Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Guavanaut posted:

Every time there's an antinatalism debate, someone will come out with the "if life is so much suffering, why don't you kill yourself :smugbert:" argument. I've never heard anyone argue "if life is so much suffering, why don't you kill as many people as possible and then kill yourself." They're both about as logically consistent (they're not, because the harms inflicted on those around you from ending lives are incomparable to any that might exist from not creating them) but I always hear the first and never the second.

(p.s. don't do a spree killing)

The argument that one shouldn't have children because suffering exists is rarely advanced by any coherent and fallacy free syllogism. Instead the argument serves as a proxy for a different argument (whether suffering is good, bad, or neither, or about what quantities of suffering are acceptable, how much suffering is there, etc.) or else is larded with implicit appeals to emotion. See, for example, OwlFancier's posts in this thread. "Why don't you kill yourself if life is so miserable" is a perfectly reasonable response to such weak reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It really just comes down to your outlook on life. Do you think your existence is such a good thing that you want to bring another person into existence (without their 'consent')?

DismemberedLemon
Jun 20, 2015

McDowell posted:

It really just comes down to your outlook on life. Do you think your existence is such a good thing that you want to bring another person into existence (without their 'consent')?

Why put consent inside apostrophes? We know what consent is and they are unable to give it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

McDowell posted:

That makes me wonder how Buddhists feel about having children.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If you don't want kids, you are Literally Hitler since why wouldn't you agree with the Holocaust?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zikjvst5uW4

There should be a Rust Cohle emote

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

Every time there's an antinatalism debate, someone will come out with the "if life is so much suffering, why don't you kill yourself :smugbert:" argument. I've never heard anyone argue "if life is so much suffering, why don't you kill as many people as possible and then kill yourself." They're both about as logically consistent (they're not, because the harms inflicted on those around you from ending lives are incomparable to any that might exist from not creating them) but I always hear the first and never the second.

(p.s. don't do a spree killing)

What if someone only got halfway through your post :ohdear:

Kids are cool and useful and funny, but I don't have any, because I lack the land and patience for them. Also mending fences is a pain. I assume you meant this:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EvilGenius posted:

That a child born into western civilisation inflicts suffering by consuming resources is the fault of the founders of that civilisation and those in charge of keeping it that way. It's not the fault of people that decide to have children, and it's not fair that they should even have to consider that when they decided to fulfil the most basic biological function. Again, by your own logic YOU are causing the same suffering, have the choice to end your own life, yet you don't. People who decide to have children don't need to justify their decision, any more than your decision to keep yourself alive.

It is of course entirely possible that a child will develop a condition that would cause it to suffer. But that is less likely now than it has ever been in history. Are you proposing we wait until we cure all disease, and bring about world peace before we can ethically reproduce?

Oh well as long as you can blame it on dead people that of course absolves you of all responsibility. You can choose not to perpetuate that problem, but it's not your fault, so you don't have to, because it might get in the way of your desire to have a kid.

And of course I have to justify my own existence, everyone does. It is debatable whether the desire your peers have for you to keep living justifies the damage you cause by your existence, but you can certainly make a good attempt at justifying your own existence on the basis that your peers depend on you in some way, that you may have a material debt to repay to the people and society that raised you, that it is possible for you to contribute positive things to the world instead of simply consuming and destroying. And of course it's very difficult to rationalize killing yourself so I can hardly expect everyone to do that. And further, it isn't necessary, because you will die shortly anyway. The real damage you can do is continuing the cycle by reproducing, inflicting the same problems and the same dichotomies on your children. I'm fine with living because I'm going to die in less than sixty years and nobody will succeed me, so it's largely six and two threes whether I die earlier or not. Besides I owe things to people and I should repay them before I die.

None of that, however, applies to the creation of a child. A child not born doesn't have attachments to others, it doesn't have a debt to repay, it will not necessarily contribute positively to the world. It has no reason to exist. There is a world of difference both practically and ethically between preserving an existing life and creating a new one.

Where do you get the idea that having children is some divinely mandated thing that everyone on the planet should be able to do without any thought at all? We shouldn't think about our child's, our society's, or our species' wellbeing because that might mean we need to make difficult choices, and that's just not fair.

Whether you think it's fair or not the choice rests with you, and you absolutely have to make it. Or you can stick you fingers in your ears and say la la la I shouldn't have to think about this I'm just going to have kids. Whatever.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 25, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

DismemberedLemon posted:

For me, the answer to why I'm not having kids, is that I can't find it moral or ethical to bring a child into this world while there are so many needing adoption. But that's just my reasons, have a kid if you want. Have 10 or 20. as long as you care for and raise each of them, oh well :shrug:

Most people aren't ethical or disciplined enough to love an adopted child unconditionally. They might think that they are, but when that darling Haitian baby gets bigger and starts getting suspended from school for smoking weed, they're going to try to give it back.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Because everything else is just as meaningless as posting on a forum.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

OwlFancier posted:

Oh well as long as you can blame it on dead people that of course absolves you of all responsibility. You can choose not to perpetuate that problem, but it's not your fault, so you don't have to, because it might get in the way of your desire to have a kid.

And of course I have to justify my own existence, everyone does. It is debatable whether the desire your peers have for you to keep living justifies the damage you cause by your existence, but you can certainly make a good attempt at justifying your own existence on the basis that your peers depend on you in some way, that you may have a material debt to repay to the people and society that raised you, that it is possible for you to contribute positive things to the world instead of simply consuming and destroying. And of course it's very difficult to rationalize killing yourself so I can hardly expect everyone to do that. And further, it isn't necessary, because you will die shortly anyway. The real damage you can do is continuing the cycle by reproducing, inflicting the same problems and the same dichotomies on your children. I'm fine with living because I'm going to die in less than sixty years and nobody will succeed me, so it's largely six and two threes whether I die earlier or not. Besides I owe things to people and I should repay them before I die.

None of that, however, applies to the creation of a child. A child not born doesn't have attachments to others, it doesn't have a debt to repay, it will not necessarily contribute positively to the world. It has no reason to exist. There is a world of difference both practically and ethically between preserving an existing life and creating a new one.

Where do you get the idea that having children is some divinely mandated thing that everyone on the planet should be able to do without any thought at all? We shouldn't think about our child's, our society's, or our species' wellbeing because that might mean we need to make difficult choices, and that's just not fair.

Whether you think it's fair or not the choice rests with you, and you absolutely have to make it. Or you can stick you fingers in your ears and say la la la I shouldn't have to think about this I'm just going to have kids. Whatever.

I'm not evoking divinity. I actually couldn't give a poo poo if someone decides to have a child or not. But not having one because society will suffer is a contradiction, because society is made up of humans who reproduce.

Indulge me in a thought experiment - there are 6 billion humans in the world, and they are all incapable of reproduction, but live forever. After 70 years, you are allowed to leave Earth, or stay. What's the moral choice? Stay and try to fix what's wrong with it, or leave and stop consuming resources?

Either choice will prevent suffering, however the latter at best reduces resource that could potentially fix problems, at worst leaves no one left on Earth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If everyone was immortal but infertile I don't think the world would be remotely like it is at the moment, so the thought experiment doesn't make sense.

In the unlikely event that people stop having children enough that we reduce the human population significantly, voluntarily, with a minimum of disorder and destruction, we would be in a better position to make the world a more pleasant place for children to live in. Certainly the issue is open for discussion, but at the moment I don't really see a compelling argument for why the world really needs you to have a child, or why not having one wouldn't be an overall improvement.

Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay
I was visited by an angel in a dream and told that my offspring will be the saviors of the universe, so now I'm ethically obligated to have children. But whatever floats your boat, OP.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

If everyone was immortal but infertile I don't think the world would be remotely like it is at the moment, so the thought experiment doesn't make sense.

Yeah biology and evolution are driven forward by mortality (the ever-turning gears of capitalism mimic this process of constant creation and destruction)- the only living things that don't have senescence are very simple.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
My mom pees a little every time she sneezes or laughs. She was very honest with me and my sister growing up about what pregnancy and childbirth does to your body - it can go beyond just adding a few extra pounds and stretch marks (google "rectocele" or "cystocele" if you're feeling brave). Not to mention how it fucks up your hormones long after you give birth.

I feel like people don't talk about how pregnancy can mess with a woman because they're worried it'll discourage them from having kids. It's selfish, but that's definitely one of the reasons I don't want kids.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

My mom pees a little every time she sneezes or laughs. She was very honest with me and my sister growing up about what pregnancy and childbirth does to your body - it can go beyond just adding a few extra pounds and stretch marks (google "rectocele" or "cystocele" if you're feeling brave). Not to mention how it fucks up your hormones long after you give birth.

I feel like people don't talk about how pregnancy can mess with a woman because they're worried it'll discourage them from having kids. It's selfish, but that's definitely one of the reasons I don't want kids.

I don't think it's that so much as a general distaste about talking about women's bodily functions in general. Also maybe men's bodily functions too - I don't want to be sexist - it just seems like women have to go through a lot more processes that elicit negative reactions like menstruation, pregnancy related stuff, menopause etc.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

EB Nulshit posted:

I feel like, I will be able to do so many cool things if I avoid having kids. But most people have them. And probably wanted to have them before they had them.

Why have 'em? Seriously.

I had a strong biological urge which was satisfied by two offspring.

They are cute and make your life feel better.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You do have a far stupider reproductive system than men do, yes. Worst we get is the occasional cancerous bollock. It's not really sexist to suggest that women get the worse end of the stick when it comes to unpleasant things happening to their reproductive organs.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

You do have a far stupider reproductive system than men do, yes. Worst we get is the occasional cancerous bollock. It's not really sexist to suggest that women get the worse end of the stick when it comes to unpleasant things happening to their reproductive organs.

It was more that women have a more negative social response to it that I worried might be sexist, I didn't want to downplay how hard it can be for men having issues with their nether regions and no one wanting to talk about it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Why is this selfish? It's your body.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hookerbot 5000 posted:

It was more that women have a more negative social response to it that I worried might be sexist, I didn't want to downplay how hard it can be for men having issues with their nether regions and no one wanting to talk about it.

Even then I'd still say it's pretty fair to say that. I mean I don't think there's anything my junk is supposed to do that the general social response to is "oh god that's the grossest thing ever" whereas the same can't be said for women.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I don't think it's that so much as a general distaste about talking about women's bodily functions in general. Also maybe men's bodily functions too - I don't want to be sexist - it just seems like women have to go through a lot more processes that elicit negative reactions like menstruation, pregnancy related stuff, menopause etc.
One of the stupidest things to come out of the (often religiously/culturally motivated) fear/discomfort around women's bodies is that we've had the ability to reduce or eliminate a lot of the bad stuff that can result from menstruation for decades, but there is strong evidence that John Rock (a devout Roman Catholic and one of the inventors of the birth control pill) artificially put a fake period back into it because he believed that making it more 'natural' or rhythmic would get the Pope on board. The Pope didn't buy it and we now know that menstruation itself carries elevated risks of reproductive cancers, and yet the cultural inertia around the 'monthly cycle' is big enough that we're still doing the 3 weeks/1 week thing for the pill.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Even then I'd still say it's pretty fair to say that. I mean I don't think there's anything my junk is supposed to do that the general social response to is "oh god that's the grossest thing ever" whereas the same can't be said for women.

I'm struggling to see how menses is more gross than ejaculate but yeah, it's treated very differently.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Solkanar512 posted:

Why is this selfish? It's your body.

You ever told someone you don't want to have kids because you don't want to mess with your body? Some people get really upset.

An example: There were rumors that Beyonce used a surrogate because she didn't want to lose her figure, and people were pissed off at her, calling her selfish, saying she didn't deserve to have kids, etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anosmoman posted:

I'm struggling to see how menses is more gross than ejaculate but yeah, it's treated very differently.

Well it isn't, strictly, but that's sort of the point. I have to try quite hard to make my dick socially unacceptable.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

PUGGERNAUT posted:

You ever told someone you don't want to have kids because you don't want to mess with your body? Some people get really upset.

An example: There were rumors that Beyonce used a surrogate because she didn't want to lose her figure, and people were pissed off at her, calling her selfish, saying she didn't deserve to have kids, etc.

After high school, a girl I was vaguely acquainted with ending up having a baby about ten months after graduation. She complained to me that she could habitually peel off sections of her gums. Something about the pregnancy screwed with her gums, lending a lot of credence to the old wive's tale that for every child you bear, you lose one tooth. Also, she was a nurse, and explained perineum tears over Christmas dinner, much to everyone's disgust.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Well it isn't, strictly, but that's sort of the point. I have to try quite hard to make my dick socially unacceptable.
You could do it right now if you had a digital camera.

(This is a statement, not a request.)

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

cash crab posted:

After high school, a girl I was vaguely acquainted with ending up having a baby about ten months after graduation. She complained to me that she could habitually peel off sections of her gums. Something about the pregnancy screwed with her gums, lending a lot of credence to the old wive's tale that for every child you bear, you lose one tooth. Also, she was a nurse, and explained perineum tears over Christmas dinner, much to everyone's disgust.

Did she also talk about the involuntary urination and defecation during the final pushes of labor and the litre of amniotic fluid and the chunky, bloody placenta that women give birth to after baby comes out? Cuz those were interesting things to witness.

What about the cheese (vernix mucosa)/hair covered baby (the amount of each varies from baby to baby, the duration of gestation, etc.) turning increasingly deep shades of purple until its first big cry?

Childbirth is awful. And it has its own beauty. Same with children. It's unlikely anybody will provide an external reason that is sufficient to be convincing enough to have kids. It's basically a personal decision for which there is no single or "correct" rationale.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

You could do it right now if you had a digital camera.

(This is a statement, not a request.)

You'd think so but apparently that is a chat up line nowadays so what do I know.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Feather posted:

It's unlikely anybody will provide an external reason that is sufficient to be convincing enough to have kids. It's basically a personal decision for which there is no single or "correct" rationale.

Agreed.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Society without kids is like society without art: much more efficient utterly joyless.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I've gotten the selfish thing even though I'm a dude. I'm just trying to understand why someone would believe (most likely due to social pressures I'm sure) that about their own personal choice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Solkanar512 posted:

I've gotten the selfish thing even though I'm a dude. I'm just trying to understand why someone would believe (most likely due to social pressures I'm sure) that about their own personal choice.
That's where you bring out the appeal to consent. You might get some confused looks but it's very hard to call someone selfish over it.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Feather posted:

Did she also talk about the involuntary urination and defecation during the final pushes of labor and the litre of amniotic fluid and the chunky, bloody placenta that women give birth to after baby comes out? Cuz those were interesting things to witness.

What about the cheese (vernix mucosa)/hair covered baby (the amount of each varies from baby to baby, the duration of gestation, etc.) turning increasingly deep shades of purple until its first big cry?

Don't forget not making GBS threads for two weeks after giving birth.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Cicero posted:

Society without kids is like society without art: much more efficient utterly joyless.

Isn't this already happening? I live in a neighborhood primarily occupied by Boomers (because of the now crazy housing prices), and it is unsurprisingly childless. Although I'm not sure this really makes my life worse though...

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

EvilGenius posted:

Don't forget not making GBS threads for two weeks after giving birth.

Honestly the sensation of cutting through the umbilical cord gave me the willies more than the piss, poo poo, blood and placenta slurry I saw collecting under my wife's nether regions. I don't know why.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Isn't this already happening? I live in a neighborhood primarily occupied by Boomers (because of the now crazy housing prices), and it is unsurprisingly childless. Although I'm not sure this really makes my life worse though...
I'm not saying every place has to be occupied by kids at all times, I just think an entire society that is childfree is pretty depressing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno I can go weeks at a time without encountering children and I think it's pretty good.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Cicero posted:

I'm not saying every place has to be occupied by kids at all times, I just think an entire society that is childfree is pretty depressing.

It's called central London. Lived there for a year and saw no children and no dogs. Pretty good when you're 26.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EvilGenius posted:

It's called central London. Lived there for a year and saw no children and no dogs. Pretty good when you're 26.
The bankers ate them all :ohdear:

Probably for the best though, I wouldn't want children anywhere near where MPs live.

• Locked thread