Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Torrannor posted:

Wow, you must really hate Finland to give the rest of the historically Finnish lands to Norway. At least you didn't give it to the Swedes for the biggest insult.
No NATO, no land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's not nearly as realistic as mine.

I don't know my russian geography very well but am I right in thinking "Victory Lake" is Moscow?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Peanut President posted:

I don't know my russian geography very well but am I right in thinking "Victory Lake" is Moscow?
Must be it. Slightly off Moscow, I think, but there aren't any distinct lakes that distinct in that area.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

kalstrams posted:

Must be it. Slightly off Moscow, I think, but there aren't any distinct lakes that distinct in that area.
You're right! Guess the base map I used had Moscow in the wrong place, it should basically be moved so its southern edge is where its northern edge is currently. I suppose it's only appropriate that a politically loaded map has some major thing like that placed in the wrong spot though.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Larry Hogan's missing something in this map of where money is going in MD, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Apparently it was quickly taken down from whatever site it was published on

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 26, 2015

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Plinkey posted:

Larry Hogan's missing something in this map of where money is going in MD, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Am I stupid for not getting this one? Or would it make sense if the text were actually legible (it's a blurry mess on my screen at least).

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Plinkey posted:

And for those of us who aren't Marylanders?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You don't have to be a Marylander to realize Baltimore is missing. My thought process was basically:

1. It has to be black people not getting money.
2. Hey, isn't Baltimore in Maryland? That city is full of black people.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Baltimore City is that nicely carved out spot in the middle. AKA getting no money. Also killed a mass transit project today that was getting ~900 mill in federal grants instead moving it to the counties near DC which are much richer and whiter.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-hogan-transportation-20150624-story.html#page=1

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Plinkey posted:

Baltimore City is that nicely carved out spot in the middle. AKA getting no money. Also killed a mass transit project today that was getting ~900 mill in federal grants instead moving it to the counties near DC which are much richer and whiter.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-hogan-transportation-20150624-story.html#page=1

Ah, thank you. I saw the cutout for DC but not the one for Baltimore.

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, that's a Kinsley gaffe if I've ever seen one

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't know man, that's way more then a hundred war score even with a coalition war and the late game discounts from administrative efficiency.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

I don't know man, that's way more then a hundred war score even with a coalition war and the late game discounts from administrative efficiency.

They probably used the "Dismantle Empire" wargoal.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You don't have to be a Marylander to realize Baltimore is missing. My thought process was basically:

1. It has to be black people not getting money.
2. Hey, isn't Baltimore in Maryland? That city is full of black people.

An even easier deduction would be: American goon -> post probably involves race somehow

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

An even easier deduction would be: American goon -> post probably involves race somehow
I don't know, it could also be the start of a White Castle/Five Guys discussion, or a discussion of whether Baltimore was part of the Midwest or not.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Do you guys use tools to make simple maps like this? I could do it in photoshop or something but I feel it would be a hassle and ugly.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Count Roland posted:

Do you guys use tools to make simple maps like this? I could do it in photoshop or something but I feel it would be a hassle and ugly.

ArcGIS?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Count Roland posted:

I generally use Illustrator, as I did in that map.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't know, it could also be the start of a White Castle/Five Guys discussion, or a discussion of whether Baltimore was part of the Midwest or not.

"This is where people say soda...and this is where people say pop. Thus exemplifying the incredible linguistic and cultural diversity of the United States."

And then the European posters cut in with a discussion about Roma or municipal borders.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Phlegmish posted:

"This is where people say soda...and this is where people say pop. Thus exemplifying the incredible linguistic and cultural diversity of the United States."

And then the European posters cut in with a discussion about Roma or municipal borders.

More likely a insightful discussion on how Walloon and Flemish are two different races, the same way black/white/hispanic/asian/etc. is in the US.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

"There is no racism in *insert country that isn't the USA here*, that is purely a problem for Americans and their population of animalistic, banana-loving apes roaming free in their cities"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

More likely a insightful discussion on how Walloon and Flemish are two different races, the same way black/white/hispanic/asian/etc. is in the US.

*adjusts glasses and points to chart* As you can see from this phrenological comparison, Walloons clearly belong to the underdeveloped alpine race.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The Irish Times (Oct 28, 2005) posted:

Belgium's history of linguistic bickering between Flemings and Walloons entered a new phase this week when police arrested a Flemish woman for calling her Walloon husband lazy, Belgian media said yesterday.

The 48-year-old husband filed a complaint for racism against his spouse for scratching him and calling him "a lazy Walloon, a slave and an inferior creature," De Standaard daily said.

The 47-year-old woman was due to appear before a magistrate later yesterday to face charges of racism, the newspaper said.

Dutch-speaking Flemings and French-speaking Walloons are not only linguistically divided but also split socio-economically between a prosperous Flanders and a poorer Wallonia.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Europeans are fuckin wild

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

But D.C. isn't a state!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

PittTheElder posted:

But D.C. isn't a state!

Neither is Kentucky or Virginia (They're Commonwealths *pushes up glasses*)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Want to see what this looks like in 20 years time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Does anyone have the split map where the country colors make up the LGBT flag? I thought it would be trivial to find again but nope.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Peanut President posted:

Neither is Kentucky or Virginia (They're Commonwealths *pushes up glasses*)
Don't forget Massachusetts and Pennsylvania. *takes your glasses and pushes them up even higher*

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
Today I talk about Doggerland, an ancient European habitat lost to climate change.

---

The North Sea is home to many oil deposits and fertile breeding waters for many species of fish -- the latter is especially true in the area now known as the Dogger Bank in the southern North Sea. The entire sea is relatively shallow; it is not truly oceanic but rather a part of the European continental shelf. As you can see in the bathymetry map below, much of the southern North Sea is less than 50 meters deep, with the Dogger Bank being less than 20 meters deep at parts.

Starting in the early 20th century, fishing trawlers have recovered strange items from the sea floor. These include mammoth bones and prehistoric human tools. As early as 1913, Reid hypothesized that the southern North Sea was once above sea level, allowing for people, wildlife, and vegetation to migrate back and forth from the British Isles to continental Europe. However, the difficulty of reaching archeaological sites that are submerged not only under dozens of meters of water but also obscured by the sandy sea floor has delayed research on the topic until the last few decades.

Our story takes us back to the end of the last ice age. The Earth constantly goes through a series of natural orbital cycles that change the amount and distribution of solar radiation it receives. These cycles have periods of tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of years. The last ice age occurred from about 90,000 years ago to 11,000 years ago. The map below shows the extent of maximum glaciation in the last ice age (~25,000 to 20,000 years ago.) During an ice age, much of the water that would normally be found in the ocean is instead stuck over land as deep glacial ice. This has the tendency to lower sea levels worldwide.

The Earth eventually warmed back up and the ice sheets started retreating. Prehistoric Europeans of the last ice age were mainly found in cave shelters of Spain, southern France, Italy, and the Balkans. As the glaciers and tundra retreated northward, wildlife and humans started filling in the gaps. The North Sea originally was no sea at all, as we can see below. The English Channel was a large river combining the flows of the Thames, Rhine, Meuse, and Seine, which emptied directly into the Atlantic Ocean. Most of the other British rivers emptied into the Norwegian Trench.

As the sea level slowly rose from the melting glaciers, the low-lying Doggerland started to flood. By 8,000 B.C., the Doggerland is hypothesized to have been an ideal habitat for mesolithic humans; the broad low-lying plains could support large mammal populations, and the increasingly coastal nature of the area provided fish and other marine resources for hunter-gatherers. Large forests covered the interior of the region. While the population density of mesolithic Europe was close to 0.05 to 0.10 people per square kilometer, Doggerland could have supported up to 1 person per square kilometer. However, by 6,000 B.C., sea level rise would have isolated Britain from the mainland, and Doggerland was reduced to Dogger Island plus some other minor islands.

Around the same time, in North America, the glaciers of the Laurentian Ice Sheet had also been retreating for a while. There, the geography of the continent was such that a very large lake formed at the border of the ice sheet. At its maximum, Lake Agassiz (in black on the map below) reached a maximum area of 841,000 km^2 (slightly smaller than Pakistan) and a maximum volume of 163,000 km^3 (enough to cover the land area of Australia with 20 meters of water.) By 6,200 B.C., the Laurentian Ice Sheet had backed over Hudson Bay and become so thin it couldn't hold back the waters of Lake Agassiz anymore. The freshwater spilled out into the North Atlantic, raised global sea levels by about 45 centimeters within the year. More importantly, the release of so much freshwater into the North Atlantic severely weakened the thermohaline circulation of the ocean basin, leading to 200 years of below-normal temperatures for northern Europe. This is the so-called 8.2-kiloyear event in the climate record.

Today, the Barnes Ice Cap on Baffin Island is the only remnant of the Laurentian Ice Sheet. Several lakes, including Lake Winnipeg, Lake Manitoba, and the Lake of the Woods, are remnants of old Lake Agassiz.

As if this wasn't enough, around the same time, a large submarine landslide occurred to the west of Norway. This landslide triggered a large tsunami that affected coastal areas of the British Isles, Scandinavia, and of course, Doggerland. Although Dogger Island likely was not submerged permanently due to the tsunami (the rising sea level would take care of that on its own), it was the final nail in the coffin for mesolithic humans still inhabiting the Doggerland. A recent hypothesis for the landslide is the catastrophic release of methane gas by methane hydrates trapped in permafrost. One cubic meter of methane hydrate expands to 164 cubic meters of methane. This is one of the dangers of the current anthropogenic climate change phase, though it is much more likely to occur in places like Siberia today.

In any case, by 5,000 B.C., Doggerland was no more. This was the last time the geography of the North Sea changed at this scale and magnitude. Nevertheless, since then we have seen other islands disappear along the southern North Sea: most of Verdronken Land van Reimerswaal in the Netherlands vanished in a storm in 1532 A.D., while the remaining part of the island survived into the 16th century; the island of Strand, Germany was eroded by storm surges before finally succumbing to a flood in 1634; Jordsand, Denmark followed a similar track, disappearing in 1999. Not all change has been negative, though. The Dutch have successfully reclaimed large sections of the North Sea by building a large system of dikes along the coast.

Some sources:

The mesolithic landscape of the southern North Sea

Examining the progression and termination of Lake Agassiz

Changes in the Bathymetry and Volume of Glacial Lake Agassiz between 9200 and 7700 14C yr B.P.

The catastrophic final flooding of Doggerland by the Storegga Slide tsunami

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

mobby_6kl posted:

Does anyone have the split map where the country colors make up the LGBT flag? I thought it would be trivial to find again but nope.

This one?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Guavanaut posted:

A tad more in Europe and South America but that's pretty much it.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Another super rad post. Keep em coming dude!

quote:

The Earth eventually warmed back up and the ice sheets started retreating. Prehistoric Europeans of the last ice age were mainly found in cave shelters of Spain, southern France, Italy, and the Balkans.
Interesting how the borders of civilized Europe persist through the ages. :spain::respek::france::respek::italy::respek::tito: (inb4 "that is where you can still find prehistoric men in Europe")

Dogger Island would probably have ended up another viking country, can't have enough of those around.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sbaldrick posted:

Don't think Australia will go all the way?

Would be nice to have that back. Seasteading location maybe? :haw:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Guavanaut posted:

I forgot about Australia, but yes maybe they will go all the way if only because of the shame.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Guavanaut posted:

This can't be right, the Irish legalized SSM in a referendum recently.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Guavanaut posted:

When one of their state-level entities was about to legalize same sex marriage, their federal government banned it countrywide, and they've recently re-elected another government that still opposes.

It's entirely likely that they'll keep having spiteful assholes in power for some time to come.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Torrannor posted:

This can't be right, the Irish legalized SSM in a referendum recently.
Yeah, deep yellow is "intends to legalize". The hand of the government has been directed, but the paperwork hasn't been filed, as I understand it.

The government can't legally renege at this point (without a massive constitutional shitstorm), but two guys or two women can't walk into an office and get a marriage certificate yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

sbaldrick posted:

Japan maybe :allears: :japan:. I think the city of Tokyo legalized gay marriage to the greatest extent they were able.