getting kicked off Fox (granted, that wasn't too long ago) she'd be history.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm fine naming and shaming while they are in the public eye. It's a delicate balance, I'll agree, but after a while the "name and shame" aspect is all that keeps them in the news. That's the whole "famous for being famous" thing. Personally, I think the Palins have crossed that line.

Plus, there are nuances. Hassert is a loving hypocrite because what Hassert didn't practice what he preached. He deserved that downfall. The Dugger parents and their social network actively hid abuse (and then, hilariously, normalized it by saying that they know plenty of other families with similar struggles!!!) while the particular Dugger in question was working at a major right-wing think tank.

If Sarah Palin stepped out on her marriage or :downs: actively hid her daughter having a child by pretending it was her own :downs: then totally name and shame.

Bristol has certainly tried to user her mother's wingnut welfare stream to make it a family business but it never really took off. I can't blame her for trying, in her situation I can't say I wouldn't do the same. But we've all seen how unstable Sarah Palin can be, and her husband is even crazier than she is. Given that, I'd say Bristol is a product of an unstable environment. She didn't choose the family she was born to. No need to name and shame her to get back at her mother.

To a large extent, that is just rural girls being girls and rural boys being boys. If you stigmatize sexual education in a machismo environment where "potency" matters, there is gonna be a lot of unplanned pregnancies. In Bristol's case, I imagine it is even harder since there are plenty of people looking to have their 15 minutes of fame, as if dating as a single mom wasn't hard enough.

Blame the each of the Duggers for what they did (so blame the son for molesting multiple loving people and blame the parents for covering it up). Blame Hassert for what Hassert did. You can blame Bristol for having children out of wedlock, if that is your thing. But outside of some crazy conspiracy theories, Sarah Palin hasn't tried to cover up Bristol's children and by all accounts has been very welcoming of them. You can say she is a bad mother, but line of argument is similar enough to some hyper patriarchal arguments that I'm not really comfortable with.

"If a woman can't manage her house, how can you expect her to manage a country!" relies on a lot of sexist baggage in a way that "How can you oppose homosexuality because of slippery slope arguments like condoning child molestation and/or incest when you either practiced (or covered for) people actively engaging in child molestation and/or incest (involving children)!"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Shbobdb is the father!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.salon.com/2015/06/25/bill_oreilly_loses_his_sht_over_claims_racism_still_exists_you_want_a_war_you_got_a_war/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGLQy7-6ke0

He's definitely back to normal.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Right now all Megyn Kelly is doing is playing Gruber clips and sadly not Mcgruber

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

happyhippy posted:

Shbobdb is the father!

It's a tale as old as time. Scrapping rogue hooks up with troubled heiress. Heiress's family doesn't approve. Scrapping rogue gets her pregnant and gets tied to the family fortune forever. After that, it goes one of two ways, the scrapping rogue either gets a sweet sinecure position far away from the heiress and the family shame gets downplayed or the heiress dies in a mysterious accident and the scrapping rogue gets a nice cash settlement to disappear forever.

I still feel bad for Tila. An adopted kid and a not-legally-recognized marriage doesn't make for a solid case. She was so close to all that Johnson family money and she dropped the ball.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

:siren: THE REAL RACISTS :siren:

Will he ever upgrade from Geocities?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Lmao, cmon even O'Reilly has to see the obvious when he's got graphics saying "isnt it weird how we're the only people who arent racists?"

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Smoothrich posted:

CNN is more accurate than you are. Regular middle class kids from the West join ISIS because of the "Jihad Cool" messaging or whatever its called. They think its hardcore gangster poo poo. ISIS parodies GTA and CoD for a reason.

For traditional Arab audiences, they have a classy Islam magazine for jihad propaganda. The videos are for a different demographic. They are very robust.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jihad_Cool

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dabiq_(magazine)

Thank you, Smoothrich. I appreciate your post.

TVs Patrick Duffy
Dec 12, 2006
Pick something difficult. You know, hard to mock or whatever.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Said no one ever

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So when the scotus gay marriage bomb finally hits. How many of these bigoted assclowns who talked about how they would light themselves on fire and or start a rebellion against the evil "Big Gay, how many will actualy go through with it?

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is a pretty decent VICE piece on ISIS recruits from Canada, which reminds me a lot of here in Minnesota, where Somalian immigrants are by far the majority of Americans going overseas to join ISIS and other stupid crap. Over in the Middle East its a whole different ballgame of hardened militias and Sunni tribes etc with real political grievances, but these bastards are using gang-type tactics to appeal to young impressionable suckers and I guess strap suicide bombs on them for the first wave of assaults as disposable grunts, a real waste of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjXYRwhpSzE

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Bristol Palin, paid $200k to speak about abstinence ("It Just Works") is pregnant out of wedlock....again....

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Bristol Palin, paid $200k to speak about abstinence ("It Just Works") is pregnant out of wedlock....again....

Haha. Blame whoever paid her that money, not her. Hard to be a real hypocrite when people are paying some random reality tv star a quarter million bucks to read some pseudoscientific trash, who wouldn't for that much.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So when the scotus gay marriage bomb finally hits. How many of these bigoted assclowns who talked about how they would light themselves on fire and or start a rebellion against the evil "Big Gay, how many will actualy go through with it?

None, remember Hannity is still supposed to voluntarily get water boarded to prove it's not torture.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Smoothrich posted:

Haha. Blame whoever paid her that money, not her. Hard to be a real hypocrite when people are paying some random reality tv star a quarter million bucks to read some pseudoscientific trash, who wouldn't for that much.

No, I'm going to blame both considering the Tea Party still pushes the Palin's as a "Family Values" candidate.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
In an alternate universe, the baby was conceived on the oval office's table.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I like how he bitches about how "BLACK PEOPLE KILL EACH OTHER ALL THE TIME LIKE IN DETROIT AND NO ONE CARES!". Yeah, Bill, buddy, you just kind of proved the point that there is a systemic issue in this country regarding the value placed on black American lives.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

(in response to this)

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

happyhippy posted:

In an alternate universe, the baby was conceived on the oval office's table.

Bristol Palin conceived that child in sexual relations caused by loving America too much.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Von Sloneker posted:

(in response to this)

Goodness. Everyone on the right is so testy today.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

beatlegs posted:

Goodness. Everyone on the right is so testy today.

Well, their racist flags got taken away.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

AsInHowe posted:

Well, their racist flags got taken away.

Taken away*

*Voluntarily removed from sale by private retailers and/or removed by a democratic decision of Republican state houses

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I originally read this as "Scouts gay marriage bomb" and was expecting their to be a big change in that.

But really, with the confederate flag thing, the Obamacare ruling, and the impending gay marriage, conservatives must be ready to blow.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/larry-wilmore-superimposes-himself-into-oreillys-shoutfest-with-kirsten-powers/

Ok that's pretty funny of Wilmore to do. Too bad we won't get a response from O'Reilly.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Megyn Kelly is interviewing Donald Trump about Univision and it is one of the funniest things I have seen on television. I think Fox is trying to position Donald Trump as a legitimate presidential frontrunner? :allears:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Azuth0667 posted:

None, remember Hannity is still supposed to voluntarily get water boarded to prove it's not torture.

That's actually slightly different. I can't remember who did it but some talking head did in fact let himself get waterboarded. He wanted to last five minutes to prove it wasn't torture but lasted like 90 seconds or so and then completely flipped his opinion. He was like "dear gently caress that was awful" and quit talking like it wasn't so bad. Did Hannity stop claiming it wasn't torture after that? Because there was a sudden decline in claiming it wasn't so bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's actually slightly different. I can't remember who did it but some talking head did in fact let himself get waterboarded. He wanted to last five minutes to prove it wasn't torture but lasted like 90 seconds or so and then completely flipped his opinion. He was like "dear gently caress that was awful" and quit talking like it wasn't so bad. Did Hannity stop claiming it wasn't torture after that? Because there was a sudden decline in claiming it wasn't so bad.

Christoper Hitchens.
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2008/08/hitchens200808

quote:

Also, in case it’s of interest, I have since woken up trying to push the bedcovers off my face, and if I do anything that makes me short of breath I find myself clawing at the air with a horrible sensation of smothering and claustrophobia. No doubt this will pass. As if detecting my misery and shame, one of my interrogators comfortingly said, “Any time is a long time when you’re breathing water.” I could have hugged him for saying so, and just then I was hit with a ghastly sense of the sadomasochistic dimension that underlies the relationship between the torturer and the tortured. I apply the Abraham Lincoln test for moral casuistry: “If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong.” Well, then, if waterboarding does not constitute torture, then there is no such thing as torture.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That was Hitchens.

Hannity said he would do the same thing to prove it wasn't torture, but never did because he's a chickenshit internet tough guy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

StandardVC10 posted:

Taken away*

*Voluntarily removed from sale by private retailers and/or removed by a democratic decision of Republican state houses

A Democrat decision, you say?

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

Venusian Weasel posted:

That was Hitchens.

Hannity said he would do the same thing to prove it wasn't torture, but never did because he's a chickenshit internet tough guy.

"Kickstarter to challenge torture apologist bullshitters to take the plunge" needs to be a thing.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Venusian Weasel posted:

That was Hitchens.

Wasn't there some right wing talk radio guy that said it wasn't torture, got waterboarded, and legitimately did immediately reverse and apologized for saying it wasn't?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Idran posted:

Wasn't there some right wing talk radio guy that said it wasn't torture, got waterboarded, and legitimately did immediately reverse and apologized for saying it wasn't?

Mancow. And he probably faked it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I know Mancow and one of the New Atheists (I want to say Hitchens?) got waterboarded and did a 100% flip from "not torture" to "Holy poo poo, that is clearly and unambiguously torture. WOW. That is hosed up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
You could get every single one of Hannity's guest to ask him why he's too scared to go through with it and he'd never give in. Dude has no concept of integrity and his audience needs for him to project that so they can follow suit.